Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FM104 Phoneshow vs. Niall Boylan Show

Options
  • 29-04-2017 9:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3

I know people have their opinions on these types of shows.. but who do you think is doing the better show at the moment? .. or Dublin Talks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

Both rubbish IMO. Is it just me or does boylan talk about sex too much? It's actually boarderline creepy. That's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Niall loves the sound of his own voice and his opinion is all that matters. He will argue to the death about something and never be told he's wrong.

Chris Barry has no interest in anything his callers have to say.

Adrian Kennedy seems alright, actually takes an interest in what people are saying and seems empathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

I only get to hear niall boylan on 4fm but don't listen much now it's the same topics over and over. I don't like the constant swearing although I might swear a bit myself but i don't think we need to hear the f word all the time at night. My nightly listening now is James whale on talkradio app then Ian Collins or nick Abbot on lbc via sat box. Funny how they can do a show whit out callers f ing and blinding at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭TheLonelyOne

fussyonion wrote: »
    Niall loves the sound of his own voice and his opinion is all that matters. He will argue to the death about something and never be told he's wrong.

Adrian Kennedy seems alright, actually takes an interest in what people are saying and seems empathetic.

8e a lot for Chris to have any interest in what his callers say when you consider that he has not done the show for months.

8e a lot for Chris to have any interest in what his callers say when you consider that he has not done the show for months.

Why are you stating the obvious?
    I know he hasn't done the show in months. That doesn't take away from the fact that when he IS hosting it, he seems disinterested in what people are saying.

• Advertisement

Why are you stating the obvious?
    I know he hasn't done the show in months. That doesn't take away from the fact that when he IS hosting it, he seems disinterested in what people are saying.

Well why even mention his name when he has not done the show since last year. Obviously you MEANT when he WAS presenting the show but didn't say that. Pfffttttttt.....

Well why even mention his name when he has not done the show since last year. Obviously you MEANT when he WAS presenting the show but didn't say that. Pfffttttttt.....

Because the OP asked our opinion on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

Chris Barry was the best on the radio he speak his mind.

Greg Merriman was quite good i thought he be a good replacement for Chris.

Niall Boylan is good at lunchtime good at his job better than 2fm.

Adrian Kennedy is good to listen to when he is doing it solo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Wolf_Man_Woof

Yeah, I agree about Chris having no real interest while he was at the helm. The guy who's presenting the Phoneshow now is doing a good job, I think. He seems interested and actually gets involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Wolf_Man_Woof

I'd love if Adrian and Jeremy were doing a night-time show again. I know they had their detractors, but I loved the Phoneshow when they were at the helm.

• Advertisement

vince wrote: »
    I only get to hear niall boylan on 4fm but don't listen much now it's the same topics over and over. I don't like the constant swearing although I might swear a bit myself but i don't think we need to hear the f word all the time at night. My nightly listening now is James whale on talkradio app then Ian Collins or nick Abbot on lbc via sat box. Funny how they can do a show whit out callers f ing and blinding at each other.

I like Talkradio as well and Iain Lee can be good after the James Whale show!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 Big Barry

Boylan is by far the best talk show host that is out there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

Big Barry wrote: »
    Boylan is by far the best talk show host that is out there at the moment.
    Nice one Niall :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

AK alone but JD just drags him down , imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

AK alone but JD just drags him down , imho.

Jeremy is just a troll these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Gauguin_Ghost

There really isn't a late-night phone-in show right now that is anywhere as good as the Adrian Kennedy and Jeremy Dixon era FM104 Phoneshow was. That show was consistently the most listened to night time show in Ireland for a reason. It was a masterclass in this type of radio. Especially during the Celtic Tiger era, the toxicity of that time made for some brilliant radio. The Halloween Specials were fun too. Dublin Talks however, pales in comparison. The main reason for this is that it's pre-watershed. The lads are wizards at what they do- in the right situation. Their Phoneshow worked so well because they had nearly 3 hours of post-watershed freedom which allowed them to basically do/say whatever they wanted. And pre-watershed also mean no pissed up skangers! I'd love if they were doing a night-time show again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

used to be an avid listener of the Niall Boylan show and really enjoyed listening at first, but i eventually got bored listening to the same topics over and over, and the same callers banging the same predictable drum, so i don't listen much these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Im just wondering does the caller John still ring into Niall Boylan not John O Donovan, the professional protester the other John who used to always give out about single mothers on welfare and hated working class people.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

There really isn't a late-night phone-in show right now that is anywhere as good as the Adrian Kennedy and Jeremy Dixon era FM104 Phoneshow was. That show was consistently the most listened to night time show in Ireland for a reason. It was a masterclass in this type of radio. Especially during the Celtic Tiger era, the toxicity of that time made for some brilliant radio. The Halloween Specials were fun too. Dublin Talks however, pales in comparison. The main reason for this is that it's pre-watershed. The lads are wizards at what they do- in the right situation. Their Phoneshow worked so well because they had nearly 3 hours of post-watershed freedom which allowed them to basically do/say whatever they wanted. And pre-watershed also mean no pissed up skangers! I'd love if they were doing a night-time show again.

absolutely agree with this. the phoneshow now is nothing in comparison. i guess times and things move on, and Adrian and Jeremy decided they wanted to move on, but it's a great shame they aren't still doing the show. it was religious listening tbh. it's just not the same now. nobody's fault i guess, but it isn't the same.
    even chris barry when he was on it after the 2 lads left didn't live up to what i hoped for (i had heard his shows in the 90s were very good also but it was before i began listening to the phoneshow) so somebody will correct me.
    maybe if presenters had more freedom then that would make a big change.
    Mutant z wrote: »
    used to be an avid listener of the Niall Boylan show and really enjoyed listening at first, but i eventually got bored listening to the same topics over and over, and the same callers banging the same predictable drum, so i don't listen much these days.

i agree with this also. i think that is down to the limited freedom that niall has doing the show, compared to say, his show on 98 fm (which i did listen to the odd time) . but sadly as time moves on, broadcasters have less freedom to do and say, which makes talk shows repetitive and boaring.
    i think in the right situation and given enough freedom his show could be decent and less repetitive.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I miss the fm104 phoneshow with Adrian and Jeremy, particularly the get it off your chest parts. Used to have it on in the background after 9!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I used to listen to these shows but then it came to a point where it was just the same topics night after night. Dublin Talks has the odd interesting topic, Niall Boylan seems to be too Joe Duffyesque and the Fm104 Phoneshow is the same or similar topics every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Yeah the phoneshow definitely had trolls to rile up people to get them to ring up.

That Jude fella comes to mind

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I used to listen to these shows but then it came to a point where it was just the same topics night after night. Dublin Talks has the odd interesting topic, Niall Boylan seems to be too Joe Duffyesque and the Fm104 Phoneshow is the same or similar topics every night.

Any one else find Niall can be a wee bit seedy at times?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

How so?

I think Keith Ward is doing quite a good job on the Phoneshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭aon1998

I think Keith Ward is doing quite a good job on the Phoneshow.

I think so too but he can let the conversation go off topic at times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 weary_salesman

the nial boylan show must be really desperate for callers , i called them once about two years ago and they call me about one per month since asking if il go on air

aon1998 wrote: »
    I think so too but he can let the conversation go off topic at times.

He's a marked improvement over Chris Barry.

I think Niall Boylan's show is pretty stale these days, mainly because he always has the same callers on. AK and JD are nowhere near as good as they were back in their prime but theirs is still the best show. They've a few good callers, the American head banger who rings in is a laugh.

I don't think these types of shows will be around in 10 years time though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Netherlandish

Dublin Talks is a boring, stifled pastiche of The Phoneshow with Adrian and Jeremy. It's also proof that the 'referee amongst the arguing callers' style of radio(of which the two lads are masters) isn't suited to a daytime audience.

The AK and JD era Phoneshow was my favourite thing on radio. I loved it for what it unapologetically was, pure voyeurism. The callers to phone-in shows are just as important as the presenters and the Phoneshow was never short of interesting characters. Especially during the mid 2000s when the Celtic tiger was in full swing, coked-up ''millionaires'' would ring in and try to outdo each other, bragging about property... it was radio gold. It had people from all walks of Dublin life call in, sex workers and individuals involved in criminality would ring in and you got to hear voices and opinions that you might normally never have heard. It was always interesting and at times, really compelling. This voyeurism and grittiness is what's missing from Dublin Talks, but of course it is because DT is pre-watershed. The Phoneshow's post-watershed time slot played to the lads' strengths. Dublin Talks' slot however, highlights their weaknesses. It's boring and feels very 'produced' and artificial, at odds with how organic and natural the Phoneshow was.

I wonder, would the lads ever go back to working nights?

Advertisement