Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling the grand canal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

We did Sallins to Edenderry and back today. 64km. The surface is pretty rough in places, but probably the best conditions available at the moment. A lot of gates to be negotiated, but worth the effort for a lovely day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

CapnHex wrote: »
    We did Sallins to Edenderry and back today. 64km. The surface is pretty rough in places, but probably the best conditions available at the moment. A lot of gates to be negotiated, but worth the effort for a lovely day out.

In the planning stage for the Grand canal at the moment and trying to decide on which bike to use - a hybrid touring bike or a heavy mountain bike with suspension.

What would your (or anyone else) advice be, please?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Where along the Grand Canal?

Where along the Grand Canal?

The whole thing! Going to camp along the way somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

As long as the weather is reasonably dry the MTB will be overkill, decent 32mm+ tyres on the touring bike will get you across it fine.

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    As long as the weather is reasonably dry the MTB will be overkill, decent 32mm+ tyres on the touring bike will get you across it fine.

Great - was hoping that would be the case as I hate my mountain bike but cant justify getting a better one (yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭columbus_66

I rode home from the Kilbeeggan feeder to Lucan last week and it was heavy going even though it was dry. From Daingean to Edenderry is nice as it is in total isolation. The canal is overflowing between Sallins and Hazelhatch and you can't avoid the mud. I'm glad I switched to knobbly 30c tyres as there is a lot of grass and rough stuff. 93km. The Kilbeggan feeder line is really nice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

All overflowing mud has gone, Grand canal was all cyclable yesterday on that section between Sallins and Hazelhatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Peterx wrote: »
    All overflowing mud has gone, Grand canal was all cyclable yesterday on that section between Sallins and Hazelhatch.

Yeah, much better today... 2-3 muddy patches but fine.

I am really enjoying the section from Ardclough to Digby bridge these days, I think I will miss the sections of singletrack when they greenway it :(

• Advertisement

I rode home from the Kilbeeggan feeder to Lucan last week and it was heavy going even though it was dry. From Daingean to Edenderry is nice as it is in total isolation. The canal is overflowing between Sallins and Hazelhatch and you can't avoid the mud. I'm glad I switched to knobbly 30c tyres as there is a lot of grass and rough stuff. 93km. The Kilbeggan feeder line is really nice as well.

Is it possible to cycle the length of the feeder.. from the canal to Kilbeggan? Do you recall the total distance?

Yes turn off at Ballycommon between Daingean and Tullamore and it is direct to just outside Kilbeggan, very nice cycle about 15km.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

mloc123 wrote: »
    I think I will miss the sections of singletrack when they greenway it :(

Definitely this.

It's great that access is being opened up, and having things passable in the winter will be a plus, but its lovely being on the untouched sections at this time of year and having a bit of a challenge in the wetter periods. I find the new sections of gravel really, really noisy as well - they might need some time to bed down a bit.

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Definitely this.

It's great that access is being opened up, and having things passable in the winter will be a plus, but its lovely being on the untouched sections at this time of year and having a bit of a challenge in the wetter periods. I find the new sections of gravel really, really noisy as well - they might need some time to bed down a bit.

In a lot of places the opposite bank is often passable if you want a bit of rougher stuff, and even where it's not Waterways Ireland might see their way to running a topper over it and opening things up a bit

Planning to get the train to Carlow and cycling the Barrow Way and Grand Canal back to Hazelhatch in the next week or two. Has anyone cycled the Barrow?

mloc123 wrote: »
    Planning to get the train to Carlow and cycling the Barrow Way and Grand Canal back to Hazelhatch in the next week or two. Has anyone cycled the Barrow?

Yeah, I was down (from Rathangan) and back to Carlow the weekend before last.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5531740226

Track/towpath was fine, you'll have to take the road for a short bit north of Vicarstown and also Rathangan due to blueway works after that it'splain sailing to Robertstown.

Quick update on my trip from earlier this month.

Cycled from Swords, Co. Dublin to the city centre and joined the Grand at Grand canal dock. Used a Giant hybrid with 33 mm tyres and back pannier set with approx 10kg in it.

Cycle out of town was fine and fast, but once I got to the 12th lock, things slowed down! It was about 27 degrees (which was nice to start with) but the hard ground, bumps and fences that I had to lift the bike over make it a harder day than I expected. I should have brought two bottles of water but I thought there would be more opportunities to buy things along the way like the Royal Canal. My mistake)

Hard going, especially around the 20th lock where I veered off into Edenderry for a break and some water and a 99!

Cycle to Daingean was hard going and then a lovely surface from there to Tullamore.

Had dinner in Tullamore and then got back on the path and pitched the tent up in some land beside it. A few well earned beers had here.

On the road at 6.30 am the following day and more hard paths broken up by decent surfaces. Still lots of high fences to lift the bike over. (bike was probably 40kg) so this was tough.

Into Shannon Harbour, which is lovely.

27km cycle to Ballinasloe and managed to catch the 10.08 am train back to Dublin.

TLDR;

Pros: Beautiful, unspoiled, very few people, isolated

Cons: not really suitable for bikes yet. No shops close by to buy anything. I think at least front suspension is required to make it more enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

That section before Rathangan is properly fenced off now. I might be wrong but it seems to have been fenced off for several years now. It didn't bother me before as you could get past the fence and continue on the perfectly safe canal path but on Sunday there I could see the fence has been properly finished and you have to take the road to Rathangan. I know google maps is a great thing and I did use it but if you are going to fence off a section for years* maybe you could throw out a few arrows on the detour.

*my apologies if the new fence is a new thing and actually the canal path was open for the last 2 years.. I have taken the other line towards Tullamore the last few times.

The black crushed topping ( limestone? ) was new to me and a pleasant surprise, it will make winter spins much easier

It's only been closed since early summer as they work to install the same surface as from Ballyteague, should be open again in early Q4, then the work will transfer to the other side of Rathangan, towards Monasterevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

Work continuing apace on the Barrow way. This is the view from Ummeras Bridge back towards Rathangan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

christ, they really strip it bare.

The picture doesn't show it well but that section of towpath was in the worst condition of the whole project between Lowtown and Athy, years of tractors going up and down to feed horses on adjoining lands had it destroyed. The section towards Monasterevin was almost as bad but not quite. I'd say a fairly drastic rebuild was needed. They do take the towpath back down to below the original surface though and build it back up.

I reckon there's maybe 6" of the crushed rock you can see in the foreground as a base, and another 4" or so of the dressed gravel that goes on top.they appear to be doing some form of work on the opposite bank too, but no idea what

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

So will the Barrow way be joining up to the Grand Canal?

The Barrow Way branches off from the Grand Canal at Robertstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

Ok thanks that’s cool. I’m from Laois living in Dublin so it would be cool to start in Dublin and cycle as far as Vicarstown all off road. When do they expect to have Blueway complete? And say from Dublin to Robertstown, when do they expect that part of the Grand Canal to be done?

I know they are hoping to start Lucan to Hazelhatch soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Anyone have a rough idea of the distance from Robertstown to Monarstevin along the canal? (or a breakdown of Robertstown to Rathangan and Rathangan to Monarstevin

Advertisement