Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Jaysus, where to start...

The myhome.ie ads...any and all of them...that bastard's voice/accent is like sharpened bamboo shoots being driven under your fingernails...as for the quality of humour on them, references to kewl yoof stuff like Glastonbury etc...PFO.

That current tourism ad using festivals as it's pulling point...little miss cosmo is out getting bladdered and trying to entice random fellas in some sh*thole shebeen in the back of beyond...bugs me for no apparent reason.

Obviously any T&C's apply, financially regulated ad, goes without saying really.

There's one ad for something or other at the moment, with twocountry lads taking the mick out of the port tunnel that gets a chuckle out of me everytime, "I say it's nearly as big as that there truck!" "As big as that there truck?" "No nearly" :D...yet I still don't know what it's even trying to sell me; my kind of ad! More like this please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I hate the Lyons tea (I think) ad where their is a conversation between some sleepy guy and a woman, it goes something like this:

Woman: Busy at work?
    Man: Maybe
    Woman: Really?
    Man: Not Really
    Woman: You need some tea
    Man: I think so
    Woman: I think so too

It is absolutely pointless, and not relevant to tea at all.

However, there is one ad I do like at the moment. it's for Yorkie bars, with two men, one with a thick Dublin accent, and the other with a upper-middle class accent. "Wacker's favorite hobbies include asking people for the pain and weather they are starting!"

Hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mikesee

has anybody heard the new tv licence ad. this one takes it to a new low. some fellow badly acting 3 or 4 different accents and a few changes of tone and pitch thrown in.they are basically saying we are going to annoy the sh**e out of ye and we don't care. i have e-mailed them today to say that i am going to boycot rte until it is pulled.

maybe its just me!!

p.s. i also hate the phonewatch " burglers" ad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Tallspoon

Its late and i may ramble so sorry in advance. i just need to let off a bit of steam about the fcuking cheesy Toyota adverts.
    1. Some smug sounding mug is going on about how he is walking down the pier at dun laogrie (sic) and how he spots "your man with the coffee" and how he has to "grab one "( I thought the term was buy or purchase one) and how the Dun Laoghire or is it Bray looks like Naples. For fcuks sake is he trying to sell me a car or a holiday. The ad is cheesy fake sincerity bollokcs. I prefer the US tv car ads where a local Toyota salesman appears in his yard with a baseball bat and proceeds to get medieval with the bat smashing up cars and going ballistic about how much he wants to sell you a car and what he will do to get you into one.

2. Some smug cnut proceeding to describe his visit to connemara in winter and how he phones "the ladz at clifden" when he is at outreghard to get themselves greased up and ready (ok so i made the last bit about greased up...up) then he goes on about how one day he will fish all of the connemara lakes one by one. What a pile of pish...or should I say fish! This is supposed to be a Toyota advert. I want to hear about its top speed, economy, price not this Holiday in the west crud. Advertising guys whoever you are please I beg you stop foisting this sentimental shoite on us. I will put an embargo on your product until the advertising improves.

On a lighter note I am quite well oiled at present and accidentally selected the Smiths Meat is Murder to play on my PC. I have not listened to this album for a while and have to say each track is an absolute delight. It is like rediscovering an old friend and one day I promise I will come back and fish all these lakes one by one after I have had some fun with the Boyz at Cliden. Sorry time for bed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Tallspoon wrote:
    On a lighter note I am quite well oiled at present and accidentally selected the Smiths Meat is Murder to play on my PC. I have not listened to this album for a while and have to say each track is an absolute delight.

Chrisht, my drunken posts pale in comparison!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Tallspoon wrote:
    Its late and i may ramble so sorry in advance. i just need to let off a bit of steam about the fcuking cheesy Toyota adverts.
    1. Some smug sounding mug is going on about how he is walking down the pier at dun laogrie (sic) and how he spots "your man with the coffee" and how he has to "grab one "( I thought the term was buy or purchase one) and how the Dun Laoghire or is it Bray looks like Naples. For fcuks sake is he trying to sell me a car or a holiday. The ad is cheesy fake sincerity bollokcs. I prefer the US tv car ads where a local Toyota salesman appears in his yard with a baseball bat and proceeds to get medieval with the bat smashing up cars and going ballistic about how much he wants to sell you a car and what he will do to get you into one.

2. Some smug cnut proceeding to describe his visit to connemara in winter and how he phones "the ladz at clifden" when he is at outreghard to get themselves greased up and ready (ok so i made the last bit about greased up...up) then he goes on about how one day he will fish all of the connemara lakes one by one. What a pile of pish...this is supposed to be a Toyota advert. I want to hear about its top speed, economy, price not this Holiday in the west crud. Advertising guys whoever you are please I beg you stop foisting this sentimental shoite on us. I will put an embargo on your product until the advertising improves.

Was thinking the exact same thing myself. You can do all that crap in any car, but what I want to know is, what's it like to sit in in traffic every day for an hour and a half? cnuts!!!!

And also...can I sue Toyota as their line about being the best built cars in the world is plainly a lie.
    I wonder if Mercedes, Lexus, Porsche would fund my case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Another ad that I find quite humorous is an ad for some ice cream bar, it starts with a conversation between a couple:

Man: Close your eyes and open your mouth.
    Woman: Hmmmmmmmm.

The dirty thoughts that went through my head when I first heard that!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

How come 90% of ads now say "terms and conditions apply" WTF.

Why bother even advertising !

Its like the simpsons where they have ads for the lottery and then say afterwards *buying a lottery ticket does not guarantee you to be a millionaire.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Tallspoon wrote:
    And also...can I sue Toyota as their line about being the best built cars in the world is plainly a lie.
    I wonder if Mercedes, Lexus, Porsche would fund my case!

Ah but its entirely subjective you see - it's just their opinion... and it's a slogan... it plainly doesn't have to be scientifically true... someone just has to believe it - and Toyota do. Or they say they do. Which is good enough. For them.

...Like working in a photo lab (which I do) and saying that yours is the best value service in town. That doesn't mean that it's the best quality or the cheapest... it means that in the stores own opinion, you're getting the most for your money.

In Toyota's opinion, nobody builds cars better than they do. That, of course, is bollocks, as Volkswagen do. That's my opinion... and I'm rambling a bit due to being tired and cranky.
    Sizzler wrote:
    How come 90% of ads now say "terms and conditions apply" WTF.

Because terms and conditions apply? ... It's probably a legal requirement.

The ones I hate are the ads for financial institutions where AFTER THE ACTUAL AD, someone with a different voice actually lists off the terms and conditions and reminds you that the institution is a tied agent of whoever and is regulated by the whatever authority. Those bits almost end up being longer than the ad itself. It's going to end up being like... "Get a Super Loan from Fabbo Bank, it's GREAT! <followed by 30 seconds of terms, conditions, and a life story of Fabbo Bank and their financial chums>". Bastards.

I still don't understand what point Riverrock are trying to make when they insist their water is "Purer than you". Smug gits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I am surprised no one has mentioned that ad for that play Dandelions. I am so sick of it, "You cook and wash, clean and wash etc!". If I ever see that cow I will not be responsible for my actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

ANY ad with fake French accents annoy the hell out of me. Surely they could find some French actors to do the ads???

"Ah Ah Ah, ze washing up!" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

New addition! That SHOITE ad for HP Integrity servers. Anybody heard it? Its on every focking ad break during the last word. Its the ad where some scrib is being "questioned" by his boss about the best type of IT solution for their business. Pile of shoite.

"oh but there is NO other option".....Ask me bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Do bosses really address people by their surname? Terrible ad.
    I can just picture the employee stopping mid-sentence for the intel jingle :)

Another ad yesterday made me laugh out loud. Its for one of Tower Hotel Groups hotels, where they say "you can relax and get a facial, and give him a weekend to remember". Is there a screening process for these ads? :)

Sizzler wrote:
    New addition! That SHOITE ad for HP Integrity servers. Anybody heard it? Its on every focking ad break during the last word. Its the ad where some scrib is being "questioned" by his boss about the best type of IT solution for their business. Pile of shoite.

"oh but there is NO other option".....Ask me bollix.

Ah but O'mara...havent I told you to compare like with like...for example this advert and a steaming bucket of dog terd.
    Anything to do with the play Dandelions makes me want to stick knitting needles in my eyes or go out and burst gerry ryan like a balloon, maybe he would go flying around the room. Now that is what I call entertainment!

On a lighter note...any advert that offers facials makes me smile. I used to watch rugby league on Sky sports and the expert was an ex rugby league player who is built like a brick shtihouse called Stevo. He has his own unique take on the English language but one of my faves was whenever the ball carrying player was tackled by two or more opponents and had his head shoved in the dirt Stevo used to say they were giving him a facial...It always brought tears to my eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

"ooh pot noodle, ooh pot noodle,.... [Welsh accent]Fuel of the nation isn't it?" :mad: Aarrrghh!! stupid add does my head in!!

silas wrote:
    "ooh pot noodle, ooh pot noodle,.... [Welsh accent]Fuel of the nation isn't it?" :mad: Aarrrghh!! stupid add does my head in!!
    I think that it's one of the funniest the most original ads doing the rounds currently, it reminds me of some of those crazy Tango ads of the 90's.

After all, what unique selling points can you sell Pot Noodle on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That new Dandilions ad is almost as bad as the first one. Makes me switch over the radio every time it is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

"Harvey Norman Superstores.......go harvey go"

ah acant stand it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Bond-007 wrote:
    That new Dandilions ad is almost as bad as the first one. Makes me switch over the radio every time it is on.
    agrees 100%
    also the terrible NTL digital ad where the woman is bawling cause she just saw gardeners world and is traumatised, people actually pay ad agencies to put these ads on, that then obviously discourage the customer, only in f'in ireland.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Genghis

Just read through the entire thread - excellent commentary indeed.

Can I just echo some of the thoughts? Don Wycherley and his endless series of myhome.ie ads - the voice is the essence of smugness, and it just grates me anytime I here it.

On a similar note, I hate carzone ads at the minute, how someon supposedly crawled through hundreds of garages and thousands of cars, but is now invigorated having found his car on carzone. Grrrr. Just annoys me, not sure how, maybe its the 'Yippeee' he shouts.

The HP ad is hugely irritating and so un-real. 'Perhaps you know of another product, with cler roadmaps, etc.' Now I don't buy these products, but is 'clear roadmap' an actual prodcust specification (like processor speed, memory capcaity, etc). I could be wrong, but it sounds very vague to me, pure crap.

It also reminds of the very poor attempt at comedy that was Vodafones advert where the boss was looking to cut costs, and he asks round his team of witless co-workers. This leads to a classic advert tactic - by comparison to ludicrous situations (as opposed to competitor offering, real life, or anything of sense), the featured product is a clear winner.

Hence, the Vodafone offer, when compared to skateboards for stockrooms and heating the office via toaster makes sense. The killer part is that it is the bosses son who makes the suggestion.

I gotta give a good ad before I go. I like the one for MSL Volkswagon featuring a Nortsider and Southsider. It is clever in that the ad takes a potshot at both stereotypes, but in such a way that both sets of listeners come away laughing at the other, and not seeing the implied insult in the ad for them. It could have been bad if the ad managed to piss everyone off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

mikesee wrote:
    has anybody heard the new tv licence ad. this one takes it to a new low. some fellow badly acting 3 or 4 different accents and a few changes of tone and pitch thrown in.they are basically saying we are going to annoy the sh**e out of ye and we don't care. i have e-mailed them today to say that i am going to boycot rte until it is pulled.

maybe its just me!!

p.s. i also hate the phonewatch " burglers" ad

Nope, it's not just you! I can't bloody stand those stupid TV licence ads... With that gob****e trying unsuccessfully to sound like Graham Norton.. aaaaargh!

Hate all Barrys tea ads... eeeeuch!

And as for the Phonewatch ads... burgalars watching you're every move day and night.. huh?! Do they really think they can terrorise us into paranoia to the point of spending a heap on an Eircom Phonewatch system??????

I'll stick with a dog thanks! Any burgalar will tell you that's the only thing that'l put them off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Genghis

Another one that gets me at the minute is the son seeks fatherly advice one from Sage. The bit that grates me is the crappy way the ad writer tries to insert some piece of biog into the character.

"I've been financial controller for more years than I care to remember, son".

Obviously, Sage want us to think that the voice on the radio is a real person, with a real experience and a real testimony and that his word is therefore worth something. They even have a phone ringing in the background as though it were in a real busy real office.

But - reality check.

He is talking to his son. His son is struggling with the books. His son has called him for financial advice. And yet his father has to tell him that he is a financial controller 'for more years than I care to remember'.

Imagine if your Dad was a mechanic and you needed help with, I don't know, a fan belt. So you ring up your Dad, and he begins - 'Well son, I am a mechanic for many years'. You'd think - I fcking hell, why'd you think I called, Dad. And you'd probably make a mental note to mention your fathers sanity to your mother later that day.

And then the final cheerful chuckle - 'tell them I sent you'. Yeah, just like you tell the mental home, Dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

HP seem to have a be on a run at present with bad ad's

Following up from the O'Meara ad is the new one with two guys playing golf. It's to do with printers. Rubbish ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

That ad for Athletes foot stuff with a host of so fockin bad accents I nearly yank the tranny from the wall and cant her over the next roof...... What the fuggg is it all about anyway... the red mist comes down half way through??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

It's for anger management classes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I hate that ad for Pat McDonald Paints... The jingle is just so terrible. Even thinking about it is annoying!

The ads for Nescafe on Today FM are aweful too (the sleepy DJ one springs to mind...). Like that crap will perk you up in the morning!

Another particular hate of mine is ads for live comedy shows where they don't even play a soundbyte of the comedian, just some voice artist saying "[comedian's name], live at Vicar Street..." with silly music and canned laughter playing in the background...

I can't think of any ads on radio that I like.

Genghis wrote:
    "I've been financial controller for more years than I care to remember, son"
    He is talking to his son. His son is struggling with the books. His son has called him for financial advice. And yet his father has to tell him that he is a financial controller 'for more years than I care to remember'.
    I think the line is "I've been using Financial Controller for more years than I care to remember, son".

Great product, shite ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Italian Tile and Stone Terenure:
    Craziest marketing promotion ever.

MM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I think that it's one of the funniest the most original ads doing the rounds currently, it reminds me of some of those crazy Tango ads of the 90's.

After all, what unique selling points can you sell Pot Noodle on?
    Ah now those Tango adds were cool (You know when you've been tangoed :D)... I blame the Welsh accent, it does my head in

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement