Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adblue is generating crazy volumes of plastic waste

Options
  • 17-02-2019 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭

My work state owned vehicle is relatively new a 2.2 litre diesel Ford Ranger.

It uses an additive called adblue and this is purchased at all filling stations and comes in 1.5 litre heavy duty plastic bottles or in large plastic 10 litre drums.

I think mine is using one 1.5 litre bottle with every 2nd fill of diesel.

I was just thinking is is generating an unthinkable volume of plastic waste associated with all modern diesel vehicles.

How the hell is this allowed. I even noticed the bins in garages are full of the plastic bottles mixed with regular waste no means of recycling.

I'm going to make a complaint to Circle K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If you're having to top it up every second tank of diesel, I expect there is a bigger problem with your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

You may complain to the European body responsible for introducing this stuff. What have Circle K got to do with it?

Sure there's car makers now refusing to supply diesel engines into Europe because of the legislation and you want to blame your local filling station?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

IrishHomer wrote: »

What's it got to do with CircleK?
    Your car burns a hell of a lot more adblue than it should, but instead of going to Ford, or the work mechanics to get it fixed you wanna complain to a petrol station?
    Makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭Damien360

alias no.9 wrote: »
    If you're having to top it up every second tank of diesel, I expect there is a bigger problem with your car.

My Superb uses about a litre per thousand kilometers which is about a litre adblue per 65 litres of fuel. A couple of collegues use the as the same rate. So OP's use is probably not out of line with normal use. From reading the blurb, it's use varies with driving style, i.e. motorway or town use. More town use and the adblue gets added more.

I bought a 20L container in a motor factors. Anything bigger would just be too difficult to handle when filling adblue to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭ted1

.red. wrote: »
    Your car burns a hell of a lot more adblue than it should, but instead of going to Ford, or the work mechanics to get it fixed you wanna complain to a petrol station?
    Makes sense!

The way they sell it. The could dispense it with a pump on a pet pay litre. They could sell it in glass bottles. They could use reuse the bottle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Damien360 wrote: »
    My Superb uses about a litre per thousand kilometers which is about a litre adblue per 65 litres of fuel. A couple of collegues use the as the same rate. So OP's use is probably not out of line with normal use. From reading the blurb, it's use varies with driving style, i.e. motorway or town use. More town use and the adblue gets added more.

I bought a 20L container in a motor factors. Anything bigger would just be too difficult to handle when filling adblue to the car.

When this stuff was being introduced as a solution to exhaust particulate, it was supposed to be a very infrequent top up. Looks like another case of being oversold and under delivering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

pablo128 wrote: »
    You may complain to the European body responsible for introducing this stuff. What have Circle K got to do with it?

Sure there's car makers now refusing to supply diesel engines into Europe because of the legislation and you want to blame your local filling station?

Circle K have no recycling bin!

.red. wrote: »
    Makes sense!

All fuel stations should have recycle bins for all the plastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Circle K have no recycling bin!

Bring the container home and put it in your green recycling bin!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

There are a lot of places that do it by the pump now. One I use regularly is the Maxol garage on the M3 into Dublin at Mulhuddart. Might be worth checking your local area to see if there is a pump available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ted1 wrote: »
    . They could use reuse the bottle

Or ,and I know this is an alien concept to a lot of people, the ones buying it could recycle the bottles instead of dumping them in the bin.

If you buy a drink in the shop and wall off down the street, do you just lob the bottle on the ground if theres no bin and blame the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dubbrin

I've seen 1000L IBC's of the stuff, but might be too much hassle for ordinary Sam though

Worth kicking up over all the same, it's happening away under the radar

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

All fuel stations should have recycle bins for all the plastic

Sure my local has no bin at all, never mind a recycling one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

It'd be much less environmentally unfriendly if the adblue containers were reused by the adblue manufacturers rather than melted down by a recycling company.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It'd be much less environmentally unfriendly if the adblue containers were reused by the adblue manufacturers rather than melted down by a recycling company.

You can say that about pretty much every plastic and glass bottle in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Is this product similar to dipetane? Is it really even necessary if correct regular maintenance is carried out? Why put it in even if not coming up to a test? On a continual basis Is it any benefit?

1874 wrote: »
    Is this product similar to dipetane? Is it really even necessary if correct regular maintenance is carried out? Why put it in even if not coming up to a test? On a continual basis Is it any benefit?

If I let mine run low I get a warning message and light on the dash.

My ford ranger is a big heavy jeep it does approximately 700km to a tank and every two fills it uses a full bottle of adblue.

Adblue is supposed to reduce harmful emissions and is on most new diesels I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,720 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Best form of recycling plastic is to burn it on the site it's generated. Plastic is but oil, should be incinerated on site efficiently and used to generate hot water and heating for the building.

Most plastics now go for burning in Ireland, waste to energy. Very little value in it now, best to burn it. Why is can't be done on site though is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Its you whose throwing the plastic into general waste bin. Either bring it home or ask at the counter if they can dispose of it for you.

What's the point of a shop having both bin types? Some people are going to ignore the signs on bins and contaminate the recycling bins anyways, leaving the shop having to pay a fine if noticed by their contacted refuse collection company.

Edit: I have also heard of places having a pump much like a normal diesel or petrol pump that dispense ad blue. Although I haven't seen one personally in my part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,386 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It uses an additive called adblue and this is purchased at all filling stations and comes in 1.5 litre heavy duty plastic bottles or in large plastic 10 litre drums.

I was just thinking is is generating an unthinkable volume of plastic waste associated with all modern diesel vehicles.

How the hell is this allowed. I even noticed the bins in garages are full of the plastic bottles mixed with regular waste no means of recycling.

Could you not buy the 10l drum and pour 1.5l into the smaller bottle?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

1874 wrote: »

It's not a diesel additive, it's used in modern diesel engines to reduce emissions and has a separate tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I've a 1.5D auto 5008 just shy of 10k kms and I've not had to refill the adblue yet. I will just fill out at a station when I need to top up.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    My local circle k sell adblu at the pump where the lorries fill up, it’s 90 cent a litre this way and no mess or plastic waste
    It costs me about €5 every 6 months so op I suggest you get the car looked at and find a garage with a pump if your that concerned about the plastic waste

I have to use Cirkle K I have a fuel card for them

I will call my local Ford dealer in the morning and query the high adblue consumption

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Bottles sold at stations are only Kent a an emergency top up to keep in the boot anyways. Cars will refused to start if it completely runs out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

I think the problem is your own. Why not buy larger drums of it? Surely it's cheaper?

Looking online, a 4l bottle is a tenner and 10l it 15.

Surely it's better to buy in bulk?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op how much are you putting in and how much miles you are doing is going to be the answer to having to add it in.

It's basically pigs pee.

Be very careful not to get in contact with it or body parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The impact of manufacturing a plastic bottle is tiny (250g CO2 maybe) compared to burning 100 litres of diesel (in the order of 250kg of CO2).

They certainly look untidy and take up a lot of space but in the grand scheme of automotive emissions the impact is a very small amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get a little pump to fit onto the container and away you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

It's not a diesel additive, it's used in modern diesel engines to reduce emissions and has a separate tank.

I was going to ask is there a separate reservoir for it, if it's on most/all modern diesels then there has to be something to be said for it not coming in small quantities regarding plastic waste, of all else I've heard this must herald the beginning of the end for diesels at least in private use, if they require additives to keep emissions down. Ithought I'd heard of something else that assisted in cleaning out egrs other than driving them hard, I'll drive my own on, thankfully there's none of this stuff in it.

Advertisement