Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭User1998

NCT for 162 is due in July at the earliest. Check the registration date on the logbook and thats the month it will be due. If its a UK import its probably September

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Lads over here and Uk and just want to advise newbie Uk buyers like me that the garages really will not budge off the retail prices!!! That’s the price , fully stop!! And I’m finding that there’s a lot of salespeople here that really couldn’t give a ****!!! I went to an Evan halshaw dealership today and he hadn’t a ****ing clue about his car or did he want to bother looking .... I actually thought him more about it !!!.. and he had two different reports with different co2 emissions for the car !!! Be careful!

Anyways just wondering ... a car I looked at says Jan 14 and is 63 plate which commences sept 13 to feb 14... if i brought that car in would that definitely be taken as Jan 2014 or is there a danger that could be taken as 13 and worth less as result!?

Question 2... anyone know why 14 X5 engines have 254 bhp vs later 258bhp yet have same 0-60 and top speeds ? The co2 is 164 vs 158 also... as far as I know it is the same engine so what changed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

I'm hoping to buy a car from the UK and the seller has shown me a copy of the V5C but there's lots of information missing from it. It doesn't even have the model or anything, it just says Toyota for the make and the rest of the sections for the model and type etc. are just blank. It also shows 0 for the co2. I'm just wondering if this will likely be a lot of hassle with getting the correct VRT rate?

Also, under the tax class it says Private/Light Goods (PLG). Does anyone know what that means?

The car was originally imported into the UK from Japan if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

LillySV wrote: »
    Lads over here and Uk and just want to advise newbie Uk buyers like me that the garages really will not budge off the retail prices!!! That’s the price , fully stop!! And I’m finding that there’s a lot of salespeople here that really couldn’t give a ****!!! I went to an Evan halshaw dealership today and he hadn’t a ****ing clue about his car or did he want to bother looking .... I actually thought him more about it !!!.. and he had two different reports with different co2 emissions for the car !!! Be careful!

Anyways just wondering ... a car I looked at says Jan 14 and is 63 plate which commences sept 13 to feb 14... if i brought that car in would that definitely be taken as Jan 2014 or is there a danger that could be taken as 13 and worth less as result!?

Question 2... anyone know why 14 X5 engines have 254 bhp vs later 258bhp yet have same 0-60 and top speeds ? The co2 is 164 vs 158 also... as far as I know it is the same engine so what changed ?

Have you checked the Nox on those? I assume they could be huge??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

X5 built from June 2014 would be Euro6

L-M wrote: »
    Have you checked the Nox on those? I assume they could be huge??

Yea keep checking the nox excel sheet for everything !
    Audi q7s are out of the equation so considering X5 or 15 onwards Touareg

The spreadsheet isn’t a guarantee of anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,426 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The v5 will say date first registered on, this will determine the registration of the car here. If it's a non NIRL car you can put the reg in to the MOT website and it will tell you when it was first registered https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭deezell

....Anyways just wondering ... a car I looked at says Jan 14 and is 63 plate which commences sept 13 to feb 14... if i brought that car in would that definitely be taken as Jan 2014 or is there a danger that could be taken as 13 and worth less as result!?

Run the uk reg on the DVLA site to confirm month of registration. Afaik its Sept. to Feb inclusive for 6x regs, March to August for 1x. If the month of reg of a 63 reg is Sept to Dec, car will be a 13 here, if its Jan or Feb it will be a 14 reg here. Same goes for later years when we introduced split year reg, so a uk 65 reg can be 152 or 161 here, and a uk 15 reg can be 151 or 152 here.

Regarding the 2014 X5, are you referring to the 2.0 Diesel? This changed engine from the innovative but troublesome N47 to the M47 in 2014. The N47 was the one with doomed timing chains, requiring complete engine removal to replace (assuming you didn't ignore the chatter and let your chain break, destroying the engine). You could be referring to the 2l petrol hybrid 14 engine, about which I know nothing, but car variants will often have tweaked output and slightly different emissions depending on configuration, tuning, tyres etc. From the emissions you quote, Im assumimg it's the 2l diesels.

deezell wrote: »
    Run the uk reg on the DVLA site to confirm month of registration. Afaik its Sept. to Feb inclusive for 6x regs, March to August for 1x. If the month of reg of a 63 reg is Sept to Dec, car will be a 13 here, if its Jan or Feb it will be a 14 reg here. Same goes for later years when we introduced split year reg, so a uk 65 reg can be 152 or 161 here, and a uk 15 reg can be 151 or 152 here.

