Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2020 :Round 17 Abu Dhabi

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Great lap by Max! Better from Albon too which is good. Norris too with a great lap. I do find this qualifying format frustrating though, we saw none of those drivers laps, just them crossing the line. Setup nicely for the race tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,545 ✭✭✭✭klose

Nice from Max, atleast it will make a good start to the the race tomorrow though you'd imagine Hamilton will zoom off unit the sunset again. Good stuff from norris too, the maclaren seems really good I'm looking forward to seeing what Ricciardo can add to them next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

good stuff from Max and the Honda power . Close stuff . enjoyed that session.

Shout out to Lando securing 4th and his inter Team battle 9-8 as Sainz leave

Dani Kvyat third Race in a row on Q3 and also ahead of Gasly . Good for him , decent way to be leaving the sport. hopefully gets a decent race tomorrow.

No idea how this will go tomorrow .

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The noise from the Renault that Alonso is throwing around the track is just glorious. F1 just isn't the same without that sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

klose wrote: »
    Nice from Max, atleast it will make a good start to the the race tomorrow though you'd imagine Hamilton will zoom off unit the sunset again. Good stuff from norris too, the maclaren seems really good I'm looking forward to seeing what Ricciardo can add to them next season.

If Norris and/or Albon can hassle Hamilton off the line it could be an interesting race. Bottas needs a good start.

• Advertisement

Jesus it genuinely hadn't occurred to me that there hadn't been a single non-Mercedes pole til this weekend. Good stuff Max.

McLaren's progress should be noted. I find it hard to believe that the Mercedes engine isn't worth a quarter of a second in Abu Dhabi so on this track it's arguable Mercedes might only be the third best chassis/aero package.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,008 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Jesus it genuinely hadn't occurred to me that there hadn't been a single non-Mercedes pole til this weekend. Good stuff Max.

McLaren's progress should be noted. I find it hard to believe that the Mercedes engine isn't worth a quarter of a second in Abu Dhabi so on this track it's arguable Mercedes might only be the third best chassis/aero package.

The battle for third beat car has been really interesting this year.

The Tracing Point might have been the second best car at the very start. And we assume the Red Bull became comfortable second best (but I suspect it’s not as good as Verstappen makes it look). At the start the Mclaren was strongest of the rest and Ferrari at the back of the midfield, Alfa, haas and Williams at the back.

Since then the RP has slipped back and Renault has clawed its way, inch by inch, to the best of the rest. But McLaren have tightened it up in the last few races. Ferrari has improved too and probably narrowed the gap to the front of the midfield.

Hard to know where Alpha fit in. They looked great at the really fast tracks like Spa and Monza. But very hit and miss over the season. Probably behind the Ferrari overall and last of the midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

Hope Max scoots off into the sunset and wins by a country mile , unlikely though.

The battle for third beat car has been really interesting this year.

The Tracing Point might have been the second best car at the very start. And we assume the Red Bull became comfortable second best (but I suspect it’s not as good as Verstappen makes it look). At the start the Mclaren was strongest of the rest and Ferrari at the back of the midfield, Alfa, haas and Williams at the back.

Since then the RP has slipped back and Renault has clawed its way, inch by inch, to the best of the rest. But McLaren have tightened it up in the last few races. Ferrari has improved too and probably narrowed the gap to the front of the midfield.

Hard to know where Alpha fit in. They looked great at the really fast tracks like Spa and Monza. But very hit and miss over the season. Probably behind the Ferrari overall and last of the midfield.

Though just as I was reading your post I realised that Merc likely haven't put too many resources into development for this season's car. Just have to hope McLaren haven't made the mistake of fighting this season to the absolute bitter end and that their upgrades will carry into next year. Would be a lovely surprised if they could put it up to Mercedes next season. I think it's a fair assumption that right now with a Merc in the back they could've rocked pole this weekend.

I think overall for the season the current constructors standings are pretty bang-on for the order for the season. Sounds tautological but it's not always the way. Ferrari have improved but I think they're probably no closer to those ahead than they were at the start of the season. Leclerc is likely getting more out of the car than he should, Vettel the opposite.
    Renault have improved a bit but a bit stuck in no-man's land just behind McLaren.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Fernando-Alonso-Renault-R25-Formel-1-GP-Abu-Dhabi-Samstag-12-12-2020-169Gallery-13dcbbad-1750896.jpg

The R25 looks beautiful under lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Fernando-Alonso-Renault-R25-Formel-1-GP-Abu-Dhabi-Samstag-12-12-2020-169Gallery-13dcbbad-1750896.jpg

The R25 looks beautiful under lights.

Meh. Its no 191

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Meh. Its no 191
    Nothing can beat the 191 dude. But I'm biased.

Though just as I was reading your post I realised that Merc likely haven't put too many resources into development for this season's car. Just have to hope McLaren haven't made the mistake of fighting this season to the absolute bitter end and that their upgrades will carry into next year. Would be a lovely surprised if they could put it up to Mercedes next season. I think it's a fair assumption that right now with a Merc in the back they could've rocked pole this weekend.

I think overall for the season the current constructors standings are pretty bang-on for the order for the season. Sounds tautological but it's not always the way. Ferrari have improved but I think they're probably no closer to those ahead than they were at the start of the season. Leclerc is likely getting more out of the car than he should, Vettel the opposite.
    Renault have improved a bit but a bit stuck in no-man's land just behind McLaren.

Yeah I don’t think there are any big changes in rules for next year. I think it was basically a covid shutdown measure where the teams could get two seasons out of one design while they all switch primary focus to the 2022 regulation changes (which were supposed to happen in 2021 instead)

With the stability in the rules between this year and next year, there is some a value in focusing on this year’s car as they could really build on the gains they’ve made.

Chances are the Mercedes will almost ignore the current design and focus on 2022. So they might start next year with an advantage and the other teams might eat into the advantage over the season. And by the end of the year the Mercedes might not even be the best car. But I’d expect them to be the best car in the new formula in 2022.

I’d agree that Mclaren getting the Mercedes engines next year might make them the main challenger to Mercedes next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Not sure whether or not to believe this one. If he's not fit enough to race tomorrow then why come back? Was he that horrified or threatened by George putting in a good performance? Or is all this just to get the excuse in place for qualifying 3rd and then make him look even more of a hero tomorrow when he triumphs over everything?

If he genuinely isn't properly fit then I can't help but think it was a d**k move to insist on coming back and denying George a chance at retribution.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/12/12/up-to-hamilton-to-decide-if-hes-fit-enough-to-race-wolff/

I suppose like everything we'll never get the full honest story.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Top Dog wrote: »
    Not sure whether or not to believe this one. If he's not fit enough to race tomorrow then why come back? Was he that horrified or threatened by George putting in a good performance? Or is all this just to get the excuse in place for qualifying 3rd and then make him look even more of a hero tomorrow when he triumphs over everything?

If he genuinely isn't properly fit then I can't help but think it was a d**k move to insist on coming back and denying George a chance at retribution.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/12/12/up-to-hamilton-to-decide-if-hes-fit-enough-to-race-wolff/

I suppose like everything we'll never get the full honest story.

Just trying to tee up the Lazarus greatest race of Hamiltons career shtick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The Amazon prime series 'Grand Prix Driver ' was real eye opener for McLaren. Everything was so badly managed at the time and that was only a couple of years ago. They have since turned the corner and now look in much better shape from the racing point of view. The fact that they were were the first to test the 2021 spec floor bodes well. Mercedes power next season should help. Hopefully they can challenge Red Bull and get regular podiums and maybe a win on the days that Mercedes have an off day. Most teams will put much resources into the 2021 cars once the season starts so I still expect Mercedes to still win most of the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

M
    Meh. Its no 191

Your right it's no 191 ITS better than the 191. It looks better it no doubt handles better and goes faster too as well as having a nicer livery. I know which car I love best the R25 and the R26.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

As for today's qualifying all I can say is thankfully we have Verstappen because that would have been the most boring qualifying session without him there. I hope he wins it tomorrow and would love to see a McLaren and a Renault up there on the podium beside him don't care which driver either from either team. That would be great.
    Ocan done good today. I think he might make a good number 1 at Renault next year if he can keep it up beside Alonso.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Nice nod from Merc to the people that probably don't get much recognition for what they do

https://twitter.com/IWC/status/1337838047203831808?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Zaph wrote: »
    The noise from the Renault that Alonso is throwing around the track is just glorious. F1 just isn't the same without that sound.

And just 1 V10 . 24 of those at full chat was a sound to behold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

robinwing wrote: »
    Hope Max scoots off into the sunset and wins by a country mile , unlikely though.

I don't get this. Thats literally what everyone complains about every week. Someone running off into the lead with no competition.

I'd like to see a good race for the win. Don't actually care if its red bull or merc so long as they have to work for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Top 3 wipe each other out, Singapore style, Norris for the win with Carlos fighting up to second.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Or Albon getting a win and pressuring the team for his seat next year. Red bull pressure? Of course not. They don't care.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

There's a lot of departures from teams today with Checo,Vettel,Ricciardo,K Mag and Sainz. Been some crazy moments this season but I am looking forward to hopefully a full race season next year

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The FIA should let all of them change their engines to a brand new, fresh power unit and just let them drive the wheels off the things.

There’s a lot of power in those cars but we never get to see it.

Faugheen wrote: »
    The FIA should let all of them change their engines to a brand new, fresh power unit and just let them drive the wheels off the things.

There’s a lot of power in those cars but we never get to see it.

I don’t think they can do that anymore. They got rid of different race modes during the season. Now they select one mode for quali and race and that’s it. Well, maybe they could select a slightly higher mode for the weekend but that’s it.

If they were to make a change then I’d let all the drivers changing teams take part in the young driver test - or not allow Alonso or anyone except young drivers. As it stands, It just serves to demonstrate how corruptible F1 is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

grand prix about to begin and the are talking about hamilton riding a motorbike

• Registered Users Posts: 13,902 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Nice fly by that,

Hopefully we get an entertaining final race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Nice fly by that,

Hopefully we get an entertaining final race.

Yup, a few people with points to prove! But it also has the ingredients to be a complete bore-fest. Hopefully it won't and we'll see a great end to what has been a pretty good season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

All eyes down now for Turn 1. If Lewis gets ahead I'm switching over to the snooker...

Advertisement