Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone done a Foreign Wedding?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭skywayavenue

We got married in Ibiza. I organised the whole lot myself - no wedding planner. It wasn't anymore stressful than organising one here. We had around 70 guests. And I would say for what we had, comparably, we saved about 15k by having it abroad. Just to add we had to do the legal bit in Ireland, but that was no fuss or hassle just two witnesses and job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Hiya,
    We got married in Malta, over 4 years ago. Like yourself we wanted something different. We invited a good number, but a lot couldn't make it. But we had a nice crowd of close family and friends that traveled to Malta. Most stayed for 5 days and we stayed on for another few. We provided a travel consultant in Ireland to help with bookings etc.

It was a bit stressful at times, but in the end it was worth it all. We got married in a lovely church and had a outdoor reception here:
    https://limestoneheritage.com/

One piece of advice check out all the legalities, we had to be in Malta for 3 days before we could get married, so had to arrange our wedding day around that. There was a lot of forms etc to be completed, some only done when in Malta.

We did have a evening reception a week or so after we arrived home, so anyone that didn't make Malta could enjoy our wedding and be part of it.

So we had the best of both worlds!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

We got married here just outside the village of Gaucin in the Ronda mountains. It's about a 90 minute drive from Malaga airport which is quite a bit further than I had hoped when we started planning but the last half hour of the drive and the village are nothing short of spectacular so we went for it. We are UK based so we decided that seeing as Irish weddings are ridiculously expensive and UK weddings are crap (most venues close by 11ish) which 95% of the guests would have to fly over for anyway, Spain made a lot more sense.

The expense of it all is always a concern so we booked and paid for (helped save guests a little) the whole venue for the Saturday which slept about 80 iirc. A lot of people came over on the Friday for whom we provided a bus from the airport. The shindig didn't kick off until 3pm so some people flew in the Saturday, had the craic and went home on the Sunday - it cost the price of a Ryanair flight and a rental car for a day. We also asked for no gifts as we were very conscious that we were "dragging them abroad for a party".

The venue provided the planner as part of the package. The free bar was surprisingly inexpensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

saoirse88 wrote: »
    Hi, I was wondering if any of the extremely helpful people on here have any advice?

Bascially myself and my fiancee want to try and get married close to Barcelona. It makes the most sense as it's somewhere we love to visit but also it's so accessible for everyone from Ireland with so many flights to El Prat and Salou daily.

I know it's a serious cost on everyone so that's also why Barcelona is appealing because return flights often work out at less than 100 euro. There's been a lot of weddings recently, within our group of friends and family, and they've all been in Ireland and quite a few have commented that they're sick of the typical Irish wedding now.

So we want to try and make it as cost effective for everyone involved. There's a venue we've been to in Rome, Borgo di Tragliata, and that would be exactly what we'd be looking for. Everything from accom to church is onsite and very reasonable for all the guests. The problem with this venue is we've been to a wedding there already and are due to go to two more in the next 12 months so we can't really book it. We need somewhere that has onsite accom for roughly 100-120 people.

What I'm wondering is, does anyone know if there is anything similar in or around Catalonia? Or somewhere else that's just as accessible and cheap? We've been searching but can't find anything.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Most regard an invite to a foreign wedding as just the couples way of organising a 'go fund me' wedding/holiday'

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Got married in a place called Sant Llorenc del la Muga in 2012. It's north of girona and the name of the venue was hotel torre laurentii. The village was medival and very beautyfull. The venue was fantastic and we had 130 people. They cater specifically for wedddings. The dude that owned the place was American but a Spanish wife. A bit intense but delivered on everything

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I suppose what’s holding me back is those people that want to go but can’t financially, who’ll either not go or end up going and put themselves under pressure.

Is there any way of doing it cheaply where you can then pass on the savings to your guests?

I’d just make sure you’re definitely right on the prices of flights to Barcelona. I’ve just booked a holiday in Spain, and we were initially planning to fly into Barcelona and stay within a couple of hours drive. However, the flights were working out really really expensive, to the point that we’ve actually decided to go to the south of Spain instead, because the flight to Malaga was about €700 cheaper - and that was with us booking the “plus” fare on Aer Lingus to Malaga (20kg bag included plus priority boarding etc) vs just the bog standard fare to Barcelona not including a checked bag.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

^ Just to add to that, while you can sometimes get really good deals with Ryanair, you usually have to be pretty flexible with your dates. Obviously your guests will be aiming to be there for a set date, so they won't have the luxury of shopping around much.

Prices can obviously fluctuate too and the guests might actually push the prices up for each other when they start booking...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,542 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Couples that have foreign weddings tell people how amazing their weddings are.

Guests that are invited to foreign weddings don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

woodchuck wrote: »
    ^ Just to add to that, while you can sometimes get really good deals with Ryanair, you usually have to be pretty flexible with your dates. Obviously your guests will be aiming to be there for a set date, so they won't have the luxury of shopping around much.

Prices can obviously fluctuate too and the guests might actually push the prices up for each other when they start booking...
    ^This....
    We are getting married in Bordeaux and have decided to have food/drinks covered for the weekend aswell as transfers to make it cheaper for everyone who can come. 
    The only issue is that we picked Bordeaux mainly as A; we wanted it in France and b; it was €80 return flights when we checked last yr. unfortunately, this year its a good bit more expensive and i'm sure the demand for that weekend is pushing up the flights further.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

OP I recently did this and it was 100% worth it. As people have already said, Do what YOU WANT - its YOUR WEDDING. Don't let others sway you. I had 60 people in Portugal in a magnificent hotel, got married up on the cliffs and it was like nothing people had ever seen before. We got married in Ireland in a registry office in secret and then had a ceremonial wedding in Portugal, married by one of my close friends and it was the best decision ever. Paperwork overseas can be a pain so iuts easier that way. I had a wedding planner which is essential but mine was kinda rubbish at communicating and had me very stressed but did a fantastic job on the day. That's rare though most people have a great experience. I told people not to give me presents and make sure they book EARLY to get cheap flights. I said no kids which upset a few people but again best decision ever - people came and made it a holiday and it was an amazing experience for all.

Good luck and let us know any other questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

I personally would not go to an overseas wedding. Too much time off and expense.

The only people I know who’d go, from hearing about it, are: very close relatives, or young singles with a lot to spend. If that’s the crowd you want, then grand. I’d actually want the middle crowd! - the younger, friend crowd, who couldn’t afford to be going away for a wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 saoirse88

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

We researched a lot online and narrowed it down to 3 venues that we might like in Ireland. We viewed all 3 venues in the last 2 days. Two were very unique and rated very highly on every Irish wedding website online and the other is probably one of the nicest hotels within an hour of our home.

While all 3 were beautiful, I couldn't imagine myself getting married in any of them. I suppose I really realised how much i don't want a big wedding. It's not about the money, but it's just hard to justify spending 30k out of our savings we have for a house on something we don't even really want...it just doesn't make sense.

I suppose the positive is we now realise we'd like even less at a foreign wedding. Family and very close friends. So I suppose I have another few questions for anyone that can help.

How do you whittle down your numbers? Where do you draw the line with friends?
    With regards to entertainment for small foreign weddings, what do you do about entertainment? You need something to keep an atmosphere. Has anyone done a foreign wedding with 40 or less guests?

Thanks again for all the advice, it's really appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

We had 15 guests at our wedding. We just invited our parents brothers sisters their spouses/partners and their small children. No friends work colleagues neighbors etc. Married (church) at 11 lunch followed in a hotel and we left at 3.30 for our honeymoon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

OP you seem to think that you need to go abroad to have a small wedding. You can have a small wedding in Ireland too. I've just been invited to a wedding (in Ireland) where we've been told from a very reliable source that the total number of invites is 22!! They're just doing a ceremony in a registry office followed by a lunch. It will be a breath of fresh air after all the big hotel weddings in the back arse of nowhere that we've been invited to over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

How do you whittle down your numbers?

The same way you do at any other wedding:

Do you really, really want them there and couldn't imagine your day without them? If yes, invite them.

Anything other than the above? Don't invite them.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

We got married in Ibiza. I organised the whole lot myself - no wedding planner. It wasn't anymore stressful than organising one here. We had around 70 guests. And I would say for what we had, comparably, we saved about 15k by having it abroad. Just to add we had to do the legal bit in Ireland, but that was no fuss or hassle just two witnesses and job done.

Technically you actually got married in Ireland and had a party in Ibiza.
    That's some distance to go for the reception!

WittyName1 wrote: »
    Technically you actually got married in Ireland and had a party in Ibiza.
    That's some distance to go for the reception!

Suppose so! We didn't get married until after so guess it was the pre party!

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

How do you whittle down your numbers? Where do you draw the line with friends?
    With regards to entertainment for small foreign weddings, what do you do about entertainment? You need something to keep an atmosphere. Has anyone done a foreign wedding with 40 or less guests?

Thanks again for all the advice, it's really appreciated

The whittling down the numbers was the hard part for us as we didn't expect many to come as it was abroad. Turns out we only had around 15 no's and ended up with 70 guests. We didn't get "married" until the evening so we didn't need much entertainment. We had a fire show and then a DJ and that was enough.

