Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MS in all its glory

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

A few fell between two stools, gps were told consultants would put people forward, consultants thought GPs were doing it. On the plus side, you are less likely to get AZ and more likely one of the far more effective ones.

I looked at the priority list when it first came out and it prioritised MS patients on certain medications. My medication wasn't listed so didn't think I could get vaccinated before my age cohort. The HSE line for priority seemed to be don't call us, we'll call you. I didn't do anything further about it either, just took it that I'd have to wait until they reached 35-39 age group. The neurologist was a bit surprised I wasn't vaccinated already. At least now I'll hopefully get Pfizer or Moderna.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I looked at the priority list when it first came out and it prioritised MS patients on certain medications. My medication wasn't listed so didn't think I could get vaccinated before my age cohort. The HSE line for priority seemed to be don't call us, we'll call you. I didn't do anything further about it either, just took it that I'd have to wait until they reached 35-39 age group. The neurologist was a but surprised I wasn't vaccinated already. At least now I'll hopefully get Pfizer or Moderna.

That changed again and many GPS are now doing any patients with chronic conditions by now . You shouldn’t have to wait for your age cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I looked at the priority list when it first came out and it prioritised MS patients on certain medications. My medication wasn't listed so didn't think I could get vaccinated before my age cohort. The HSE line for priority seemed to be don't call us, we'll call you. I didn't do anything further about it either, just took it that I'd have to wait until they reached 35-39 age group. The neurologist was a bit surprised I wasn't vaccinated already. At least now I'll hopefully get Pfizer or Moderna.

My meds weren't listed either but I still got done well before my age cohort.

Ring your GP, that's how I got it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

That changed again and many GPS are now doing any patients with chronic conditions by now . You shouldn’t have to wait for your age cohort.

Im 44 and on Gilyenia and got Moderna 2/3 weeks back got a text saying I was referred to by hospital as high risk and to confirm if I wished to get vaccine etc. So maybe try MS nurse as well ?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I called our GP this morning about my sister who is also cohort 7. She has an intellectual disability and wouldn't be able to organise a vaccine for herself. I didn't mention my own vaccine because I thought the hospital were going to take care if it. GP rang me back and and booked the two of us in. Very surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

MyAccount wrote: »
    I also take Vitamin D and a B12 supplement. I have regular blood tests, as Anemia seems to be always lurking in in the background, as well as to monitor potential nasty side effects from my MS medication (Plegridy). Just in case that frightens anyone, I’ve not had any significant side effects, and think that such monitoring is precautionary as the doctors like to watch it just in case.

If anything the regular testing is good overall as it helps catch other stuff early; in my case a mildly under active Thyroid was spotted and regulating that was very beneficial, as once that was sorted my fatigue / energy levels improved noticeably.

Theres a lot of work being done showing Ms is an auto immune disease and benefits from high doses of vit D and a few other vitamins.
    There's a guy in South Dublin I know with Ms but has been symptom free for years. Does a lot of work with other sufferers. He's also found the flushing out of heavy metals has a benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MyAccount

Got my second dose if Pfizer today. Feeling a bit rough but that's not uncommon and small price to pay. Looking forward to getting back to meeting a few pals responsibley in the next short while.

Second dose of Pfizer due this evening- it'll be full steam ahead for our wedding in August after that!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Second dose of Pfizer due this evening- it'll be full steam ahead for our wedding in August after that!!

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,357 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

2nd dose of AZ about an hour ago. I have my paracetamol and naxopen set out , with water , and made my bed so its cosy when I get in. Which will probably be in 3-2-1 zzzz

• Advertisement

getting 2nd Moderna dose this week - Had no issues on first one but hearing few people with bad side effects on 2nd one - anyone here have issues after 2nd one ? Am on Gilynea .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

whatever76 wrote: »
    getting 2nd Moderna dose this week - Had no issues on first one but hearing few people with bad side effects on 2nd one - anyone here have issues after 2nd one ? Am on Gilynea .

Hey whatever,I got my second shot of moderna about 3 weeks or so ago. I felt awful after it. Cold sweats, temperature of 38.5,aches and pains etc. This kicked in about 12 hours after the shot for me. Thankfully it all died down within 24 hours but it wasn't a fun ride. Hopefully you won't get any side effects

Hey whatever,I got my second shot of moderna about 3 weeks or so ago. I felt awful after it. Cold sweats, temperature of 38.5,aches and pains etc. This kicked in about 12 hours after the shot for me. Thankfully it all died down within 24 hours but it wasn't a fun ride. Hopefully you won't get any side effects

thanks Discobreaker - good to have the heads up on what to expect and it over within the 24 hours ! Will keep you posted !!

