Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭deisedude

Have they not updated any podcasts the last few days or is it just me? One of them seems to have turned into a History on NT podcast which I never subscribed to

Ya, i have the same issue. Are you using Podcast Addict?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭cullenswood

deisedude wrote: »

Same issue, also using Podcast Addict

• Registered Users Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

deisedude wrote: »
    Have they not updated any podcasts the last few days or is it just me? One of them seems to have turned into a History on NT podcast which I never subscribed to

Podcast Republic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Yeah their Highlights podcast feed has gone crazy the past few days and somehow morphed into Talking History.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

They've a new website as well.

Think what you're experiencing are part of the teething problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

More 'banter' and in jokes now. Do these guys really think they are hilarious or something,? Christ it's cringeworthy and a bit weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The OTB podcast feeds tend to go loopy once or twice a year I find. You go away for a bit and suddenly every single podcast has been downloaded all over again. Fairly annoying as it means lot of deleting. I listen to a lot of podcasts and OTB are by far the worst for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

Unlistenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Unlistenable.

What now? I’m nearly two months out of the game and I take it there’s been no improvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    What now? I’m nearly two months out of the game and I take it there’s been no improvement?

yeah I'm still gone as well. Full time to books and podcasts, and I have to say it does help improve your mood. No more ads and virtue signalling, no listening to Kevin Kilbane telling us how harmful what Declan Rice did was while at the same time promoting gambling to young men.

Ahhhhhhhh, it's like a breath of fresh air.

• Advertisement

yeah I'm still gone as well. Full time to books and podcasts, and I have to say it does help improve your mood. No more ads and virtue signalling, no listening to Kevin Kilbane telling us how harmful what Declan Rice did was while at the same time promoting gambling to young men.

Ahhhhhhhh, it's like a breath of fresh air.

How long before we'll have "no more posting in threads about a show I don't listen to" as proof you have achieved a zen level of serenity. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I enjoyed Stewie Byrne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I enjoyed Stewie Byrne.

Only caught a few minutes on the way home but yeah, I enjoyed what I heard. The clip from they the won the league was a bit nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Donaghy has a job with the Galway hurlers now. Finger in all the pies. Some fool that time he was claiming he was giving up work to focus on football. He knew all along he had jobs lined up.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/kerry-captain-kieran-donaghy-packs-in-job-to-concentrate-on-football-31217940.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Donaghy has a job with the Galway hurlers now. Finger in all the pies. Some fool that time he was claiming he was giving up work to focus on football. He knew all along he had jobs lined up.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/kerry-captain-kieran-donaghy-packs-in-job-to-concentrate-on-football-31217940.html
    that was nearly 4 years ago. :confused:

and in the articles it says "The 31-year-old has no plans to re-enter the work force until later this year or early 2016".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭hawley

OTB seems to be a lot more tabloid radio than when the previous team were in place. Stuff like having a go at Declan Rice, insulting the English rugby team before the last 6 Nations game and constant focus on betting is really lowest common denominator radio. There's a lack of incisive analysis on the programme when compared some of the podcasts out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

hawley wrote:
    OTB seems to be a lot more tabloid radio than when the previous team were in place. Stuff like having a go at Declan Rice, insulting the English rugby team before the last 6 Nations game and constant focus on betting is really lowest common denominator radio. There's a lack of incisive analysis on the programme when compared some of the podcasts out there.

I'd argue that a lot of media channels have gone/are going down this route. The likes of Joe.ie and The Journal.ie have set a very low bar for "journalism" and others are following suit. I suppose it's got something to do with the fast pace of society, instant news cycle, and people not wanting to invest the time to fully read/understand a story.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

OTB have increased their content by a big factor with OTB am.

They still do their more incisive content but also a but of just chatting rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Ahwell

hawley wrote: »
    OTB seems to be a lot more tabloid radio than when the previous team were in place. Stuff like having a go at Declan Rice, insulting the English rugby team before the last 6 Nations game

You obviously never encountered Ken Burley then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,126 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

hawley wrote: »

Would agree, it's not a patch on Game On, which I find a lot more professional for want of a better word.

OTB seems to be getting very laddish, bantz, etc. It reminds me of Talk Sport in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Would agree, it's not a patch on Game On, which I find a lot more professional for want of a better word.

OTB seems to be getting very laddish, bantz, etc. It reminds me of Talk Sport in the UK.

Where and when is Game On on? Cheers

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Where and when is Game On on? Cheers

2fm. 7pm week nights. 1 hour show (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Ahwell

There is nothing laddish about the current line up and OTB has over twice as many listeners as Game On. The current OTB is far from perfect, but it is better than Game On.

How long before we'll have "no more posting in threads about a show I don't listen to" as proof you have achieved a zen level of serenity. :pac:

I thought that was what my post actually was. I'll be clearer the next time.

Seriously though, the entertainment value of the radio in 2019 is so much less than it used to be 5 or 10 years ago. I can honestly say that there is not one show that I find that I must turn on the radio for any more.

Remember the Friday shows with George Hook, Dave McIntyre and Shane Coleman. they were good.

*Sits back in rocking chair and takes drag from pipe*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

If no-one listens to OTB does it still make a sound? :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

If no-one listens to OTB does it still make a sound? :D

A tree fell in a forest

Ahwell wrote: »
    There is nothing laddish about the current line up and OTB has over twice as many listeners as Game On. The current OTB is far from perfect, but it is better than Game On.

Well, that's just like.. your opinion man!

Well, that's just like.. your opinion man!

And that of the IMRO Radio Awards judges it seems.

And that of the IMRO Radio Awards judges it seems.

Ha!

Those folk also gave Muireann O'Connell a gold award.

I rest my case.

• Advertisement

OTB seems to be getting very laddish, bantz, etc.

Don't sound like any of the lads that I know:
    - they talk about women's sports.
    - they don't curse.
    - they have all subscribed to the charter of liberal views that are a pre-requisite for all NT staff.
    - they are afraid to mention if a female sports star is hot, but have no problem saying that a male sports star is hot.
    - they are more interested in the social justice element of sports, than the actual sports themselves.

It seems to me the only thing that they have in common with the lads that I know would be:
    - they are very supportive of the betting industry.
    - their boss is a completely self indulgent, pain in the h0le.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement