Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

It seems Warren G has been officially appointed as coach to the Lions 2021 tour of South Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Erik Shun wrote: »
    It seems Warren G has been officially appointed as coach to the Lions 2021 tour of South Africa

Good stuff. He's built for it.

I'm planning on going to that one, never been on a Lions tour before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Morgan Parra looks goosed, ankle was caught under him as he was cleared out of a ruck. Nasty.

Also it seems a bit mad you can play in both the Champions and Challege Cup in one season.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

razorblunt wrote: »
    Also it seems a bit mad you can play in both the Champions and Challege Cup in one season.

I don't think you can?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

You can't

I don't think you can?

You used to be able to during the ERC years.

I don't think you can?
    You can't

Someone better tell Gibbs to get Wian Liebenburg off the pitch then!

Ah I thought you meant the same team playing in both.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,057 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think you can only be cup tied within the same Competition.

• Advertisement

I always presumed once you played in one that was you done.

I always presumed once you played in one that was you done.

Think it's a case that you can't play for another team in the same cup, but if it's a separate cup it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Lovely try.

The ground was slow to fill up but that's a very respectable attendance for an all-French Challenge Cup final.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Don't know why Kay is saying brilliant kick. West had acres to aim at. No need to stick it into the try area. That's what made it impossible to ground. Just kick pass and guaranteed try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Quite surprised at my own reaction - I think of myself as a fairly sanguine, philosophical kind of boozehound, but I'm genuinely feeling "slap it up ye, Jonno Gibbes".

Also, delighted for Kayser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

A few Haskell stories around today...1 I find surprising is that when he played with the Highlanders, he was paid £10k a year...it cost him money to play there... but dif so anyway as he wanted to experience the SH game

Erik Shun wrote: »
    A few Haskell stories around today...1 I find surprising is that when he played with the Highlanders, he was paid £10k a year...it cost him money to play there... but dif so anyway as he wanted to experience the SH game

He said on House of Rugby he was being paid less at Northampton than he was an academy player at Wasps. Took less money than he would've got if he took a contract in France again or Japan etc, as he wanted to stay in England and try compete for a national team spot again.

I really admire Haskell for travelling world rugby, I don’t think it’s done enough especially by players that are out of favour as he was at the time.

The worst thing you can see about Haskell is that he's got a lot of personality and isn't afraid to show it. Some might not like him but at least he's not an automaton like most players.

He's always been a grafter and I take him at his word that he went to the Highlanders just to experience it and money was secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

ROG to La Rochelle as backs coach confirmed, working under Jono Gibbes.

http://ow.ly/n3am30oIHgh

• Advertisement

One step closer......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Good move for ROG.....they have plenty of money and investing in the squad

Gibbes is a quality coach as well and will have the forwards rocking....

Should be interesting to see what they come up with next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Most importantly, a cracking part of the world to live in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I really admire what ROG seems to be doing, he’s taken some cracking jobs and is seeing first hand different setups and methods. He could probably have had some job here but seems to be holding off until he’s happy he can do it well. I’ve said before he must have his eye on Ireland via Munster.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

salmocab wrote: »
    I really admire what ROG seems to be doing, he’s taken some cracking jobs and is seeing first hand different setups and methods. He could probably have had some job here but seems to be holding off until he’s happy he can do it well. I’ve said before he must have his eye on Ireland via Munster.

Agree completely..

He has gone about building his coaching CV in a really strong way.

As you say he probably could have "moved upstairs" in Munster on retirement without too much difficulty , but he went the harder (and better) path by getting out of his comfort zone and learning lots of different approaches across clubs and countries.

What price ROG being part of the Ireland coaching ticket for the 2023 RWC?

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Agree completely..

As you say he probably could have "moved upstairs" in Munster on retirement without too much difficulty , but he went the harder (and better) path by getting out of his comfort zone and learning lots of different approaches across clubs and countries.

I can't see any head coach of Ireland bringing in ROG unless the IRFU bring him in as a long term replacement

Imagine Farrell and everytime you lose a game and ROG is a coach, cue cries from a certain fan base about giving the job to ROG....it would be a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Agree completely..

I’d think he’s playing a longer game than that,I’d imagine he’s looking at Munster first and Ireland whenever the job becomes available, presumably having done at least 2 years as head coach with Munster. He’s not old anyway and can’t be in any panic if his moves so far are anything to go by.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I can't see any head coach of Ireland bringing in ROG unless the IRFU bring him in as a long term replacement

Imagine Farrell and everytime you lose a game and ROG is a coach, cue cries from a certain fan base about giving the job to ROG....it would be a nightmare

Fair point - Shades of Gatland and Eddie....
    salmocab wrote: »
    I’d think he’s playing a longer game than that,I’d imagine he’s looking at Munster first and Ireland whenever the job becomes available, presumably having done at least 2 years as head coach with Munster. He’s not old anyway and can’t be in any panic if his moves so far are anything to go by.

Probably accurate.. Time is on his side for sure , and everything so far says that he's more interested in gaining the experience and skills rather then skipping steps to get to an end goal.

It was mentioned, not sure if it was him about getting an international job too early

You do it for a few years and then bang, what do you do? Eddie was wrote off very early in his career

Farrell is different as he can shoot back over water and potentially work his way towards the England job

An Irish coach the peak is managing Ireland , do that from 50-55 and then what you do at 56?

Rog will do a lot of coaching before he takes the top job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    An Irish coach the peak is managing Ireland , do that from 50-55 and then what you do at 56?

If he is successful then get a pretty penny coaching in France? Hell, if he's good enough, he could coach almost anywhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement