Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Original Xiaomi Ultra-thin 10000mAh Mobile Power Bank - €13 to your door

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭PreCocious

Well, it looks like my gearbest one is fake and has half capacity. Charges at quickcharge rates but seems to have less than 4500mAh capacity. Will be reporting to Gearbest and posting in their forum here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

PreCocious wrote: »
    Well, it looks like my gearbest one is fake and has half capacity. Charges at quickcharge rates but seems to have less than 4500mAh capacity. Will be reporting to Gearbest and posting in their forum here.

How can we check the capacity of the units?

How can we check the capacity of the units?
    USB meter and 1A/5V load. There is a review linked in post #7 which has performance characteristics of genuine unit.

Note that the output capacity of a power bank is always lower than the branded value due to the fact that they are branded at voltage of internal cell, not 5V. The conversion rate and efficiency will determine output capacity. In this case it's ratedby Xiaomi at 6900mAh at 5V/1A (see base of unit) and reviews of genuine units support this.

Not that the output capacity will appear much lower than 6900mAh if using quickcharge as the output voltage can be as high as 12V.

Nqea8KI.png

If you don't know what you're doing then you could misinterpret the results and wrongly assume a genuine one is fake or vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its worth noting I retested mine at a VERY modest 0.22A draw. If it was original it would show 7Ah instead of 2.6Ah.

Status
    We need to confirm this issue with our supplier and will get back to you with an update as soon as possible. We will then resolve this issue to your satisfaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

ED E wrote: »
    Status

Have opened a ticket myself as it charges a Samsung Galaxy S5 but doesn't hold much charge afterwards.

I have the same reply on my ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bryan06

This is terrible, I got the same reply to my ticket. I then messaged Gearbest.com: Lindell from the boards Gearbest customer support and he said
    Hi Bryan,the power bank is genuine. you can check whether the xiaomi power bank is genuine in this site: http://chaxunmi.cn

This is complete rubbish, that website is clearly fake and theres a post on miui.com forums saying the same thing:
    http://en.miui.com/thread-1113758-1-1.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

bryan06 wrote: »
    This is terrible, I got the same reply to my ticket. I then messaged Gearbest.com: Lindell from the boards Gearbest customer support and he said

This is complete rubbish, that website is clearly fake and theres a post on miui.com forums saying the same thing:

That's incredible.
    I think it's time one of the boards staff commented on this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

"We are extremely sorry for this inconvenience. We are committed to resolving this case to your satisfaction.

Please review our warranty here:http://www.gearbest.com/about/warranty-and-return.html
    About the issue, we have received your feedback, then we would recheck it again.

Please consider the following options:
    Option 1: Quick Full Refund to Your gearbest Wallet as Store Credit.
    We can full refund 16.32USD to your Wallet and additionally reward you with extra points.
    (e.g. If your refund is USD 1=2 points, USD 3=3*2 points=>get 6 points etc).
    Learn more about wallet benefits : http://www.gearbest.com/m-article.htm?id=111
    Learn more about points from http://www.gearbest.com/about/about-points.html

Option 2: Quick full Refund to your payment account.
    We can full refund your the amount 16.32USD to your original payment account.
    -For Credit card refund, the transaction will appear within 7-14 business days.
    The exact length of time depends on your card issuing bank."

Shall I take the money and run or consider ordering a different one?

Shlippery wrote: »
    "We are extremely sorry for this inconvenience. We are committed to resolving this case to your satisfaction.

Please review our warranty here:http://www.gearbest.com/about/warranty-and-return.html
    About the issue, we have received your feedback, then we would recheck it again.

Please consider the following options:
    Option 1: Quick Full Refund to Your gearbest Wallet as Store Credit.
    We can full refund 16.32USD to your Wallet and additionally reward you with extra points.
    (e.g. If your refund is USD 1=2 points, USD 3=3*2 points=>get 6 points etc).
    Learn more about wallet benefits : http://www.gearbest.com/m-article.htm?id=111
    Learn more about points from http://www.gearbest.com/about/about-points.html

Option 2: Quick full Refund to your payment account.
    We can full refund your the amount 16.32USD to your original payment account.
    -For Credit card refund, the transaction will appear within 7-14 business days.
    The exact length of time depends on your card issuing bank."

Shall I take the money and run or consider ordering a different one?

Take the money and run. In my case (a previous gen Xiaomi power bank) they offered a replacement which I accepted as I very much wanted a legit one. I stressed not to bother sending the fake and it was about a month later so I figured they would have sorted their fake stock.

Replacement arrived...another fake. :rolleyes: Two fakes for price of one, which some might have been happy with but I had zero interest in the fakes, I just wanted one legit unit.

So take the money and wait until you are sure of getting a real unit. Best way is to wait for a new model and order immediately after launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

That is unreal. The link does not work for me but i guess it is the same one here?
    http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1113758&highlight=fake
    It is insane that he linked to the fake site. :eek:

Some forum posts appearing of other fake products now too. Most identified by fake batteries, unbranded or missing text compared to legit.
    Umi and Doogee phones and some other products.

The 'fake' is not what would bother me. The reason that they are fake would. They use cheaper/lesser quality parts. They are dangerous and more likely to die sooner. If they even work to begin with. I am sure even the counterfeit factories have some sort of product testing. I have bought plenty of counterfeit items (without electronics or batteries), and they do not last.

After poking them again they've offered a refund.

Yeah, I got my refund a day or two ago thanks to Lindell in the Gearbest thread.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I don't know why people buy tat on Gearbest and Ali Express etc. more often than not the electronics are fake and definitely not EU safety compliant, it will take anything up to four weeks to arrive from China and usually will get a customs charge. I bought an Android Kodi box from Gearbest last year and it took almost 5 weeks to arrive and Customs charged VAT on top of it then desite I thinking it was coming from the Netherlands, the great bargain I thought I was getting turned out to be more expensive than had I bought it on Amazon.

It was also riddled with Chinese spyware and I had to wipe it and install new Android software. I'm still convinced its fake and I only plug it in when I use it. Those sites are handy for certain things cheap tat and stuff but I definitely wouldn't be buying electronics or anything likely to catch fire. I'm not criticizing Chinese products and the likes of Xiaomi have a good name only buy from the likes of Amazon fulfilled by Amazon themselves or other reputable dealers. The country is littered with fake SD cards also from similar cheapo websites.

Would be interested to see what's inside and why the capacity is so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Doltanian wrote: »
    I don't know why people buy tat on Gearbest and Ali Express etc. more often than not the electronics are fake and definitely not EU safety compliant, it will take anything up to four weeks to arrive from China and usually will get a customs charge. I bought an Android Kodi box from Gearbest last year and it took almost 5 weeks to arrive and Customs charged VAT on top of it then desite I thinking it was coming from the Netherlands, the great bargain I thought I was getting turned out to be more expensive than had I bought it on Amazon.

It was also riddled with Chinese spyware and I had to wipe it and install new Android software. I'm still convinced its fake and I only plug it in when I use it. Those sites are handy for certain things cheap tat and stuff but I definitely wouldn't be buying electronics or anything likely to catch fire. I'm not criticizing Chinese products and the likes of Xiaomi have a good name only buy from the likes of Amazon fulfilled by Amazon themselves or other reputable dealers. The country is littered with fake SD cards also from similar cheapo websites.
    You know that Xiaomi sells on aliexpress?

loki7777 wrote: »

Yeah but I'm sure they have a verified store or whatever, but its the 3rd party Fakey McFakeface type of places I'd be worried about and they are even starting to appear on Amazon 3rd party also now I read.

No verified but official store as well. I have to agree when it goes about hdd,sd,ssd all fakes. But i still will be buying over there as long as i'm not in rush.

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote: »
    That is unreal. The link does not work for me but i guess it is the same one here?
    http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1113758&highlight=fake
    It is insane that he linked to the fake site. :eek:

Yes its the same post.
    Would be interested to see what's inside and why the capacity is so low.

I opened mine up but it was just two Li-Polymer batteries taped together, no capacity or markings on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

This kind of carry on is rife.Even on Amazon.I see that there is a thread up here at the mo about "Yi" dashcams.These are also fake misrepresenting as xiaomi yi dashcams.

loki7777 wrote: »

They DONT. Theres no official Xiaomi store. Its not affiliated with them.

I opened mine up but it was just two Li-Polymer batteries taped together, no capacity or markings on them.
    No markings at all? You got any pics?

In the previous gen (18650 based) models i've seen fakes with batteries full of sand :pac:

It actually seems to be one pack.

See attached

Wow that looks garbage. Nothing even close to the real thing. Very obvious why it has such low capacity. A single unbranded dented-up lipo, not even close to taking up the available space inside. Crappy looking and very bare circuit board.

Take your money and run, dispose of that thing safely. I know the temptation is to view it is a free low capacity power bank but I wouldn't want that thing inside my home.

magentis wrote: »
    This kind of carry on is rife.Even on Amazon.I see that there is a thread up here at the mo about "Yi" dashcams.These are also fake misrepresenting as xiaomi yi dashcams.

Xiaomi owns YI and have invested into them so there is a link between Xiaomi, YI and MI all part of the biggest eco-system and business family.

It seems like its meant to look like this inside https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUVIugDZf4Y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

They DONT. Theres no official Xiaomi store. Its not affiliated with them.

Pretty sure that changed recently (around the time they launched the Spanish shop)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Pretty sure that changed recently (around the time they launched the Spanish shop)

Yeah, they have at least one authorised Aliexpress store. There is one dedicated to Greece too, which makes little sense as they have their own store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

The power bank cost me $16.32 including shipping. Gear Best is only offering to refund me $12.99. Has anyone else got a full refund.

ROVER wrote: »
    The power bank cost me $16.32 including shipping. Gear Best is only offering to refund me $12.99. Has anyone else got a full refund.

I got the full thing
    GearBest just sent you a full refund of €13.82 EUR for your purchase.

If you have any questions about this refund, please contact GearBest.

The refund will go to the card you paid with.

Ahh, I may be mistaken then so.

ROVER wrote: »

Mine cost €14.89, and was refunded the exact same amount.

Ahh, I may be mistaken then so.

Nah, we were both wrong lol The shop i looked at ali is not official shop in the official word meaning so you were right - but anyway i bought 2 phones of them now as christmas gifts :)

Did you use https://www.mi.com/verify/ or chaxun.mi.com(just a redirect) or chaxunmi.cn. My label says the latter, that worked, but the other fails to recognise.

The label also seems wrong, real ones have the scratcher on the left of the sticker, this has it on the bottom.

Capacity will probably end up around 3Ah @5v instead of the 6.9Ah the real ones are rated for and do reach.

Update:

Working:

Not working:

Edit 2:

Only reference is Baidu saying its fake
    http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5324539099

Final Capacity: 2597mAh @ 5v
    Expected Capacity 6900mAh @ 5v
    Delta: 63%.

Update: - EDIT: Boards have totally broken BB code tables....
    Gearbest  |  DealExtreme
    €13.50 |  €18.11 (With Fan)
    2600mAh @ 5v | 5000mAh @ 5v
     Fake Sticker No QC in No QC out No low current mode |  Real QC in (15W+) QC out(15W+)  Low current mode ... Slightly lower capacity than reviewers, Xiaomi may have different binning for CN and EU markets or just wonky QC. Still gone from useless to very useful. 

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I ordered one but it seems like it was stopped at Sweden. It wasn't allowed on the plane. Time for me to raise a ticket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Jesus, just reading this thread for the first time in ages. AvE on youtube would have a blast with this thing. He loves the Chinesium stuff.

Dont forget big clive!

• Advertisement
Advertisement