Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'm a bit lost at the negativity towards the Rainbow Cup from a pure rugby point of view.
    This season's league has been terrible, the provinces have been coasting it. I'll be happy to see the back of it by the end of March.

It would mean having to play out the full Pro14 fixture list such as Munster coming to Dublin.

As we've discussed at great lengths, training matches like these don't benefit the Leinster fringe players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'm a bit lost at the negativity towards the Rainbow Cup from a pure rugby point of view.
    This season's league has been terrible, the provinces have been coasting it. I'll be happy to see the back of it by the end of March.

Would be much more interesting if there was something to play for in the league for anyone other than leinster/Munster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Would be much more interesting if there was something to play for in the league for anyone other than leinster/Munster

Well there is Europe qualification I guess!

I was more reflecting on the standard of opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Frank Murphy is on the whistle for Ulster vs. Leinster on Saturday.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bayern wrote: »
    Frank Murphy is on the whistle for Ulster vs. Leinster on Saturday.

jaysus.
    i thought he was quite poor last sunday.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    jaysus.
    i thought he was quite poor last sunday.

he is a poor ref.

he is a poor ref.

i wouldnt say in general hes poor though.

id been impressed with him when he originally come onto the scene.
    i felt last sunday though there was a lot of skullduggery around the maul that he hadnt a handle on at all, and his offside calls werent consistent.

a good ref for me will call the same offense in the 80th minute that they do in the 1st.

Looks like Ross may have picked up a knock they haven't announced, wrapping on ankle and working with Senior Injury and Rehabilitation Coach Diarmaid Brennan:

1982236.jpg

Ireland and Leinster loosehead prop Cian Healy has signed a 1 year extension to his IRFU contract up to the end of the 2021/22 season.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2021/03/05/cian-healy-signs-irfu-contract-extension/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,410 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ireland and Leinster loosehead prop Cian Healy has signed a 1 year extension to his IRFU contract up to the end of the 2021/22 season.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2021/03/05/cian-healy-signs-irfu-contract-extension/

For gods sake could they not have announced this yesterday. Now we have to have the same argument with everyone swapping sides.

• Advertisement

Leinster's loosehead prop depth chart next season:

Cian Healy(33/Belvedere/Clontarf)
    Ed Byrne(28/Clongowes/UCD)
    Peter Dooley(27/Birr RFC/Lansdowne)
    Michael Milne(22/Birr RFC-Roscrea/UCD)

Marcus Hanan(21/Clane RFC/Old Belvedere) - Academy Yr 2
    Jack Boyle(19/St. Michaels/UCD) - Academy Yr 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Serbian

salmocab wrote: »
    For gods sake could they not have announced this yesterday. Now we have to have the same argument with everyone swapping sides.

hah yeah, was thinking the same.

I think rationally it's sensible and hard to argue against it — there isn't much depth below Healy and Kilcoyne right now, and the deal is only for 12 months. Eric O'Sullivan and Ed Byrne are the next two right now but are a step down. After that, there's no-one obviously ready to step in over the next 12 months. Maybe Dooley? Josh Wycherly? I think it would be hard to make a case for anyone else right now.

I know there's talk of moving Porter back to #1, but I think you end up with the same problem on the other side in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Leinster's loosehead prop depth chart next season:

Cian Healy(33/Belvedere/Clontarf)
    Ed Byrne(28/Clongowes/UCD)
    Peter Dooley(27/Birr RFC/Lansdowne)
    Michael Milne(22/Birr RFC-Roscrea/UCD)

Marcus Hanan(21/Clane RFC/Old Belvedere) - Academy Yr 2
    Jack Boyle(19/St. Michaels/UCD) - Academy Yr 1

Is Hanan officially year 1 at the moment? I know he didn't start the year in the academy and I know people have been promoted mid way through.

Just wondering what the implication is for the start of next season or indeed his 3 year tenure

Is Hanan officially year 1 at the moment? I know he didn't start the year in the academy and I know people have been promoted mid way through.

Just wondering what the implication is for the start of next season or indeed his 3 year tenure

Yeah he and Osborne are year 1 academy players.

Similar to Cormac Foley, who joined mid way through last season and moved to year 2 this season. Hanan and Osborne will be Year 2 academy players next season.

Yeah he and Osborne are year 1 academy players.

Similar to Cormac Foley, who joined mid way through last season and moved to year 2 this season. Hanan and Osborne will be Year 2 academy players next season.

Good to know cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,223 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I see Coetzee is back for Ulster.

Hopefully it's the disinterested version we saw in the Pro 14 final.

EvtccpbXEAI1g_5?format=jpg&name=small

Leinster shade it in the forwards, but Ulster's backline is ridiculously strong. Of we come out of this game with a losing bonus point I'd say we've done well.

Harsh for Dooley to get the chop.

Surprised but glad for him that Penny hung on to the 8 shirt. Let's see how well he deals with Coetzee.

Jimmy covering 10 does not fill me with a huge amount of confidence but we have some amount of beef in the pack to keep it tight

• Advertisement

Leinster literally running out of backs..

Amazingly Leinster are still favorites for this. Bookies have us at -6 handicap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

JOB covering 10. Because that went so well against Connacht...

This should be an Ulster win, but then we've proven stubborn feckers in games where I thought we'd be beaten. Should make for an interesting game. We can afford to lose but hopefully we can take something from the game. Would be good to follow up the challenge from Glasgow with a challenge from Ulster so that we can at least get ourselves some really competitive game time. It's been too easy for too long.

molloyjh wrote: »

This should be an Ulster win, but then we've proven stubborn feckers in games where I thought we'd be beaten. Should make for an interesting game. We can afford to lose but hopefully we can take something from the game. Would be good to follow up the challenge from Glasgow with a challenge from Ulster so that we can at least get ourselves some really competitive game time. It's been too easy for too long.

There are no other healthy 10s available.

There are no other healthy 10s available.

Hawkshaw?

Hopefully we learned from some of the mistakes against Connacht.

Clear game plan to keep it tight if we need to use him there hence no Hawkshaw on the bench

• Advertisement

Hopefully we learned from some of the mistakes against Connacht.

Clear game plan to keep it tight if we need to use him there hence no Hawkshaw on the bench

Hawkshaw is injured.

Amazingly Leinster are still favorites for this. Bookies have us at -6 handicap too.

Ah jaysus

How the hell did the odds widen after those teams were named ??

i can see ulster winning this by about 7

Hawkshaw?

Injured.

Hawkshaw is injured.

Jesus.

There is an outside bet at this rate that Tim Corkery will need to be in the squad for Zebre

Jesus.

There is an outside bet at this rate that Tim Corkery will need to be in the squad for Zebre

Probably part of the squad traveling to Belfast.

• Advertisement

Probably part of the squad traveling to Belfast.

Interesting point yeah.

I also wonder what other back they're bringing in case someone drops in the warm up.

I think literally the only other player left who could conceivably cover is Hugh O'Sullivan as a 15.

This is nuts.

Like I play J4 rugby and we'd have an easier time putting a team out

So let's see if I have this right. Leinster are now missing:

To international duty:
    Healy, Kelleher, Furlong, Porter, Baird, Ryan, Connors, Conan, JGP, Sexton, Henshaw, Ringrose, Lowe, Larmour & Keenan

To injury:
    Milne, Abdaladze, Leavy, Doris, Deegan, H Byrne, Hawkshaw, Frawley, TOB, COB, A Byrne, Silvester & Smith

I'm probably missing guys there, including Academy guys who might be ahead of the likes of Osbourne. Butbthats at least 28 players that could realistically be in the 23 this weekend. And we're still favourites away to a fairly strong Ulster side? Someone's having a laugh, right?

EDIT: Added Smith. Thanks AB1.

I also noticed Leinster really trying to put the shove on Glasgow last week at scrum time.

Can see them targeting Ulster similarly as I think they're vulnerable there.

Benty has had flashes of impressive dominance this season there and I think EOS can be got to.

The beef in the second row backs up my theory too.

Scrum, penalty, maul, try, defend tight for the rest.

Good plan haha

To international duty:
    Healy, Kelleher, Furlong, Porter, Baird, Ryan, Connors, Conan, JGP, Sexton, Henshaw, Ringrose, Lowe, Larmour & Keenan

To injury:
    Milne, Abdaladze, Leavy, Doris, Deegan, H Byrne, Hawkshaw, Frawley, TOB, COB, A Byrne & Silvester

I'm probably missing guys there, including Academy guys who might be ahead of the likes of Osbourne. Butbthats at least 27 players that could realistically be in the 23 this weekend. And we're still favourites away to a fairly strong Ulster side? Someone's having a laugh, right?

The list I had last week edited to those we got back
    Players unavailable due to injury/ international call ups (capped players only)

Healy, Furlong, Porter, Milne, Byrne, Abdaladze

Kelleher

Ryan, Baird, Molony (?)

Leavy, Ruddock, Deegan, Doris, Conan, Connors

Gibson-Park

Sexton, Byrne

Ringrose, Henshaw, T O'Brien, C O'Brien

Keenan, Larmour, Lowe, A Byrne, Silvester, Smith

So we gain Ed, Ruddock and Ross

And we lose Harry, Frawley, Hawkshaw to keep the total at 29

To international duty:

To injury:
    Milne, Abdaladze, Leavy, Doris, Deegan, H Byrne, Hawkshaw, Frawley, TOB, COB, A Byrne & Silvester

I'm probably missing guys there, including Academy guys who might be ahead of the likes of Osbourne. Butbthats at least 27 players that could realistically be in the 23 this weekend. And we're still favourites away to a fairly strong Ulster side? Someone's having a laugh, right?

and put on top of all that that we've conceded 85 points in the last 3 games

Checked odds again.

Clearly took time to update after team announcement.

Leinster still favorites but odds slightly shorter.

PP and Skybet have us at -4 and -3 respectively

Checked odds again.

Clearly took time to update after team announcement.

Leinster still favorites but odds slightly shorter.

PP and Skybet have us at -4 and -3 respectively

it definitely drifted immediately after the teams were named as i took ulster +5 when i saw their team, before seeing the leinster one... it went to +6 for a short while after the leinster team, was named.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

The list I had last week edited to those we got back

So we gain Ed, Ruddock and Ross

And we lose Harry, Frawley, Hawkshaw to keep the total at 29

With 47 in the senior squad there will be at least 24 senior players missing from every XXIII Leinster name.

With 47 in the senior squad there will be at least 24 senior players missing from every XXIII Leinster name.

Absolutely. And at any given time it's fair to say we're without a chunk due to minutes managed or injuries.

But generally we have the luxury of not selecting players who are fit and available

In fact - on Richs point.

I checked the list of players fit and available NOT selected

Seniors - 2 (Dan Sheehan, Hugh O'Sullivan)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I think it would have been better to have Dunne or Molony starting and Tim Corkery on the bench, with Fardy dropping out of the XXIII. As it is hopefully RB can last most of the match.

I'm a bit baffled by Fardy's continued involvement. He's not really playing well enough to justify getting picked ahead of Molony and Dunne. And he probably shouldn't make the XXIII for the final against Munster either once Ryan and Baird are back in harness. I'd say Farrell would get slaughtered for such a regressive selection for Ireland, but there's not the same scrutiny around provincial selection probably because people aren't as familiar with the alternatives coming up behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I think it would have been better to have Dunne or Molony starting and Tim Corkery on the bench, with Fardy dropping out of the XXIII. As it is hopefully RB can last most of the match.

I'm a bit baffled by Fardy's continued involvement. He's not really playing well enough to justify getting picked ahead of Molony and Dunne. And he probably shouldn't make the XXIII for the final against Munster either once Ryan and Baird are back in harness. I'd say Farrell would get slaughtered for such a regressive selection for Ireland, but there's not the same scrutiny around provincial selection probably because people aren't as familiar with the alternatives coming up behind.

Translation: get rid of the foreigner.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭dublin49

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Translation: get rid of the foreigner.

Get rid of expensive foreigner in these challenging times when there are young Irish replacements champing at the bit to show what they can do.

dublin49 wrote: »
    Get rid of expensive foreigner in these challenging times when there are young Irish replacements champing at the bit to show what they can do.

Surely you can do better than that mate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

But they still have to pay him???

humm....

just a slight lack of understanding about how contracts work I see

Fardy is one of Leinsters greatest ever signings imo. You could see the difference he made to the pack in his first season. Wouldn't have won the European Cup without him. Was our best player that year.

His excellent handling in the wider channels have a new dimension to Leinsters attack and I've no doubt it has also influenced the younger Leinster forwards to play a more expansive game as well.

Even though he's not as good as he was a few years ago he's still comfortably a top 3 lock in the squad. He's well worth his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Clegg wrote: »
    Even though he's not as good as he was a few years ago he's still comfortably a top 3 lock in the squad. He's well worth his place.

I really don't think he is, to be honest.

Ryan, Molony and Baird are all more impactful players at this stage. Fardy is an experience hand to have on the field and keep cool heads but I don't think he offers more around the field than the other three at this point.

Molony is the closest to him but his work rate is comfortably higher than Fardy's at this point. He's almost 37 and he looks it out there in recent times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Purist98

Interesting point yeah.

I also wonder what other back they're bringing in case someone drops in the warm up.

I think literally the only other player left who could conceivably cover is Hugh O'Sullivan as a 15.

This is nuts.

Like I play J4 rugby and we'd have an easier time putting a team out

Corkery and Cosgrave are sub academy backs in training so they're possibly travelling reserves along with HOS.
    Is Niall Comerford fit? You'd think he'd be next up if he is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement