Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

ERG89 wrote: »
    Napoli host Juve in a huge game tomorrow. Genuinely think Benevento will give Milan a scare on Sunday too.

I was thinking how mad would it be if this turned out to be the game where Benevento get their first point.

Napoli vs Juve should be a fascinating one. Sampdoria vs Lazio on Sunday could be fun as well.

Roma vs SPAL is about to start on Eir/BT Sport.

Update: VAR in the spotlight again. Felipe brings down Dzeko outside the box. Ref's initial decision is a yellow card for Felipe but he reviews the decision and decides it's a straight red. SPAL down to ten men for next 80 minutes. I thought it was harsh.

Goal: Dzeko's shot in off the post. Could be a hat-trick in this game for him.

2-0 now. Strootman blasts it home.

Update: 3-0 now. Pellegrini header.

And a minute lader SPAL get a peno!

Oh my goodness what a minute! Viviani scores from the spot, the ref demands it be retaken due to encroachment, Viviani tries a Panenka which is saved but he fires in the rebound!

Full-Time and Roma win 3-1. The red card in the first ten minutes changed everything.

Teams for Napoli vs Juventus are in:
    Napoli XI: Reina; Hysaj, Albiol, Koulibaly, Mario Rui; Allan, Jorginho, Hamsik; Callejon, Mertens, Insigne.

Juventus XI: Buffon; De Sciglio, Benatia, Chiellini, Asamoah; Khedira, Pjanic, Matuidi; Douglas Costa, Dybala; Higuain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I didn't know Napoli and juve was today. I can't wait for this.

1-0 Juve. Higuain scores after a great break from Costa and Dybala.

Update: Juve lead at the break. Napoli have had some decent moments but lacking quality and composure in the last third.

Napoli seem to have let the pressure get to them. Although I have to say that Juventus' defence has been excellent and there's a reason that this team has gone to two champions league finals in the last three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Napoli seem to have let the pressure get to them. Although I have to say that Juventus' defence has been excellent and there's a reason that this team has gone to two champions league finals in the last three years.

I'm just home so can't comment on the first half. I really, really hope this won't be a case of Napoli under delivering on a big occasion again. :(

I thought that was a Napoli peno at first glance. Interested to see the replay.

Having seen it I don't think it was.

Wow some save from Reina.

Napoli haven't looked like scoring once. An awful second half & likely overall performance at the single worst possible moment you could have it.

• Advertisement

Full-Time and Juve win 1-0. A deserved win for the away side. Defended very well and Napoli never really looked like breaking them down.

I wanted napoli to win but I can't help but be impressed by the defending by juve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Napoli gonna Napoli. They've been flirting with the title for almost a decade now but always find a way to come up short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I only saw the second half of the Napoli v Juve game last night because it took ages to get back from the Roma match but I was disappointed with Napoli. Juve winning means Inter can go top on Sunday so hopefully Inter can get the win, it would be an important 3 points with a trip to Juve next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Inter can got top now. They will probably lose there next 2 games now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,626 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its quite sad to see the state of AC Milan these days that they are finding it so hard to defeat the worst team in Serie A

• Advertisement

so so happy

fair play to them

Genuinely think Benevento will give Milan a scare on Sunday too.

Useless f**king losers!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Vital that we win today, not only to go top but also because we go to Juventus next week and whilst I think we can get something there it will be our hardest match so far.

#ForzaInter

Lucky enough to have lived through some truly great Milan sides in the 90's /00's but good god this one would test your patience as a fan.

Hope Inter go pile a bit of pressure up top but have a feeling everyone is just sitting ducks for Juve's usual imperious 2ND half of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,286 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Advertisement

Perisic!

An almost comical goal from a Clivense defence point-of-view. I looked straight for the referee expecting him to cancel it as it was somewhat bizarre before celebrating.

Confidence Spalletti has given this team underlined by Candreva playing keepy uppy (in a totally unarrogant manner) to get past the Chievo winger when he was near his own goal line.

Icardi!!!

Salutate la capolista!!! (We won't be top come the end of the season so allow me enjoy it whilst it lasts :))!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Icardi puts Inter 2-0 up!

edit: what he said above!

Perisic!!!

Today's performance is arguably the best of the season.

Skriniar! Spalletti has had some effect on this team.

FCIM wrote: »
    Skriniar! Spalletti has had some effect on this team.

Unbelievable tbh

Just goes to show what a proper manager can do.

AC Milan can learn alot....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

That equaliser for Benevento, stuff of dreams :D

Perisic hat trick.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    That equaliser for Benevento, stuff of dreams :D

Amazing moment. Happy for their fans who have had to endure a lot of misery.

• Advertisement

For an Interista, it's brilliant to see Inter playing like this after so many bad years. Great hope for the rest of the season and the future. Grazie Luciano da Certaldo.

I seriously believe we do have a chance next week against Juventus. It will be very difficult but perhaps for the first time in years we can go there with confidence. My biggest hope though is that should we get beaten, Spalletti knows how to immediately give confidence back to the players as I believe we can go places with him as coach.

Forza Inter Sempre!

Out of interest, of the regulars in this thread, which is your Italian team, on what level do you support them (are they your main/only team or are they the team you follow in Serie A) and how did you come to support them?

Me, I grew up surrounded by Italian families (not Italian myself, though I do speak the language quite fluently) and had a number of friends who were Interisti. Used to go to their houses to watch Channel Four Serie A with them and followed Inter primarily because of them.

Inter are my only team and the only one I follow in particular depth as is Serie A the only league I follow in depth. I have a soft spot for PSG because of spending time in Paris but wouldn't lose sleep if they lost and have a strong soft spot for Atalanta, because of spending a lot of time in Bergamo, Cittadella and Perugia in Serie B and a passing interest in AlbinoLeffe (see comment on Bergamo) in Serie C.

Inter fan myself, I used to go regularly but don't get to go any more because I don't have the money to spare now. I was at the match yesterday but that was my first time in 10 years and it will probably be a while before I get to go again. Inter are the only team that I support in the sense that the results matter to me and I will try to watch every match. I do have a soft spot for Man Utd. because my family support them and with Jose there it helps too, but if they played each other I would be supporting Inter. I think that has changed over the years because it used to be more evenly balanced.

I'm not exactly sure how I started supporting Inter but I think it was a few things, my father gave me no choice with English clubs so I think I probably wanted to pick my own team and with Football Italia being on Channel 4 picking an Italian team was the obvious next choise. I remember that Milan were the dominant team at the time but I remember Zenga, Bergomi, Baresi and even Matthaus sticking in my mind even if I can't remember that much about the games from then.

I would also say that in general I am a football fan and I watch a lot of matches, mostly Serie A and EPL but with the odd bit of other foreign leagues too.

Was definitely the best league in the 90's when I was growing up. James Richardson on Sat mornings used to make extra exciting. I was a big Milan fan, my brother was Juve:pac:.

Used to go over a lot but maybe only go once or twice a year these days, hard to motivate myself to spend the money when they're so poor. Attendances are poor as well, been to a couple of derbies in recent years that didn't sell out which is pretty damning. Although signs this year Calcio is on the rise again(Milan aside:pac:) so hopefully locals start to get interested again.

Similar to myself with both of you, I used to go regularly and had a season ticket for Curva Nord to guarantee tickets for big matches. Don't have the cash to spare now as much so that meant I couldn't go so much but am hoping to go in the new year.

Similar to myself with both of you, I used to go regularly and had a season ticket for Curva Nord to guarantee tickets for big matches. Don't have the cash to spare now as much so that meant I couldn't go so much but am hoping to go in the new year.
    When did you have your season ticket? I had mine in the curva too for 06/07 and 07/08, but I didn't go to any in 08 because I went to New Zealand for the year. It would be crazy if we were there at the same time.

I am obviously biased but no other stadium has ever had the same atmosphere for me as San Siro. This weekend I was in the Curva Sud for the Roma match, the Curva Nord for the Inter match and the Curva Sud tonight for the Hellas match and both of the other two were a little disappointing considering the reputations they have. The Hellas fans were better than the Roma fans but still didn't come close to the Inter fans who were on their feet and singing for the whole match, it was actually even better than I remembered from when I used to go before.

dor83 wrote: »
    When did you have your season ticket? I had mine in the curva too for 06/07 and 07/08, but I didn't go to any in 08 because I went to New Zealand for the year. It would be crazy if we were there at the same time.

I am obviously biased but no other stadium has ever had the same atmosphere for me as San Siro. This weekend I was in the Curva Sud for the Roma match, the Curva Nord for the Inter match and the Curva Sud tonight for the Hellas match and both of the other two were a little disappointing considering the reputations they have. The Hellas fans were better than the Roma fans but still didn't come close to the Inter fans who were on their feet and singing for the whole match, it was actually even better than I remembered from when I used to go before.

Had it from about 10/11 to 12/13. I used to go to the matches against smaller teams before then but started to want to go to matches against Milan, Juventus etc. Oddly, I actually found the atmosphere better against the smaller clubs as it was just diehards in there.

I've been to the Curva Nord in Bergamo and the atmosphere there is brilliant. I've been to the Stadio Bentegodi but not in the Curva for Verona - Livorno (which is a big game for both teams for political reasons) and found it good. I was at a Serie D match in Sicily (Mazara) and an Eccellenza match in the Bergamo area (Stezzanese) and both had good atmospheres for the level. I've been to watch Sparta Prague in Prague and PSG in Paris too as well as to Celtic Park, Goodison Park, Anfield, the Racecourse (Wrexham) and the Millennium Stadium and I have to say the atmosphere on the continent is far better. In Paris both ends have ultras in them so the noise is deafening and Sparta's fans are very passionate but the Meazza does get me much more excited though that's probably natural.

Milan really on the upswing under Gattuso. Losing to a team nobody ever heard of in the Europa League.

Milan really on the upswing under Gattuso. Losing to a team nobody ever heard of in the Europa League.

