Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

John Hayes is a ligind. Next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭b.gud

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Connacht
    NT
    BU
    GN
    FV
    CC
    BA
    TM
    PA

2 can play at this game, amended list below

NT
    BU
    GN
    FV
    CC
    MM
    BA
    TM
    PA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

b.gud wrote: »
    2 can play at this game, amended list below

NT
    BU
    GN
    FV
    CC
    MM
    BA
    TM
    PA

I think MM played for Ulster first, no? Unless it’s a different MM...?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think MM played for Ulster first, no? Unless it’s a different MM...?

The MM that he's thinking of ended up in zebre after connacht.

And your missing a Maori AB in the leinster list

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Any truth of rumors Ukster actively trying to recruit Israel Folau? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

sydthebeat wrote:
    The MM that he's thinking of ended up in zebre after connacht.

And your missing a Maori AB in the leinster list
    Both of those guys played in Japan. They had returned to NZ but I assume having had left NZ previously ruled them out?

Buer wrote: »
    Both of those guys played in Japan. They had returned to NZ but I assume having had left NZ previously ruled them out?

Hummmm maybe.
    I thought the criteria was just leaving a NZ team to go to a Irish team.

The above would make sense considering who's not on it

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Hummmm maybe.
    I thought the criteria was just leaving a NZ team to go to a Irish team.

The above would make sense considering who's not on it

Lets blame Swiwi for his ambiguous guidelines:
    players who ended up in Ireland after heading elsewhere first

FFS Buer. They weren’t « my » :p guidelines they were what the lads at the Herald used when they drew up the list. It was a super rugby player whose very next career move after quitting super rugby in NZ was to join an Irish province. If they went elsewhere such as Japan first then they made the list as having headed to japan after NZ.

As an aside since rugby turned pro, 1 in every 2 NZ players end up overseas at a rate of about 20 players/season, most popular age to leave is 28, most popular destinations England, France and Japan.

It was a super rugby player whose very next career move after quitting super rugby in NZ was to join an Irish province. If they went elsewhere such as Japan first then they made the list as having headed to japan after NZ.

well then that would bring the two unmentioned back into the frame :)

is there any others not mentioned as well i wonder?

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    well then that would bring the two unmentioned back into the frame :)

is there any others not mentioned as well i wonder?

Quite possibly. The Herald missed Craig Clarke, who I picked out, there are inevitably others that yourself and others can remember.

There are actually surpisingly few Kiwis who come directly Ireland, I would suggest even fewer now that the project player thing is esssentially finished and that the IRFU is, well, keen for Irish players to play for Ireland by coming through the Irish (English, Welsh :D) academies.

At the end of the day, the irish provinces are not going to want to enter into a financial bidding war with other countries for a team full of kiwi mercenaries. I would suggest they will make well-targeted bids for a player of interest corresponding to an area of need in the provinces.

Barring a miracle, I expect Super Rugby to become an academy competition for SANZAAR pups before they head overseas, and I expect within 20 years the ABs will be forced to select outside NZ.

But we see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

FFS Buer. They weren’t « my » :p guidelines they were what the lads at the Herald used when they drew up the list. It was a super rugby player whose very next career move after quitting super rugby in NZ was to join an Irish province. If they went elsewhere such as Japan first then they made the list as having headed to japan after NZ.

As an aside since rugby turned pro, 1 in every 2 NZ players end up overseas at a rate of about 20 players/season, most popular age to leave is 28, most popular destinations England, France and Japan.

Just went to have a look at that article and I discover the Herald is now charging for most of its content :mad: **** you NZ Herald!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

https://twitter.com/i/status/1131311452437061633

crazy how ford is ahead of him in england setup

https://twitter.com/i/status/1131311452437061633

crazy how ford is ahead of him in england setup

Ford is a reliable pro.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hmmm. Geography 101 for you Pickarooney...

I somehow missed NZ twice in the opening sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Item about concussion in schools rugby on Prime Time, RTE 1, right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Great to see Rob Horne looking well, whatever about the weight loss post playing, the muscle wastage of the right arm is shocking to see.

https://twitter.com/christianday/status/1131907125083611137?s=21

481096.png

You're not the first nor the last mon ami.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

481096.png

You're not the first nor the last mon ami.

"New Zealand: Australia's Australia."

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

troyzer wrote: »
    The worst thing you can see about Haskell is that he's got a lot of personality and isn't afraid to show it. Some might not like him but at least he's not an automaton like most players.

He's always been a grafter and I take him at his word that he went to the Highlanders just to experience it and money was secondary.

https://youtu.be/hQdZpFsbAbk

lovely guy , his boat trips with wasps are also another thing to be proud of , he ran into too many rugby posts , not a very nice person

Swinging a punch at someone who is holding you in at a scrum and being on an end of season session that gets completely out of hand...

If that's the measure for being a bad person you can take issue with half of seasoned rugby players in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Buer wrote: »
    Swinging a punch at someone who is holding you in at a scrum and being on an end of season session that gets completely out of hand...

If that's the measure for being a bad person you can take issue with half of seasoned rugby players in Ireland.

Paul Oconnell qualifies instantly under that criteria for the Ryan Caldwell incident

A yellow card for that is eye popping. You'd never get a yellow for that now.

How is he number 25?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,289 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

https://twitter.com/ultimaterugby/status/1132945116455419904?s=19

Key is the following decision making tree

VCGD4Fp.jpg

Key is the following decision making tree

VCGD4Fp.jpg

Keeping rugby simple...

Argies calling up their overseas stars for the RWC. I think it's a measure of their strength in the back 3 that neither Juan Imhoff nor Santiago Cordero got chosen. Cordero in particular has had a pretty decent season for Exeter.

Pocock retiring from test rugby after the world cup. He's struggling with a calf injury and isn't expected to appear for the Brumbies again.

troyzer wrote: »
    Pocock retiring from test rugby after the world cup. He's struggling with a calf injury and isn't expected to appear for the Brumbies again.

That's very disappointing, the man could single handedly make **** of entire packs of forwards by himself. Terrific player. Feels like we've lost two world great test back rows this week.

On the other hand a hape of trees are about to get planted.

• Advertisement

That's very disappointing, the man could single handedly make **** of entire packs of forwards by himself. Terrific player. Feels like we've lost two world great test back rows this week.

On the other hand a hape of trees are about to get planted.

Well he's going back to the top league. But yeah, totally agree other than that.

One of the greatest back rowers ever to play the game and he'll probably be reduced to limping over the line in a poor world cup for the wallabies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement