Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motogp 2018 News & Chat

Options
  • 17-01-2018 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭

News breaking that Jonas Folger has had to pull out of the 2018 season due to his on going illness.

Very sad news for a rider who battled for a win against Marquez at Sachensring.

Herve was only informed on Tuesday - no news on a replacement rider for Tech 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

motogp-team-ducati-launch-2018-bikes-of-andrea-dovizioso-and-jorge-lorenzo-ducati-team-7242207.jpg

The new Ducati is a bit of a head turner, not sure for good or bad reasons mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Infoanon wrote: »
    News breaking that Jonas Folger has had to pull out of the 2018 season due to his on going illness.

Very sad news for a rider who battled for a win against Marquez at Sachensring.

Herve was only informed on Tuesday - no news on a replacement rider for Tech 3

very sad news. he showed alot of potential last season. i can only imagine that missing a year can only be detrimental to his career

Gintonious wrote: »
    motogp-team-ducati-launch-2018-bikes-of-andrea-dovizioso-and-jorge-lorenzo-ducati-team-7242207.jpg

The new Ducati is a bit of a head turner, not sure for good or bad reasons mind you.

bike looks nice but i thought they banned wings:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

With most riders contactors being up at the end of the year the silly season is already in full swing with most interest concerning Dani Pedrosa at Honda and will Vale sign for another season ?.

Confirmed already is Petrucci and Pramac will part company at the end of 18 with Danilo either stepping up to a works Ducati seat (if Lorenzo does not deliver) or joining Aprilla.

Francesco Bagnaia will take his Pramac seat.

With most riders contactors being up at the end of the year the silly season is already in full swing with most interest concerning Dani Pedrosa at Honda and will Vale sign for another season ?.

Confirmed already is Petrucci and Pramac will part company at the end of 18 with Danilo either stepping up to a works Ducati seat (if Lorenzo does not deliver) or joining Aprilla.

Francesco Bagnaia will take his Pramac seat.

cant see dani leaving Honda where would he go?

vale is an interesting one he could go either way to be honest he finished 5th overall for last year so he is still competitive will be interesting to see how that plays out

oh that would be a dream for me if lorenzo loses his seat at ducati. i really dont like him but tbh i can see him been better this year.

who is giving up there seat in aprilla?

are the test days shown on the tele?

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    cant see dani leaving Honda where would he go?

vale is an interesting one he could go either way to be honest he finished 5th overall for last year so he is still competitive will be interesting to see how that plays out

oh that would be a dream for me if lorenzo loses his seat at ducati. i really dont like him but tbh i can see him been better this year.

who is giving up there seat in aprilla?

are the test days shown on the tele?

Who says it would be Danis choice ? however Honda are very loyal to Dani and he has proved himself a race winner and does not get in Marquez way - new boss in Puig but as for choices - Yamaha and Ducati have had chats with Dani in the past but I don't see any openings at either.

Vale is still competitive so expect an early season announcement of a one year extension.

Petrucci will probably go to Aprilla as Dovi and Lorenzo will probably stay at Ducati, Scott or Aleix will make way depending on their performances this year.

Tests are on videopass - don't know about BT

• Advertisement

DUTofngXcAAY4fE.jpg

I think this is just the new livery. Darker blue and a white Movistar logo. Its a bit of a looker.

Maverick Vinales confirmed at Yamaha for 2019/2020 - what's the odds on no changes at Honda/Yamaha and Ducati for 2019 !

hernandez testing for tech 3 at Malaysia. if he got the ride for the season it would be a great move for him.

who else is there that could replace folger?

hernandez testing for tech 3 at Malaysia. if he got the ride for the season it would be a great move for him.

who else is there that could replace folger?

Only there for testing apparently though Dorna would like to have South American rider and if testing goes well...,Tech 3 hope to announce their replacement for Jonas within the next 2 weeks :
    Possibles : Nozane,Baz,Bradl,van der Mark and Lowes - Bagnaia was being mentioned but a deal with Pramac would stop that.
    Biggest problem is getting riders out on any current contracts.

dani dovi and knob head the 3 quickest on first day of sepang test

• Advertisement

Lorenzo broke the lap record today around Sepang.

Gintonious wrote: »
    Lorenzo broke the lap record today around Sepang.

