Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather Forum Zero Tolerance Policy

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I don't post very often here but I lurk pretty much every day, and very much enjoy the forecast and chart analysis threads, I've learned so much from guys like Su Campu, MT, Weathercheck and others. I hope its only a temporary hiatus and you'll be back posting soon Su.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Darwin

I have to echo the sentiments of Zzippy too. I'm not a contributor either but visit the forum daily for MTs forecast and also to read the great contributions from others, and will particularly miss the great technical input from Su Campu.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Su, I'm a moderator outside boards.ie and have moderated elsewhere in the past.

I think you're a fine moderator and I hope you take up the reins here again before too long.

By all means have a rest if think you need it - but please do come back.

And please don't stop your posting, your experience helps to make this place what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

I have always found this aspect of boards of greater reliability than other weather forecasts. In extreme conditions as we have had over the last two years as well as checking MT`s forecasts I would also check what other posters were experiencing. Best of luck to Su Campu as I found the weather section to be of great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

I have always found su to be very friendly and helpfull he brings an air of realism when forecasts get a bit exciting and go ott, i for one will miss his input i can only hope he decides to come back very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

As it has become quite obvious Su u will be greatly missed. I for one am more of a lurker than a poster but even lurking will not be the same if the likes of yourself stop contributing. I have to admit i don't blame you for wanting to step down as a mod as imo it is a tough and thankless job and life is to short to be putting up with the crap that was regrettable rife here for some time:mad:...In saying that 99% of the time this forum is a joy and a place where the genuine weather fanatic can learn from the likes of yourself, mt, weathercheck, darkman etc..

In conclusion as a lover of weather, not an expert, keep posting as it will not be the same without your input:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 waytoowarm

Forum Mods: trogdor, Weathercheck

i hope its not the last we hear from su,a big loss for those who are very interested in the weather..............

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Thank you Su.

For the knowledge and the eye twisting charts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Thanks Su for all your knowledge and hopefully you will continue to post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

Thank you Su for parting with so much knowledge. I haven't been active here, just reading a lo,t and you have always provided an educated and level-headed approach to chart interpretation. No ramping of cold/warmth, just pure factual analysis - which is greatly appreciated. Thank you and good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Just to echo all other comments, I don't post here much but check in every day and it has to be one of the best forums for Weather obsessed, with great technical contributions mixed in with banter, fun and the odd Iancar storm chase :)

I hope you keep posting Su as learned a great deal from your posts on how to read charts and models. It is a shame that a small few would try and wreck the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭pauldry

SU...dont

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

Its a great shame a great mod feels they have to leave because of the actions of a few out and out idiots. Sorry to see yo go su make sure you come back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Su Campu wrote: »
    At my request I will be stepping down as a moderator of this forum.

I love the weather, be it warm or cold, cloudy or sunny, and this forum used to be a fun place for me, but the attitude of some posters towards me, both on and off the pitch, has increasingly generated more hassle than I am prepared to accept. I feel I have always tried to do my best towards this forum, but it has become a place I no longer enjoy, and I will be taking a break from it. It is for that reason that it would not be right to continue on as moderator.

There will be new replacement(s) taking up the reins, and I would echo Weathercheck's request that you get back to discussing the everchanging weather we have, and if a moderator has to take action, so be it - it will be for the good of the forum members and not a personal attack.

Fugs ache Su, was just looking for you for you own particular brand of expert knowledge. Stop lurking & come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I too am a lurker on this forum and dont contribute other than give my thanks. However this is my favourite forum and I am really disappointed that people, who have put so much time and effort into informing us novices on the upcoming weather, have been given such a hard time by a pathetic few.
    Just to let all the mods and contributors past and present know you jave way more supporters than you realise, I know lots of people who are not boards members but log on to the weather forum for updates as it is so reliable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Sad to see Su Campu leaving as a moderator. He is an excellent moderator and has not put a foot wrong on anything. His updates and knowledge are the most superb on this forum. Every post is a post we all want to read. I really hope, despite everything, he continues to post as enthusiastically as ever.

Su, with respect, you have done nothing wrong and have modded excellently and sensibly and I am far from the only one (earlier posts) who think you should seriously reconsider.

I have to say it's bizarre, given the subject matter of the forum, that a few choose to act silly and spoil it for contributors and lurkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Thats sad, I really liked su's posts. Is he gone for good like will he even post anymore, and could he become a mod again or was he fired or just chose to leave himself?Whos mod instead? Sorry for all the questions Im just a bit confused, I only heard su had even left just today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Thats sad, I really liked su's posts. Is he gone for good like will he even post anymore, and could he become a mod again or was he fired or just chose to leave himself?Whos mod instead? Sorry for all the questions Im just a bit confused, I only heard su had even left just today.

Why dont you read the thread?

Why dont you read the thread?

Ye I just did:o I take my post back, everythings cleared up now, I didnt think the thread would be about su but it sort of is, so now I understand. Really bad su is gone:(

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

The Mods on here along with most of the other contributers give a great insight into the weather patterns that vist our Island. As a pure observer for the last 6 months I have learnt a great deal on weather keep up the good work and Su come back always looked forward to your postings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Su Campu will be back. His passion for all things weather wise will see to that. The great thing about Su is, just when I thought I might be getting a handle on this weather lark, he'd disabuse you of that notion fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I've noticed that the weather forum has also lost a couple of other valued members in addition to Su Campu, at least it seems that way ... Deep Easterly and "thetonynator" have not been posting recently.

I hope there wasn't a related set of issues for all three of them. Some trolling can include off-forum personal messages and stalking, as well as impersonations. I've had to deal with this on other forums (not all weather related) where I've been a moderator. If any of these missing guys happen to look in and read this, please review any such correspondence and verify the source.

It's too bad that one or two infrequent posters can create this sort of havoc, or even potentially if more active members take up trolling under assumed names. However, this is more or less an unfortunate "given" of the internet world and we have to work around it, taking whatever action we can to eliminate the sources. We also need to be vigilant about possible harassment of female and younger members. I'm sure that boards.ie in general must have policies about this kind of activity so the weather forum would be no different there.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

I've noticed that the weather forum has also lost a couple of other valued members in addition to Su Campu, at least it seems that way ... Deep Easterly and "thetonynator" have not been posting recently.

I hope there wasn't a related set of issues for all three of them. Some trolling can include off-forum personal messages and stalking, as well as impersonations. I've had to deal with this on other forums (not all weather related) where I've been a moderator. If any of these missing guys happen to look in and read this, please review any such correspondence and verify the source.

It's too bad that one or two infrequent posters can create this sort of havoc, or even potentially if more active members take up trolling under assumed names. However, this is more or less an unfortunate "given" of the internet world and we have to work around it, taking whatever action we can to eliminate the sources. We also need to be vigilant about possible harassment of female and younger members. I'm sure that boards.ie in general must have policies about this kind of activity so the weather forum would be no different there.

ya could always find out who they are by their ip address check it before they are let become a member that way you would know if they were trolling on here before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Last I checked, Tony's (thetonynator) account is now closed. Shame really, but yeah atmosphere in here went to sh1t recently. I need not say anything else on the matter. Onwards and upwards I say.

thetonynator
    Closed Account

Adverts | Friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Hi guys, I've logged on to the forum again and am overwhelmed at the number of kind replies I got in this thread. I guess maybe I was letting a few bad apples cloud (get it?) my thoughts a while back and the huge majority of people on here are here to share their passion for weather, and nothing else. :) Reading through the current threads it's refreshing to see the atmosphere that's returned to the forum, with the usual good-humoured banter replacing the mould that had been forming. Of course some things never change, with the hunt continuing for the elusive cold spell this winter! :D

It's also strange to see the threads without all the moderator gadgetry that I had become accustomed to, but I hope the process of recruiting new moderators has come on and we'll see some new blood helping out weathercheck and trogdor. We'll all help make things easy for them and for everyone.

Thanks again guys ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Welcome back Su !

Now get into the threads and give us some cold hope ! haha :pac:

Hi guys, I've logged on to the forum again and am overwhelmed at the number of kind replies I got in this thread. I guess maybe I was letting a few bad apples cloud (get it?) my thoughts a while back and the huge majority of people on here are here to share their passion for weather, and nothing else. :) Reading through the current threads it's refreshing to see the atmosphere that's returned to the forum, with the usual good-humoured banter replacing the mould that had been forming. Of course some things never change, with the hunt continuing for the elusive cold spell this winter! :D

It's also strange to see the threads without all the moderator gadgetry that I had become accustomed to, but I hope the process of recruiting new moderators has come on and we'll see some new blood helping out weathercheck and trogdor. We'll all help make things easy for them and for everyone.

Thanks again guys ;)

Glad youre back :). The weather forum just isnt the same without su campu !

I checked Deep Easterly and his account is still open and his last post was only 3 days ago so im sure hell be back soon. But tonynators account is closed unfortunately...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I'm aware of the IP address tool, but from moderator experience elsewhere I could mention that some persistent trolls set up duplicate accounts from remote posting sites (workplaces, internet cafes) and go about their business while their "public" handle remains dormant. I've even seen cases where this has been done on political commentary threads to set up material for lawsuits against target posters and forums. A few years ago there was a case where poster A (male in U.K.) created a second account for poster B (female in USA) and engaged in flirty chat on-line that turned into a marriage proposal.

No kidding!! :eek: The guy asked himself to get married in public.

Obviously this could be passed off as a joke, but the same person was also engaging in multiple off-line interactions with forum members, none of them very helpful to those people, and it led to a forum banning in that case.

We had a case in Canada where a political activist posted a very inflammatory message designed to look like the work of a political adversary and meant to influence the outcome of a vote in parliament on an important issue. This is still being hassled out in the courts. The internet is a bit of a wild west jungle at times.

By the way, the search for snow looks promising on the latest ECM. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Thanks again guys ;)
    Now that your back I hope you brought all the ingredients for some of the white fluffy stuff.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement