Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine 5G Ready Broadband

Options
  • 21-11-2019 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

I've just signed up for this service as fibre or siro etc isn't an option. I had to sign up in order to get an engineer out to do a speed test and if I'm not happy with the results, I can refuse installation and cancel. I'm in Drumkeen and the signal (which I know isn't actually 5G) is coming from newly installed masts in Stranorlar. They claim speeds up to 150mbps. The engineers are calling Tuesday and most likely some time between 9-5 which would be off peak so if I don't see speeds of 120+ during those hours i'll be refusing it as I'm aware it can drop quite a bit during peak times (6-9pm)

Anyway I just wanted to know if there were any others who already have it and hows it working out? Its expensive at €59 p/m on a 24 month contract but its the only option for me at the moment otherwise I have to make do with Sky abysmal offering of 6mbps download with a barely registering 0.25mbps upload!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

neighbours installed it - for their business its running 80-100mb download, seem happy with it.

they are connecting to the "high" site at trummon laghey from the other side of donegal town

i cant get it as i can t see their mast otherwise i would be getting it.

they dont use it in the evenings though as its a business (looking at the imagine thread in the broadband forum contention seems to be imagine's achilles heel they overload the masts and you can be down to 4-5 mb)

imagine thread
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057558377

oh and its nothing to do with 5g ignore that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yeah the evening speeds are what concern me but i'll be monitoring it closely for the following 4 or 5 days and if I see significant drops in the evening then its going again.

I asked the rep who called are the speeds traffic dependent and he gave me a BS answer saying no as they are limiting each mast to 450 customer with 150 per quarter (NSEW) so I said then that means it is traffic dependent and heavy use by those 150 customers will cause signal drop for all/many...he didn't have an answer as I guess he's just a monkey used to get people to sign up.

I know its not 5G and I was going to push him on that but didn't see the point as I probably knew more about it than he did.

yeh im toying with putting a wireless link to the neighbours and tapping into it (against imagines T's&C's), although having talked to donegal CO CO broadband officer he reckons we have a chance of being early in the NBP rollout as we are quite close to donegal town

• Registered Users Posts: 33,121 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Are they advertising it as 5g?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

they are connecting to the "high" site at trummon laghey from the other side of donegal town

Interesting, that they chose there of all places to stick a mast.

That said, I did recently notice that Eir seem to have rolled out fibre in the Trummon area (presumably part of rural fibre rollout) and that is why Trummon was chosen, having fibre as backhaul.

There's some fibre rollout in the Barnesmore area too, though I'm not sure what % of houses they're passing.

Ideally of course, it'd be nice if rural fibre rollout was expedited to more premises around the country.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

Yeah it’s emblazoned on the side of their vans and they’re advertising the receiver thing that they fit to your house as 5G ready

"5G ready"

not actually 5G :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,121 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah it’s emblazoned on the side of their vans and they’re advertising the receiver thing that they fit to your house as 5G ready

Clever marketing so.

Clever marketing so.

lying - they dont even have a 5G license

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

I've just signed up for this service as fibre or siro etc isn't an option. I had to sign up in order to get an engineer out to do a speed test and if I'm not happy with the results, I can refuse installation and cancel. I'm in Drumkeen and the signal (which I know isn't actually 5G) is coming from newly installed masts in Stranorlar. They claim speeds up to 150mbps. The engineers are calling Tuesday and most likely some time between 9-5 which would be off peak so if I don't see speeds of 120+ during those hours i'll be refusing it as I'm aware it can drop quite a bit during peak times (6-9pm)

Anyway I just wanted to know if there were any others who already have it and hows it working out? Its expensive at €59 p/m on a 24 month contract but its the only option for me at the moment otherwise I have to make do with Sky abysmal offering of 6mbps download with a barely registering 0.25mbps upload!

Just wondering how did you fare out. We are in the same boat, very poor wireless broadband but imagine have just entered the area with a big push to get customers to sign up promising min 50mbps but I've read some bad reviews about their service

• Advertisement

fennor72 wrote: »
    Just wondering how did you fare out. We are in the same boat, very poor wireless broadband but imagine have just entered the area with a big push to get customers to sign up promising min 50mbps but I've read some bad reviews about their service

I cancelled. They were never able to come when I was at home and I wasn’t taking time off work for it. I gave them the days including week days that would suit me but they never got back to me to confirm. I’d then get a call asking if I wanted to arrange the engineers to come and test the signal and they’d have no notes about previous calls when I gave them the dates I was available. The 14 day cooling off period was about to run out so I cancelled. Still haven’t got back my €100 though. They are so disjointed, seems to be no continuity on the call system and you have to go through the same Shiite on every call.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Thanks for the reply, I'll stay with my 3 broadband as bad as it is.

fennor72 wrote: »

as i was saying my neighbours are happy with it but as they are a business it gets used during the day, and the trummon site is fairly new so not overloaded yet.

imagines main problem is that they claim they wont overload a mast but they always do so your speeds die when everyone is on it ion the evening. most people seem to to get 12 to 18 months before this starts happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Anyone use Imagine at home for gaming? What are pings like? I'm frustrated with my dodgy vodafone 4g lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

14 day cooling off to test it. I have it 3 years now and its been very good, in fact its gotten better over time.

Advertisement