Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FM104 Phoneshow vs. Niall Boylan Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

It feels like Cormac and Saoirse are only there as caretaker presenters until they find a full time presenter to resume the show in it's proper format.

Cormac seems have moved in full-time as someone has taken over his Sunday slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

sadly i have had to switch off the phone show. i like cormac as a presenter but i don't like the new format of the show. the niall boylan show seems to be still repeats from time to time. i have found replacements anyway.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Niall Boylan is anything but pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

Cormac seems have moved in full-time as someone has taken over his Sunday slot.

No more Phoneshow for me. Really, they should change the name of the show now.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭madnessnmayhem

Dr Brown wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened to Chris Barry ?
    Met Andy P other day and did ask him how was Chris? He said he spoken to before Christmas and said he's doing well after his heart operation, it seems doing the phone show caused him a lot of stress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Met Andy P other day and did ask him how was Chris? He said he spoken to before Christmas and said he's doing well after his heart operation, it seems doing the phone show caused him a lot of stress

Given Barry's experience I thought he would be able to do the phone show on auto pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Jaster Rogue

sadly i have had to switch off the phone show. i like cormac as a presenter but i don't like the new format of the show. the niall boylan show seems to be still repeats from time to time. i have found replacements anyway.

That's exactly why I stopped listening to Niall Boylan at night, it's completely random whether you're listening to a repeat or not. There's no consistency. Even listening to a live show you think it's a repeat. They should leave him in the lunchtime slot and bring in a permanent new host for the night slot. Don't like the new format of fm104 phoneshow either but at least it's live most nights.

There's no serious topics with people phoning in arguing their points with each other. Is Cormac taking over as the reigns full time now? He's good at the lighthearted and comedy stuff and it's entertaining radio but I'm starting to miss the old format. Like has been said above, there's huge potential for a talented host to revive late night Dublin talk radio.

The show is going to die off if they keep the new format. On a side note, 104 were apparently still pursuing Adrian and Jeremy up until not too long ago. I heard that they were only interested in taking one of them back as the cost to have both would have been too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

The show is going to die off if they keep the new format. On a side note, 104 were apparently still pursuing Adrian and Jeremy up until not too long ago. I heard that they were only interested in taking one of them back as the cost to have both would have been too expensive.

Adrian is better without Jeremy.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Jaster Rogue

They were playing music - like actual full songs, on Friday night's "Phone" show. That's where I draw the line, I'm out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

I think Niall Boylan has burn-out, he's lost his zing and now 2 nights a week repeats, it had to come to this eventually, no more gas in the tank.

Am I the only one who feels that night talk radio is dead?

Am I the only one who feels that mid-morning talk radio is dead? Most of the segments on Dublin Talks now seeem to consist of generic questions like, "what's your favourite food?" and "your no.1 life hack". All really bland, by the numbers stuff and not much of the serious discussion which is Adrian's forte and what he's known for.

Mutant z wrote: »
    Im just wondering does the caller John still ring into Niall Boylan not John O Donovan, the professional protester the other John who used to always give out about single mothers on welfare and hated working class people.

He used to ring in to the Adrian Kennedy Phoneshow back in the day. If memory serves me right, he went by the name "Zoltan".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

They have really butchered the phone show.

TallGlass wrote: »

agreed. i don't even bother tuning in now.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Cormac is just doing his previous show, Sunday night live, under a different title.

Does anyone listen to the Phoneshow now? They haven't uploaded any new podcasts since Keith left.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭chilloutrelax

Does anyone listen to the Phoneshow now? They haven't uploaded any new podcasts since Keith left.

Isn’t even called the phoneshow anymore.. more called Room 104 on the website today

Isn’t even called the phoneshow anymore.. more called Room 104 on the website today

I'd say Adrian might be slightly annoyed about this. He did an interview with Andrew Mangan about 4 years ago in which he expressed his annoyance over the show's lapse in quality, considering the amount of work he and Jeremy put in to it. He was heavily invested in it and made the Phoneshow what it was.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I'd say Adrian might be slightly annoyed about this. He did an interview with Andrew Mangan about 4 years ago in which he expressed his annoyance over the show's lapse in quality, considering the amount of work he and Jeremy put in to it. He was heavily invested in it and made the Phoneshow what it was.

I’d say Adrian is laughing to be honest.

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    I’d say Adrian is laughing to be honest.

Perhaps, but taking in to account how long he was at 104, I reckon he might still be a bit irked.. The show as a brand was around for almost 25 years and for 16 of those years, himself and Jeremy gave it their all, resulting in it being the most listened to night time show in Ireland. The way all that was undone by Chris etc and to see it's demise now, I think Adrian mightn't be as pleased as some might think.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Perhaps, but taking in to account how long he was at 104, I reckon he might still be a bit irked.. The show as a brand was around for almost 25 years and for 16 of those years, himself and Jeremy gave it their all, resulting in it being the most listened to night time show in Ireland. The way all that was undone by Chris etc and to see it's demise now, I think Adrian mightn't be as pleased as some might think.

He no longer works there and works for a rival station. I really don't believe he'll be as bothered about it as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Walking_Wolf

I reckon he's pleased about it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Blueeyes1

Oh My God , The Fm104 Show is dredfull i stopped listening to it ages ago because its the Cormac and Saoirse talk sh1te between them self's show! You have lost the whole concept of the show pulling people in to debate on air on the topics that people loved to listen to! It was entertaining !! Lads i think you need to listen back to the old show's and revert back or just scrap the whole thing and just put on music for the night! Get the professionals back and learn from them! Remember its a Talk Show.....

i can't see anything resembling the phone show returning now unfortunately.
    i would be shocked if this new show is keeping the listeners though. or even has more listeners.
    at this stage i would like to see 4fm and niall boylan capitalize on it and go full on topics for a few hours. scrap the afternoon show and focus on perhapse a little longer night time show?

Blueeyes1 wrote: »
    Oh My God , The Fm104 Show is dredfull i stopped listening to it ages ago because its the Cormac and Saoirse talk sh1te between them self's show! You have lost the whole concept of the show pulling people in to debate on air on the topics that people loved to listen to! It was entertaining !! Lads i think you need to listen back to the old show's and revert back or just scrap the whole thing and just put on music for the night! Get the professionals back and learn from them! Remember its a Talk Show.....

I had a listen to this a few nights ago and agree, it's not very good at all. They really should have let Cormac continue with the once a week show he was doing and brought in a heavyweight presenter to continue the Phoneshow. The Phoneshow was a Dublin institution, synonymous with the city at night. It's hard to believe they cancelled it only to replace it with something as boring and non-descript as this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The old shouty-skanger format talk show is dead, because people do that shouting on Twitter now. You can't bring it back.

I'm just wondering, how many here are regular listeners to Adrian and Jeremy on 98fm? I was a regular listener during the FM104 years but only tune in occasionally now. The show is decent but nothing compared to the old Phoneshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Walking_Wolf

I'm just wondering, how many here are regular listeners to Adrian and Jeremy on 98fm? I was a regular listener during the FM104 years but only tune in occasionally now. The show is decent but nothing compared to the old Phoneshow.

I listen to the show fairly regularly and while I think it's a good show, I don't think it's anywhere as great as their fm104 phoneshow was. It is what it is. I do think though, that the people who said when they first moved to 98fm, that their type of radio wouldn't translate to a daytime slot, have ultimately been proven right, by the fact that the show has completely changed in the last two years. They haven't just toned down the show and their former presenting styles/on-air personas, but abandoned them altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Surely it's an oxymoron - the no repeat? How many of Boylan's shows are repeats?

Advertisement