Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Works in Letterkenny

Options
  • 28-05-2019 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure anyone who has been anywhere near the town over the last few weeks is aware of the utter chaos the road works in 3 different locations in the town is causing each day.

I cant understand why it was not contractually insisted that the works were carried out at night. Its only dark for 6 hours at night and so there is plenty of daylight for worker in that time.

When similar works were carried out on the High Road earlier this year, it was all done at night so why isn't the current work being done at night?

The town during business hours is completely gridlocked in all directions, businesses are suffering and then at weekends when there is no work, the town is deserted as people are sick to death of the problems during the week and are deserting the town. I drove around last Saturday afternoon and it was like a bank holiday, next to nothing on the roads and the car parks at shopping centres largely empty.

Most if not all of the companies carrying out the work are from NI/UK where similar work has to be done at night to cause as little disruption as possible, why isn't that something we insist on here?????

I have taken to going to Ballybofey to do weekly shopping as the thought of having to go anywhere near Letterkenny unless absolutely necessary just isn't worth it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I was in the town a couple of times over the last week and even though it late morning on both occasion the traffic was terrible. Thankfully I wasnt driving earlier in the morning or later in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

The Pearse Road works are an absolute mess, was down there over the weekend and traffic was backed up all the way to the roundabout by the Radisson. Haven't been near Port/Ramelton Roads but hear them mentioned on national traffic reports every evening so assume its even worse around there

And the Circular Road works seem to have ground to a halt over the past month as well, they hit solid rock and seem to be making next to no progress so expect that to overrun by quite a bit :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

I can understand the night work not being done in Glencar due to the houses around but there's no excuses for the rest of the roads not being done at night. It was an hour for the traffic to get from the Clanree to the Polestar one evening last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Anyone know what it's like around 8am I have to travel through the town and on to Dublin around that time tomorrow morning just wondering will I need to give myself extra time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

cosanostra wrote: »
    Anyone know what it's like around 8am I have to travel through the town and on to Dublin around that time tomorrow morning just wondering will I need to give myself extra time

It’s fine at 8am and you’ll have no problems, between 8:30 and 9am is when it starts to clog but only coming into town from Derry/Ballybofey side and partially from Ramelton direction but all other routes are fairly free moving at that time

• Advertisement

Pretty much every road in the town gridlocked again this evening, at least the schools will be finished up in a few weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Nats9314

It's a shambles....an hour to get from just past arena 7 to the old town....fun times

Nats9314 wrote: »
    It's a shambles....an hour to get from just past arena 7 to the old town....fun times
    Thats madness. Doesnt affect me but if it did Id be contacting the crowd that were running around for the last few weeks knocking on peoples doors looking for everyone to help them by way of a vote. Payback time.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tigerpants

muffler wrote: »
    Thats madness. Doesnt affect me but if it did Id be contacting the crowd that were running around for the last few weeks knocking on peoples doors looking for everyone to help them by way of a vote. Payback time.

Where is Donal Coyle's bridge? During his campaign it sounded like DHL were delivering it in soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭malinheader

Just a word from the other side. From experience the lads working on the roads would prefer for the work to be carried out at night, less abuse and easier to get the work done. Somehow this does not seem sensible to the powers that be,maybe it's a money thing or just a don't care thing. Another thing that should be definitely implemented is no work to be carried out before 9.30 and after 4 PM.but sadly they don't seem to care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭henke

It's a complete farce really. Also, these roads should be properly resurfaced when these jobs are finished. The roads are just been patched up as they go. For the main town in the County it's a bad situation.

Just a word from the other side. From experience the lads working on the roads would prefer for the work to be carried out at night, less abuse and easier to get the work done. Somehow this does not seem sensible to the powers that be,maybe it's a money thing or just a don't care thing. Another thing that should be definitely implemented is no work to be carried out before 9.30 and after 4 PM.but sadly they don't seem to care.

I understand that and in no way are blaming the contractors or workers for this mess, this is 100% the fault of Irish Water/Donegal CoCo and it probably does boil down to cost (as everything does in public contracts) but they are doing real harm to the town as a result of it.
    Tigerpants wrote: »
    Where is Donal Coyle's bridge? During his campaign it sounded like DHL were delivering it in soon

Donal Coyle ran on the anti-TenT project ticket and if he is successful and has the project shelved then he can kiss goodbye to ever getting funding to build a bridge and relief road over the swilly as it wont happen in his lifetime. He should think carefully on what he wants as he could go from hero to villain very quickly however as he appears to the be the only councillor that is against it, then I doubt very much if he can convince all the rest of them to vote against it with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Should anyone be in LK today, the traffic lights on the main street are dead and have been since this AM.

Maldesu wrote: »
    Should anyone be in LK today, the traffic lights on the main street are dead and have been since this AM.
    I drove down the High Road on to Upper Main Street around 11:30 this morning and the lights are indeed out of order at the junction. I had a few minutes of a wait before I got to the lights and then some nice woman let me out into the flow of traffic so no real hold ups as such.

I left Stranorlar around 10:30, went up to the hospital via Ballyraine, down to the shopping centre, back up to the hospital, down the High Road to the Courtyard, out on to Pearse Road and then over to the Polestar roundabout and there was no real traffic problems.

In saying all that Im assuming it was probably mad an hour or 2 earlier and will probably be worse from now (4 PM) until 6 or later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Lights are fix again fyi

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

henke wrote: »
    It's a complete farce really. Also, these roads should be properly resurfaced when these jobs are finished. The roads are just been patched up as they go. For the main town in the County it's a bad situation.

The road from Glencar down to the hospital is a patchwork quilt of different surfaces joined by scar tissue. I hope there's a proper resurfacing job at the end of it all

The road from Glencar down to the hospital is a patchwork quilt of different surfaces joined by scar tissue. I hope there's a proper resurfacing job at the end of it all

I’m guessing they won’t. They done the same type work on the High Rd and New Line road and simply tarred the patch they dug up so they’re similar to circular road however the High Rd is actually better than it was as it was an absolute disgrace before the work started.

to the hospital is a patchwork quilt of different surfaces joined by scar tissue.
    I see what you done there ;)

henke wrote: »

That seems to be the case anywhere pipes are laid. It's not too bad whwn the surface is left reasonably level - it's when there's a sudden dip, that you can't see until it's too late to react! Not good for the poor car -it's a bonus for the mechanics, though!

The job they've done on Circular Road between the hospital and Simpsons is awful, there's one manhole in particular that must be a good 50mm below the finish road level and they've just sloped the tarmac down into it instead of raising the manhole cover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

If the work was to be carried out at nighttime it would make no difference to the traffic situation.

The excavations would be open when they are not working meaning the same traffic restrictions would be in place day or night.

Its a nightmare situation, spare a though too for the businesses along that stretch of road. I'm aware that Charlies Cafe had to close a few days early due to them cutting off the water supply with no notice.

IP freely wrote: »
    If the work was to be carried out at nighttime it would make no difference to the traffic situation.

The excavations would be open when they are not working meaning the same traffic restrictions would be in place day or night.

Its a nightmare situation, spare a though too for the businesses along that stretch of road. I'm aware that Charlies Cafe had to close a few days early due to them cutting off the water supply with no notice.

No, apparently not as what they did on the High road was they worked in short sections each night, at 7pm they closed a short section of the road and dug the trench, laid the pipe, refilled the trench and tarred over the top and had the road open to traffic by 7am the following morning.

No, apparently not as what they did on the High road was they worked in short sections each night, at 7pm they closed a short section of the road and dug the trench, laid the pipe, refilled the trench and tarred over the top and had the road open to traffic by 7am the following morning.

What they done on high road was replaced pipes, what they are doing on Pearse road and circular road is installing new pipes. Completely different jobs and its not feasible to cover over every night.

Have you seen the size of what looked like steel girders being driven into the ground on pearse road, they were huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

We're loving the work Irish Water are doing on Pearse Road, we can finally walk across the road safely.

What are the chances of a footpath or maybe a pedestrian crossing?
    Nil? Probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

/\/ollog wrote: »
    We're loving the work Irish Water are doing on Pearse Road, we can finally walk across the road safely.

What are the chances of a footpath or maybe a pedestrian crossing?
    Nil? Probably.

There is a pedestrian crossing on that road by Charlies Cafe .. ?

salonfire wrote: »
    There is a pedestrian crossing on that road by Charlies Cafe .. ?

Unfortunately that's along a road without a footpath with cars parked on the side of the road, at the other side of where people live.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭JoannieG

Unfortunately that's along a road without a footpath with cars parked on the side of the road, at the other side of where people live.

There are pedestrian lights at the junctions of Pearse Rd/Oliver Plunkett and Pearse Rd/Rosemount with footpaths on both sides of the road.

Not sure your thinking on the same place. There is very little parking anywhere on Pearse Road except for opposite the community centre and in front of the Station house hotel.

There are footpaths on both sides of the pearse road from the Station House Hotel as far as the Station roundabout.

There is a pedestrian crossing at the bottom of Oliver Plunkett to take you over to Charlie’s Cafe/EBS etc

Not sure your thinking on the same place. There is very little parking anywhere on Pearse Road except for opposite the community centre and in front of the Station house hotel.

There are footpaths on both sides of the pearse road from the Station House Hotel as far as the Station roundabout.

There is a pedestrian crossing at the bottom of Oliver Plunkett to take you over to Charlie’s Cafe/EBS etc
    Getting a bit off track here, but there no footpath on the "town side" of the road for quite a bit. From the auto factors until you pass the units that Gary Cooney owns with lots of traffic movements in and out of the premises.

• Advertisement

IP freely wrote: »
    Getting a bit off track here, but there no footpath on the "town side" of the road for quite a bit. From the auto factors until you pass the units that Gary Cooney owns with lots of traffic movements in and out of the premises.

And two car wide parking on the station house "footpath".

Advertisement