Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replumb 3/4 bed house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

GreeBo wrote: »
    Yeah 11 in total but most are large doubles...its a 210m2 detached house

Not your average semi so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Still, 32kw seems way too big

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Still, 32kw seems way too big

I did think it was a little large alright....I suspect they are replacing like with like as the current boiler is on the large side...but the rads are 50 years old so no very efficient.

But an overpriced boiler is inefficient so not sure why he would over spec it....though since its a combi he probably wants to ensure good hot water pressure on demand?

I did think it was a little large alright....I suspect they are replacing like with like as the current boiler is on the large side...but the rads are 50 years old so no very efficient.

But an overpriced boiler is inefficient so not sure why he would over spec it....though since its a combi he probably wants to ensure good hot water pressure on demand?

Ah I missed the combi part, sorry. Does the price include a water pressure pump too? How many hot water draw off points do you have?

Ah I missed the combi part, sorry. Does the price include a water pressure pump too? How many hot water draw off points do you have?

Pump wasnt called out explicitly but he was talking about mains pressure so assuming there isnt one (which I didnt think was allowed in Irish Regs?)

6 hot water points (1 bath/shower as other is power shower)

• Advertisement

Pump wasnt called out explicitly but he was talking about mains pressure so assuming there isnt one (which I didnt think was allowed in Irish Regs?)

6 hot water points (1 bath/shower as other is power shower)

What do you mean by power shower? As in the shower heats it own water?

What do you mean by power shower? As in the shower heats it own water?

Yeah, sorry meant electric (Triton)

Yeah, sorry meant electric (Triton)

In my opinion, fitting a triton or similar when you have a combi with 3-4 bar pressure behind it, is a waste of a good shower.
    Apart from that, I think 6 hot water draw off points is stretching it too far, especially if you’re relying on mains pressure

In my opinion, fitting a triton or similar when you have a combi with 3-4 bar pressure behind it, is a waste of a good shower.
    Apart from that, I think 6 hot water draw off points is stretching it too far, especially if you’re relying on mains pressure

The triton is already installed so I dont see the point in removing it?

The 6 points will never be in use together as there are only 4 in the house, at best it would be 2 or 3 in a random scenario. (they include DS toilet, utility sink, kitchen sink, main bathroom, ensuite sink)

The alternative would be a regular (or keep the existing) boiler and and large insulated tank (there is a small one in the hotpress already) .
    If going this way I would install the new cylinder beside the boiler in the utility room and fit a pump there for a fully pressurised system.

The triton is already installed so I dont see the point in removing it?

The 6 points will never be in use together as there are only 4 in the house, at best it would be 2 or 3 in a random scenario. (they include DS toilet, utility sink, kitchen sink, main bathroom, ensuite sink)

The alternative would be a regular (or keep the existing) boiler and and large insulated tank (there is a small one in the hotpress already) .
    If going this way I would install the new cylinder beside the boiler in the utility room and fit a pump there for a fully pressurised system.

I’d go with the pressurised system. I only suggested removing the triton as a proper pressurised shower is a much better showering experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Chopper2

I’d go with the pressurised system. I only suggested removing the triton as a proper pressurised shower is a much better showering experience

I'm still in the process of getting quotes, I have asked for Triton shower in bathroom instead of bath & in the shower room downstairs.
    What do you mean by pressurised system, as in coming from the mains, not electric?

Ah yeah there is no comparison, the only benefit right now is that we have showers on demand since its a single zone house and we dont have the heat on in summer. I expect to have heat on 24x7 in winter until we get the EWI done!

Chopper2 wrote: »
    I'm still in the process of getting quotes, I have asked for Triton shower in bathroom instead of bath & in the shower room downstairs.
    What do you mean by pressurised system, as in coming from the mains, not electric?

No, there is a separate pump either on the flow from the cold water tank (in which case everything other that kitchen sink cold is pressurized) or you have have a hot & cold pump specifically for the shower/bathroom.

I have done both and preferred to have the whole house pumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Does the house need to be gutted at the moment? You just want your boiler fixed yeah? And a bit of extra control would be nice..
    So just change the boiler and put in for the grant for better controls..
    And then plan what you're gonna really need, airtightness and insulation, you mightn't need to repipe and replumb everything anyway..

(that said if your system is leaky and inefficient it mightn't be a bad idea)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Does the house need to be gutted at the moment? You just want your boiler fixed yeah? And a bit of extra control would be nice..
    So just change the boiler and put in for the grant for better controls..
    And then plan what you're gonna really need, airtightness and insulation, you mightn't need to repipe and replumb everything anyway..

(that said if your system is leaky and inefficient it mightn't be a bad idea)

If thats addressed to me then I need to get the house rewired anyway and the heating is all gunbarrel and 50 year old inefficient rads so hoping to "save" money by doing it all in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If thats addressed to me then I need to get the house rewired anyway and the heating is all gunbarrel and 50 year old inefficient rads so hoping to "save" money by doing it all in one go.

Modern rads are no more efficient than older rads (in general), if the piping and rads are causing ongoing probs then, spend the money and change them, )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Modern rads are no more efficient than older rads (in general), if the piping and rads are causing ongoing probs then, spend the money and change them, )

The current rads don't even have fins, they are basically lumps of steel filled with water... so if be surprised if newer ones weren't better.

The piping is the real issue, its heavily corroded in several places and imo its s matter of time before i get leaks., there are already a few weeping that i don't want to touch one case of catastrophic failure.

The boiler itself appears ok, so I'm probably going to get a new quote for installing a pressurised cylinder, pump and the rads and forget about a combi.

We have still to decide who or what to go with.
    Go with as in combi or other?
    The job will include a total replumb
    New boiler
    Hot & cold feeds, shower room downstairs,
    Bathroom replaced with shower room upstairs, fitted furniture
    3 zone system.
    Combi pressurised system is being suggested to us, remove all tanks/cylinder.
    Is this a good choice?

We have still to decide who or what to go with.
    Go with as in combi or other?
    The job will include a total replumb
    New boiler
    Hot & cold feeds, shower room downstairs,
    Bathroom replaced with shower room upstairs, fitted furniture
    3 zone system.
    Combi pressurised system is being suggested to us, remove all tanks/cylinder.
    Is this a good choice?

Apart from building regulations which doesn't allow for direct connection of heating systems to the mains water supply, I personally don't advocate it as you have absolutely no back supply up in the event of water outages.
    In your earlier post you said two T.90s, is this still the plan, or are you going for two shower valves fed off the combi.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Apart from building regulations which doesn't allow for direct connection of heating systems to the mains water supply, I personally don't advocate it as you have absolutely no back supply up in the event of water outages.
    In your earlier post you said two T.90s, is this still the plan, or are you going for two shower valves fed off the combi.
    In the event of water outage we would only have backup supply of water in the tank,
    Yes 2 shower valves fed off supply.
    Is this combi system just a handy way/less work for plumber?

In the event of water outage we would only have backup supply of water in the tank,
    Yes 2 shower valves fed off supply.
    Is this combi system just a handy way/less work for plumber?

It is a lot less work, no storage tanks, no cylinder or the pipework.
    What are the chances of both showers being used at the same time?

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »
    It is a lot less work, no storage tanks, no cylinder or the pipework.
    What are the chances of both showers being used at the same time?
    We had an ensuite in our bed, a bathroom upstairs & shower room downstairs, we decided to remove the ensuite & replace with wardrobe, & keep bathroom as shower room upstairs & also keep shower room downstairs.
    Not that high a chance both they would be used at same time at some stage.

Update & final decision:
    Disconnect all existing supply
    3 zone heating system
    Replace all rads (11)
    Replace A rated boiler
    Install 300L stainless steel cylinder, cold water storage tank in attic
    Pressurised system with 3 bar pump
    Hot & cold feeds throughout
    Outside tap
    Knock off valve (which was not in house)
    Fit furniture in 2 shower rooms
    €13,000

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

Whats the boiler brand?

rightjob! wrote: »
    Whats the boiler brand?

Logic s24

Advertisement