I was recently at another wedding abroad probably around 45-50 guests and it was another great day. The thing to remember is the venues are going to be a lot different. You're not going to have 40 guests in a huge function room, its more than likely going to be a smaller venue/restaurant so the atmosphere kind of looks after itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Sono

We are going to a foreign wedding in September and I can’t wait for it, if you want to get married abroad go for it. The most important people will be there and that’s you, your partner and immediately family, everyone else can make their mind up if they can afford/want to go.

I’ve taken 2 days annual leave for an Irish wedding and I would much rather have been at a wedding abroad let me tell you.

We were going to get married abroad in 2017 but I just didn’t want the hassle from family about it so we stayed in Ireland, no regrets about our decision except for it pissed rain for the wedding day!

Anyway best of luck with your wedding planning and decision, it sounds like it will be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hello there, I've been to a few foreign weddings, including one in Spain.

The reason they start late in the evening, is because it's meltingly hot during the day.. 40+ degrees in some areas, and people take siestas to avoid that heat. We arrived during the afternoon before a wedding in the area, couldn't get into our accommodation, couldn't get a hairdresser that was open at that time, couldn't find an open cafe or restaurant to even use a loo.

As guests travelling, we did find the logistics awkward and expensive. Getting to the place they chose meant we had to hire a car and drive there, no bus available, and there was no local accommodation in the beautiful rural town, except a hostel with a curfew. So, bear that in mind when booking. The venues are totally idyllic, but there can be a fairly large hassle factor, If you are going abroad, it is much much handier if you are getting married near a hotel, in a big town or city. In spain, they tend to have dedicated wedding venues outside the city, rather than use hotels.

I would also suggest, to cut down on costs for guests, maybe cover their accommodation for the trip also. You could hire a large villa or similar, some sleep 20+ people.

Now, for all that, we loved that wedding in spain. The food was amazing, starting a wedding at 7pm was lovely, and the spanish guests were great craic.

• Advertisement

Thanks again everyone for the advice, it’s really helpful.

What are the average prices per person here inn ireland in a nice hotel? Say a 4 or 5 star? Would you get canapés, 3 course meal and some late night nibbles for €70pp?

I’m just trying to compare everything.

What are the average prices per person here inn ireland in a nice hotel? Say a 4 or 5 star? Would you get canapés, 3 course meal and some late night nibbles for €70pp?

The standard of 4* hotel varies wildly but you'd not get anything for 70e.

I don't know if you've already researched prices in Spain, but you'll not get that either at anywhere half decent.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Went to a friends wedding in Malta a few years back. Decent thing to have been in prison for them few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah you should do, anything from 50 odd Up Think I paid 79 a head with choices On a 5 course. They threw in rooms for the bridal party too. Few other extras too like sparkling wine on arrival instead of tea with better canapés.

You should do whatever you want but be under no illusion, weddings abroad are expensive to go to as a guest. Most will be happy to go but it costs far more than a wedding at home. As I’ve said before I’ve been to a couple and enjoyed them but I don’t really see what people think is so different, it’s a ceremony, a reception, a meal & a party. You can do less of you want but then your getting people to travel for less. I’m not against foreign weddings and would pick and choose whether to go based on who it is and the cost like I would any other wedding. Flights are a pain because your relying on something outside of your control. You may pick a weekend and when people go to book a large stag party might have booked to go out on the Friday driving up the prices on a particular flight.

The standard of 4* hotel varies wildly but you'd not get anything for 70e.

I don't know if you've already researched prices in Spain, but you'll not get that either at anywhere half decent.

€70 would be low? What is that including? Free bar for an hour or two?

€70 would be low? What is that including? Free bar for an hour or two?

A decent 4* in the north would cost you 75/80 sterling for 3 courses, table wine, evening food, prosecco/tea/biscuits on arrival and some comped rooms. Canapés extra.

And in Spain, the expectations are different. You'll have to do a proper spread of tapas and pintxos instead of canapés, cocktails, 5 course meal, free bar.

The one I'm going to in July is about 165e a head.

And in Spain, the expectations are different. You'll have to do a proper spread of tapas and pintxos instead of canapés, cocktails, 5 course meal, free bar.

The one I'm going to in July is about 165e a head.

I was under the impression that having a foreign wedding worked out cheaper?

€165 pp is crazy.

What’s the norm in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Sono

For anyone that has been to a foreign wedding what’s the craic with money in a card, is it looked upon differently cos of the cost to get there? Normally throw €200 in for an Irish wedding.

• Advertisement

Sono wrote: »
    For anyone that has been to a foreign wedding what’s the craic with money in a card, is it looked upon differently cos of the cost to get there? Normally throw €200 in for an Irish wedding.

It depends if it's a load of Irish people abroad or a mixed wedding where one of those getting married is from the "foreign" country.

At a Spanish wedding, a couple attending would probably be looking at giving 250-300 euro. Generally no card though, very transactional and you're given the account details to drop the cash into.

Advertisement