Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GBBO 2019: Great British bake off

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

woodchuck wrote: »
    Is that how they judge it though? I'm sure it starts off that way, but there will always be situations where you need to look at the overall picture. If they got rid of otherwise fantastic bakers every time they had a bad week, we'd end up with very mediocre bakers in the finale.

No, they’ve always been very clear that it’s judged on a week by week basis, as anyone who has watched GBBO for a long time knows. Dan went last year after having a nightmare of a weekend despite easily being one of the strongest contestants. Nadiya came very close to leaving early on in her series. They can be quite ruthless.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm awful with names but there was a very very clear case of saving someone who had had an unexpected shocker in the C4 era. I'll check if my partner can remember who.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

woodchuck wrote: »
    He has been coasting along under the radar for a while though. He's never done anything particularly outstanding/memorable. His bakes are generally rough and underwhelming, with the occassional, "oh actually that does taste nice" thrown in.

The others who were at the bottom have stood out at other stages of the competition and just had a bad week/challenge. Overall they seem to have more potential than him.

I was really disappointed that we didn't get a decent look at the ghost cake before they cut it up!!

Agreed. I've expected him to go for a while, he's only been saved because someone else has had a total disaster while he's been consistently meh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm awful with names but there was a very very clear case of saving someone who had had an unexpected shocker in the C4 era. I'll check if my partner can remember who.

Rahul, the eventual winner, did surprisingly poorly in the quarter and semi finals after being the prohibitive favourite since about week 3. He probably shouldn't have made the final.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Rahul, the eventual winner, did surprisingly poorly in the quarter and semi finals after being the prohibitive favourite since about week 3. He probably shouldn't have made the final.

That's probably what I'm remembering.

I sort-of watch some of the episodes. He watches them intently.

Neither of us bake and I do 99% of the cooking :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement