Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a pint in your local

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

£3.40 a pint.
    Less for those ales that get hand pumped at room temperature. They're generally awful, unless you're into that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Blut2

Wetherspoons is fantastic. As well as the 2.75e pints they also have amazing deals on quality spirits. A double Hendricks gin&tonic for 7eur. A double Redbreast 12 year old whiskey for 7euro. Anyone who says they "only sell dishwater" has clearly never set foot in one. And the Blackrock one is grand, the Dun Laoghaire one is extremely nice, as far as pubs go interior wise too.

They really just show how much normal Irish pubs are completely taking the piss with their prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

€4.40 for a fine pint of Arthur's, reasonable enough at that IMO. My personal favourite Murphy's is €4.20 and Beamish bang on €4 if I remember correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Under a fiver for Guinness and consider its in a suburb of Dublin I can’t really complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

€4.30 for a pint Of Guinness in a country pub in south Tipperary

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Blut2 wrote: »
    Wetherspoons is fantastic. As well as the 2.75e pints they also have amazing deals on quality spirits. A double Hendricks gin&tonic for 7eur. A double Redbreast 12 year old whiskey for 7euro. Anyone who says they "only sell dishwater" has clearly never set foot in one. And the Blackrock one is grand, the Dun Laoghaire one is extremely nice, as far as pubs go interior wise too.

They really just show how much normal Irish pubs are completely taking the piss with their prices.

have been to both , they are the standard tatty English pubs and the warm grimy beer is horrible while the food must surely be illegal to serve to any one but inmates.

however you do have a very valid point about the quality and value for money of the spirits

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

£2.10 (say €2.40) but I am unlikely to come out alive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

dotsman wrote: »
    P.S. - A 500ml bottle is a pint.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

During Happy Hour (4-6, Mon-Fri) $3.75 for a beer with a second one free

url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiWmKKAl6riAhUOXq0KHZ9LAc8QjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.milehighhappyhour.com%2Fcentral-downtown%2Fshelbys-bar-grill%2F&psig=AOvVaw2GogP-y_6C72-wcAFyxkFZ&ust=1558444139581367

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

$9.75 for a Sam Adams / Carlsberg or an undrinkable Guinness.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Since when?
    A pint is 568ml
    Flincher wrote: »
    $9.75 for a Sam Adams / Carlsberg or an undrinkable Guinness.

La Jolla country club, San Diego ?

5 snots a pint of Guinness blue haven

5.20 old orchard Inn.

I know it can be bought cheaper in a town like fun dunlaogaire, but quality may be an issue, especially since my favourite seaside venue buck Henry's closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Since when?
    A pint is 568ml
    No.

Actually, it is!

You can even test it yourself with the following test.
    Steps
    1. Take one standard issue pub pint glass.
    2. Take one standard issue 500ml bottle of beer (e.g. Budvar)
    3. Carefully* pour contents from said bottle of beer in to aforementioned pint glass.

Results:
    A pint glass full to the brim with a 1cm head.

When you order a pint in a pub from the tap, you are typically getting ~500ml of beer and ~1cm of head. When on the continent (where everything is the metric system), you will still get the same sized glass as here, it is just that they refer to it as a half-liter.

If you even take your standard issue Mass Glass for Oktoberfest. While it is described as a liter of beer, it fits 1 liter of beer and approx 3cm of head. In the following photo, the line where the beer currently resides is actually the 1 liter mark and the head is gone (either drunk or left gone flat)

Jugg_with_Beer_Loewenbraeu_one_liter.JPG

*Pour too fast and you will gt too big a head, thus not enough room in the pint glass for the entire contents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

That's serious clutching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Anyone heading out for a few gargles this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Anyone heading out for a few gargles this evening

Ive been inspired by this thread to do just that, my local is a good 65 metres away, but its nice evening for a walk anyway. Guinness/Smithwicks is €4.20, Heineken/Carsberg €4.50 and Carling €3.50. Pint bottle Bulmers a fiver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I would quite enjoy a dirty Monday one, though the Guinness is horrendous in my Dublin 'local'.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Actually, it is!

You can even test it yourself with the following test.
    Steps
    1. Take one standard issue pub pint glass.
    2. Take one standard issue 500ml bottle of beer (e.g. Budvar)
    3. Carefully* pour contents from said bottle of beer in to aforementioned pint glass.

Results:
    A pint glass full to the brim with a 1cm head.

When you order a pint in a pub from the tap, you are typically getting ~500ml of beer and ~1cm of head. When on the continent (where everything is the metric system), you will still get the same sized glass as here, it is just that they refer to it as a half-liter.

If you even take your standard issue Mass Glass for Oktoberfest. While it is described as a liter of beer, it fits 1 liter of beer and approx 3cm of head. In the following photo, the line where the beer currently resides is actually the 1 liter mark and the head is gone (either drunk or left gone flat)

Jugg_with_Beer_Loewenbraeu_one_liter.JPG

*Pour too fast and you will gt too big a head, thus not enough room in the pint glass for the entire contents.

Here's a better test.

1. Take two pint glasses. (Actually standard pint glasses you'd find in a pub in Ireland. Not some bin glass from Europe.
    2. Buy two bottles of Guinness. One 500ml, one pint (568ml)
    3. Pour both into each glass.
    4. One glass will contain a pint and the other will contain 500ml. You will also note they are not at the same level.

Around a euro thirty where I normally go, which is a streetside spot but with good beer.

The more expensive nice bar I sometimes go to is three euro for the cheapest. I'm not a big beer guy so a regular lager is all I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

Around a euro thirty where I normally go, which is a streetside spot but with good beer.

The more expensive nice bar I sometimes go to is three euro for the cheapest. I'm not a big beer guy so a regular lager is all I'm looking for.

Where ?

• Advertisement

Where ?

Vietnam.

It's not all sunshine and roses. I live with some of the worst air in the world and people try to kill me on the road every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Vietnam.

It's not all sunshine and roses. I live with some of the worst air in the world and people try to kill me on the road every day.

They're probably all pissed from drinking €1.30 pints :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Here's a better test.

1. Take two pint glasses. (Actually standard pint glasses you'd find in a pub in Ireland. Not some bin glass from Europe.
    2. Buy two bottles of Guinness. One 500ml, one pint (568ml)
    3. Pour both into each glass.
    4. One glass will contain a pint and the other will contain 500ml. You will also note they are not at the same level.

OK, to begin with, Guinness is a whole world onto itself!

But, the following should be noted: Here is a video from Guiness about how to pour a 500ml bottle in to a (pint) glass. Notice how it fills the pint glass completely, the very same way as if you had purchased a pint from a bar.

It's not rocket science. A pint glass holds 568 ml in volume. A 500 ml bottle of anything being sold contains 500 ml of liquid. With beer, gas is released that creates a "head" that fills the last ~68 ml of that glass.

By the way, do pint bottles of Guinness even exist? I thought they died out in the 90's. Did people pour them into a glass or drink them straight from the bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Just under €6, I drink there a fair bit and I will never bother checking the exact price.. No wonder I'm always broke

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

€4.50 for the likes of Bud/Heineken etc.
    €4.20 for Guinness.
    €3.20 for Carling.

This is fairly standard pricing around Enniscorthy. Go to the likes of The Riverside Park and you pay Dublin prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

But, the following should be noted: Here is a video from Guiness about how to pour a 500ml bottle in to a (pint) glass. Notice how it fills the pint glass completely, the very same way as if you had purchased a pint from a bar.

It's not rocket science. A pint glass holds 568 ml in volume. A 500 ml bottle of anything being sold contains 500 ml of liquid. With beer, gas is released that creates a "head" that fills the last ~68 ml of that glass.

By the way, do pint bottles of Guinness even exist? I thought they died out in the 90's. Did people pour them into a glass or drink them straight from the bottle?

A large bockle of the shelf is still popular in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

Pint bottles of Guinness were always poured into a half pint glass.

Guinness’ ad slogan was that you could get three glasses from a pint bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Blut2 wrote: »

It would cost a pub about €6 for a double 12yo redbreast. Not sure how spoons could even be viable at those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

7.30 eur or so
    New Zealand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Blut2

jasper100 wrote: »
    It would cost a pub about €6 for a double 12yo redbreast. Not sure how spoons could even be viable at those prices.

They buy in massive quantities (900 odd pubs in the chain) so probably get a decent a bulk discount on their booze. But otherwise I'd imagine they just operate much more efficiently, and at lower profit margins, than traditional Dublin pubs with their 6euro pints.

Their spirits with mixers are even better value, too - because the mixer is free. A double Hendricks gin and tonic is even better value than the Redbreast: 7euro in Spoons versus 15euro+ in a normal pub.

Advertisement