Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

I have came across nasty elements in Cavan and Dublin as well, its the nature of neighbouring counties. I was at a Meath u21 game back in 96 vs Cavan and it was one of the most nasty atmospheres I was ever at
    I was also at a few nasty Dublin Meath encounters and Meath Westmeath as well. For the most part fans are genuine and fair, but there are always a few gob****es, we have them as well.
    meath seems to be the common denominator in all these nasty atmospheres. i travel all over the county and nobody believes meath are 2010 leinster champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

meath seems to be the common denominator in all these nasty atmospheres. i travel all over the county and nobody believes meath are 2010 leinster champions.

Ah for Christ sake! They may not have deserved it but they are '10 Leinster champions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Have a good look at the record books, I think you will find the correct answer.
    They are probably afraid that if they disagree with you that you will attack them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Agree in part, I believed a couple of years ago we had a forward line to compete with anyone, our midfield and backs have been the issue, under Banty, he has literally dissolved our forward threat with his negative tactics. Will the Woodies win Wexford again this year?

They would be the early favourites but we will know more about the opposition after the first round at the weekend. Horeswood only come out of hibernation in late July generally so we can't judge them until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Have a good look at the record books, I think you will find the correct answer.
    They are probably afraid that if they disagree with you that you will attack them :rolleyes:
    but louth dont have any violent fans do they or bitter ones for that matter surely??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I have came across nasty elements in Cavan and Dublin as well, its the nature of neighbouring counties. I was at a Meath u21 game back in 96 vs Cavan and it was one of the most nasty atmospheres I was ever at
    I was also at a few nasty Dublin Meath encounters and Meath Westmeath as well. For the most part fans are genuine and fair, but there are always a few gob****es, we have them as well.
    So that's all you are talking about in other counties??? They probably just say that to shut you up. I don't take pride in what happened in 2010 at all but no matter what happened ye still would not be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

but louth dont have any violent fans do they or bitter ones for that matter surely??

Nor Kildare for that matter?
    I repeat, Its no the first time youve made sweeping generalisations in relation to Louth fans, was at a club game not too many years ago in Kildare, at the final whistle, the ref received a full force belt from an umbrella held by one of your fellow county supporters and was verbally abused by many others. No County pride, Soccer fans, or were you one of them? or was I one of those who attacked Mr Sludden.

Options for the title of the Louth Discussion thread

1. Meath GAA discussion Thread
    2. How we were cheated out of Leinster in 2010
    3. Free the Drogheda two
    4. Louth Football Highlights 1952-2012 (No posts)
    5. Hopes for championship 2013

We wouldnt have enough of a population to post on it, smallest county in Ireland you see. Sure anyone can beat Louth, bottom 10 since 57. Dont know how they won the All Ireland in 1957, no other teams in it perhaps? I know the county is small but 'The Drogheda two' are not from Drogheda.

Nor Kildare for that matter?
    I repeat, Its no the first time youve made sweeping generalisations in relation to Louth fans, was at a club game not too many years ago in Kildare, at the final whistle, the ref received a full force belt from an umbrella held by one of your fellow county supporters and was verbally abused by many others. No County pride, Soccer fans, or were you one of them? or was I one of those who attacked Mr Sludden.

What club game and when?? It's well documented what happened in croker I am just pointing out facts as you seem to like to kick Meath lads when they are down and it's not on shame on you Louth lads for kicking the lads when they're down...

If you don't want your counties bad points pointed out or people complaining about all you ever do is moan about a game 2 years ago I mean cop on what gives you or any other wee men the right to lord it here?

Again Meath hope to see you back to strength soon and remember **** the wee begrudgers ;) sorry had to say that :D

What club game and when?? It's well documented what happened in croker I am just pointing out facts as you seem to like to kick Meath lads when they are down and it's not on shame on you Louth lads for kicking the lads when they're down...

If you don't want your counties bad points pointed out or people complaining about all you ever do is moan about a game 2 years ago I mean cop on what gives you or any other wee men the right to lord it here?

Again Meath hope to see you back to strength soon and remember **** the wee begrudgers ;) sorry had to say that :D

When have I done this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

[QUOTE=DARK-KNIGHT;78043049as you seem to like to kick Meath lads when they are down and it's not on shame on you Louth lads for kicking the lads when they're down...
    [/QUOTE]

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSI5R9pBcCR051tjTRGngZRD9o9xhLtDkMYTNUmM0lSHjCrBIg

It's a great feeling avoiding relegation whilst sending Meath down at the same time. I know you live in a happy land full of rainbows, magical gumdrops and where everybody holds hands and skips down the road singing happy songs but back in reality some of us had lads screaming, shouting and laughing in our faces after recent defeats by Meath so it feels good to finally get some payback.

When have I done this?

Didn't mean that about u in particular sorry but Louth fans here generally have those traits towards Meath and it's not on. The ref was to blame for 2010 not Meath..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

_48007871_432417.jpg

BAGMAN FOR HIRE

AKA TROJAN HOARE

WILL DESTROY YOU FROM THE INSIDE OUT

COMPLIANT COUNTY BOARD & HEARTLESS PLAYERS REQUIRED.

Didn't mean that about u in particular sorry but Louth fans here generally have those traits towards Meath and it's not on. The ref was to blame for 2010 not Meath..

I never once mentioned 2010, though I was there with two young children (imagine how that felt) whats gone is gone as far as I am concerned. The banter between Louth and Meath supporters has been ongoing all my time following Louth, during which Louth supporters have had to endure in both silence and admiration, the many great successful Meath achievements, vocally aired by Meath supporters in the pubs of many Louth towns and villages.

So when Louth do gain a victory over their royal neighbors (a rarity) no matter how in/significant the competition, it is perhaps understandable the vociferous nature of some of their supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

can we please try and keep this to present topics and MEATH discussion. One of the biggest things I dont understand is that the meath players are all behind Banty, still saying they want him to stay etc so they dont see that something is amiss here? I noticed Geraghty didnt tog out or was not named in programme. Has he finally coped on that he cant do both jobs, hopefully. I was mortified on Sunday at that game, not because Louth beat us or because we were relegated, because the lads had no heart, no fight, no want. Some of them do not belong on senior team, end of. I wish Mark Ward would just leave. He is disaster in every aspect and not a senior player. Also I wish Cian Ward would RUN abit and try actually fight for a ball now and then. I wish our boys would play football, traditionally, what we are known for, and not run around like headless chickens who have never seen or interacted with a ball before. I wish Banty would not come out after every game and say hes dissapointed with lads, fight not there but we'll get that right for the next day. No you have not got it right or corrected any problems and you are in denial that there is a major problem here are you are indeed in the centre of it. Take responsibility and sort this team out please!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I have to say though that Louth are entitled to enjoy their win over Meath on Sunday.2002 when Louth had them beat Geraghty popped up with a last kick of the game goal.In other meetings like 2010, this was never going to go away and will only really die down now that Louth have excorcised and go thteir own back at Meath and then there was last years mauling Louth took off Meath so it is understandable.

Can honestly say I remember screaming at McAulay to kill Tyrone off in 2010 after we just got the goal and this was down to our poor recent history with Tyrone especially in 2008. People need to realise that GAA is a tribal thing filled with passion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I've no problem with Louth enjoying the win, no problem taking a slagging off them either, I'm friends with alot of Dubs so I get alot of stick, my problem is the crap from the odd Louth fan saying "Louth won Leinster in '10" and "everyone I talk to, from any county knows Louth won Leinster '10" as I said above, we may not have deserved it but we did win it

Anyway, for once I'm not looking forward to the championship after a pretty dreadful league

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

blackbelt wrote: »
    2002 when Louth had them beat Geraghty popped up with a last kick of the game goal.

In the sixth minute of the four minutes the referee added on.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Flancrest

doncarlos wrote: »
    Agh come on now lads 2010 is bad enough don't be dragging up 2002.
    And it was at least 4 minutes of added time :D

I'd say Wicklow are dying to get thr Championship going

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Well this thread is going exceedingly well
    doncarlos wrote: »
    Really? 10 years later?

Anyway, back to Meath GAA talk: first round of the football championships are this weekend. I see the County Board are continuing their policy of ignoring Ratoath as a neutral ground for any championship games.

Also, Meath hurlers play Kildare in the division 2B final in Parnell Park on Sunday at 4pm. While they're not favourites to win, you can be sure they'll put up a fight unlike the footballers.

• Advertisement

snowgal wrote: »
    can we please try and keep this to present topics and MEATH discussion. One of the biggest things I dont understand is that the meath players are all behind Banty, still saying they want him to stay etc so they dont see that something is amiss here? I noticed Geraghty didnt tog out or was not named in programme. Has he finally coped on that he cant do both jobs, hopefully. I was mortified on Sunday at that game, not because Louth beat us or because we were relegated, because the lads had no heart, no fight, no want. Some of them do not belong on senior team, end of. I wish Mark Ward would just leave. He is disaster in every aspect and not a senior player. Also I wish Cian Ward would RUN abit and try actually fight for a ball now and then. I wish our boys would play football, traditionally, what we are known for, and not run around like headless chickens who have never seen or interacted with a ball before. I wish Banty would not come out after every game and say hes dissapointed with lads, fight not there but we'll get that right for the next day. No you have not got it right or corrected any problems and you are in denial that there is a major problem here are you are indeed in the centre of it. Take responsibility and sort this team out please!

The players might not talk of being unhappy, but the performance last Sunday said different.

Although, was it 96, we went to Kiltoom in the league and did not even score a point!, yet went on to win the All Ireland :)

Hope springs eternal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Flancrest

Right so Sunday and the league are over. Time to start looking forward to the business end of things.

Do you think we'll beat Wicklow(I do).

What would be your starting 15 for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Wins over Wicklow then Carlow expected then a good showing against Kildare (most likely) is what I'd expect to see before thinking about the back door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Well this thread is going exceedingly well

Really? 10 years later?

Anyway, back to Meath GAA talk: first round of the football championships are this weekend. I see the County Board are continuing their policy of ignoring Ratoath as a neutral ground for any championship games.

Also, Meath hurlers play Kildare in the division 2B final in Parnell Park on Sunday at 4pm. While they're not favourites to win, you can be sure they'll put up a fight unlike the footballers.

my god hammer archer you actually want to talk about gaa games taking place in meath??in the meath gaa thread??i need to lie down at this shocking departure from the last six pages.is ratoath not getting many games now, used to be a regular haunt of the pats for championship games a few years back.be interesting to see if we get many, or any now with the new grounds, championship games in stamullen are as rare as hens teeth.

on another note i think the reason graham geraghty isnt togging for the meath team is hes suspended.he was sent off in a club game in the last couple of weeks, being honest i forget the exact details around it now.maybe im wrong and club suspension doesnt affect county?on yet another suspension note, i heard andy mcentee got two months for throwing the shoulder into a young lad below in longford with the minors.great coach but fierce hot headed individual

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

rpurfield wrote: »
    my god hammer archer you actually want to talk about gaa games taking place in meath??in the meath gaa thread??i need to lie down at this shocking departure from the last six pages.is ratoath not getting many games now, used to be a regular haunt of the pats for championship games a few years back.be interesting to see if we get many, or any now with the new grounds, championship games in stamullen are as rare as hens teeth.
    I know. Egads :eek:
    By the looks of it Stamullen ain't getting any games in the first few championship weeks either which is unfortunate as they're fantastic facilities ye have. Yeah we hosted a good few senior games in the past but as far as I remember last year we only got a handful of Junior B and below. Don't think we had any senior games at all. Any games that could be played in Ratoath seem to be given to Ashbourne (like the Dunboyne - Dunshaughlin game which could have been fixed for the weekend in Ratoath). Our big problem is that we can't get floodlights for the main pitch as the residents next door objected.

on another note i think the reason graham geraghty isnt togging for the meath team is hes suspended.he was sent off in a club game in the last couple of weeks, being honest i forget the exact details around it now.maybe im wrong and club suspension doesnt affect county?on yet another suspension note, i heard andy mcentee got two months for throwing the shoulder into a young lad below in longford with the minors.great coach but fierce hot headed individual
    I'm not sure myself but I'm presuming it does affect county games. To be honest, I think the Kildare game showed that he just isn't up to county standard anymore. Replacing Biggie with him when the game was in the balance was a massive mistake and we possibly wouldn't have lost that game had he not been on.
    As for McEntee, I had the (mis)fortune to be a linesman at one of Donaghmore/Ashbourne's games in Ratoath a few years back and got torrents of abuse for a line ball I gave. I agree he's a fantastic manager but his temper and language that comes with it irritates me slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Club suspensions and inter county suspensions are entirely separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I know. Egads :eek:
    By the looks of it Stamullen ain't getting any games in the first few championship weeks either which is unfortunate as they're fantastic facilities ye have. Yeah we hosted a good few senior games in the past but as far as I remember last year we only got a handful of Junior B and below. Don't think we had any senior games at all. Any games that could be played in Ratoath seem to be given to Ashbourne (like the Dunboyne - Dunshaughlin game which could have been fixed for the weekend in Ratoath). Our big problem is that we can't get floodlights for the main pitch as the residents next door objected.

I'm not sure myself but I'm presuming it does affect county games. To be honest, I think the Kildare game showed that he just isn't up to county standard anymore. Replacing Biggie with him when the game was in the balance was a massive mistake and we possibly wouldn't have lost that game had he not been on.
    As for McEntee, I had the (mis)fortune to be a linesman at one of Donaghmore/Ashbourne's games in Ratoath a few years back and got torrents of abuse for a line ball I gave. I agree he's a fantastic manager but his temper and language that comes with it irritates me slightly.

refereed his young lad at u14 a few years back and the abuse outta him(andy not the young lad) was unreal!he wasnt even managing

anyone know what went on with the management committee last night.from reading hoganstand its another balls up from them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Club suspensions and inter county suspensions are entirely separate.

Not true, yes if the suspension is less than three months but anything 3 months or over affects both Club and County.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Awaiting a decision from Banty.....apparently...... http://www.hoganstand.com/Meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=166381

• Advertisement

Bye Bye Banty, Hopefully.

Yet again our County Board can't make a decision, They are hoping Banty will jump, that way they don't look as if they have got rid of another manager.

A couple of the County board need to have a long look in the mirror and think about vacating their seats as well, they have managed to preside over an era where the Meath Hurlers are playing at a higher level in the league than the footballers

Advertisement