Ducatis and Hondas looking strong as is Alex Rins on the Suzuki

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Looking at the posts earlier about rider market we'll see quite a lot of activity very quickly about this I'd say. Rossi will re-sign with Yamaha on another two year deal in the next couple of weeks, I'd be very surprised if Zarco isnt announced at KTM in the opening rounds too (that was a very concrete rumour at Valencia) and you'd imagine that KTM won't make wholesale change so Pol or Brad should keep a seat. Of course though a lot depends on Pedrosa and it'd be a surprise to see him stay at Honda. That's not cos Dani isnt great (he is!) it's because of the complicated relationship he has with Puig. If Dani is pushed out his history with Mike Leitner (his former crew chief) could see him jump to the top of the list at KTM.
    If Dani leaves Dovi could be in play for the second Honda seat as a dependable rider etc that can fill the second seat. Honda would ideally want to replace Dani with a younger rider for fear that Marquez jumps ship but unless they hire Mir their options could be limited. It'd be a shock to see Lorenzo leave Ducati, particularly with both Yamaha seats filled, so even though he's still arguably the most complete rider on the grid he mightn't have an alternative option than Ducati.
    I'd be shocked if Suzuki make a change. Iannone turned it up at the end of last year and the team went from giving consideration to changing crew chiefs to backing AI to the hilt. The talk about Johnny Rea going there was legit in June and July so there's potential that they might look to JR again and if they called I'm certain that he'd jump at the chance.
    Aprilia is an interesting one. Aleix will stay, the team love him, but the second seat could definitely be up for grabs if Redding isn't having success. Who they go for could be interesting but Petrucci would certainly fit the bill for them. He was previously an Aprilia supported rider (at the end of the IODA project). He's said that his time has ran out at Pramac and I'd be very surprised if he was to be the man to replace Dovi (if Dovi leaves) just because despite Danilo having a lot of good results he's too inconsistent in the dry and it's hard to argue that he deserves one of the best rides on the grid. It'd be a surprise if Miller and Pecco wasnt the team at Pramac next year but if Jack has a good first half of the year he could certainly be in play for Dovi's seat.
    It's all action already in terms of who goes where and that's even before we start thinking about the likes of Miguel Oliviera, Brad Binder, Sam Lowes etc from Moto2

frostie500 wrote: »
    Looking at the posts earlier about rider market we'll see quite a lot of activity very quickly about this I'd say. Rossi will re-sign with Yamaha on another two year deal in the next couple of weeks, I'd be very surprised if Zarco isnt announced at KTM in the opening rounds too (that was a very concrete rumour at Valencia) and you'd imagine that KTM won't make wholesale change so Pol or Brad should keep a seat. Of course though a lot depends on Pedrosa and it'd be a surprise to see him stay at Honda. That's not cos Dani isnt great (he is!) it's because of the complicated relationship he has with Puig. If Dani is pushed out his history with Mike Leitner (his former crew chief) could see him jump to the top of the list at KTM.
    If Dani leaves Dovi could be in play for the second Honda seat as a dependable rider etc that can fill the second seat. Honda would ideally want to replace Dani with a younger rider for fear that Marquez jumps ship but unless they hire Mir their options could be limited. It'd be a shock to see Lorenzo leave Ducati, particularly with both Yamaha seats filled, so even though he's still arguably the most complete rider on the grid he mightn't have an alternative option than Ducati.
    I'd be shocked if Suzuki make a change. Iannone turned it up at the end of last year and the team went from giving consideration to changing crew chiefs to backing AI to the hilt. The talk about Johnny Rea going there was legit in June and July so there's potential that they might look to JR again and if they called I'm certain that he'd jump at the chance.
    Aprilia is an interesting one. Aleix will stay, the team love him, but the second seat could definitely be up for grabs if Redding isn't having success. Who they go for could be interesting but Petrucci would certainly fit the bill for them. He was previously an Aprilia supported rider (at the end of the IODA project). He's said that his time has ran out at Pramac and I'd be very surprised if he was to be the man to replace Dovi (if Dovi leaves) just because despite Danilo having a lot of good results he's too inconsistent in the dry and it's hard to argue that he deserves one of the best rides on the grid. It'd be a surprise if Miller and Pecco wasnt the team at Pramac next year but if Jack has a good first half of the year he could certainly be in play for Dovi's seat.
    It's all action already in terms of who goes where and that's even before we start thinking about the likes of Miguel Oliviera, Brad Binder, Sam Lowes etc from Moto2

very interesting post alot of potential moves there that could shake up the grid.

aside from the potential rider moves does anyone know who will be commenting for btsports this season?

also it was great to see rabat in the top 10 faster today

aside from the potential rider moves does anyone know who will be commenting for btsports this season?

From what I've been told it'll be Hodgey, Keith and Gavin with Edwards potentially doing some sessions here and there.

motogp-sepang-january-testing-2018-valentino-rossi-yamaha-factory-racing-7396264.jpg

Valentino-Rossi-AGV-Pista-GP-R-SoleLuna-Helmet-216021A9HY_004_5.jpg

Rossi is rocking his helmet design from 20 years ago.

I want one, and an R1M to go with it.

frostie500 wrote: »
    Of course though a lot depends on Pedrosa and it'd be a surprise to see him stay at Honda. That's not cos Dani isnt great (he is!) it's because of the complicated relationship he has with Puig. I'd be shocked if Suzuki make a change. Iannone turned it up at the end of last year and the team went from giving consideration to changing crew chiefs to backing AI to the hilt.

Thanks Frostie - a very interesting post, Puig seemed to making positive statements about Dani recently and he is held in high esteem at HRC so I don't think its a certainty that he will move, with Rins performing to his expected high standard Andrea will need to raise his game and I don't think its a certainty that crazy joe stays at Suzuki.

Think a lot will be sorted by Jerez !

Thanks Frostie - a very interesting post, Puig seemed to making positive statements about Dani recently and he is held in high esteem at HRC so I don't think its a certainty that he will move, with Rins performing to his expected high standard Andrea will need to raise his game and I don't think its a certainty that crazy joe stays at Suzuki.

Think a lot will be sorted by Jerez !

Puig may have been positive about Dani since getting the job but as recently as the Valencia GP he was on Spanish TV blasting Dani and saying that he didnt deserve the ride. That's second hand info though because I dont speak Spanish but there's no love lost between the pair after their split a few years ago. It's ironic that within 24 hours of saying these comments Suppo took us all by surprise and left and obviously since then Puig has been given the team manager job...it's going to be very interesting how it plays out! I still think that Honda would ideally want Mir on the bike but if he's not ready it could be a toss up between Dani and Dovi

Only there for testing apparently though Dorna would like to have South American rider and if testing goes well...,Tech 3 hope to announce their replacement for Jonas within the next 2 weeks :
    Possibles : Nozane,Baz,Bradl,van der Mark and Lowes - Bagnaia was being mentioned but a deal with Pramac would stop that.
    Biggest problem is getting riders out on any current contracts.

Hafizh Syahrin has got the call up for the pre season test at Buriram for Tech3 and has been replaced by Zulfahmi Khairuddin at the SIC Moto 2 team.

DWJeL9CVoAAdSzU.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Tech 3 and Yamaha to part ways next year. I take that means there will be a VR46 Yamaha satellite team in 2019.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2018/02/22/yamaha-and-tech-3-to-part-ways-in-2019/250422

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭legrand

What bike (Zarco) are Tech 3 running in 2018?  Yamaha's  2017 factory bike?  Not caught up with all the testing but from what I can gather Zarco's T3 blitzed the opposition again..?

legrand wrote: »
    What bike (Zarco) are Tech 3 running in 2018? Yamaha's 2017 factory bike? Not caught up with all the testing but from what I can gather Zarco's T3 blitzed the opposition again..?

Believe its the 16 chassis with 17 aeros.

Very strong rumours that Zarco will be on a factory supported 19 KTM run by KTM.

Who will Yamaha align with on '19??

Believe its the 16 chassis with 17 aeros.

Very strong rumours that Zarco will be on a factory supported 19 KTM run by KTM.

Who will Yamaha align with on '19??

i can see rossi leaving yamaha at the end of the season and having his vr46 team take the yamaha bike instead of tech 3. then he either rides the first season with them or he runs the team?

i can see rossi leaving yamaha at the end of the season and having his vr46 team take the yamaha bike instead of tech 3. then he either rides the first season with them or he runs the team?

Rossi will finish his career as a works Yamaha rider imho

Ktm confirmed as partners with tech 3 in 2019.

first race this weekend who do you fancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Ralf Waldmann..R.I.P.

Great rider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

first race this weekend who do you fancy?

The GOAT of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Rossi signs a new two year contract with Yamaha for 2019 and 2020.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/891552/1/valentino-rossi-resigns-yamaha

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Advertisement