Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glut of repossessed houses could depress prices ‘by up to 25%’

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭TheOldHand

I don't think we will ever see a reasonable number or repossession in Ireland. The mass delusion is set to continue and with the government controlling all the main banks there is nobody from the outside to change this. I always try my best to berate and exclude people I know that are staying in properties for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

TheOldHand wrote: »
    I don't think we will ever see a reasonable number or repossession in Ireland. The mass delusion is set to continue and with the government controlling all the main banks there is nobody from the outside to change this. I always try my best to berate and exclude people I know that are staying in properties for free.

i tend to agree with you. Govt/NAMA/Banks all acting to keep property prices artificially high. Especially NAMA.

But Ulster Bank may change the course of events if they start to reposes. as stated in the examiner a mortgage in arrears for 12months has very little chance of getting back on track.

the banks failure to act has made everybody's situation much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

But in the cases of repossessions and having to write debts off..........who is going to pick up that bill? Taxpayers again?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Repossessions only suit the bank.
    Who picks up the tab for rehousing?
    Ordinary joe of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭TheOldHand

Ordinary joe of course.

Repossessions suits everybody. This is the only way you can fix the market. What you are advocating is a horribly unfair system of social housing that benefits only a small section of society. People staying in properties with no regard for the area, size or value of the property. They've essentially jumped to the top of the housing list and we pay for it. I'd rather occupy some of these properties and i would be payig far less in mortgage or rental payments if the market finds its real level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

I went to see a property today for 230k. Knowing that repossessions need to occur, I choose to wait until prices are further corrected before I make a commitment to purchase by first property. Repossessions can't come soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

lima wrote: »
    I went to see a property today for 230k. Knowing that repossessions need to occur, I choose to wait until prices are further corrected before I make a commitment to purchase by first property. Repossessions can't come soon enough.

why did you bother going to see a property if your waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

D3PO wrote: »

to see if he liked it obviously!

testicle wrote: »
    to see if he liked it obviously!

Or to see how much it is really worth! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

D3PO wrote: »

So they could post on here later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

lima wrote: »

So timing has been good to you. Well done. Unfortunate that you choose to turn your good fortune into some kind of smug satisfaction. Maybe you really were smarter then everyone else but I doubt it. Lets hope when you get your house and the next recession hits, you don't find yourself on the wrong end of a bank repossession. No doubt there would be someone just like you waiting in the wings to gloat about taking your home for a song.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Swanner wrote: »
    So timing has been good to you. Well done. Unfortunate that you choose to turn your good fortune into some kind of smug satisfaction. Maybe you really were smarter then everyone else but I doubt it. .

he wasnt smarter. He let slip he had mortgage approval in the boom. Why would he apply for mortgage approval if he thought they were overpriced....

he likes to think he was smart though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Ordinary joe of course.

As one of the many tax paying ordinary joes, I don't have a problem with this.

Lot of lads hoping to pick up a bargain and clearly hoping that repossessions will aid that. Just be careful you dont get a stone put through the window or worse when you move into your bargain buy. Some people may resort to that.
    Anyway I dont see large scale repossessions. A likely solution will be the banks taking a stake in the house for debt writeoff.

Melodramatic much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Barracuda1

I don't see large scale repossessions as they will only take back those who are worth selling to make a profit.

Barracuda1 wrote: »
    I don't see large scale repossessions as they will only take back those who are worth selling to make a profit.

It may well be the banks's preference but would cause trouble for the politicians. People would cry foul straight away about people being treated differently.

Zamboni wrote: »
    Melodramatic much?
    Maybe, maybe not.
    Would an insurance company insure a house that had previously been burnt to the ground deliberately?

This forum is becoming an extension of AH.

I think people are thinking that people will gladly allow their house to be repossessed. That wont happen. A lot of people will gladly support homeowners who are being repossessed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Barracuda1 wrote: »

there aren't likely to be many of those in the current market...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I think people are thinking that people will gladly allow their house to be repossessed. That wont happen. A lot of people will gladly support homeowners who are being repossessed.

But its the banks house and do they expect a free house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

It takes a long time and it's extremely costly to repossess a property in Ireland. It's like not Nevada in the us where the bank takes it and in a few weeks it's sold. Like if Nama aren't unloading their books quickly why would the banks do the same.

With the huge shortage of houses in Dublin city the price drop won't be any where near 25 %.

One question. If someone who is in arrears knows for a fact that his/her house is not going to be repossessed then which is the incentive for that person to pay the mortgage?
    More than a year in arrears should mean repossession, sorry but that is the only solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Well theyre supporting them now financially.

Most of the houses that may be repossessed are not in Dublin anyway. They are in the commuter belt upto an hr from the city. Not too many people will be keen on those.
    Only solution is debt writeoff for equity in the house. That may be one of the reasons why Europe is realising that austerity cant solve these problems and getting people back to work through infrastructure projects is the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

With the government pegging property tax rates to property values, it gives the government yet another reason/incentive to do whatever it can to stop anything that may cause property prices to fall further. As such, while they can proclaim that measures they take to stop mass repossessions, are being introduced to protect homeowners by keeping families in their homes, in reality, if it wasn't so already, they now have a sizeable vested interest in maintaining/increasing property values. Higher property values = higher property tax payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Most of the houses that may be repossessed are not in Dublin anyway. They are in the commuter belt upto an hr from the city. Not too many people will be keen on those.
    Only solution is debt writeoff for equity in the house. That may be one of the reasons why Europe is realising that austerity cant solve these problems and getting people back to work through infrastructure projects is the way forward.

How do you know that most are outside Dublin?

Your debt solution is not fair to buyers, nice to see your bias.

gurramok wrote: »

How do you know that most are outside Dublin?

Your debt solution is not fair to buyers, nice to see your bias.

Here you go.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/one-in-five-mortgages-now-in-big-trouble-according-to-ratings-agency-28811933.html

Cavan and Laois have highest rate of mortgages in difficulty compared to Cork and Dublin who have least.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

heyjude wrote: »
    With the government pegging property tax rates to property values, it gives the government yet another reason/incentive to do whatever it can to stop anything that may cause property prices to fall further. As such, while they can proclaim that measures they take to stop mass repossessions, are being introduced to protect homeowners by keeping families in their homes, in reality, if it wasn't so already, they now have a sizeable vested interest in maintaining/increasing property values. Higher property values = higher property tax payments.

Not at all- the government only have to add a flat rate percentage to each band, to match a reciprocal fall in property value and they still get their pound of bacon. Whether prices fall or not- matters not one iota to the government- come what may, they will get their money......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement