Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

leap card app

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Mr.S wrote: »
    The new iOS they are testing at the moment is great, a godsend for topping up now. I think it’s releasing relatively soon as the beta version currently being tested is very stable.

It's out now and works well.

What I don't understand is why we have to top up physical cards when the phone itself is perfectly capable of functioning as a travel card (as is the case in many other jurisdictions).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭antimatterx

What I don't understand is why we have to top up physical cards when the phone itself is perfectly capable of functioning as a travel card (as is the case in many other jurisdictions).

I'd love to dump my physical wallet.

You should be able to have bank cards, travel cards, access cards and ID (passport etc) on a digital wallet. It's not hard to implement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

Most other cities that let you pay by phone use Contactless EMV, the same as using your phone as a debit card in a shop. To achieve that, every Leap validator, every DART turnstile and every DB ticket machine would need to be replaced with EMV certified hardware. Then the entire back office would need to be replaced. I’m sure it’ll happen eventually but it’ll be very expensive and take time.

It might be possible to write an app that embeds a Leap card inside the phone but no one is going to do that on Android because it lacks an SE like the iPhone. And then Apple’s security restrictions around the use of the NFC chipset would stop you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,023 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I don't understand this app. Is it only for the 10 journey ticket ?

I can't seem to do anything else on it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd love to dump my physical wallet.

You should be able to have bank cards, travel cards, access cards and ID (passport etc) on a digital wallet. It's not hard to implement.

Same here, a lot of this is starting to come. Obviously we already have the bank cards, I've used my phone for airline tickets and bus tickets, some places in the US are trailing driver licenses (ID) on phones.

Then there is also using your phone as the keys to your car and house.
    markpb wrote: »
    Most other cities that let you pay by phone use Contactless EMV, the same as using your phone as a debit card in a shop. To achieve that, every Leap validator, every DART turnstile and every DB ticket machine would need to be replaced with EMV certified hardware. Then the entire back office would need to be replaced. I’m sure it’ll happen eventually but it’ll be very expensive and take time.

Yep and is being worked on as part of the Next Gen Ticketing project that the NTA are running.
    markpb wrote: »
    It might be possible to write an app that embeds a Leap card inside the phone but no one is going to do that on Android because it lacks an SE like the iPhone. And then Apple’s security restrictions around the use of the NFC chipset would stop you.

Apple actually allows this now and has supported it with a number of transport agencies around the world:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207958

Also some Pixel's actually have a Secure Enclave, though it isn't really needed for this. Some of the biggest transport agencies in the world (e.g. Hong Kong, Japan, etc.) support their travel cards on general Android without SE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭p_haugh

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I don't understand this app. Is it only for the 10 journey ticket ?

I can't seem to do anything else on it

I assume this is the TFI Go app you're talking about. They initially only have 10 journey tickets available, but I believe it is planned to eventually roll out more ticket types and open it up to more operators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,023 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

p_haugh wrote: »
    I assume this is the TFI Go app you're talking about. They initially only have 10 journey tickets available, but I believe it is planned to eventually roll out more ticket types and open it up to more operators.

Ya sorry the Go app. I was hoping I could buy single intercity on it so hopefully that happens at some stage.

Still cant understand why you cant just use your leap card on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Could not find the other thread about this, so I'll post it here as it is still relevant - bit of an update on the status with mobile/contactless payments (along with a potential virtual leap card):

Advertisement