Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you in MMA

Options
  • 06-03-2019 10:00pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by the popular thread on After Hours.. this is just for a bit of fun so don't be that guy
    And remember there is a charter so keep it trivial

• unknotting hand wraps after you've washed them
    • conversely the guy who never washes his gear
    • getting paired with the guy who outweighs you by about 40 kilos in a small group
    • Joe Rogan hyping people up, it feels like he's only gotten worse since the 'Machida Era'
    • The demise of the old Japanese orgs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I can't take a champion seriously if they weren't deserving of the shot when they won it, no matter how they do after they win

Woodley - Didn't fight for a long time before his title shot, fair enough he was supposed to face Hendricks at one stage who pulled out because of the weight cut, but Stephen Thompson was more deserving of the shot at Lawlor

Bisping - Saved an event at 2 weeks notice, but how many people actually had Bisping as the best MW at any stage after he won

Miocic - A combo of the 2 above, he was rewarded for trying to step in after Cain had to pull out but Werdum then pulled out of that event. Cain was due the title shot but injury hit him in March, Miocic got his shot in May but Cain was able to fight in July so he should have got his title shot, I hate when people are punished for being injured, although since he's gotten worse at the time he should have got the shot

There's others I can't think of, but also if the likes of Ozdemir, Lewis, or Smith had won their title fights I'd have felt the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I can't take a champion seriously if they weren't deserving of the shot when they won it, no matter how they do after they win

Woodley - Didn't fight for a long time before his title shot, fair enough he was supposed to face Hendricks at one stage who pulled out because of the weight cut, but Stephen Thompson was more deserving of the shot at Lawlor

Bisping - Saved an event at 2 weeks notice, but how many people actually had Bisping as the best MW at any stage after he won

Miocic - A combo of the 2 above, he was rewarded for trying to step in after Cain had to pull out but Werdum then pulled out of that event. Cain was due the title shot but injury hit him in March, Miocic got his shot in May but Cain was able to fight in July so he should have got his title shot, I hate when people are punished for being injured, although since he's gotten worse at the time he should have got the shot

There's others I can't think of, but also if the likes of Ozdemir, Lewis, or Smith had won their title fights I'd have felt the same

People not deserving them and getting them is rampant. Although stepping in for an injury is seperate imo

Interim belts are the drizzling ****s, as is a no.1 contender or interim belt holder- which are one and the same really being passed over for a title fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

Tony Ferguson not getting the respect he deserves from the UFC

McGregor thinking he's still in a position to pick and choose what he wants to do within the UFC including automatic title shots

Interim titles in general. Defend or vacate within 9 months should be a rule

More defined rules for rankings and match making.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,335 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

‘The best to ever do it’

People thriving on others’ loss.

The absolute hatred for Ronda Rousey - Literally only for her, women’s MMA would have never become this mainstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

People who've no idea about MMA beyond surface level, no idea about the complexity of different skillsets, driving mainstream narratives that are rubbish like McGregor being a 'fraud' because he was beaten by the best grappler in the world, or that he put on a terrible performance.

It's not that I give a crap bout Conor, and I wouldn't care if he lost his next ten fights, but the whole perception angle is a victim of the spotlight he himself has shone on the UFC.

No-one claims Tyron is a bum/fraud/been found out after losing to Usman, but after Conor lost to Khabib (and didn't perform half bad all things considered) the internet was on fire with how he was exposed/found out/is a terrible fighter/etc simply because he transcends the actual sport in the mainstream eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bisping wasn't the No.1 contender at the time. But he beat Rockhold fair and squarely. Thinking of him as anything other than the champ is silly. As long as something, is prevented from fighting, I think it's fair.

It's like the difference between a knock out championship and year long leagues competitions.
    Interim titles in general. Defend or vacate within 9 months should be a rule
    You think Khabib should be stripped if he doesn't fight the fight week PPV in July?

Mellor wrote: »
    Bisping wasn't the No.1 contender at the time. But he beat Rockhold fair and squarely. Thinking of him as anything other than the champ is silly. As long as something, is prevented from fighting, I think it's fair.

It's like the difference between a knock out championship and year long leagues competitions.

I know it's silly but its just something trivial that annoyed me, if he went on to beat GSP, Weidman, Romero, Whittaker etc it wouldnt have mattered to me, as I said with Woodley and Miocic when someone isn't who I consider the deserving contender I just can't ever take them seriously, they always have that asterix beside their name

I know it's silly but its just something trivial that annoyed me, if he went on to beat GSP, Weidman, Romero, Whittaker etc it wouldnt have mattered to me, as I said with Woodley and Miocic when someone isn't who I consider the deserving contender I just can't ever take them seriously, they always have that asterix beside their name

Fair enough, the thread is literally for trivial things that any you.
    I just think it's odd that no fighter can ever shake that asterix. Do you think of Khabib as having a similar asterisk?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I find Jon Aniks speaking style and cadence very annoying.

Fair enough, the thread is literally for trivial things that any you.
    I just think it's odd that no fighter can ever shake that asterix. Do you think of Khabib as having a similar asterisk?

He was deserving of a title shot before he beat ragin Al so I never had a problem with him, even if he didn’t fight Ferguson. LW is such a clusterfcuk today with whats being booked, but Ferguson should be the one getting the title shot now and I’ll have that asterix beside Holloway or Porier should they become undisputed champion

• Advertisement

He was deserving of a title shot before he beat ragin Al so I never had a problem with him, even if he didn’t fight Ferguson. LW is such a clusterfcuk today with whats being booked,
    Khabib deserved a shot, but the Al fight wasn't a real title fight.

Or put it another way. Al wasn't a real champ if he beat Khabib, but Khabib is a real champ for beating Al. Just trying to figure out how it work.
    Ferguson should be the one getting the title shot now and I’ll have that asterix beside Holloway or Porier should they become undisputed champion
    Ferguson was offered the title fight turned it down. It a mad scenerio.
    The interim is BS. But If Dustin beats Max and then beats Khabib, he's absolutely be the real champ.

Khabib deserved a shot, but the Al fight wasn't a real title fight.

Or put it another way. Al wasn't a real champ if he beat Khabib, but Khabib is a real champ for beating Al. Just trying to figure out how it work.

Ferguson was offered the title fight turned it down. It a mad scenerio.
    The interim is BS. But If Dustin beats Max and then beats Khabib, he's absolutely be the real champ.

That didn't bother me since Khabib deserved a shot, but if Al beat Khabib he'd have been the same as Bisping for me

It's not a perfect system obviously, but the champ should be the best in the world and he should fight the 2nd best in the world, or if he's beaten the consensus 2nd best then he moves onto the 3rd best etc etc

If Poirier was to win the interim, but become undisputed and never fought Khabib then he'd have an asterix beside his name. Porier v Max is a number 1 contender fight in all but name

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Pre- McGregor Era so it doesn't count, it was a completely different world back then :pac: Goldberg, Rousey, Cowzerp, a functioning title system, Tapout gear. Joe Rogan's annoying commentary seems to be one of the few links to the past

So whatever happened to Nate Kelly anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

There's no astrix beside Stipe or Woodleys name are you on a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

Yes I do. Defend or vacate. Maybe allow 10 months with a 2 month extension if an injury is sustained in the last fight.

There's no astrix beside Stipe or Woodleys name are you on a wind up.

In reality no. I just disagreed with them getting their title shots at the time, so could never fully get behind them as the champ. Its irrational and trivial but hey thats what this thread is supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

The fact that Jones has a loss on his record.

That didn't bother me since Khabib deserved a shot, but if Al beat Khabib he'd have been the same as Bisping for me
    That's the part I don't get. Beating Khabib, is a much bigger achievement than beating Al. Fair enough if Al won by DQ or something. They should at least be treated equally in the one fight.
    It's not a perfect system obviously, but the champ should be the best in the world and he should fight the 2nd best in the world, or if he's beaten the consensus 2nd best then he moves onto the 3rd best etc etc
    Agreed.
    Khabib became champ by beating the 10th best.
    Had Al won, he'd have been champ after beating the best.
    If Poirier was to win the interim, but become undisputed and never fought Khabib then he'd have an asterix beside his name. Porier v Max is a number 1 contender fight in all but name
    Poirier has to fight Khabib to become undisputed.

Did McGregor have an asterix? He became interim champ at 189

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The fact that the whole point of an MMA broadcast is to show full contact fights where there are KOs, injuries, blood, damage, carnage, mayhem, brutality.........

But if someone swears they have to apologise!

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The fact that the whole point of an MMA broadcast is to show full contact fights where there are KOs, injuries, blood, damage, carnage, mayhem, brutality.........

But if someone swears they have to apologise!
    Maybe I am being a bit unfair but it seems to be a very american thing, same with nudity or anything sexual (South Park made a funny parody of it)

On that note one thing that always bemuses me, is idiots making smart comment when two female fighters are grappling and end up in north south or something.. like you just spent a few hours watching two men crawl all over each other and now all of a sudden it's sexual?

That's the part I don't get. Beating Khabib, is a much bigger achievement than beating Al. Fair enough if Al won by DQ or something. They should at least be treated equally in the one fight.

Agreed.
    Khabib became champ by beating the 10th best.
    Had Al won, he'd have been champ after beating the best.

Poirier has to fight Khabib to become undisputed.

Did McGregor have an asterix? He became interim champ at 189

Al was only against Khabib because he was already on the card, his only win in 3 years before facing Khabib was against Diego Sanchez and that ain't a feather in anyone's cap these days, he lucked into his title fight

Paul Felder was even wanted ahead of Al, before the rankings were taken more seriously by the NYSAC than even me

Conor went to beat Aldo so he was the champ then, did anyone consider him champ after 189? What I was getting at with Porier was that if he was to never go on to beat Khabib he wouldn't be the real champ, same as if Conor became undisputed FW champ without ever fighting Aldo for whatever reason he'd have the question mark beside him

Al was only against Khabib because he was already on the card, his only win in 3 years before facing Khabib was against Diego Sanchez and that ain't a feather in anyone's cap these days, he lucked into his title fight
    I agree. He also got whoopped by Khabib, so he wasn't champ material.

But I'm saying IF he beat Khabib, the best LW in the sport, he would have deserved the credit for doing so.
    I'm not saying he deserves it based on what happened though.
    What I was getting at with Porier was that if he was to never go on to beat Khabib he wouldn't be the real champ, same as if Conor became undisputed FW champ without ever fighting Aldo for whatever reason he'd have the question mark beside him
    You said "he'd have that asterix should they become undisputed champion".
    I'm getting at to become Undisputed champion implies beating Khabib (most cases anyway)
    I agree Max/Dustin won't be champ unless they unify the title.

When a fighter has a big win yet doesn’t have a name of someone to call out. If you don’t care who you want to fight next, then I don’t care mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Joe Rogan and co screaming at action on fight companions.

Fine when you're part of the broadcast, the context is better, the sound levels are more consistent.

But when you go from quietly discussing different topics dicks, flat earth etc to screaming full volume, its insanely annoying. And then Eddie, Brendan etc have to join in with the "OHHH"s.

dulux99 wrote: »
    When a fighter has a big win yet doesn’t have a name of someone to call out. If you don’t care who you want to fight next, then I don’t care mate.
    Ah on this one now I'd be the opposite, I prefer the good old days of Joe Silva matchmaking

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I'd be the opposite most of the time
    I respect the likes of whittaker, miocic, holloway etc for this
    You want the likes of jones, lesnar and especially conor calling out folks but then you have eejits like Gall trying to pick fights he thinks he can't lose which he has done very well at up till last weekend

mailburner wrote: »
    I'd be the opposite most of the time
    I respect the likes of whittaker, miocic, holloway etc for this
    You want the likes of jones, lesnar and especially conor calling out folks but then you have eejits like Gall trying to pick fights he thinks he can't lose which he has done very well at up till last weekend

I'm not really talking about the champs, I'm more talking about someone hovering outside the top 15. Fellas we mostly may not know alot about

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I'm not really talking about the champs, I'm more talking about someone hovering outside the top 15. Fellas we mostly may not know alot about

In fairness it's not really their fault. Mickey Gall has done much better than he should purely off the back of calling out CM Punk on lookin for a fight. It's a way to get a shortcut up the ladder. Shouldnt be the case but too many have made it work for them to be able to blame so many others for trying to do the same it's their job on the line at the end of the day they're just trying to get paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

When you're rolling on mats that should in no way be used for rolling on. Getting in the bath with that mat burn the pain is real!

Advertisement