Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIRE sign, Bray head discovery.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ambasite wrote: »
    Nice video footage of it here:

Short links don't embed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There is also one on Howth above Casana Rock, which is the most eastern point of Howth and makes sense. It was restored a few decades ago and is now overgrown, though some white bits can be seen on Google Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

tricky D wrote: »
    There is also one on Howth above Casana Rock, which is the most eastern point of Howth and makes sense. It was restored a few decades ago and is now overgrown, though some white bits can be seen on Google Earth.

Hi. I would be grateful for any evidence of this as I have conflicting views on Howth's sign. I built www.eiremarkings.org and Howth pains me as I cannot be certain I located it correctly. A couple of people have had a look lately and have not really found anything and I have been given conflicting info about its precise location.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,196 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Calina wrote: »
    Hi. I would be grateful for any evidence of this as I have conflicting views on Howth's sign. I built www.eiremarkings.org and Howth pains me as I cannot be certain I located it correctly. A couple of people have had a look lately and have not really found anything and I have been given conflicting info about its precise location.
    I was just up there and it doesn't look to be the right place and there is nothing under the growth that looks like a contender and the area doesn't look large enough. I am thinking it is further south and inland which is well overgrown.

The good news is that Howth Pathways are talking about restoring it, It was restored 35 years ago and there are folks whose brains I am trying to pick who know exactly where it is (O'Rourkes).

Will let you know in due course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The Howth one would be great if it was visible on the flight path into Dublin

@Calina

Got it!

Move your pin to 53°22'29.77"N 6° 2'59.36"W

Nothing visible from above or beside, for now. Fingal are in the mix now for getting it restored. I was right on top of it on Friday, rummaging up the paths but it is all gorsed and blackberried over.

29685950677_7870cd6316_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Rawr

@Calina

Got it!

Move your pin to 53°22'29.77"N 6° 2'59.36"W

Nothing visible from above or beside, for now. Fingal are in the mix now for getting it restored. I was right on top of it on Friday, rummaging up the paths but it is all gorsed and blackberried over.

29685950677_7870cd6316_o.jpg

Ah man, I was way off (I thought I had found it ealier :D)

You can kind of make it out on Google Maps if you use the above map as a reference. You can almost see the "6" too :)

https://www.google.com/maps/search/casana+rock+howth/@53.3748881,-6.0495757,117m/data=!3m1!1e3

Actually this is nice because it confirms one of the things I was told which was that it was landside of the path. I'll get the map and entry updated.

I had a look back at OSI aerial photography in the area. It really isn't clear on any of them so I think it has been pretty overgrown for at least 20 years. Someone told me the sign in Clogherhead in Louth is still in place but similarly, is overgrown and likewise, one in Fenit in Kerry. But no one had said anything about the Bray Head one. Anyway, the map is updated for Howth now along with the entry. I'd be grateful if I could add that image above though, tricky D. Did you draw it up yourself or is it on a plan somewhere (ie, whose permission do I have to ask?)

Calina, it's is a Fingal CC map so should be fine to use. I will double check for you just in case and let you know.

There is a bench going to be put at the side of the path and Fingal have no plans to restore the sign. A reason cited was habitat loss but if enough people campaign for it being reinstated, that may change.

I feel a campaign coming on.

• Advertisement

Calina, it's is a Fingal CC map so should be fine to use. I will double check for you just in case and let you know.

There is a bench going to be put at the side of the path and Fingal have no plans to restore the sign. A reason cited was habitat loss but if enough people campaign for it being reinstated, that may change.

I feel a campaign coming on.

It'd be a pity not to restore it - I have had 2 enquiries about that sign. Let me know if there is someone you think I should write to about it.

I'm going to have chat with some of the local councillors and try to get a plan of action together.

Another thing is that that land is owned by Treasury Holdings who I am told are open to it being restored. /Good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

.......A reason cited was habitat loss .......

A perfect clause to get out of any gardening that I dont want to do.

Thanks Fingal ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I presume whoever might restore it are going to have the sign say Éire, not Eire, which would be a burden lifted...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

So if Howth is 6 and Bray is 8, where is 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

P_1 wrote: »
    So if Howth is 6 and Bray is 8, where is 7?

Dalkey. There is lots on the net about these if you search.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1KRXEHosY4wTRMdKxpJijkf6lnFw&hl=en_US&ll=53.46220387758009%2C-8.23591250000004&z=6

EchoIndia wrote: »

That makes sense. Think I may have to go exploring Howth next weekend

P_1 wrote: »
    That makes sense. Think I may have to go exploring Howth next weekend
    You will see absolutely nothing. I went for a rummage there today right into the gorse and the evidence is so well buried beneath dead gorse that even my scrapings couldn't muster anything.

Disappointing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

Was there today too. I tried to get in amongst the gorse but it was far too prickly. However, there are a few stones buried under there which could be part of it. Int he meantime, this is what it looks like (looking out to sea from behind it and looking at it from the cliff walk). Thanks for finding it, Tricky D.

I'd love to see it restored as it's much easier to get to than the Bray one.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

Not a great photo, I know but you might be interested. This is Bray Head from Howth Summit. On full zoom, I could just about make out the Eire 8 sign but only because I knew exactly where to look for it.

• Advertisement

For the benefit of others, it is on the inner cliff path, a few yards south on the opposite side of the path to the low curved stone bench.

Yep. It really is an unremarkable spot.

30855304878_9aeb52087a_o.jpg

There is a white marking on the path in this pic which is where I reckon the bench is going.
    43816843765_bcf7c0bcf5_o.jpg

42916249380_9f29b63bf8_o.jpg

43816844165_3f38289e31_o.jpg

Link not working for me.

You will see absolutely nothing. I went for a rummage there today right into the gorse and the evidence is so well buried beneath dead gorse that even my scrapings couldn't muster anything.

Disappointing tbh.

Any excuse for a ramble around the cliff path tbh :)

Part of the 2nd E now uncovered due to bench works. Line of rocks 1/4 from bottom.

44294635854_e03f3c980c_o.jpg

Any whispers as to what way the CoCo are thinking on this ?

As others have said, given its location it would be very apt that it would be restored

The one on Bray Head from the air today (with added camera vibration).

32123524157_c1bc2fbc23_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

I flew over the bray sign last November on my first flight out of Newcastle. It's surprisingly low on the cliff face compared to what previous pics would make you think. Very cool to see it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

How's the Howth one progressing?

Doubt much has happened over winter. Will spin up for a look when have time and good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

This may be of interest, made by an Irish Director.

• Advertisement

Doubt much has happened over winter.......

Correct ( I did the upper cliff walk recently )

Advertisement