They'd already finished top and didn't field a first eleven. Not a team they should lose to though and with the news that UEFA won't accept their voluntary agreement things are going from bad to worse.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Where.most of the signings.milan.made in the summer duds ?

I see where juve are buying gaya.

Tylerdurex wrote: »

I don't think so, Id say more they're being poorly trained. There are some who possibly wouldn't have been signed if Milan were hitting the Champions League every year as you would expect of a club of their stature but you could also say the same of the players Inter bought and look at the difference.

Huge weekend ahead which will really give an indication of where we are. I see four possibilities; we nick a win which will really give us confidence, we get a draw which again would be confidence boosting, Juve nick the win (which I hate to say I think is the most likely) or Juve hammer us (which I'd like to think isn't going to happen). The last option would make Spalletti's work much harder, trying to bring the players back up. The third could shatter confidence too but shouldn't. Juve are a hard team, particularly in Turin, I believe we go there with a good chance of a result but if we put in a performance and lose it should still be taken as a step forward as it would be another good team we had put it up to.

Tylerdurex wrote: »

The biggest disappointments for me have been Bonucci & Biglia. Both used to the league & have been absolute poison. Cahlanoglu has been poor but is basically what we already had with Suso & Bonaventura. Kessie & others have been underwhelming.
    Like some of the players who turned up at Inter (and had to be turfed out) there seems to be a real attitude of not really giving a f*ck. Started well in the Europa League for a game or 2 but went to pot. League form is shameful, failed every single test against a good side.
    Ownership situation is the most worrying part the Chinese seem to be about as rich as myself. Borrowing here & there to get anything done. It was obvious Gattuso got the job cause he's cheap rather than qualified. Apparently UEFA aren't satisfied with our FFP situation either for blatantly obvious reasons.

The biggest disappointments for me have been Bonucci & Biglia. Both used to the league & have been absolute poison. Cahlanoglu has been poor but is basically what we already had with Suso & Bonaventura. Kessie & others have been underwhelming.
    Like some of the players who turned up at Inter (and had to be turfed out) there seems to be a real attitude of not really giving a f*ck. Started well in the Europa League for a game or 2 but went to pot. League form is shameful, failed every single test against a good side.
    Ownership situation is the most worrying part the Chinese seem to be about as rich as myself. Borrowing here & there to get anything done. It was obvious Gattuso got the job cause he's cheap rather than qualified. Apparently UEFA aren't satisfied with our FFP situation either for blatantly obvious reasons.

Gazzetta are saying ownership could easily pass to the group the Chinese have leant off. Presumably that group doesn't want to own the club so it leaves questions about what would happen there. Over the summer a lot of Interisti were frustrated that our Chinese owners weren't spending like Milan's but it seems Suning are far more serious about putting a real project together.

• Advertisement

Not sure what to expect from the match tonight, if Inter score first then I think it could end up being a high scoring game but I'd settle for a draw right now.

Line-ups:
    Juve: Szczesny; De Sciglio, Benatia, Chiellini, Asamoah; Khedira, Pjanic, Matuidi; Cuadrado, Higuain, Mandzukic
    Bench: Pinsoglio, Loria, Barzagli, Rugani, Alex Sandro, Marchisio, Sturaro, Bentancur, Douglas Costa, Dybala, Bernardeschi

Inter: Handanovic; D’Ambrosio, Skriniar, Miranda, Santon; Vecino, Borja Valero; Candreva, Brozovic, Perisic; Icardi
    Bench: Padelli, Berni, Ranocchia, Joao Cancelo, Nagatomo, Dalbert, Joao Mario, Gagliardini, Karamoh, Eder, Pinamonti

Quite conservative of Allegri leaving The Jewel and Douglas Costa on the bench opting for more energetic/hard working options.

They'll probably get their 1-0

dor83 wrote: »
    Not sure what to expect from the match tonight, if Inter score first then I think it could end up being a high scoring game but I'd settle for a draw right now.

Line-ups:
    Juve: Szczesny; De Sciglio, Benatia, Chiellini, Asamoah; Khedira, Pjanic, Matuidi; Cuadrado, Higuain, Mandzukic
    Bench: Pinsoglio, Loria, Barzagli, Rugani, Alex Sandro, Marchisio, Sturaro, Bentancur, Douglas Costa, Dybala, Bernardeschi

Inter: Handanovic; D’Ambrosio, Skriniar, Miranda, Santon; Vecino, Borja Valero; Candreva, Brozovic, Perisic; Icardi
    Bench: Padelli, Berni, Ranocchia, Joao Cancelo, Nagatomo, Dalbert, Joao Mario, Gagliardini, Karamoh, Eder, Pinamonti

Gagliardini out, Epic in - means Spalletti believes it's winnable.

Brozovic is playing terribly, take him off and throw Gaglia in and maybe push Vecino forward because Borja is having a brilliant match.

Brozovic is playing terribly, take him off and throw Gaglia in and maybe push Vecino forward because Borja is having a brilliant match.
    Yeah, but I'd probably take off Candreva too and put Eder on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement