Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Sexual Health

Options
  • 10-01-2019 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,
    I'm new to Boards so forgive me if I make a mistake/am not posting correctly.

I'm looking to know what people's experience has been like accessing the STI services run by the HSE

I'm looking to write an article promotong sexual health and I have heard one or two of my peers describe their experience of attending their local clinic as "uncomfortable" or say they felt they were being judged by the doctor

Has anyone had the same kind of experience? Or did you even know that there are STI clinics run by the HSE with free testing available?
    Many Thanks for Your Help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Didn't know there were free STi clinics.

I know I've been screened for STIs as part of obstetrics services, and also by the gynecologist when I went for an appointment for something else.

I never felt uncomfortable for either, I was informed what I was being tested for, the usual panel of stuff, and that was that really.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I went to the one in Cork years and years ago, in the South Infimary I think? I don’t remember too much now, but it was very busy and very slow. I found it very awkward but that was probably due to my own anxiety as it was my first time getting tested.

I do remember feeling some judgement from the doctor, but again I think I was probably just projecting my own anxieties because, looking back, I really don’t think I said anything worthy of judgement!

Since then, STI testing was always carried out by my GP if she felt there was a reason to it, such as any gynaecological issues I was experiencing. She’s a delight so I’ve definitely not felt judged there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I'm in my mid 20's and was always aware STI clinics were available free of charge. I visited one before, in my local hospital. It was in the evening so there was fewer people around and they had a separate waiting room for men and women.

I never felt embarrassed, judged or uncomfortable. I didn't have any particular reason for going, it was just to get checked. Both the doctor who did the exam and the nurse who took my blood sample were nice and professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I was aware of the free HSE clinics but have never been to one, any time I've been tested I've gone private.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Hi all,
    I'm new to Boards so forgive me if I make a mistake/am not posting correctly.

I'm looking to know what people's experience has been like accessing the STI services run by the HSE

I'm looking to write an article promotong sexual health and I have heard one or two of my peers describe their experience of attending their local clinic as "uncomfortable" or say they felt they were being judged by the doctor

Has anyone had the same kind of experience? Or did you even know that there are STI clinics run by the HSE with free testing available?
    Many Thanks for Your Help!

You were a freelance journo in your other post !! :rolleyes: :confused:
    And maybe try proof reading (spell check) what you post , as some people might find it hard to believe that you are a "freelance journo" writing an article with those mistakes....... :cool:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
Advertisement