Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather Forum Zero Tolerance Policy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

I'm always reading the posts but don't have much to contribute as it's all very technical.
    I enjoy it tho and read every day.
    It's good to see su campu back again and I hope any other members who left come back.
    Just ignore people who troll.
    I could rant here but il stay whissht.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

TURRICAN wrote: »
    I'm always reading the posts but don't have much to contribute as it's all very technical.
    It's good to see su campu back again and I hope any other members who left come back.
    Thanks.

I dont know much,doesnt stop me from posting though:p but that mightnt necessarily be a good thing...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

bb1234567 wrote: »
    TURRICAN wrote: »
    Thanks.

I dont know much,doesnt stop me from posting though:p but that mightnt necessarily be a good thing...:o

That's why I don't 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I've noticed that the weather forum has also lost a couple of other valued members in addition to Su Campu, at least it seems that way ... Deep Easterly and "thetonynator" have not been posting recently.

I hope there wasn't a related set of issues for all three of them. Some trolling can include off-forum personal messages and stalking, as well as impersonations. I've had to deal with this on other forums (not all weather related) where I've been a moderator. If any of these missing guys happen to look in and read this, please review any such correspondence and verify the source.

It's too bad that one or two infrequent posters can create this sort of havoc, or even potentially if more active members take up trolling under assumed names. However, this is more or less an unfortunate "given" of the internet world and we have to work around it, taking whatever action we can to eliminate the sources. We also need to be vigilant about possible harassment of female and younger members. I'm sure that boards.ie in general must have policies about this kind of activity so the weather forum would be no different there.

I checked Deep Easterly and his account is still open and his last post was only 3 days ago so im sure hell be back soon. But tonynators account is closed unfortunately...

Looks like we've lost wolfeire though.......... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

thomasj wrote: »
    Looks like we've lost wolfeire though.......... :(

Ah for the sake of jaysus ! Whats going on ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

Looks like we've lost wolfeire though

New weather site coming online perhaps ?

He's still tweeting though.;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Even when setting up IWO he still maintained a presence here ,

Looks like his account is closed , was on this morning and is gone now .

Wonder whats going on lately , loosing a lot of good people :(

188773.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

That's bizzare! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

DOCARCH wrote: »
    That's bizzare! :confused:

New mod account being set up?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Well, to be fair, nothing much has happened in the way of unpleasantness in the past week to account for Wolfie leaving!

Must be for a completely different reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, nothing much has happened in the way of unpleasantness in the past week to account for Wolfie leaving!

Must be for a completely different reason?

That's out of the blue alright. Must be some explanation. Huge loss to this site.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Wolfie had made some great contributions since his return to the forum after his self imposed hiatus to Irish Weather Online. Seems strange to close an account altogether without warning or a goodbye. The lack of cold this Winter is messing with peoples minds i think ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

This doesn't seem to be working. There is still alot of rubbish being posted. It's a shame, the weather forum is the reason I joined Boards but I've been put off it recently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Wolfie had made some great contributions since his return to the forum after his self imposed hiatus to Irish Weather Online. Seems strange to close an account altogether without warning or a goodbye. The lack of cold this Winter is messing with peoples minds i think ;)

Maybe Irish Weather Online is making a comeback? :)

I miss that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Although I don't post much on the weather forum, I did like it here, good technical discussions about the weather, some banter, and good insight into how to read models.

I am sure nobody will notice as I slip out the door but, like all good things it must come to an end. It was fun, looking for the next storm, will it snow, will it ever be sunny, this model is better than your model, but now I think it is time to let go, the forum has changed, no longer fun, entertaining or informative, as normal ruined for everyone by the minority.

Good luck with zero tolerance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I saw it posted in one thread that there are people with egos, referring to the people who actually who know what they are talking about, we all know the people we like to see posting because of their quality over quantity of posts, so here is my opinion.

I have posted on this forum for a while now, there are people who have contributed to this forum for a long time and have a good read of what the charts are saying. I look at the charts and I get an idea of what they are saying will likely be or predicted to be the weather.
    However I would not start a topic on it as I know there are others whose knowledge is far greater and if it is worth doing a topic about it, they will do a topic on it.
    Sometimes they are wrong, but at least they go into detail as to what the charts were telling them at a particular time and use more than one of the weather model forecasts and use other sources of information to build up their case.

No offense to any of the newer posters here, some are fine, some are too over enthusiastic when it comes to snow and hardship in my opinion but and this is important, there are poeple on this forum whose word is far more valued than others, who do quality rather than quantity when it comes to posts.
    I don't post a lot as I believe quality is better than quantity and even at that I would not say I post quality posts, but I read this forum a lot and there is a lot of rubbish posted at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Just a suggestion which the mods may or may not go with.....

There is a lot of dissatisfaction apparent in several threads with recent postings. There is no consistency to the complaints really - some complain of irrelevant posting, some complain of being patronised, etc, etc, etc. I'm not going into the rights and wrongs of it. Suffice it to say several of the very best posters on here in terms of knowledge are leaving, have left or seem like they are thinking of leaving / pearing back. That's no good.

Thankfully the present model guidance suggests there is cold weather a week away. Fingers crossed. If so its going to get busier around here as the week goes on. At the moment there are at least 4 threads you could reasonably use about the potential for snow next weekend. Its confusing me and I doubt I'm alone.

How about the Mods set up 2 threads now. I think you've done something similiar before. The first should be something like - "Late Jan / Early Feb cold spell - forecast discussion only". The second should be ""Late Jan / Early Feb cold spell - general discussion". That way people can choose where, and at what level, they post. I think it will also lead to less loses of temper and consequent fights. Moreover it will allow those of us that know nowt (me) but want to hear from the well known and knowlegdeable posters here (MTC, Su Campu, Darkman, Deep easterly, Nacho Libre, Harps, Redsunset, maquiladora, blackius, villain, mickyger..., iancarn29, etc, etc, you know who you are) to do so without having to read about irrelevant matters whilst those who want to have a chat about both weather and other matters tangental to weather can do so, without being given out to, in the chat forum.

To be honest the lack of posting here today, with the models as interesting as they are, is not indicative of a healthy forum. This might help.

I have no idea why Wolfire hung up his weather charts this week. Very very big loss. Maybe it was coincidental. All I know is this forum can little afford to lose posters of that calibre.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭garyha

Agreed, the place is a mess. I think people may be fatigued with the non-event for this weekend, the charts are clearly showing something decent from midweek. The thread's should be tidied up and a new one created for next week onwards.
    I have no idea why Wolfire hung up his weather charts this week. Very very big loss.

Any thoughts?

I think I know, but i'd most likely get banned for saying it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

I agree Rebel, something needs to be done or the forum will keep going down hill.

My own interpretation of what happens is that people get really annoyed when something that is forecast doesn't occur. This of course is totally ridiculous, anyone who is a regular here knows that this forum is all about looking at possibilities of what might happen, and it's ok if those forecast possibilities don't always play out. Some people (who aren't even regulars) seem to get pure joy out of coming on here to say "I told ya so", they seem to wallow in pointing out that some possible forecast or another didn't happen as expected, when in reality NOBODY CARES. The people who come here regularly aren't here because they want a definite forecast, but merely because they have some kind of interest in weather of all kinds, and it's a fantastic place to come and see all the input from the experts.

I'm glad Su is back posting because his input was a real loss when he wasn't here, but I have to say I miss him now as a mod. He was very active and was always on the ball when things went off topic. I didn't actually realise how hard modding this forum was until just before he left, and my eyes have been opened since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Rebel, I think it comes down to a choice - do we want the board like it was this time last year or like it is now? This board is being trolled. They know who they are and they know what they are doing.

Incidentally I agree with the premise of the OP but I don't agree myself with some hierarchy of posters either. That is not fair IMO. If posters post sensibly, constructively and with respect for others then there are no problems. Nobody here has a problem with criticism. I think everyone welcomes criticism that is constructive and not designed to patronise or demean contributers. When Su Campu, for example, has an issue with one of my posts or I have an issue with his I will debate it with him and charts etc will be posted. That is a very good exercise because rather then diminishing any forecast it makes it better and more solid. And it is interesting and hopefully informative for posters and lurkers. That is the way it should be. Maybe a non weather sticky thread is required or something. It's unfortunate for those who have either just seen this as a fun place to visit or an excellent resource.

This place was absolutely fine not too long ago. Unfortunately with any forum or board targeted by trolling this is beyond the comprehension of those causing problems.

Ultimately that just ruins it for everyone and encourages genuine posters to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Diamond Dust

fizzycyst wrote: »
    Some people (who aren't even regulars) seem to get pure joy out of coming on here to say "I told ya so", they seem to wallow in pointing out that some possible forecast or another didn't happen as expected, when in reality NOBODY CARES.

Here a long time on boards but not much of a poster and I agree with fizzycyst on the above point, there are 3 members who continue to do the above and are really bringing down the forum. It needs to addressed. No need for this sarcasm and belittling of other members. I love the chit chat be it about mild or cold and cannot understand this carry on at all.

Rebelbrowser some good ideas there by you and hope something is done and we get back members who were great contributors to the boards!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The forum is absolutely civilised for 8 months of the year and gets fractious between 1 November and 28 Feb only. Anyone who does not appear to join the snow groupthink gets shouted down or accused of being a public enemy or accused of trolling. And the place is so grim and humourless during those months.

The Forecast Thread idea is genius Rebelbrowser, select a few of the better forecasts from hither and yon in chat threads, start and copy into a thread with them to kick it off and lock it down to forecasts only.

Meanwhile every thread is logically a chat thread ...until there is something happening and the forecast thread kicks into action.

Consensus on when to start a forecast thread is when Su MT, the Mods, Nilhg and a few more of the better forecasters start to see the sameish pattern forming and post their thoughts on it. By consensus I do not mean outright agreement...sure that would be no fun. :)

Anyway the mods can call it....if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭garyha

banter is great but think of the context, it's the weather forum in the science category. model discussion threads are being taken over by nonsense, made up facts and that post about "Odds are said to be another Feb 1986, cold and dry." was just ridiculous.

maybe a breakaway forum called weather banter is what we need and you can go hang out there. people come here every day, a lot of lurkers to see what the models are saying, they don't care about crows and other crap.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The main problem for me and is VERY annoying, that some people out of nowhere come out with very snobby remarks and tries to take another poster down a notch regarding their views on the upcoming weather events, without ANY proof whatsoever to back up their views on the matter.

I like a bit of banter between two varying opinions (such as darkman and su), but a lot of new faces lately have just been sticking their head in without any knowledge/proof to back up their claims, and so it just comes out as utter trolls.

I'm all for a forecast and seperate discussion thread, but tbh I think its harder on the mods as they would have to either keep deleting off topic stuff that belongs in the other thread or moving posts from one place to another. There's always a few who think the same type of discussion is acceptable on both threads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Mods can delete anything of insufficient quality and unsupported by data and links in a forecast thread, I'd move nothing.

If a poster does it again in there ban them for a month. Forecast threads, once they exist are for forecasts. Chat threads are for opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I believe I replied to Su once, asking why not just delete the irrelevant posts!

While we're here. Whilst I love pictures, too many threads are being invaded with them ~ despite some already having been posted in their 'more' appropriate threads.

The two different level threads ~ has sort of worked form time to time. The last one though was messed up with cross posting and discussions continuing on both levels in both threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

I have to agree with the OP. As a long time lurker I would check in numerous times a day to see whats going on, and its very frustrating to see the trolling and stupid posts clogging up what should be and has been a source of good information and ideas about upcoming weather events.

I think maybe Su done something last year with a forecast discussion thread and a seperate chit/chat thread which if my memory serves me correctly worked out pretty well.

Anyways, Im just a lurker and thats just my two cents on it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I have been thinking about the athmosphere here on the forum and its hard to tell when the rot set in exactly, however its clear that the majority of people want things to go back to the fun and educational place that it used to be.

So here are a few suggestions as to how we do that..

1. Don't feed the throlls...a forum wide agreement to keep our heads and not loose it when these posters start stirring. Thats what feeds them in the first place. Indifference and ignoring are your best weapons, not replying asking them to justify themselves.

