Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Villa were going to pay him a huge wedge. I'd also have trouble believing that's how much he's being paid basic, as with all wages it's probably hugely incentivised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Without Messi (if he does actually end up going) Griezmann could shine though... it was an incredibly dumb move to buy him in the first place, given that he plays his best football exactly where Messi does, so he's had to play a different type of game instead. But if he got to go back to being the main man as a hard working central player he could be great for them. The only question is the wages really - they might need to just get him off the wage bill, and Atleti are offering an 'out' for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So can City finally register Aguero, Depay & Garica now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

what grealish is getting paid has exactly zero to do with him and he would just be told the figure from his agent.

david manasseh is his agent and one of the best around. also bales agent (same company). in the agents eyes its a british record transfer so the wages have to correlate and rightly so.

the agents commission is linked to the weekly salary. i would assume the actual basic is something like 250k/275k. bonuses on appearances and loyalty etc can all be factored in to get to the 370k per week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

City are only doing what the major clubs with access to massive funding have always done.

If they spend wisely, build a team well and attain good results then they will have done something other clubs have messed up at various times. Lille are champions of France (not PSG), Man Utd have not been close in years, Barca achieved unpredented Revenue and wasted it, Juve went for Ronaldo but ended up with Pirlo as manager (???) while Inter became champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

[quote]We spent £40 million on Jack Grealish  - we paid £100m and £60m of that was raised from transfers,” said Pep.[/quote]

What kind of rubbish is this from Pep?

Living in a net spend world. Sold Sane last summer, sold a few others from under 23s for 8 figures last and this summer.

Yes I understand that. It's football transfers 101.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What covered the cost of the £120m buys then last year?

• Advertisement

No idea, I am not saying Pep is right and I doubt he has much of a role in theit finances. With the recent news about the premier league looking at their finances then the club will want employees talking up how City part fund player purchases with sales. Will probably want the media asking soft questions in that area also.

In the end the spent a record fee for Grealish. Villa will do a lot with that money.

They raised money selling Sane who they bought in the first place for £37 million. Simply rubbish.

I don't know if he has so little interest in the financial side that he doesn't understand it or he's trying to spin something.

They sold Sane £40m and Otamendi for £13m for and then bought Dais, Ake, Torres for a combined £120m.

That all adds up to £100m from sales last summer for Grealish alright (pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Fair play if you can get that form a generic statement

City will actively try to send messages about what a sound football structure they have to try and trivialise the issue of where their revenue is really coming from.

Pep is the key person they will have on front of the media to 'sell' that message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭billyhead

Trying to save face. Do people honestly believe he wasn't meant to turn up at training. Hes trying to appease the fans because it looks unlikely he will go to City.

Man City's net spend in the last 10 years is just about £1b so Pep really is taking out is backside when he talks about rising money from sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Since he joined City I'd imagine their spending is double most of the rest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hope it works out for Demiral at Atalanta. Hasn't been the same player since he did his cruciate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Why do some people have such a fascination with net spend? It's such a flawed view of club spending. What about all the prize money City have won in the past 10 years for all the trophy's they won. Was none of that money used for transfers? Also does commercial revenue generated come into the equation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I used to like Pep when he was at Barcelona but he has become very unlikeable since he went to City.

He never looks happy there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭billyhead

Messi I signing for PSG on a 2 year deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,205 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

PSG offering him €40m a year after tax according to L’Equipe.

A 2 year deal with an option of a 3rd.

Good points and City have got a good retrurn on their money overall.

Question marks over how City grew their Revenue will always be a feature of the conversation.

I mean, outside of Barca they are his only realistic option so I get it alright, just thought it had been confirmed the way you posted 🤷🏻‍♂️

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

prize money is so negligible between the top clubs its not a factor.

for example:

city: 154m

utd 153

chelsea: 151

liverpool: 148

thats 20/21 PL season. so winning the PL for 5 years straight gets you an extra 30m roughly over the team that finishes 4th for 5 years running.

i've not looked into commercial or CL, but city aint top on either of those metrics. guessing, i would say utd and liverpool.

city have a bottomless pit of money and have forever made a FB cost 50m, and so on.

i dont know where i stand with the whole thing, but they have broken the system with the ability to pay 50m for a defender, he dont work out, repeat and recycle till it does work out. its the wages other teams cant absorb i think rather than the transfer fee.

Like another poster said, he's trying to save face and get back on the good side of the fans. Why would he put a statement out reassuring the fans of his professionalism and love for the fans, only to leave the club in the next few days/weeks. That would be a really muggy thing to do.

I'm sure deep down Kane wanted to leave and probably had a "gentleman's agreement" to leave this summer, but now realises it's not going to happen after the money City, United & PSG are spending elsewhere.

Post edited by wanderer100 on

Messi does seem to be mad for money , his dad too.

