Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

buffalo wrote:
    It'll be great to get that pinch point on the N81 beyond Jobstown sorted.

The last set of plans I saw (which was a good bit back) had the cycle lane stop, cross the road, through a kissing gate, run through the park, then another kidding gate, and back across on the bend.

I would not expect this has changed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭buffalo

Grassey wrote: »
    The last set of plans I saw (which was a good bit back) had the cycle lane stop, cross the road, through a kissing gate, run through the park, then another kidding gate, and back across on the bend.

I would not expect this has changed

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I spent most of today in and around Blackrock today. Walked from the B. Clinic to the village and was pleasantly surprised at the recent changes there. There are loads of cafes, all seemingly doing good trade and plenty of people sitting on the street furniture. It was a nice place to be.
    My only gripe was that you've to walk right up to the front of the Frascati centre, passing a major junction before you get the opportunity to cross the road.
    Nonetheless, it is an example of how a village centre can be people friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I spent most of today in and around Blackrock today. Walked from the B. Clinic to the village and was pleasantly surprised at the recent changes there. There are loads of cafes, all seemingly doing good trade and plenty of people sitting on the street furniture. It was a nice place to be.
    My only gripe was that you've to walk right up to the front of the Frascati centre, passing a major junction before you get the opportunity to cross the road.
    Nonetheless, it is an example of how a village centre can be people friendly.

The changes seem to be having a positive impact.. However the "death of the village" brigade are now complaining that it is too busy. You cant win.
    On the crossing point issue.. Are there not pedestrian lights at the Blackrock Park/Mount Merrion Ave junction? I have come through that junction thousands of tmes but cant temember can you cross there safely..

There are lights there to cross Mt Merrion Ave but not across the dual carriageway.

• Advertisement

There are lights there to cross Mt Merrion Ave but not across the dual carriageway.

Is this where you mean? Looks like there are pedestrian lights there but must say I never noticed them before as I wouldn't be walking there much.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.30226,-6.1829256,3a,75y,52.77h,95.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sI1nX4LI-xuMLHwIfpunQxg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Funny, don't recall seeing them but maybe wasn't looking there as was coming from the Clinic - I must have been having a blonde moment as they say

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Had a walk around the area today and I am a bit more encouraged. It seems like Saba, Tiger Pizza and the Grange pharmacy are the only businesses with the big (A1?) posters. Newsagents, FXB, Fellinis all have very small (A5?) versions.
    But Pure pharmacy, new flower shop,SuperValu, Liberos, the Grange, Insomnia, dry cleaners, Wardrobe shop all have none at present. None of the car dealerships appear to have them either.

The sign was removed from FXB last week and I had a call from the manager just now. He was very apologetic and said he was on a weeks holidays and the sign should never have gone up. He explained that they are very involved and supportive of the local community (which I know to be true). I did buy some fillet steak last Saturday when I saw the sign down so I am happy to deal with them again.
    No idea if the email had any effect but he was at pains to point out that it would not be company policy to put up controversial signage.

Slightly cycling infrastructure related. New apartment development in Deansgrange but what caught my eye was 150 apartments, 99 car parking spaces and 300 plus cycling spaces!!
    So the ratio of car sparking spaces is well under 1 per unit..

http://www.deansgrangeshd.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Wish there was a similar such thread for the northside - maybe I imagine, but I find both the infrastructure & the discussion around infrastructure (i.e. cycling advocacy groups) to be quite heavily southside focusses.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Wish there was a similar such thread for the northside - maybe I imagine, but I find both the infrastructure & the discussion around infrastructure (i.e. cycling advocacy groups) to be quite heavily southside focusses.
    Maybe start a thread on infrastructure in de nortsoide then?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Sure do they not all ride horses on the North side !!!

You have to hand it to DLRCoCo they have been good to us

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

or else we just make this thread about planned infrastructure in general? rather than having a northside/southside divide.

or else we just make this thread about planned infrastructure in general? rather than having a northside/southside divide.

Probably best as some of us cross the border on a daily basis!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

OP here
    No probs if you make it Dublin wide - you'll need to change the thread title I guess

I only started this thread to even out the lobbying going on by some businesses in DLR that are opposed to the cycle lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

So long as the fella that "designed" the cycle paths at Cherrywood business park isn't allowed anywhere near the designs.

They had a blank sheet of paper and balls it up for drivers, pedestrians and cyclists.

I only hope that the flats and schools side of the wyattville road actually have some thought go into them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Just saw that. Very disappointing but nothing good comes easy.

daragh_ wrote: »
    Just saw that. Very disappointing but nothing good comes easy.

Disappointing but traffic in the Deansgrange/Bakers corner area has never been worse. Probably due to the new junction layout at both crossroads. If the new one way system for cycle lanes had gone in as planned it would have been blamed for the current traffic issues and would never have succeeded.Maybe better to hold fire for a few months,,
    I think the "alternative option" will be a cycle lane on Abbey Road. Keeps all the local residents happy but will be useless for anyone coming from Clonkeen Road/Clonkeen Park where Deansgrange Road will still be the preferred option.
    DLR council appear to be pursuing a policy of making motoring less attractive by traffic light phasing, one way systems, cycle/pedestrian priority and traffic calming so only a matter of time before we see major changes to the road infrastructure

Disappointing but traffic in the Deansgrange/Bakers corner area has never been worse. Probably due to the new junction layout at both crossroads. If the new one way system for cycle lanes had gone in as planned it would have been blamed for the current traffic issues and would never have succeeded.Maybe better to hold fire for a few months,,
    I think the "alternative option" will be a cycle lane on Abbey Road. Keeps all the local residents happy but will be useless for anyone coming from Clonkeen Road/Clonkeen Park where Deansgrange Road will still be the preferred option.
    DLR council appear to be pursuing a policy of making motoring less attractive by traffic light phasing, one way systems, cycle/pedestrian priority and traffic calming so only a matter of time before we see major changes to the road infrastructure

On a selfish level, Abbey Road would suit me better if they put it there

Full report on the recent consultation re DLR active travel routes..

Haven't read the entire thing but it appears that it is by no means dead in the water..

https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/infrastructure-climate-change/dlr-safe-walking-cycling-routes-consultation/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭buffalo

Full report on the recent consultation re DLR active travel routes..

Haven't read the entire thing but it appears that it is by no means dead in the water..

https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/infrastructure-climate-change/dlr-safe-walking-cycling-routes-consultation/

I had a skim last week. My favourite highlighted comment:
    I am
    absolutely in favour of
    safe infrastructure for cyclists,
    but not at the expense of other
    road users and pedestrians

ummm... I think you may need to look up the definition of 'absolute'. :D

:rolleyes:
    Cycle paths could ‘destroy’ Sandymount
    Sandymount village could be “absolutely destroyed” if a cycle path is built through it, a Dublin City Council meeting has heard.

[Mannix] Flynn said he was “pro cycling” but the plan “will see Sandymount village on the one hand maybe getting a cycle lane, on the other hand being entirely and absolutely destroyed”.

Lord Mayor Hazel Chu said the mitigation measures were put forward to do what was best for the community during the trial period. “Ultimately it is a trial,” she said. “I know people don’t believe it’s a trial, but it is a trial.”

Labour’s Dermot Lacey said a situation had emerged where “the local community – or large swathes of it – just don’t trust Dublin City Council on this”.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/cycle-paths-could-destroy-sandymount-1.4436759

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

The gruesome twosome: Flynn and Lacey pretending be in favour of cycle infrastructure but, as usual, not here and not now. Or, as Lacey puts it, not without more engagement.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Haven’t these guys seen the success of Seapoint Ave. Maybe I’m in the minority but that is transformative, to see what segregation means. Small kids cycling at ease with parents or siblings, a truly pleasant experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

CapnHex wrote: »
    Haven’t these guys seen the success of Seapoint Ave. Maybe I’m in the minority but that is transformative, to see what segregation means. Small kids cycling at ease with parents or siblings, a truly pleasant experience.

Speaking of which, I came across a motorist tootling down the segregated part of the old Dun Leary Road this evening. I suspect he came out of the garage, there's just enough space to squeeze between the poles at that point. I must have a look tomorrow and see if he took out the pole at the other end of that stretch.

Advertisement