Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Pike sign in Oughterard.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

The last thing you want on this great dry fly lake is when your fishing spent or buzzer is a load of pike anglers trolling all over the lake, its a non starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ColmEm

I don't know why the ignorant trout anglers don't just dig a hole and fill it with water and trout. That's basically what they're aiming for.

One side wants natural, balanced fisheries. The other wants just one type of fish in the lake - the one they fish for! Kill everything else. It's just silly. Embarrassing. Lack of knowledge. Whatever.

And I'm not putting all trout anglers in that bracket. It's really just a small percentage of trout anglers who want that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

blackpearl wrote: »
    its a trout lake leave it alone no winter pike fishing and no coarse as i have said theres enough lakes around cavan for coarse fishing and pike fishing if you want coarse fishing go to them but no you want sheelin opened thats been greedy ,not going to happen.

Do you make the rules?
    Tbh your the one that sounds greedy to me.

why dont the so called pike anglers agree to keep the pike in a seperate lake for pike only

That's a comment on the Oughterard Anglers page. Oughterard Anglers gave that comment the thumbs up. That's the mindset. That's what you're dealing with.

Listen here i am totaly against the harming of pike been transfered from one lake to another i even took struglling pike out of gill nets years ago when the fisheries use to look at the nets once a day and let them go,now the nets are chequed every hour or so i have seen it been done and have been their when they were relocated to other lakes ,their is proper oxyen tanks in the fisheries where the pike are put waiting to be moved this is on sheelin i cant speak for corrib or mask as i dont no what goes on their.

• Advertisement

ColmEm wrote: »
    I don't know why the ignorant trout anglers don't just dig a hole and fill it with water and trout. That's basically what they're aiming for.

One side wants natural, balanced fisheries. The other wants just one type of fish in the lake - the one they fish for! Kill everything else. It's just silly. Embarrassing. Lack of knowledge. Whatever.

And I'm not putting all trout anglers in that bracket. It's really just a small percentage of trout anglers who want that.

I dont agree with killling everthing else but i do agree with relocating them to other lakes once they are looked after proprley.

ColmEm wrote: »
    One side wants natural, balanced fisheries. The other wants just one type of fish in the lake - the one they fish for! Kill everything else.
    I dont agree with killling everthing else but i do agree with relocating them to other lakes

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

its a trout lake leave it alone no winter pike fishing and no coarse as i have said theres enough lakes around cavan for coarse fishing and pike fishing if you want coarse fishing go to them but no you want sheelin opened thats been greedy ,not going to happen.
    Well, there is no bye law forbidding winter pike and coarse fishing. Last year held a public consultation process on this subject. They received 235 replies and only 10 of the respondents, yes TEN, wanted the lake closed in Winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

How is being greedy, considering there are many lakes in the country that are trout only, and zero that are coarse/pike only?
    The last thing you want on this great dry fly lake is when your fishing spent or buzzer is a load of pike anglers trolling all over the lake, its a non starter.

But whats to stop any trout angler trolling a small rapala for trout from causing you the same level of hardship?

How is being greedy, considering there are many lakes in the country that are trout only, and zero that are coarse/pike only?

But whats to stop any trout angler trolling a small rapala for trout from causing you the same level of hardship?

And any decent pike anglers wouldn't be that ignorant.

• Advertisement

jkchambers wrote: »
    Well, there is no bye law forbidding winter pike and coarse fishing. Last year held a public consultation process on this subject. They received 235 replies and only 10 of the respondents, yes TEN, wanted the lake closed in Winter months.

Sheelin closed from the 13 october to the end of feb for fishing thats the law .YOU can quote what ever consultation process you like, what is the problem with you 100s of pike lakes around ireland to fish but you want sheelin open in the winter months people on here about trout anglers only a few decent wild trout lakes in the country and yous want them, you pike anglers are the greedy ones, sorry not all pike anglers people like you your at it this years on fishing forums all over the place .On one evening last year on sheelin people from 29 countries from all over the world fishing the lake as i said before best dry fly lake in the world and we intend to keep it that way.It would fit you better if you put more time into water quailty in the lakes and rivers in ireland instead of blabbering on about pike control,finished with this thread have not time to waste with a one tract minded person have a lot of top class fly fishing to do on sheelin in the next couple of weeks and all true the summer .

,finished with this thread have not time to waste with a one tract minded person have a lot of top class fly fishing to do on sheelin in the next couple of weeks and all true the summer .

Pot.... Kettle.... Black.

BTW it's one tracked.

Sheelin closed from the 13 october to the end of feb for fishing thats the law .YOU can quote what ever consultation process you like, what is the problem with you 100s of pike lakes around ireland to fish but you want sheelin open in the winter months people on here about trout anglers only a few decent wild trout lakes in the country and yous want them, you pike anglers are the greedy ones, sorry not all pike anglers people like you your at it this years on fishing forums all over the place .On one evening last year on sheelin people from 29 countries from all over the world fishing the lake as i said before best dry fly lake in the world and we intend to keep it that way.

