Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GBBO 2019: Great British bake off

Options
  • 27-08-2019 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭

Starts tonight on Channel 4. Hurrah!!
    90 minute episode to get us started.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

90 minutes? Oh, my husband will be whinging! :D
    Really looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

90mins will mean 20-30mins of ad breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Anyone watching?
    Some good bakers in there and some you know will be gone in the first few weeks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

Anyone watching?
    Some good bakers in there and some you know will be gone in the first few weeks.

Was a bit surprised at who got sent home first tbh. Figured the young lad was gone for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Gonna watch this myself this season. Is it every Tuesday 8pm? Any other episodes or just one a week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

fitz wrote: »
    Was a bit surprised at who got sent home first tbh. Figured the young lad was gone for sure.

Nah, figured after the first challenge that they’d be gone.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Gonna watch this myself this season. Is it every Tuesday 8pm? Any other episodes or just one a week?

Once a week 8pm on Channel four. Their Twitter can be funny too.

Well now. That wasn't a big surprise now, was it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

Well now. That wasn't a big surprise now, was it?

No loss. Witch lady to go next I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,825 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Oh i like witch lady! And I think she's good, apart from the slight lapse of judgement in serving up actual fingers as biscuit bars - I have to say I was with Prue on those!

The Welsh rugby-loving sheep farmer (Michelle?) is very much the one to beat for now - I wonder what her Achilles heel is???

The young-fella was a PITA, glad to see him gone - did he get anything at all right in the time he was there??

The gay fella is a pure replica of the gay fella last year (can't remember either name), it's like deja vu all over again!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I like the witch lady, I hope she sticks around for a while. She brings a bit of originality to the tent! And is getting me in the mood for Halloween :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

What a lovely guy Jamie is. He didn’t deserve to stay last night, but he obviously can bake if he made it there in the first place and I hope all the positive reaction he’s been getting online opens up opportunities for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I thought she was gone this week with those fig splats.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It was the week of bumbling blonds losing important votes, which probably did for Jamie :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

What a lovely guy Jamie is. He didn’t deserve to stay last night, but he obviously can bake if he made it there in the first place and I hope all the positive reaction he’s been getting online opens up opportunities for him.

I thought he was a complete dope. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I thought he was a complete dope. :pac:

Ah he was nice but not a great baker. I'm becoming more sceptical about this show. It looks like some bakers make it to the first programme in order to be sent home first time, and to make it easy for the judges to decide who goes. Thousands apply but I wouldn't have chosen Dan out of thousands to be on the programme. I've said it before, nobody should go in the first week.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Ah he was nice but not a great baker. I'm becoming more sceptical about this show. It looks like some bakers make it to the first programme in order to be sent home first time, and to make it easy for the judges to decide who goes. Thousands apply but I wouldn't have chosen Dan out of thousands to be on the programme. I've said it before, nobody should go in the first week.

I do wonder how much of a role editing plays in this. Granted, from what we saw he wasn't a great baker, but I wouldn't underestimate how much of a factors nerves would be. Baking under camera scrutiny, knowing you'll be judged on screen (and by the whole nation), it's bound to have an effect on some.

And I always feel a bit suspicious when the narrative of the episode tries to tell you from the start that someone is a bit dopey, and a bit weird and a bit clumsy...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Editing is critical to making any show like this. Work in TV, radio or even journalism for any length of time and you see that the end narrative drives the edit.

If you showed all the competent bits of someones work and they were the one booted out people would complain - so you need to make it "clear" that they were the obvious choice to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

I agree on that.

And yeah, whilst the contestants are not going to be the literal best amateur bakers in the country, they should be in the top percentile, ability-wise. This year, many contestants seem to have large gaps in their knowledge. I’m sceptical too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I would guess, that being the tenth version of this, the interest in applying will have dropped off a bit?
    Especially from people who were maybe rejected from previous years.

I'd like to see a come-back round, where they brought in someone who might have been hard done by in a previous year....

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    I would guess, that being the tenth version of this, the interest in applying will have dropped off a bit?
    Especially from people who were maybe rejected from previous years.

I'd like to see a come-back round, where they brought in someone who might have been hard done by in a previous year....

Didn't Masterchef use to do this? I seem to recall a "special" series where they had all previous contestants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I haven't watched this season at all yet - is it continuing down the track of making the challenges all about the spectacle and not things anyone would ever make at home? Like biscuit chandeliers and the like. I think someone in the bakes thread made the angel cake technical and said it was a tremendous faff and not worth the effort.

I find that sort of thing very off-putting, I rewatched the first season and seeing ordinary people struggling to produce a plain fruit cake because 'its a weird oven and there are cameras everywhere and oh god I'm on the telly' but still manage a decent cake is much more charming than someone whose clearly been training obsessively to be on the Bake Off for the last 5 years - non-professionals who just happen to know how to make 15 different types of meringue and are disappointed because their 7 layer cake incorporating every known type of sponge is 2 degrees off being level just lack that kind of charm to me*. I remember in the early years, Mary Berry used to emphasise that these were home-bakers, baking for friends and family but I think that idea has mostly been abandoned.

*apart from Kim Joy because her designs are just lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭nompere

B0jangles wrote: »

*apart from Kim Joy because her designs are just lovely

Are you aware of all Kim Joy's recipes in the Guardian?

Here's a link, just in case.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/series/kim-joys-baking-recipes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

nompere wrote: »
    Are you aware of all Kim Joy's recipes in the Guardian?

Here's a link, just in case.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/series/kim-joys-baking-recipes

I have only seen one or two, so thank you for the link to all of them :) I like the way her guardian recipes mostly seem to be fairly simple to do, but with little tweaks to make them really special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

B0jangles wrote: »
    ......I find that sort of thing very off-putting, I rewatched the first season and seeing ordinary people struggling to produce a plain fruit cake because 'its a weird oven and there are cameras everywhere and oh god I'm on the telly' but still manage a decent cake is much more charming than someone whose clearly been training obsessively to be on the Bake Off for the last 5 years - non-professionals who just happen to know how to make 15 different types of meringue and are disappointed because their 7 layer cake incorporating every known type of sponge is 2 degrees off being level just lack that kind of charm to me*. I remember in the early years, Mary Berry used to emphasise that these were home-bakers, baking for friends and family but I think that idea has mostly been abandoned.........

I don't believe Channel 4 is much into 'charming' unfortunately. :( They took a perfectly good series and turned it into 'Come Dine With Me'! Grrrrrr!

What the heck did I just watch? How did that person go? There were signatures and technicals that were far far worse than that

He has been coasting along under the radar for a while though. He's never done anything particularly outstanding/memorable. His bakes are generally rough and underwhelming, with the occassional, "oh actually that does taste nice" thrown in.

The others who were at the bottom have stood out at other stages of the competition and just had a bad week/challenge. Overall they seem to have more potential than him.

I was really disappointed that we didn't get a decent look at the ghost cake before they cut it up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Jesus I don't know, that last one he did was brutal. The dirty garden gnome, on a plate of brown crumbs... with playdough looking sweets? It was fairly manky.

I have to say I thought the guys telling the indian lady that she had her flavouring in the indian sweets wrong was a bit iffy. Of all them, surely she knows what they should taste like?

And while the cheesecake based cake split on the first round for the other guy, and it looked a complete mess, they did say it tasted excellent, so he possibly came out of that with more points. They do seem to weight higher on how it tastes rather than how it looks

@woodchuck : meant to be only on that week though
    There were some atrocities baking wise this week. He was overall underwhelming maybe but not really bad in one and ok in the other

• Advertisement

@woodchuck : meant to be only on that week though

Is that how they judge it though? I'm sure it starts off that way, but there will always be situations where you need to look at the overall picture. If they got rid of otherwise fantastic bakers every time they had a bad week, we'd end up with very mediocre bakers in the finale.

Advertisement