Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vanmoof bike vendors and/or similar bike vendors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bilasy

On our "New Supplier Set Up Form" there's a heading of "Supplier Tax Information" which looks for:
    "VAT No, Tax Reference No or PPSN", and
    "Tax Access Number (for eTax Verification)".

The VAT No. for Vanmoof is NL814517729B01.
    Their EORI No. is NL814517729.

Our Finance Dept suggested the EORI No. would suffice in lieu of the "Tax Access Number".

I'm surprised at the amount and type of barriers making this purchase so difficult. It makes a joke of the notion of "free movement of trade and services" within the EU.

Wouldn't you think that across all the government departments there's be a central archive of registered suppliers rather than each Finance Dept managing their own "new suppliers" register? Is that not something OGCIO or DPER should be doing?

For the record, Vanmoof have said that they already submitted VAT details, etc. to register with OGCIO to be on the Cycle To Work Suppliers List and in their eyes that should be enough. I tend to agree.

Yea we both and many others tend to agree, but we are not the employer who pays €1500 from the state money, and in their view ) this company has no Irish tax number) how can we pay them. I’m also amazed why we should be acting as a mediator between the employer and Vanmoof

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

My order has finally been confirmed.

My employer finally paid TravelHub who sent me an email voucher. I forwarded this on to Vanmoof and they confirmed my order and gave me a delivery date (end Nov/start Dec), so it will end up being an early Xmas present to myself hopefully.

mailforkev wrote: »
    My order has finally been confirmed.

My employer finally paid TravelHub who sent me an email voucher. I forwarded this on to Vanmoof and they confirmed my order and gave me a delivery date (end Nov/start Dec), so it will end up being an early Xmas present to myself hopefully.

Congratulations that’s a good news, now just to be clear the invoice that you submitted to work was issued by travelhub.ie or Vanmoof, or in other word how
    did you manage to involve travelhub? Thanks for clarifying same

bilasy wrote: »
    Congratulations that’s a good news, now just to be clear the invoice that you submitted to work was issued by travelhub.ie or Vanmoof, or in other word how

My (private sector) employer uses TravelHub to manage the cycle to work scheme for them so I submitted my order via TH.

I got my initial quote from VanMoof, submitted it to TH, and eventually TH (after my employer paid them) sent me a voucher code. I then sent this to VanMoof and paid the balance to complete the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Black S3 ordered directly through my own company (IT contractor). Did a test ride in the Dublin store, exchanged a few emails (mostly about paying direct rather than through B2W or BikeHub) with the guys there and provided my order details before my impending order was forwarded to Amsterdam. From there, received two invoices (€1500 for employer, balance for self to be paid online by card). I did take an extra step to call VM to confirm the bank details on the invoice (just in case of phishing/cybercrime type stuff) before I transferred the €1500 by bank transfer.

Had to drop them an email to follow up a few days later, but then got a pretty quick response from the lady who sent me the invoice originally to confirm order was placed. Set up MyVanMoof account and I can see my order there. No delivery date yet, but estimated date when placing an order online today is Nov 24th to Dec 12th or thereabouts.

Added the anti-theft package for 3 years (says it must be added at time of purchase). Bike insurance was €150-odd per year with ridiculous conditions (fixed locking point in shed, etc.) so this is a better "insurance" package for me at €290 for 3 years.

Can't wait to get the bike and start using it for occasional trips into office (when we get back there!) without having to worry about showers, etc. And also just for local trips instead of lazy option of jumping into the car to go anywhere!

Resisted temptation to bling out the bike with accessories... for now! :D

• Advertisement

conor_mc wrote: »
    Resisted temptation to bling out the bike with accessories... for now! :D

Same here, if it all pans out like the romcom version of commuting that I have in my head, then I’ll prob get the rear carrier and panniers at some point.

Also did the theft package, decent value for three years.

Same here, if it all pans out like the romcom version of commuting that I have in my head, then I’ll prob get the rear carrier and panniers at some point.

Also did the theft package, decent value for three years.

Very tempted to go for the front basket for the full-on Dutch bike look <<<< 10-year-old bmx’ing me shakes head in bewilderment

• Registered Users Posts: 35 johndbee66

This is excellent news. I've never used the CTW scheme but I think will be doing so for an S3! How exactly does the scheme work in practice? I get onto my HR or peoplepoint and they issue me a voucher then I give voucher to Vanmoof?
    Hi, did you invest in s3. One question if anything goes wrong with vanmoof is there anywhere in Ireland that will fix them? Thx

Still impatiently waiting for my S3 ordered back in September.

Delivery was recently pushed out a couple of weeks to 24 Dec. I'm not banking on that date either but it would be a nice Christmas present to myself if it did turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Clare_Culchie

johndbee66 wrote: »
    Hi, did you invest in s3. One question if anything goes wrong with vanmoof is there anywhere in Ireland that will fix them? Thx
    The nearest Vanmoof store is in London, so any warranty repairs mean sticking it back in its box and sending it back to the Netherlands (apparently that's free but you have to use the original box, which is very bulky, or you can order a replacement for €20.
    For general maintenance you can bring it in to any bike-shop as you would any other bike. Tires, chain, saddle, pedals can all be replaced with after-market parts. The bike-shops are getting more familiar with repairing the non-electric parts of electric-bikes and they all take cash so there shouldn't be a problem bringing in an ebike that you didn't buy in the store.

• Advertisement

The nearest Vanmoof store is in London, so any warranty repairs mean sticking it back in its box and sending it back to the Netherlands (apparently that's free but you have to use the original box, which is very bulky, or you can order a replacement for €20.
    For general maintenance you can bring it in to any bike-shop as you would any other bike. Tires, chain, saddle, pedals can all be replaced with after-market parts. The bike-shops are getting more familiar with repairing the non-electric parts of electric-bikes and they all take cash so there shouldn't be a problem bringing in an ebike that you didn't buy in the store.

I suspect/hope/am taking a punt that there’ll be a Dublin store before too long given their recent round of investment.

Also, they can and do send out replacement parts (e.g. entire e-shifter mechanism) and have even added YouTube vids recently on how to replace yourself (or ask a friendly bike mechanic). It’s obviously been a pain point for them.

Also, they can and do send out replacement parts (e.g. entire e-shifter mechanism) and have even added YouTube vids recently on how to replace yourself (or ask a friendly bike mechanic). It’s obviously been a pain point for them.
    This is true, but I've seen a number of posts on the VanMOOFING FB group by owners who were sent replacement parts but weren't able to do the repair themselves (a cable disappeared down a tube, for example). It'd be much more preferable for us to be able to drop it into a VM-certified (if not owned) repair shop. It seems though, from an interview with I think Taco in September with The Verge, that they will be leveraging the gig-economy to provide a network of "Bike Doctors". They wouldn't have to be bike-mechanics, just people who are trained specifically to repair issues specific to Vanmoof bikes. They'd come to you, like the AA for bikes.
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/16/21437704/vanmoof-interview-s3-electric-bike-issues-delays-mobile-service-network

I think we’re much more likely to have the bike doctor solution here rather than a full store.

I’m always conscious that disgruntled owners make most noise too, and live in hope that most people (including myself!) will have incident free ownership.

bilasy wrote: »

@bilasy Did you get sorted? Sorry I didn't get back to you at the time. My finance dept processed the payment, I don't think they bothered setting VM as a "new supplier" as the cost was under €2k. I paid the rest directly online. As a result I've two receipts, the first for my office and the second for me. I put the order through in late September, the bike is due to be delivered next weekend.

@bilasy Did you get sorted? Sorry I didn't get back to you at the time. My finance dept processed the payment, I don't think they bothered setting VM as a "new supplier" as the cost was under €2k. I paid the rest directly online. As a result I've two receipts, the first for my office and the second for me. I put the order through in late September, the bike is due to be delivered next weekend.

@clare_Culchie
    Hi, no it is not sorted yet the deadline for the scheme to apply was end of September ,work insists to add VM to the supplier list and VM to create Irish tax number ,VM are very reluctant to do same as if it’s not worth it. Make long story short I found out that I can get the bike through travel hub so I requested VM for a fresh quote, on first week of January will submit the order through travel hub and Take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Got my X3 yesterday, and thankfully 99% of it was fully intact and working. Sadly, one tiny component was broken, the torx screw that tightens the seat post was sheared at the top:

NkAUzeN.jpg

At least it's a common Torx screw, so hopefully it will be very easy to replace. I took it out for a spin this evening anyway, and while it was a bit uncomfortable to not be at the correct seat height, it's a wonderful thing to ride on. The turbo boost button in particular really takes away any heavy effort.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Got my X3 yesterday, and thankfully 99% of it was fully intact and working. Sadly, one tiny component was broken, the torx screw that tightens the seat post was sheared at the top:

At least it's a common Torx screw, so hopefully it will be very easy to replace. I took it out for a spin this evening anyway, and while it was a bit uncomfortable to not be at the correct seat height, it's a wonderful thing to ride on. The turbo boost button in particular really takes away any heavy effort.

Well wear!!! That’s a nuisance but VM seem to be pretty good at sending out replacement parts now by most accounts.

Well wear!!! That’s a nuisance but VM seem to be pretty good at sending out replacement parts now by most accounts.

Yeah, hopefully it won't be too much of a problem, although I'd imagine responses will be slow at the minute. I could maybe even replace it with a generic 6mm bolt, I dunno if the threads would be standard.

Anyway, thankfully it's still very usable even with the awkward seating position - it's not like I really need to pump the legs!

Another delay in mine today thanks to the Boris related carnage next door. Now says February but they hope it will improve!

Another delay in mine today thanks to the Boris related carnage next door. Now says February but they hope it will improve!

Still original delivery date of Jan 6th for me... but wouldn’t be surprised at a further delay after hearing your news.

• Advertisement

Weirdly mine (X3 light blue) was a lot faster than expected - order confirmed Nov 10th, and the confirmation said “delivery is expected between the 12th of January and the 5th of February 2021”

Then suddenly on 15th December I got the shipping notification and it arrived on the 18th!

Still don’t have my front basket or rear pannier mind you. Plus the broken seat post bolt.

Weirdly mine (X3 light blue) was a lot faster than expected - order confirmed Nov 10th, and the confirmation said “delivery is expected between the 12th of January and the 5th of February 2021”

Then suddenly on 15th December I got the shipping notification and it arrived on the 18th!

Who do you know up in North Pole operations, eh?? 😉

Weirdly mine (X3 light blue) was a lot faster than expected

I think it’s a total lottery. They probably do a Tesla and make them in batches of model and colour, so if you happen to order what’s there then you get lucky.

I’m waiting for a blue S3, I’m sure that’s less common than the black.

Mind you, I did order in September. Fingers crossed it’s sooner than Feb, was meant to be here next week.

I see recently vanmoof have now re stricted all eu bikes, Can these be reset to usa settings as top speed is 25kmh. Anybody know?

johndbee66 wrote: »
    I see recently vanmoof have now re stricted all eu bikes, Can these be reset to usa settings as top speed is 25kmh. Anybody know?

I’ve read you can reset it to US by using a VPN when you register the bike on the app.

Doesn’t seem to be too difficult to change it.

Not that I would of course, what with it being illegal etc. Mr Garda.

Of course not, i would not expect anything less. But if anyone does do it, can ye private message me how not to do it, just in case i accidentally do

Contacted VM support today as expected delivery date of Jan 6th and still no shipping notification, only to be told all Ireland shipping is via UK and best guess was late February! They’re waiting for UPS to find a better solution, maybe the new ferry route via Dunkirk will help.

Very tempted now to cancel my order though, it’s getting ridiculous at this stage that they aren’t even communicating a further two-month delay - I had to email them myself to find out!

• Advertisement

I got a fairly generic response from them last week asking me to follow up with them this week if I haven't heard anything more.

You seem to have got some additional info there. I'll get back on to them this week.

My delivery date still says 16 Feb, was meant to be early Dec originally, then 28 Dec.

Advertisement