I had my 2nd Pfizer jab on Fri- was actually fine until Sat night when I got a temp and aches/pains. Got an early night and woke up fine on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Dante

Hi folks, just trying to figure out what to do regarding my partner's drivers license after diagnosis.

She has already informed her insurer but is unsure about what needs to be done on the NDLS side. Obviously she needs to inform them of the diagnosis, however her current license is not up for renewal for 5+ years.

What is the usual process for informing them and what should she expect after doing so? She found an NDLS form online but it seems to be only for renewing your license.

Thanks!

Dante wrote: »
    Hi folks, just trying to figure out what to do regarding my partner's drivers license after diagnosis.

She has already informed her insurer but is unsure about what needs to be done on the NDLS side. Obviously she needs to inform them of the diagnosis, however her current license is not up for renewal for 5+ years.

What is the usual process for informing them and what should she expect after doing so? She found an NDLS form online but it seems to be only for renewing your license.

Thanks!

If you go to page 168 there are details on this as I asked v same question few months back - you will need to update Drivers license as they add a code ( 101 ) , but first you will need get a form filled by your GP and also pending on insurances co they MAY look for a GP declaration as well so try and get both at same time if needed ! No impact to Premium once GP signs off and states you are medically fit to drive.

Form is here - https://www.ndls.ie/images/Documents/DrivingLicence/D401_Full_Licence_app_form.pdf
    Medical form - https://www.ndls.ie/images/Documents/Forms/168486_NDLS_Medical_Form_AUG%202020_WEB_HR.pdf

more details here - your best do it in person at minute rather than online if you don't have GOV ID as at time in March the service for getting these was not in service

https://www.ndls.ie/licensed-driver/update-my-personal-details.html#to-apply-in-person-at-an-ndls-centre-for-a-change-of-medical-details

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Dante

whatever76 wrote: »
    If you go to page 168 there are details on this as I asked v same question few months back - you will need to update Drivers license as they add a code ( 101 ) , but first you will need get a form filled by your GP and also pending on insurances co they MAY look for a GP declaration as well so try and get both at same time if needed ! No impact to Premium once GP signs off and states you are medically fit to drive.

Form is here - https://www.ndls.ie/images/Documents/DrivingLicence/D401_Full_Licence_app_form.pdf
    Medical form - https://www.ndls.ie/images/Documents/Forms/168486_NDLS_Medical_Form_AUG%202020_WEB_HR.pdf

more details here - your best do it in person at minute rather than online if you don't have GOV ID as at time in March the service for getting these was not in service

https://www.ndls.ie/licensed-driver/update-my-personal-details.html#to-apply-in-person-at-an-ndls-centre-for-a-change-of-medical-details

Thank you!

Dante wrote: »

Thanks!

My insurer made me get my licence re issued with a note on it saying I had a medical issue. Wasn't a massive deal, I had to get a letter from my Dr saying I was fit to drive etc.

Only pain was having to apply in person!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

Hi All, mind if I jump in?
    I'm being seen in the ms clinic in St Vincent's now after getting optic neuritis in January. Sudden, severe vision loss in one eye meant 3 days iv steroids followed by 3 months steroids at home. A first mri showed just 1 lesion and the consultant in Vincent's called my diagnosis a CIS. Then a lumbar showed oligoclonal bands and I've to have another mri next month followed by a consultant appt in August. I feel like I'm in complete limbo because no one will tell me what happened or what's wrong with me.
    My eyesight hasn't returned to normal and gets worse with exercise but calms down once I cool down. In the last 2 weeks I've woken up twice with pins and needles in my arm and get hit randomly with tiredness I didn't experience with newborns.
    Am I right to set myself up for an ms diagnosis? I nearly don't mind now because it would just mean I might get answers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

It sounds that way, Ladyella. I know they often wait for the second exacerbation to diagnose MS. I only had three small lesions at my first MRI but had lots of other things flare up before the lumber puncture results came back so was actually put on meds two weeks after my first symptom. Have they put you in contact with the MS nurse in the hospital?

• Advertisement

Thanks loveinapril. I wonder will they class the eye worsening as little flare ups that go away once I stop exercising?
    Yeah I got the email for the nurse and have been in contact by phone and email about results of the lp. She's the one who told me actually that it was a CIS diagnosis at the moment and that the doctor wasn't changing that yet. I haven't been in touch with her to tell her about the pins and needles but I don't know if I should either, I'm loathe to make a nuisance of myself more than I already have!

ladyella wrote: »
    Hi All, mind if I jump in?
    I'm being seen in the ms clinic in St Vincent's now after getting optic neuritis in January. Sudden, severe vision loss in one eye meant 3 days iv steroids followed by 3 months steroids at home. A first mri showed just 1 lesion and the consultant in Vincent's called my diagnosis a CIS. Then a lumbar showed oligoclonal bands and I've to have another mri next month followed by a consultant appt in August. I feel like I'm in complete limbo because no one will tell me what happened or what's wrong with me.
    My eyesight hasn't returned to normal and gets worse with exercise but calms down once I cool down. In the last 2 weeks I've woken up twice with pins and needles in my arm and get hit randomly with tiredness I didn't experience with newborns.
    Am I right to set myself up for an ms diagnosis? I nearly don't mind now because it would just mean I might get answers

Diagnosis of multiple sclerosis can often be protracted. I was told I probably had MS 10 minutes before I was discharged after a 2 week hospital stay. My diagnosis went on for another 18 months. I was stable over the 18 months and my lumbar puncture was normal as well. The longer things went on the more optimistic I was getting that it was a CIS. My neurologist never used the term CIS though and always said it was probable MS until she formally called it. Limbo is a good way of putting it, I definitely felt that way. Once you get a bit of clarity you can move one with things.

Thanks Nigel. It certainly feels drawn out but in reality it's probably not too bad considering the pandemic and all that goes with that. 3 weeks until my second mri and then the doctor in August for results.
    The nurse did mention a probability of being put on anti inflammatories, not sure what that's for, maybe my eye? Time will tell anyway and I do feel a bit better having spoken here, like I'm not on my own!

It was pretty drawn out for me before my neurologist called it. My GP had said MS was her guess ,MRI's showed old lesions but it wasn't until my 2nd LP (during a 'relapse) that the neuro gave me an official diagnosis. My major symptoms were periodic weakness and tremors in one side. It was 2+ years all told .

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Blinder

I haven't been in touch with her to tell her about the pins and needles but I don't know if I should either, I'm loathe to make a nuisance of myself more than I already have!

I think you should tell them. Don't worry about being a nuisance. It's good to give them information.
    Do you have an email address for them? That's usually how I communicate with the MS nurses and it doesn't feel then like I'm a nuisance/interrupting them.

Thanks guys. What a minefield. I do have an email address for the nurse so I'll contact her just to fill in the gaps as I will surely forget something when it comes to appt time.

Thanks guys. What a minefield. I do have an email address for the nurse so I'll contact her just to fill in the gaps as I will surely forget something when it comes to appt time.

Every MS related site I've been on say keep a diary of symptoms , triggers etc just for that very reason. It a good thing to jot things down in a notebook and at appointments you can just read through it.

cj maxx wrote: »
    Every MS related site I've been on say keep a diary of symptoms , triggers etc just for that very reason. It a good thing to jot things down in a notebook and at appointments you can just read through it.

Or you could be like me where there's no rhyme or reason to your symptoms flaring!

8 visits to the house by police since September 2018 , 8 breathalyser tests ( all 0%) and was just pulled over by police ! It seems (according to the officer) someone tried to stop me from driving, and when I didn't see them called 999.
    I don't give a sh1t, I'm not going to use my walking stick till its necessary as I've found you start to rely on it. I'm trying to put that day off for as long as I can !

• Advertisement

cj maxx wrote: »
    8 visits to the house by police since September 2018 , 8 breathalyser tests ( all 0%) and was just pulled over by police ! It seems (according to the officer) someone tried to stop me from driving, and when I didn't see them called 999.
    I don't give a sh1t, I'm not going to use my walking stick till its necessary as I've found you start to rely on it. I'm trying to put that day off for as long as I can !

Is it possible your MS could be starting to affect your driving?

I'm all for not going down without a fight, but when it comes to getting behind the wheel there's no room for stubbornness (where I find it otherwise serves me well!). There's too much at risk on the road.

Advertisement