Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Tour Championship, 22-29 March, Celtic Manor

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Ronnie pulled out some great shots and moments but Barry gave it to him really, it was more Barry losing it than Ronnie winning it.

Actually I don't agree with that. Hawkins didn't particularity crumble like he often does, it's just Ronnie is brilliant at going up a gear when he's a frame or 2 from loosing. He's done that so often now especially in recent years. Like Ken said in the studio Ron just seems to be able to go into practice mode when he thinks he has all but lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Interesting bookies can't separate the players in today's final, pretty much a 50-50 call. Robbo definitely been the more impressive in terms of fluency and dominance, while ronnie has been a bit stop start, possibly still having cue issues, but getting it done where it matters. Intriguingly, they have met 6 times in longer matches (more than best of 11) and score is 6-0 to ronnie. Big chance you'd think for robbo to finally chalk one up and give himself a massive boost for sheffield.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

This is UK champion vs World Champion for a big pot today and the standard shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

O’Sullivan taking on the double and leaving the cue ball tight to the top cushion. Made no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Unbelievable standard so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Looks like this is done, Ronnie can't do anything right now.
    Robertson doesn't look like missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Ronnie would want to do something quick, with the standard Robertson is playing at I can't see him throwing away a 8-4 lead.

Cant recall a frame in this, maybe one, where pink and black have been tied up. Its incredibly open and suiting robbo, the way he's playing. Think ronnie does need this one alright, a 4 frame deficit against an in form Robertson is an entirely different animal to a similar one by Barry hawkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Robertson only a few pots away from 4 centuries out of 4 frames there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

It's never over until it's over but imo this is too much of a gap to close for Ronnie now, I no he's capable of rattling off frames in one visit but he'd also need help from Robertson and I can't see that happening in this kind of form.

Never say never though, if Ronnie can rattle off a couple of frames in a row it might make it interesting.

• Advertisement

When robbo plays like this, quick and fluent, not checking every angle at least 3 times, or continually second guessing himself, he's near the best there is. A joy to watch. If he brings this attitude to sheffield, he would be quite difficult to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

Robbo is my pick for the Worlds after this week.

weemcd wrote: »
    Robbo is my pick for the Worlds after this week.

6/1 good price

Was 12/1 on betfair at the beginning of the week. Not that now!

Gutted he didnt get the high break there! Some performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

Sublime performance by Robbo. Well deserved, well played, would love him to pick up the WC, he merits more than his x1 title.

Ronnie's 5th final loss, remarkable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

From what we've seen these last few months the World Championship is very open and the standard may be right up there. Higgins, Trump, Robbo, Selby still in the mix all looking to take Ronnie's crown.

Add in a few more like Bingtao and potential outsiders like Hawkins and you could make a case for 8-10 players there.

Like what neil said about striking a balance there, picking and choosing where he played, keeping fresh for the end of the season as opposed to other guys who just choose to play every week. I think there's something in that. Has a very ordinary world championships record for a player of his stature, but that could be the key for a more sustained challenge this time around.

Like what neil said about striking a balance there, picking and choosing where he played, keeping fresh for the end of the season as opposed to other guys who just choose to play every week. I think there's something in that. Has a very ordinary world championships record for a player of his stature, but that could be the key for a more sustained challenge this time around.

And Ronnie seemed a bit tired after losing all these finals...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

From what we've seen these last few months the World Championship is very open and the standard may be right up there. Higgins, Trump, Robbo, Selby still in the mix all looking to take Ronnie's crown.

Add in a few more like Bingtao and potential outsiders like Hawkins and you could make a case for 8-10 players there.

Don’t forget about the winner of the Hendry v White grudge match.

• Advertisement

eric hoone wrote: »
    And Ronnie seemed a bit tired after losing all these finals...

You just never know with ronnie. Have to think he'd be incredibly motivated to get the 7th and equal hendry, but still can't shake off the doubts about him. Could run into mcgill last 16 who seems to raise his game every year for the worlds, actually seeing a potential shock there if they do meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

You just never know with ronnie. Have to think he'd be incredibly motivated to get the 7th and equal hendry, but still can't shake off the doubts about him. Could run into mcgill last 16 who seems to raise his game every year for the worlds, actually seeing a potential shock there if they do meet.

I can’t see him winning it if I’m honest. The killer instinct is waning I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Holy Diver wrote: »
    I can’t see him winning it if I’m honest. The killer instinct is waning I think.

Again, I remember hearing that 10 years ago.

Hes been consistently the best player on the tour this year. Hes going in on great form. Has a great chance.

Obviously the most consistent player this season has been trump, but ronnie hasn't had a bad season by any measure. First time ever since he turned pro that he hasn't won a title, but he's been knocking on the door. Have to admit, I'd all but written him off ever winning another world title 2 or 3 years ago, just thought the whole 2 week rigmarole of the tournament had become too much for him. Won't make the same mistake again and helps i think that judd and robbo are in opposite half of draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Obviously the most consistent player this season has been trump, but ronnie hasn't had a bad season by any measure. First time ever since he turned pro that he hasn't won a title, but he's been knocking on the door. Have to admit, I'd all but written him off ever winning another world title 2 or 3 years ago, just thought the whole 2 week rigmarole of the tournament had become too much for him. Won't make the same mistake again and helps i think that judd and robbo are in opposite half of draw.

Well sorry yeah apart from Judd obviously.

Theres always a R1 or R2 shock. Wonder who'll be the James Cahill this time.

The Nal wrote: »
    Well sorry yeah apart from Judd obviously.

Theres always a R1 or R2 shock. Wonder who'll be the James Cahill this time.

Imagine there'll be a couple. Ronnie v McGill is an interesting one for me. McGill is 18-6 for all matches at the worlds since 2015, not a guy you tend to notice much during season but comes into his own over this format. If ronnie anyway short of a game, that could be tricky i think. Even judd has a tendency to be vulnerable early doors, i think we'll see a couple of big casualties. And someone going to draw bingham, assuming he comes through qualifying. That wont be pleasant.

Edit: as a possible James Cahill, going to throw out Pang Junxu. Got some impressive scalps to his name on tour this season. Was looking to throw away a few shekels on him the other day and noticed he wasn't even listed!

Advertisement