Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yakuza / Like A Dragon Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I had a look at this. Slow scan around in different places. Moved the camera very fast. Nothing.

Saying that, my card is a AMD. Possibly it's a Nvidia issue. The architecture of my card is basically the console GPU so it might be run better on AMD and it's poorly coded for nvida.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just to add something I remember, I initially stopped playing the game on my 1070 early on as the performance just didn't feel right, even at 1080p when I was getting 60FPS so I shelved it until I got my PC fully upgraded. Might have been this stuttering you are talking about and I was using a nvidia card then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Are you playing on Steam or GamePass? The more I read the more it seems like a GamePass specific bug with just a few wayward Steam complaints along the same lines...

Playing on Steam. I have seen steam complaints as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The combat is kind of ruining Like a Dragon for me. I don't mind the turn based style and all the different squad have great and unique abilities but I groan at the thought of a long combat section, just not enjoying it. Loving the characters and story though. Not sure whether to sell it and go back to Judgment to give that another go or push on with LaD.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Update: Noticed an update available for the GamePass version. Booted it up after installing it and *fingers crossed* the stuttering issue seems to be fixed. Makes the game playable again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Currently working my way through Yakuza Kiwami 2 , delighted to see ye return of the club cabaret that **** is addictive.

On chapter 6 now Jesus the cutscenes go on for ages , I understand they are part of the charm, but sometimes they really drag on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Had an hour to play some Yakuza 4 last week before heading off to work, got about 10 actual minutes of gameplay after the story stopped rolling. I've only myself to blame.

The cutscenes are largely insufferable in the series. Well acted and directed, but the pacing is appalling. Every single main story goes on for far, far longer than it needs to.

I like the series a lot but it’s certainly not for the labyrinthine, over-egged main plots.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yakuza 0 was my first game and the first maybe 3 chapters were a real slog due to all the cutscenes and so little gameplay. The balance tends to get better later in the games but for the first while you really have to power through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

The last boss fight is probably one of the best in the whole series, the music and everything is just fvckin perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Yeah I am dipping in and out of the side activities its quite short for main story feel like if I wanted to I could blitz past it, I skipped a cutscene in a bar because it took 15 minutes for the actual endpoint to come out. Even though I guessed it within a couple of minutes.

Not overly gone on the clan creator think its fairly mobile like.

I stopped playing this game for about 2 weeks just before the business minigame tutorial as I wasn't in the mood of a business mini game.

Or so I thought.

I'm addicted now and the rest of the game is suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Ichiban Confectionery adverts are awesome. You'll reach a certain point where you'll need the income from the mini game anyway. I stopped playing a while back after hitting a wall difficulty wise. Must try get back to it but it's getting a bit too grindy for my tastes

Picked Like a Dragon up again last night as I enjoyed the game too much to let a difficulty spike put me off it. I've reached No. 1 in the business mini game so I'm flush for cash now. Going to upgrade gear to the fullest, grind the arena for a few levels and get stuck back into the story.

A trip to the dungeons will level you up very easily. Just bring lots of gold chest keys.

There's these encounters with rare vagabonds in the dungeons that act like dragon quest metal slimes and will give you insane experience if you can beat them without them running away. Use attacks with lots of multiple hits as you can only do 1hp per attack on them.

Admittedly I haven't really done the dungeon so will check that out. I had heard about the metal slime type enemies though so will watch out for them. Havent been ignoring leveling though as I've been doing the arena but I'm at a level in that now where I'm having difficulty clearing floors. Found the boss in this chapter a huge jump up from anything encountered prior though and I think he'll be a shock to most that encounter him.

Should be getting 3 million yen per shareholder meeting now though so I'm flush for cash for gear and weapons. Gonna fully level up there workshop and see what's on offer there. Have the special move Essence of Orbital Laser now too which is logically what you would expect to unlock from finishing a mini game about managing a confectionery company :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I regret selling Like A Dragon. Recently went back to Judgment and even though the combat was fun, i missed Ichi sand my crazy friends. I'll buy it again some day as i love the sound of business mini game, might just lower the difficulty to get through the combat bits or might come around to it.

I dont believe you can lower the difficulty in LaD. You can in the other games but not this one for some reason and its the one that needs it most I think, as the difficulty is all over the place.

Beat chapter 12 finally. Maxed out the business mini game, finished the arena and fully leveled up the workshop and upgraded weapons before taking on the fight at the end.

Money is no longer an object. Can make 9 million yen in just under 10 minutes in the business mini game. And you definitely need decent income once you go leveling up weapons.

• Advertisement

Yeah I got stuck on that boss last night as well. Just went back to the arena and got to stage 25 then forged a few new weapons. Still a really tough fight but at least I could keep up with the bosses damage output.

Think I was level 36 when I first tried it and came back last night at level 44 and managed it first go. Still a tough fight and only finished with 2 party members but at least I had decent damage output and could tank a few hits. Purchased a couple of rocket launchers from the Sotenbori pawn shop and they did pretty decent damage. Epic stuff though. Id imagine its not far from the end. Really enjoying the game again now after the frustration of getting my ass handed to me in that encounter

Yeah the battle system is finally starting to get challenging but as a result it's also revealing itself as an absolutely fantastic battle system. Looking forward to the later fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Finished Yakuza 6 last night, I enjoyed it even though it was missing a lot of the features of previous games like the claw machine and buyable weapons.

Wasn't really a fan of the ending though:

Kiryu sacrificing himself for Haruka would have been a nice but obvious way to end it. Having him be alive but just not come back is really weird though. He writes Daigo a letter telling him he's sorry for all he left unsaid and wishes he spent more time with him but he still decides to just head off ?

Also Kiyomi being alive due to the Yomei guy having blanks in his gun meant Someya killed himself for literally no reason.

I have the platinum for 4,5 and 6 now. I'll probably try 7 next although I might try to get the other platinums if I can ever figure out how mahjong is meant to be played.

Getting to the end of Like a Dragon. Halfway through the second last chapter and have all the sub stories done bar three only available in the last chapter. Really enjoyed the game but looking forward to taking a break from long RPGS!

Just starting into what I think is second last chapter myself. I was tempted to go grind some and make sure I've no nasty surprises but gonna plough on and see how I get on in next few boss fights. Long enough game, think I'm about 40hrs in or more. I'm tempted to go back to Judgement after this, the change back to that type of combat might freshen things up.

Finished Like a Dragon. Great game overall and like all other Yakuza games, you could easily put over 100 hrs into this with all the side content. Best humor in the series by far if you ask me. Reckon I have around 45hrs put in to complete and finished at level 67. Typically I'd take a decent break between Yakuza games, but seeing as this one is so different than the rest I'm tempted to launch into another one. I've a few hours put into Judgement so I'm undecided on whether to go back to that or to continue the main series and pick up Yakuza 3. Anyone play 3 recently and can tell me how it holds up?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Tough question - I'd say Judgement purely because it's a brilliant game with a great story to it, however I started the Yakuza Remastered collection after finishing it and found Y3 tough to play in comparison, the difference between the dragon engine and the older games is painfully obvious. It's still totally playable but will feel a bit janky and dated compared to Judgment if you go with that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah I agree with this. I've played all the newer Yakuza / Judgment games and the Kiwami remasters, and I tried to get into Yakuza 3 but it's such a basic remaster of a much older engine and it really shows its age now, with poor UI and UX and jarring janky animations. I thought I'd overlook all of that and get into it once the story picked up but I just couldn't bring myself to stick with it.

Judgment is a great game, it's a little bit marmite because the main character doesn't stand out like Kiryu or Ichiban and the tone is a bit different (it's more down to earth, making it simultaneously less dramatic and less hilarious than the Yakuza games, but I found it really enjoyable in its own right), but it's still got all the side content and gameplay you'd expect of a Yakuza game.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads. I might fire up 3 when I get a chance and I think I'll know quick enough if its going to be something I'll stick with. I've a few hours played in Judgment and its been great so far. I could also go a completely different direction and fire up Fist of the North Star which I have sitting in my backlog also.

Advertisement