You'd think after all the money he has made at Barcelona that he would show some loyalty and maybe stay for a year for a knock down price, even free, considering the financial mess the club are in.

He is worth 500m.

It seems his proposed new 5 year contract with Barcelona was a bit of a scam.

The reason it was going to be a five-year deal is that it is likely that Messi would play the next two years but it's a longer deal so that he stays linked to the club as an ambassador. But the talk is he might go to MLS after two years while still being paid by the club.

It's a way for Barcelona to spread out the payment over five years.

Its not really a pay cut at all.

His last contract was 4 years at a total of over $670m (560m euro), and his new contract was really a 2 year contract at a total of $420m as the last 3 years wouldnt be at Barcelona.

PSG are offering 40m euro per year supposedly, thats a fraction of what he was on at Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

that was a bit of a drunken ramble

Post edited by y0ssar1an22 on

Rumours picking up that Aguero wants to leave Barcelona now and his lawyers are reviewing the terms of the contract he signed just a few weeks ago. Bloody hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Aguero leaves because no Messi

Barca re-sign Messi because they no longer have to pay Aguero.

The system works!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,409 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Messi is a Billionaire, if I was him I'd stay at Barca and play for free. Barca has ruined itself to line his pockets for the last 14 years. and Messi's answer is to go rinse PSG now.

I noticed something tonight, users that should be on my ignore list are visible, anyone know how to re add people to that list or is that just another casualty of the migration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, you've gotta just go into each persons profile, click the little 'silhouette/profile' button at the top right, and hit ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Peps comments on the revenue yesterday relate to this summer. City have generated decent revenue from selling a lot of players who were on loan like jack harrison to leeds and lukas nmecha to wolfsberg. They also got a chunk of money for the Sancho deal i think 15m. Herrera on loan at Granada linked with west ham and a few others for 20m plus. I think Illic left or is leaving for close to 10m.

this is what he means.

Also whats the source for Grealish wages? There have been numerous reports ranging from 200-375, does anyone really have a clue or is it just pick the highest one to suit the city bashing agenda? Personally i dont think anyone(im talking journalists) have a clue. Id bet its heavily incentivized like all city contracts, given his price tag it will be substantial but unlikely he walks in earning more than the top earner(kdb) there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

City bashing ? They were actually banned via FFP for falsifying sponsorship deals..

And continue to do so.

It's all a sham and there's folks like yourselves who would twist and turn to pretend sales are balancing out. We had pep on video saying they can't afford to buy a single player for 100 million just like all clubs we can't afford. Yet here we are.

There are no rules now . The jig is up and football as passed what everyone speculates it is. A slush fund for billionaires.

• Advertisement

I tried that, says profile is private so can't see anything other than what I assume are posts the person has made. Maybe it will work from the desktop site if I ever use that, thanks though

You can amend your ignore list within your own profile, link at bottom of this thread if you can't find it within your profile:

He is no longer a Barca player yet once again he is showing he is bigger than Barca by holding a press conference there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

What makes me smile is that spelling out City's spending (or PSG's or the oligarchs') is meant to be bashing them.

I have no issue with them doing whatever they are allowed to do. But that doesn't mean we pretend that it doesn't skew the field. Pretending it doesn't is just dishonest.

For example, I'd respect Pep or the City fans far more if they put their balls on the table and told me that they're using their financial muscle to wipe out the competition, to stockpile the squad, and good luck to anyone stopping it.

This fantasy that the playing field is level just does nobody favours. Fans feel the need to be defensive about things that everyone knows is true.

The field has always been skewed in favour of those with the most income though, it has never been level and will never be level.

Complaining about certain teams with more money is hollow when it is just the latest teams with the most money that are spoken about. It is a feature of football and many many sports that throughout history those with the most funding can attain players or infrastructure that others cannot.

Real Madrid did not win 13 European Cups without having privelege and significant advantages over other sides.

The 4 major leagues could be regarded as dominated by a select few clubs over the leagues history (only teams with double digit title wins) - Spain have Real, Barca, Atletico - England have Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal - Italy have Juventus, Inter, AC Milan - Germany have Bayern (Alone).

There is a reason why Blackburn, Leicester, Lille, Deportivo, Monpellier, Sampdoria title wins are so amazing.

In our own league it is a regular feature that the teams with the biggest budget will be winning the league.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Lukaku to Chelsea going ahead apparently, 115m.

Everything flowing towards the PL, with the exception of PSG.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lukaku struggles where the whole system isn't built around him. Chelsea have a lot of players who like the ball so unsure how well he'll work but he'll get his 20 odd goals a season I guess.

Inter are in a bit of a mess financially. Owners under pressure to sell from Cina authorities, had issues paying salaries. The whole league is in a spot right now so they could still do well in the season ahead if they get Zapata in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement