Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling the grand canal

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭knockoutned

That was just an image of the bog to show how close it runs between the two canals.

Here is the link to the story

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0423/1445258-bord-na-mona-trails/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

This went well over the weekend. Only route planning mistake I made was to jump on to the greenway in Edenderry at Bluebell Aqueduct instead of one stop down. It meant I was travelling on grass for about 1Km or so until I got to tarmac. Lesson learned. The weather got a wee bit breezy and wet towards the end so I got some shelter in McIntyres at the end of the greenway in Shannon Harbour. I had a lovely steak sandwich with chips along with a well earned cider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,256 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is the Athy to Allenwood branch all paved yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭cletus

The section from Athy to Robertstown is completed.

The canal branches in Lowtown, just before Robertsown. The branch running from Lowtown past Allenwood has not been started.

Sorry, that kind of what I meant. Passed through Monasterevin and looking from the train over the canal it looked like the northern end wasn't touched

Definitely done, I was only on it this morning, from Rathangan to Athy and back.

There is a short section just at the train station that's on the road, but it's only a couple of hundred yards

Post edited by cletus on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

For anyone trying to link the Grand and the Royal, consider the branch from ~5k west of Daingean to Kilbeggan, then a choice of rural roads to the old Moate/Mullingar rail line, then back east along the Royal.

The Kilbeggan branch is very scenic, with perhaps one too many gates.

I believe it's called Ballycommon junction and Streamstown is signposted from Kilbeggan for cyclists, Streamstown station is roughly the halfway point on the Rail Trail, there's a lovely little coffee shop and water station and even a solar powered phone charging bench.

I spent the weekend kayaking from Leighlanbridge to St. Mullins.

The whole way down the tow path there's planning applications posted up.

There's a number of things on it regarding fixing up the wall and banks of the canal, but the most interesting thing (from a cycling point of view) was in relation to works on the path itself.

This ties in with what I was told by a Waterways Ireland worker, that being, even if the Greenway objections down in Carlow hold up the Greenway, the remedial works required on the banks etc. would require a proper path to be installed anyway, for the machinery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

I cycled from Tullamore back to Dublin about 8 years ago (heavy going in places that have probably been paved or surfaced by now) but is it possible to cycle from Carlow or Athy along barrow green way/grand canal back to the city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭De Bhál

it is, I've done it a few times, you'll be on a track in grass for parts, gravel for some, bits of road. A bit of everything really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Messy from Carlow to Athy. Choose the road on the west bank, much quieter than the east bank.

From Athy, Monasterevin, Rathangan, Robertstown, all good.

Messy from there to Sallins, divert either side.

Sallins to Hazelhatch, all good.

Messy as far as Lucan (lock 12, Adamstown road) divert to the north side, lovely rural lane, then bam! Adamstown new city.

All good from Lucan to Inchicore, then busy with shared spaces to Grand Canal dock.

(For road bike with skinny tyres)

Roadtoad's breakdown is fairly accurate.

However, if you have a gravel bike or mountain bike, you'll manage fine on the single track sections from Carlow to Athy, Robertstown to Sallins, and Lucan onwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Thanks lads for the advice, think I'll give it a go from Athy so. I managed the Robertstowns section years before on grass so I'll give it a shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

Hazelhatch to Lucan is still very narrow rutted track overgrown on either side /and or water bound .Not pleasant even to walk on but certainly ‘passable’ in the dry Summer .The earlier the better to traverse from safety point of view .Fair few ‘teens’ about from Mid afternoon , could be very dodgy after dark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭nilhg

Kildare CC are publicising a new amended part 8 application for the grand Canal greenway, essentially they want to change their plan at Lowtown, putting a footbridge across the canal similar to the one in Sallins to move the greenway to the southern bank and off the local road along the canal there. Also they want to put another footbridge in at Healys Bridge where the greenway will switch to the north bank to avoid having greenway users on the public road.

Theres a good summary in the PDF below

Link to the Part 8:

https://consult.kildarecoco.ie/en/consultation/grand-canal-greenway-phase-2-proposed-additional-bridges-part-8-p8202407

Advertisement