Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night ( Koji Igarashi ) PS4/X1/PC

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭weemcd

Fuck me lads you waited 3 years for that?:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

weemcd wrote: »
    Fuck me lads you waited 3 years for that?:rolleyes:

That’s a bonus 8-bit spin-off game rather than the main game. Not that a spiritual successor to NES-era Castlevania is something to be sniffed at ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

WayForward joins the Bloodstained development team
    https://nintendoeverything.com/wayforward-joins-the-bloodstained-development-team/

I think the game is still a while away if they have a new team joining to help (although a great team - WayForward are amazing).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They have a reputation for putting games out so hopefully it means we see the game soon and it doesn't become bloated with feature creep.

At least we got Curse of the Moon out of it which is a GotY contender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

is curse of the moon good? it looks short and maybe not worth the money im thinking.. I'm looking for something like dead cells but with more story i guess.... Hollow knight was good but i kinda got bored of it... Same with salt and sanctuary :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

nix wrote: »
    is curse of the moon good? it looks short and maybe not worth the money im thinking.. I'm looking for something like dead cells but with more story i guess.... Hollow knight was good but i kinda got bored of it... Same with salt and sanctuary :o

It's excellent, even better when you get it for free as a backer.

It's more of a linear game though. More Castlevania 3 than a metroidvania. It is short though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

nix wrote: »

THE MESSENGER. I just finished it today, fantastic game.

THE MESSENGER. I just finished it today, fantastic game.

This man has great knowledge. Take his advice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I really liked The Messenger, although felt the second half of the game (those who’ve played it know what I’m talking about) was somewhat awkward at times due to some clunky backtracking - it was a brilliant idea that wasn’t fully realised IMO. It came admirably close, but the level design can’t quite keep up with the two different things the developers are trying to do.

Still, lot of admiration for the game for what it did, and it feels great to play for long stretches (retro feel with just the right amount of modern bells and whistles). Definitely recommend it. Not Celeste or Hollow Knight great, but it’s been a particular stellar year or two for 2d titles.

• Advertisement

So this game is out in about 7 hours, sneaked up on me. Anyone played the early access versions of the game? Worth the 35 Euro?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

So this game is out in about 7 hours, sneaked up on me. Anyone played the early access versions of the game? Worth the 35 Euro?
    Not played the early access version but $28 kickstarter reporting in :P

I think I'll drop everything for this. Just love the Vania games and SotN is a masterpiece. I hope they went the extra mile with all the unnecessary detail that went into SotN.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I saw this link on Facebook (if you're interested in watching a review).

Summary:
    great game, great music, some glitches but nothing game breaking. Final score: 8.5/10

Bought it and been playing for about an hour and a half. Magic seems really strong. It does alot of damage, there are lots of mana pick ups and mana replenishes over time. There are no health pick-ups so far from what i played, so buying potions seems a must. Don't recall if the older Castlevania games had potions or not...

Animation cancelling is in the game, it was the first thing i checked when i got a weapons :D So im using a whip which has alot of recovery time, but if i jump and land an attack just before i land i can go right into another attack and then cancel the animation on that with a backstep and go right into another attack. Satisfying.

So yeah, its keeping my attention thus far.

Animation cancelling and no health restores is in line with the metroidvanias.

I'm waiting on it to download. ****ty internet here means I'm only getting 150 kb/s :'(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Week early for backers?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Week early for backers?

Don't think so, today was the release date (switch is this day next week)

[Edit]
    Maybe I'm wrong, doesn't seem to be available on the ps app anyway... But heard people say they bought it, and weren't backers, so I don't know...

There on Xbox to buy, didn't realise it had local co-op. Could be one for us to row over here :pac:

Played a little of it last night. Quite impressed so far but it's early days. The graphics have improved a huge amount since the E3 demo. Also they have nailed the movement, it's a joy to control.

Seems to be a lot of weapons and systems to play around with as well, hopefully they get a little crazier later on.

• Advertisement

Star Lord wrote: »
    Don't think so, today was the release date (switch is this day next week)

[Edit]
    Maybe I'm wrong, doesn't seem to be available on the ps app anyway... But heard people say they bought it, and weren't backers, so I don't know...

Ahhh that explains it then, was looking to get it on switch.

4 hours now and yeah, its pretty great. Lots of weapons and weapon skills and magic to obtain, you really are spoiled for choice when it comes to how you want to play. Also, im lost. So many places that require a certain skill to get to, but i have been cheating abit. There is a skill for the Kung Fu boots that you can use in mid air to propel you forward and it can be chained as much as you like as long as you have mana so i have been using that to get to some areas which i assume are accessible once you get a double jump

Wouldn't call it cheating as these games are made to be broken and sequence broke.

Wish the kung fu weapon inputs were more lenient. 360 controller is terrible for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,724 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Weird.......hearing that the game is 1080p on the PS4 Pro, despite promises of 4K/60fps support on both mid-gen consoles.

Anyone able to confirm ? Maybe its to be patched in and this is where some of the reports are coming from.
    Would actually rather play it on the Playstation FWIW, so its not a total deal breaker, but still......eyes open before purchase etc etc

Just after getting what i assume is the bad ending. Back to the drawing board

Arise myself and my shadow!

Have the flame whip and the spell that makes portraits float around you and im breezing through the game. Wish i could have started on a higher difficulty from the get go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Completely forgot I backed this, so nice surprise for me.

So far I’m enjoying it, music is ace.

Whats the difficulty like?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Whats the difficulty like?
    Not too hard. I’ve only died a few times and it’s been my own fault.

It’s been an age since I’ve played a metroidvania style game so I can’t really compare it to anything

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Anyone else find the controls a bit ... Floaty? I think it's my creaky PC needing the settings turned down but it doesn't feel like the FPS is too garbage so not sure...

Advertisement