Well, you were the person that brought up the topic of opening up Sheelin.
    If it was open to pike angling in the winter, what harm would it do anyway?
    It would fit you better if you put more time into water quailty in the lakes and rivers in ireland instead of blabbering on about pike control

Thats been my point in this thread, that the money being spent on pike control should be spent on other issues, such as water quality, and the quality of the feeder streams and rivers to the 7 managed lakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

Sheelin closed from the 13 october to the end of feb for fishing thats the law .YOU can quote what ever consultation process you like, what is the problem with you 100s of pike lakes around ireland to fish but you want sheelin open in the winter months people on here about trout anglers only a few decent wild trout lakes in the country and yous want them, you pike anglers are the greedy ones, sorry not all pike anglers people like you your at it this years on fishing forums all over the place .On one evening last year on sheelin people from 29 countries from all over the world fishing the lake as i said before best dry fly lake in the world and we intend to keep it that way.It would fit you better if you put more time into water quailty in the lakes and rivers in ireland instead of blabbering on about pike control,finished with this thread have not time to waste with a one tract minded person have a lot of top class fly fishing to do on sheelin in the next couple of weeks and all true the summer .
    Actually its NOT the law. There is NO bye law closing the lake from 13th October. I know that the Shannon Regional Board had a sign up but where is the law to back it up ??? THERE IS NONE and the Shannon Regional Fisheries Board ceased to exist in June 2010 after which Inland Fisheries Ireland took over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I see the oughterard cavemen are at it again.
    Their facebook page showing a picture of lots of dead pike from one of their killing sprees.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Their facebook page showing a picture of lots of dead pike from one of their killing sprees.

They are knuckledraggers trying to incite anger from pike anglers but this has backfired on them as other anglers are calling them out for the behaviour, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Idiots of the highest order, I don't actually have a problem with them taking out Pike from spawning streams , or from where they've been recently introduced , but they seem to blame Pike for everything . I think the future doesn't look bright for salmonoids due to pollution , global warming , industrial farming so they're going about things the wrong way by alienating a large section of the angling community .

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

I don't understand these guys attitude at all.

A friend of mine was guided on Corrib looking for big trout. They caught quite a lot of pike as well as they were trolling, the guide killed all the pike and threw them back into the lake 'cus they are eating all the trout'. They also caught a few good sized brown trout which were also knocked on the head. It doesn't make any sense to me.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think the future doesn't look bright for salmonoids due to pollution , global warming , industrial farming so they're going about things the wrong way by alienating a large section of the angling community .

The damage is done, you can't go back to the TDs and the general public and say we were wrong, these are the actual reasons trout are being wiped out. These people are directly to blame for the decline of the western loughs.

jack01986 wrote: »

A friend of mine was guided on Corrib looking for big trout. They caught quite a lot of pike as well as they were trolling, the guide killed all the pike and threw them back into the lake 'cus they are eating all the trout'. They also caught a few good sized brown trout which were also knocked on the head. It doesn't make any sense to me.rolleyes.pngrolleyes.png

Do you know who the guide was by any chance? There are some very good guides on Corrib, I can PM them over to you. One in particular is probably fully booked up for 2020 at this stage!

Do you know who the guide was by any chance? There are some very good guides on Corrib, I can PM them over to you. One in particular is probably fully booked up for 2020 at this stage!

I've no doubt there are some great guides out there. I don't have this particular one's name. I'd have thought it would be in his interest to keep them alive. Keep his business going outside of the trout season.

• Advertisement

A friend of mine was guided on Corrib looking for big trout. They caught quite a lot of pike as well as they were trolling, the guide killed all the pike and threw them back into the lake 'cus they are eating all the trout'. They also caught a few good sized brown trout which were also knocked on the head. It doesn't make any sense to me.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Doesn't surprise me, I actually seen a pic of a dead ferox about 14lb and when people were complaining of why he killed it, he reply " it's no harm to kill a few ferox, sure they eat a good few trout" you couldn't make it up how backwards some of them are.

The damage is done, you can't go back to the TDs and the general public and say we were wrong, these are the actual reasons trout are being wiped out. These people are directly to blame for the decline of the western loughs.

One of them claimed on fishbook, that anglers only killed 3000 trout while Pike killed 250,000 every year on corrib. They said it ok to kill trout you caught because if you threw it back in, a Pike would kill it anyway ...lol

giphy.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

One of them claimed on fishbook, that anglers only killed 3000 trout while Pike killed 250,000 every year on corrib. They said it ok to kill trout you caught because if you threw it back in, a Pike would kill it anyway ...lol

I might know a group who will sort out the pike "problem" for them. Give them a month and corrib will be pike free

Was it Peter FitzGerald from Anglo Irish Bank that came up with those figures?

Who was the "guide"?

Who was the "guide"?

I don't know the guides name.

I don't know the guides name.

No worries.
    What a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Isn't this illegal nowadays?

• Advertisement

Eph1958 wrote: »
    Isn't this illegal nowadays?

Isn't what illegal?

Advertisement