Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media: 'Professionals only' - Daft.ie ordered to block discriminatory terms in ads

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I agree with you but I don't agree with "references required" being discrimatory.

References required is checking the good standing of the possible tenant.

To be frank, it doesn't matter whether any of this is discriminatory language or not. If a landlord doesn't want to rent to a HAP or student tenant s/he won't and no one will be able to prove that.

Sure we still have women in their 30s/newlyweds getting turned down for jobs because they are likely to be taking maternity leave in the near future. All you have to say is that another candidate performed better in the interview if it's ever questioned.

You can't stop people discriminating if they want to, you can just force them to waste everyone's time as they go through the motions for the sake of looking like they're complying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Theres no law that says landlords have to take on hap tenants or students,
    this is political correctness .in modern ireland ,you cannot even imply
    that every one is not equal ,
    So ads cannot say we are looking for working professionals .
    That could exclude students or maybe someone working 3 days a week.
    We are supposed to pretend that we live in a perfect society .
    i can understand why a landlord renting a large flat in rathmines for 150 euro a week.
    May not want to rent to a student, sign the forms to get hap.
    When they will get 10 potential tenants who work at google or the local bank who will rent the flat .
    There are landlords who take hap clients ,they are mainly ones who will
    rent a house out to a single mother with 2 or more children , in my experience .
    why should they waste time interviewing students for the sake of political correctness .
    if i was working at the tax office i would give all landlords who live in citys a 20 per cent tax credit for taking a hap tenant,
    there is no financial incentive for a landlord to take a student as a tenant at the moment , as opposed to someone who works in an office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Caranica wrote: »
    You could say replies by email only and no free email providers?

I have always done replies by email only and that lets you weed a lot of trouble out. Social media and Google searches help cut the list down further.

Surely by saying "replies by email only" you're discriminating against the non-computer literate?

I'll be amazed if the wonderful Emily Logan and her team of brainwashed IHREC muppets don't pick up on that shocking evidence of discrimination very shortly!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Portsalon wrote: »
    Surely by saying "replies by email only" you're discriminating against the non-computer literate?

I'll be amazed if the wonderful Emily Logan and her team of brainwashed IHREC muppets don't pick up on that shocking evidence of discrimination very shortly!

If you don't provide a phone number they have to email. I use a throwaway email so I'm not harassed once the room is gone. It's also much easier to email "Thank you for your interest. There was a huge response to the ad and I am sorry to say you have not been successful in your application. Wishing you every success in securing accommodation in the near future". Send then block the email address so no further correspondence, no reason why they didn't get it, just that they didn't now move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I realise you're only kidding but it's worth pointing out you can of course, and obviously have to discriminate to get down to one party to rent to, you just can't discriminate on one of the enumerated grounds. It's the expansion of those grounds which is getting beyond a joke.

An example being an older person taking using exactly your scenario to point to age discrimination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Would say they'd go down the ageist route there, if they had a problem with it. Considering how often you've people complaining about services moving to paperless online oly and the like and how it effects the elderly I doubt it's far fetched they'd have an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

If the government wants no discrimination then they should have social housing.

As a private landlord I should be allowed to rent to whoever I want. That includes not wanting to get involved with the HAP scheme or anything else relying on the government putting up money.

I'd scrap the HAP scheme in its entirety. Rents would soon come down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

STB. wrote: »
    @Nox Don't get hauled into a you're a "racist" "xenophobic" side tracking arguments. Its a sideshow, nothing more.

Private landlords should have the right to enter into private agreements with whomever they wish. It is after all, their property, not the governments.

That private home owners state possible suitability requirements is to ensure they get reliable tenants, who have the ability to pay the demanded rent without any damage being done to their private property. These are not discriminatory requirements.

He's just admitted he is one. Too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

rightmove wrote: »
    You seem to be ok with putting words in ppls mouths. How many properties have you had trashed??

What words? I asked a question, feel free to answer or don't answer.
    I'd plenty of sw tenants during my time as a landlord, never had anything trashed, thanks for the concern tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There is a difference between discrimination and needing some information to make an financial risk evaluation.

At this point both sides seem unable to tell the difference which is bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

You could say replies by email only and no free email providers?

I have always done replies by email only and that lets you weed a lot of trouble out. Social media and Google searches help cut the list down further.

Most people have the sense not to use work email for personal business. If I saw that requirement I’d move on to the next listing.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

terrydel wrote: »
    What words? I asked a question.

Read your last post. Common sense to you is discrimination

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Most people have the sense not to use work email for personal business. If I saw that requirement I’d move on to the next listing.

In the current market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

In the current market?

Yes. If the landlord has this sort of silly requirement then he is probably going to be a pain to deal with.

Advertisement