Regarding the 2014 X5, are you referring to the 2.0 Diesel? This changed engine from the innovative but troublesome N47 to the M47 in 2014. The N47 was the one with doomed timing chains, requiring complete engine removal to replace (assuming you didn't ignore the chatter and let your chain break, destroying the engine). You could be referring to the 2l petrol hybrid 14 engine, about which I know nothing, but car variants will often have tweaked output and slightly different emissions depending on configuration, tuning, tyres etc. From the emissions you quote, Im assumimg it's the 2l diesels.

No X5 30d

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    X5 built from June 2014 would be Euro6

Sorry only seeing this now ... so I’d have to buy car from June 14 to be euro 6? That’s the 158co2 difference so ? U don’t happen to know what the change is physically to engine to allow that ??? Just curious to difference

Not a clue, I just remember reading about cars which were Euro6 compliant earlier than necessary. It may have been when they changed engine to the B47 from the N47

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭amf78

Is the Pope a Catholic?
    Not just to boost new car sales, but to inflate used car prices, making it 'affordable' to trade up.
    Dealers were all for importing if it could have been restricted to them. People here have noted the attempted restrictive practice by some BMW UK franchises to refuse export to private importers.

I wouldn't have anything against importing being restricted to them.
    But first they need to stop competing with loan sharks as far as markup is concerned (though in fairness they have a lot to learn from landlords).
    Second, the government needs to scrap the VRT, or cut it down to a few tens of euros, as it's currently being done in most of Europe. You know, like that old fashioned idea of free circulation of goods within the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The "free circulation goods within the EU" card gets mentioned alot here but some people don't seem to understand what that means. There is nothing stopping you buying a car from anywhere in Europe, your not being restricted in doing that. VRT is however an additional registration tax if you want to permanently bring it into Ireland. Other EU countries have their version of VRT, for some it's a small fixed amount while for other countries it's a good bit more expensive that what we pay here. Check out how much the Danes pay for their equivalent.

amf78 wrote: »
    But first they need to stop competing with loan sharks as far as markup is concerned (though in fairness they have a lot to learn from landlords).
    Second, the government needs to scrap the VRT, or cut it down to a few tens of euros, as it's currently being done in most of Europe. You know, like that old fashioned idea of free circulation of goods within the EU.

Where is this being done in most of Europe? Cos I can give you a list as long as my arm of European countries that have registration taxes, Ireland sitting somewhere in the middle in terms of cost.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The "free circulation goods within the EU" card gets mentioned alot here but some people don't seem to understand what that means. There is nothing stopping you buying a car from anywhere in Europe, your not being restricted in doing that. VRT is however an additional registration tax if you want to permanently bring it into Ireland. Other EU countries have their version of VRT, for some it's a small fixed amount while for other countries it's a good bit more expensive that what we pay here. Check out how much the Danes pay for their equivalent.
    I could be mistaken, but didn't VRT replaced the excise/customs duty (which existed until 1992)? If so, changing its name doesn't change what it is.
    I'm aware that similar "schemes" exist in other EU states. Last time I looked into this, 16 out of 27 EU states had it. But the key thing is that the majority of those 16 countries charge tens or hundreds of euros at most.
    You mention Danes... Finns pay comparable amounts, and have you seen their cars? I'm not sure you'd like to see something like that in Ireland. When you pay and arm and a leg for a car (whether locally or abroad), guess what most people end up doing? And I don't mean walking more or taking the bus...
    Cos I can give you a list as long as my arm of European countries that have registration taxes, Ireland sitting somewhere in the middle in terms of cost.
    Let's not exaggerate. Unless you have extremely short arms, you don't need the full length of your arm to write down all Eu member states, let alone those who have VRT. If you take into account all countries in Europe you add a few more, but even then...

I’m writing them lengthways

:D good one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

short arms and long pockets I reckon.

• Advertisement

amf78 wrote: »
    But first they need to stop competing with loan sharks as far as markup is concerned (though in fairness they have a lot to learn from landlords)......

That's an interesting comment re loan sharks. Garages could easily bump their margins using complex finance agreements, which cost a lot more than a loan from the credit union. Attractively priced cars worked out very expensive when you had baloon payments, early redemption penalties (if you wanted to trade in while there was a few months left on your existing loan), and my favourite, the three year loan which looked attractive till you realised there were 37, not 36 monthly payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Quick question;

Heading over on Thursday 8am Liverpool flight to buy in Chester and hoping to be back on the Holyhead 14:00 ferry.

I assume once I have the log book and it states the car is being exported if I get stopped with no tax this should be ok right? Or should I get a letter from dealership stating I just bought?

Quick question;

Heading over on Thursday 8am Liverpool flight to buy in Chester and hoping to be back on the Holyhead 14:00 ferry.

I assume once I have the log book and it states the car is being exported if I get stopped with no tax this should be ok right? Or should I get a letter from dealership stating I just bought?
    V5 Log book wont be altered. Dealer may fill in and remove the export slip, but thats not of consequence. Youll have the sales invoice wirh your non UK address, and your ferry booking.
    The only reason you might be concerned about being stopped is because the car is not road taxed. Most dealers will advise/insist on this, a full year which you can refund, or a year on monthly standing order, (only works with UK accounts or now with revolut), which you can cancel. It can be a trivial amount, £20 for a year for low emissions like a C class 2.2D.
    You can just drive the car to the ferry and chance it, worst that could happen is its impounded, but more likely be waved on.

Yeah my only concern is tax. The car I’m buying is a ex-demo A5 4.0tsfi sline 2019 with 11k miles on it and I think the tax is out on it/or probably never taxed. If they insist on it is it something they can help me with or do I just ring DVLA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

Yeah my only concern is tax. The car I’m buying is a ex-demo A5 4.0tsfi sline 2019 with 11k miles on it and I think the tax is out on it/or probably never taxed. If they insist on it is it something they can help me with or do I just ring DVLA?

The dealer helped me with tax on the day. They had all the paperwork ready and we drove down to the post office. I bought 6 months and apparently there's a way to get 5 months back as soon as its marked as exported. The post office bit took about 5 minutes - I'd recommend asking them to have the paper work ready.

I think motor tax is not transferable, but the DVLA records of export/ change of owner wont be updated by the time you hit the ferry, if it was a private sale it would be recorded as taxed. Garage will do tax online and you can pay them. A5 4.0 tfsi might be a bit more than £20pa.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Do you mean Audi A5 40 tfsi?

mickdw wrote: »
    Do you mean Audi A5 40 tfsi?

yeah sorry part tiredness and part force of habit, engine is a 2.0 petrol.

yeah sorry part tiredness and part force of habit, engine is a 2.0 petrol.

Annual tax is £145, £80 for six months, but if the car was over £40k new, its an extra £320 from year 2 to 6, so if you're into second tax year in 2020, that's £465. Not sure if its all refundable on export, or just the portion of the £145.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crystalbrite

Have we lost the main sticky post on the front 1st page?

There's now only 9 pages in total for this thread that I can see.
    Did it run over a max number of pages limit?

From the revenue link below it says car imported car must be registered within 30 days, otherwise fines will be applied.

"Additional VRT is charged when a vehicle is not registered within 30 days"

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/calculating-vrt/additional-vrt.aspx

I have also seen from link below that you must have your car booked in for an appointment at the NCTS within 7 days of its arrival in Ireland for a VRT inspection.

Is there a fine if I'm later than the 7 days?
    The way things are working out is that I might have the car imported while I'm out of the country. I may not be able to get it done within the 7 days but I will be able to pay VET etc. within the 30 days.

"An appointment to have your vehicle inspected must be made within 7 days of the vehicle entering the State in order to register and pay the VRT (and any other tax liabilities due on the vehicle). You must then complete the registration process within 30 days of arriving in the State."

https://www.ncts.ie/1155

• Advertisement

I read that as you just have to make the appointment within seven days and then complete it within the 30 days. You don’t have to have the car inspected within seven days but within 30. The VRT is due when you have the car inspected at the nct centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭peneau

I had my VRT assessment on Friday last in Tallaght. I Imported from UK on February 7th and I booked the VRT appointment online on the 8th February. I choose 21 February as my preferred appointment date brought the car up on Friday morning, car was inspected (that took about 5 minutes), paid the VRT+Nox amount, whole process was completed in less than 30 minutes.

Have we lost the main sticky post on the front 1st page?

There's now only 9 pages in total for this thread that I can see.
    Did it run over a max number of pages limit?

Is anyone else seeing this or just me?
    Does a new sticky need to be made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Is anyone else seeing this or just me?
    Does a new sticky need to be made?

Seems to be only 9 pages starting in mid february now.

Lads the exchange rate is .8541p to a euro this morning vs .82 p over a week ago... should any potential buyers be changing their currency over now!? I feel greedy and thinking it might get better again! Makes a massive difference....I very nearly bought something last week while in uk for 20k... I reckon it would be 5-600 quid cheaper this week now!

Exchange when you’re ready to buy and not on weekends (Revolut lowers their rate to cover major fluctuations on weekends).

Whilst the savings might be good you’re better off not thinking about it all too much cause otherwise you’d never buy and you’d hold off for it to get a little bit better again and again.

Exchange when you’re ready to buy and not on weekends (Revolut lowers their rate to cover major fluctuations on weekends).

Whilst the savings might be good you’re better off not thinking about it all too much cause otherwise you’d never buy and you’d hold off for it to get a little bit better again and again.

Who was the dealer you bought from Chester and you find em good?

Lads the exchange rate is .8541p to a euro this morning vs .82 p over a week ago... should any potential buyers be changing their currency over now!? I feel greedy and thinking it might get better again! Makes a massive difference....I very nearly bought something last week while in uk for 20k... I reckon it would be 5-600 quid cheaper this week now!

I'm planning on purchasing in the next few days too. Not sure whether to exchange now or next Monday :confused:

Has anyone signed up for revolut premium, done the transfer and then cancelled after?
    I heard there was a cancellation fee but they don't back charge you for any exchanges you made do they?

Who was the dealer you bought from Chester and you find em good?

Audi Chesire Oaks. I found them ok tbh not great but not terrible either. They were super stingy, no discount not even a tank of fuel best they could do was 10L of fuel. The final bill came to £xx,x15, and they wouldn't even not that £15 off. The car wasn't valet I thought it would be and there's a small nick in the squidgey material in the back door interior (nothing major).

However I bloody _love_ the car, I picked it up at 10am yesterday and I've had a permanent smile on my face since.

504065.jpg

504066.jpg

Audi Chesire Oaks. I found them ok tbh not great but not terrible either. They were super stingy, no discount not even a tank of fuel best they could do was 10L of fuel. The final bill came to £xx,x15, and they wouldn't even not that £15 off. The car wasn't valet I thought it would be and there's a small nick in the squidgey material in the back door interior (nothing major).

However I bloody _love_ the car, I picked it up at 10am yesterday and I've had a permanent smile on my face since.
    The tfsi engine is a joy, I had it in my previous A6 coupled to the multitronic (CVT) transmission, which unfortunately went out of production after 2010. The DSG is still a fine replacement. You'll be at high risk of collecting tickets with the addictive acceleration , especially in S mode, assuming it's an auto box. Njoy!

• Advertisement

The tfsi engine is a joy, I had it in my previous A6 coupled to the multitronic (CVT) transmission, which unfortunately went out of production after 2010. The DSG is still a fine replacement. You'll be at high risk of collecting tickets with the addictive acceleration , especially in S mode, assuming it's an auto box. Njoy!

It's an auto, well semi-auto technically. I'm still taking it easy with it for the time being getting used to a bigger sized car (was a 116i before this). Looking forward to doing some good driving in this thing :pac:

504065.jpg

504066.jpg

Nice machine. Unfortunately they all like that on the money ... alot of em under the same group .... Evan halshaw, Stratton.... etc.... afew sales guys told me they can’t.... prices set by around 80 guys in Nottingham who constantly monitor prices

Nice machine. Unfortunately they all like that on the money ... alot of em under the same group .... Evan halshaw, Stratton.... etc.... afew sales guys told me they can’t.... prices set by around 80 guys in Nottingham who constantly monitor prices

yup I was happy enough paying what I paid, was about €2000 cheaper than similarly specced cars in the UK and about €7000 cheaper than similarly specced cars in N.I. and the kicker, similarly specced car is about €43-45k in Ireland, after everything I'll land this for approximately €37k.

yup I was happy enough paying what I paid, was about €2000 cheaper than similarly specced cars in the UK and about €7000 cheaper than similarly specced cars in N.I. and the kicker, similarly specced car is about €43-45k in Ireland, after everything I'll land this for approximately €37k.

I think there’s great savings on changing over petrol machines to here as nox isn’t an issue and vrt isn’t bad on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think there’s great savings on changing over petrol machines to here as nox isn’t an issue and vrt isn’t bad on them

The flip side is that a diesel might be cheaper to buy in the UK as they are not in vogue.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The flip side is that a diesel might be cheaper to buy in the UK as they are not in vogue.

Not cheap enough for me last week when I was there! Haha ... might be cheaper in March perhaps

I'm planning on purchasing in the next few days too. Not sure whether to exchange now or next Monday :confused:

Has anyone signed up for revolut premium, done the transfer and then cancelled after?
    I heard there was a cancellation fee but they don't back charge you for any exchanges you made do they?

Sorry only seen this now. I signed up last week thinking I would definitely be buying car then ....anyways when signing up I followed instructions where I had to pick a card type to be sent out...
    went to cancel card yesterday before 14 days are up and having used none of the premium features... thought they couldn’t charge me... 25 euro card fee they want to cancel!!! And while talking to them in web chat (which took over two days to find out what the charge was for -the card) a guy says I shouldn’t have followed that upgrade guide ... he reckoned there was another way where you don’t have to follow their promps and order a card... in that case you wouldn’t then have to pay for the card.... I upgraded on the app the only way I seen and I had to order the card then!
    Anyways I’ll stick with the 12 months subscription as The 25 quid charge equates to 3 and a half months charge and the difference in the other 9 months I’d have to pay would be less than what fee I’m likely to be charged if I did downgrade and then decide to use their transfer services to buy car in a month or two time. I am pissed about the way they did it and their 25 pound fee for a card though!! I remember others here mentioning transferwise before...Look into that option too ... I’m sorry I didn’t

Sorry only seen this now. I signed up last week thinking I would definitely be buying car then ....anyways when signing up I followed instructions where I had to pick a card type to be sent out...
    went to cancel card yesterday before 14 days are up and having used none of the premium features... thought they couldn’t charge me... 25 euro card fee they want to cancel!!! And while talking to them in web chat (which took over two days to find out what the charge was for -the card) a guy says I shouldn’t have followed that upgrade guide ... he reckoned there was another way where you don’t have to follow their promps and order a card... in that case you wouldn’t then have to pay for the card.... I upgraded on the app the only way I seen and I had to order the card then!
    Anyways I’ll stick with the 12 months subscription as The 25 quid charge equates to 3 and a half months charge and the difference in the other 9 months I’d have to pay would be less than what fee I’m likely to be charged if I did downgrade and then decide to use their transfer services to buy car in a month or two time. I am pissed about the way they did it and their 25 pound fee for a card though!! I remember others here mentioning transferwise before...Look into that option too ... I’m sorry I didn’t

I think I made the same mistake you did, card ordered even though I didn't want another one. I'm going to buy a car anyway on Monday so it'll be worth it for that and I've also some other stuff in a month or two that I'll need it for. Was hoping to cancel it after that for what I thought might be a 14e.

I think I made the same mistake you did, card ordered even though I didn't want another one. I'm going to buy a car anyway on Monday so it'll be worth it for that and I've also some other stuff in a month or two that I'll need it for. Was hoping to cancel it after that for what I thought might be a 14e.

Exactly, if it makes the car purchase process easier, then frig it. U have deposit on a car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭travist

Is there any problem to import from UK if the car was previously a Japanese, or say Isle of Man, import to GB?

Advertisement