2. To continue to debate, argue and forecast with a tone of respect. I think the guideline of 'question the post not the poster' has gone a bit rusty here. That would hopefully return the forum to a place where fledgling forecasters have a chance to post their attempts at forecasting and engage in constructive debate thus learning from those more knowledgeable.

3. The 'Will it snow in my back yard ' issue... It seems to me that this particular type of poster seems to reddedn the blood of a few on here. Perhaps we adopt a strategy for dealing with this for the big events as they occur. Something indicated in the thread title that allows for these posters somewhere to post so that those annoyed with these types of posts can avoid :) and those that don't mind can pop in and give their opinion.

4. We may not agree with each others opinion of a particular weather type, however we can agree that they are entitled to hold that opinion, and that in no way detracts from our right to hold a different opinion.

5. And finally, a big thank you to all of you who patiently, repeatedly, and generously gave and continue to give of your knowledge and time to make this forum a place for weather lovers of all kinds. Whether your contribution is of valuable education on a chart, or a funny picture or comment, it takes allsorts to make this forum a fun, inviting and friendly place. Let's not loose it......
    Thanks
    Eskimocat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The downfall of this forum is not just down to random posters that blow in and out with the wind so to speak. Such posters don't bother me to much because they don't stick around.
    I think a large part of the downfall of this forum can be attributed to some regular posters on here who have upped the ante big time since the start of winter in order to antagonise anyone looking for snow which I may add is a lot of people.
    Before this winter I thought their posts were worth reading but not anymore..

Below is a charter which was created a few days ago on the teens and pre teens forum (which is an apt title for some of the behaviour on here)
    Orion wrote:
    Trolls
    What is a troll?
    A troll is a poster who posts in away to try get your goat.

How will a troll do this?
    By being annoying confrontational and antagonistic and saying it's just that my opinion differs.

What does a troll want?
    To disrupt a forum and upset the posters who post there.

Why does a troll do this?

For kicks, the more worked up you get the more fun a troll thinks it is.
    A successful troll will post something which is not enough to get them banned but the reactions of posters to it will get the poster banned and have posters turn on each other.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76501619

Seems to me that the successful trolls are sinking deeper into this forum while the people who complain about them are getting infractions or just avoid the forum altogether.
    If we can keep the threads on topic instead of making one big joke of it then we can move forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

eskimocat wrote: »
    I have been thinking about the athmosphere here on the forum and its hard to tell when the rot set in exactly, however its clear that the majority of people want things to go back to the fun and educational place that it used to be.

So here are a few suggestions as to how we do that..

1. Don't feed the throlls...a forum wide agreement to keep our heads and not loose it when these posters start stirring. Thats what feeds them in the first place. Indifference and ignoring are your best weapons, not replying asking them to justify themselves.

2. To continue to debate, argue and forecast with a tone of respect. I think the guideline of 'question the post not the poster' has gone a bit rusty here. That would hopefully return the forum to a place where fledgling forecasters have a chance to post their attempts at forecasting and engage in constructive debate thus learning from those more knowledgeable.

3. The 'Will it snow in my back yard ' issue... It seems to me that this particular type of poster seems to reddedn the blood of a few on here. Perhaps we adopt a strategy for dealing with this for the big events as they occur. Something indicated in the thread title that allows for these posters somewhere to post so that those annoyed with these types of posts can avoid :) and those that don't mind can pop in and give their opinion.

4. We may not agree with each others opinion of a particular weather type, however we can agree that they are entitled to hold that opinion, and that in no way detracts from our right to hold a different opinion.

5. And finally, a big thank you to all of you who patiently, repeatedly, and generously gave and continue to give of your knowledge and time to make this forum a place for weather lovers of all kinds. Whether your contribution is of valuable education on a chart, or a funny picture or comment, it takes allsorts to make this forum a fun, inviting and friendly place. Let's not loose it......
    Thanks
    Eskimocat

Well said Eskimocat!!
    There's not a lot to be added to what you've said except to reinforce your point regarding the trolls who are destroying this forum - ignore them and once they're no longer the centre of attention they'll disappear!

Tolerance, civility and respect for the views and contributions of others is all that's required to bring this forum back to what it was
    As a long time and once regular poster I really hope it happens. It's a real pity to see something that has given me such pleasure over the years degenerate into this mess!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement