Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E bike advice

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

I recently purchased one of these:

EU_RadRhino_250W_Right_Side_View_Web_900x.jpg?v=1593418046

RadRhino from

https://radpowerbikes.eu/collections/electric-bikes/products/radrhino-electric-fat-bike

It's pretty great. I'm not sure about the comment earlier regarding throttle. The throttle only appears to work on the latest model when pedalling and is just there to get you quickly up to max power.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 maurz

Hi Manion

I would love one of those Rad Bikes.

Are there any retailers in Ireland for these Electric Rad bikes or the Electric Fat Bikes?

I would like to buy from somewhere I could conveniently return to for support/service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I have my eye on the Canyon Endurace ON for €3,000 but not sure if my company will allow online purchases or they go with the voucher crowd. Wondering what options I have from brands sold in Dublin?

Check out reviews for the Fazua system, the assistance is quite limited i believe and I would like to see how one stands up to daily commuting year round in Ireland

Probably better bet is the ebikemotion system or even better (I believe) is the Cannondale synapse neo roadbikes with the bosch active line plus motor integrated into the bottom bracket. I put 20k klm on my bosch system bike before it needed to be rebuilt - and now its going into its next 20k.

Here’s a thread about similar https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2058059115

Remember that the assistance cuts at over 25kph which leaves you pushing a relatively heavy bike. If you are capable of maintaining 25kph+ maybe a slippery light commuter bike would be better.

I have reservations about uning an e-road bike for commuting. I think the best ebike option for this use is a Cube whatever with a bosch system, 500wh battery and mudguards / rack / integrated lights. Another option is something with a hub (in wheel) motor as theoretically less maintenance (mid drives wear chains / cranks / cassettes quicker) but I prefer how mid drives feel. Remember that where the ebike comes into its own is in sh1t weather, up hills and reducing sweating.

maurz wrote: »
    Hi Manion

I would love one of those Rad Bikes.

Are there any retailers in Ireland for these Electric Rad bikes or the Electric Fat Bikes?

I would like to buy from somewhere I could conveniently return to for support/service.

Hey, the eu site ships to Ireland. A colleague mentioned they provided good levels of remote support but yes, servicing is a thing I've started to wonder about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Ferris wrote: »
    Remember that where the ebike comes into its own is in sh1t weather, up hills and reducing sweating.

^^This

When I commuted into/out of town, I loved my eBike most on rainy days when I could comfortably armour myself up in rain gear, let the motor take on more of the work and arrive dry and not too sweaty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Manion wrote: »
    Hey, the eu site ships to Ireland. A colleague mentioned they provided good levels of remote support but yes, servicing is a thing I've started to wonder about.

All the servicing items are standard bike parts. You cannot service any of the assist system - just replace. Very few motors / batteries / controllers / displays would be held in stock in Ireland outside of maybe Bosch.

I like the Radpower bikes, very cheap. Look out for availability however, most are out of stock. A friend tried to buy a Radwagon and was told that they were not going to be available for the foreseeable - shame as I was having thoughts on buying one. The radmission is unbelievable value for money. One fly in the ointment is buying one on bike to work scheme, not sure if anyone has managed that. No ebike will be supplied into the EU with a throttle as its illegal.

On a seperate note I cannot understand fatbikes unless trying to cycle on snow. I would imagine that they are slower and use more battery than a normal bike.

I have seen a couple of Lectro bikes which seemed reasonably well put together and they have an irish distributor which accepts bike to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Check out reviews for the Fazua system, the assistance is quite limited i believe and I would like to see how one stands up to daily commuting year round in Ireland

Probably better bet is the ebikemotion system or even better (I believe) is the Cannondale synapse neo roadbikes with the bosch active line plus motor integrated into the bottom bracket. I put 20k klm on my bosch system bike before it needed to be rebuilt - and now its going into its next 20k.

Here’s a thread about similar https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2058059115

Remember that the assistance cuts at over 25kph which leaves you pushing a relatively heavy bike. If you are capable of maintaining 25kph+ maybe a slippery light commuter bike would be better.

I have reservations about uning an e-road bike for commuting. I think the best ebike option for this use is a Cube whatever with a bosch system, 500wh battery and mudguards / rack / integrated lights. Another option is something with a hub (in wheel) motor as theoretically less maintenance (mid drives wear chains / cranks / cassettes quicker) but I prefer how mid drives feel. Remember that where the ebike comes into its own is in sh1t weather, up hills and reducing sweating.

The eBikemotion has 40nm torque whereas the Fazua is 55-60nm, it also has a peak output of 400w with 250w continuous output, not sure if the eBikemotion goes above 250w. One of the reasons to pick the Fazua is the removable battery so I don't have to charge the bike in the office and the mid drive motor gives me the option to upgrade wheels down the line.

I rode the eBikemotion last year and found it grand on a commute, got to work fresh as a daisy which is impressive for a 21km journey in with lots of stopping and long inclines, it was a flat bar Orbea with large tyres so not the most efficient bike. Give me drop bars and 25c tyres any day.

Not too concerned about any chain/cassette wear as I won't be doing huge mileage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 maurz

Manion wrote: »

Thanks for reply, much appreciated.
    We have 3 cycle shops in my home town, but only 1 really good 1 in my opinion, however cheapest E Bike is €2200. ( don't really want to spend that much on a bike) They told me they've had too many problems with the cheaper models🀷*♀️

May l ask you 1 final question is your bike very heavy. Want to be able lift it on to a car bike rack. Thank again.

All the servicing items are standard bike parts. You cannot service any of the assist system - just replace. Very few motors / batteries / controllers / displays would be held in stock in Ireland outside of maybe Bosch.

I like the Radpower bikes, very cheap. Look out for availability however, most are out of stock. A friend tried to buy a Radwagon and was told that they were not going to be available for the foreseeable - shame as I was having thoughts on buying one. The radmission is unbelievable value for money. One fly in the ointment is buying one on bike to work scheme, not sure if anyone has managed that. No ebike will be supplied into the EU with a throttle as its illegal.

On a seperate note I cannot understand fatbikes unless trying to cycle on snow. I would imagine that they are slower and use more battery than a normal bike.

I have seen a couple of Lectro bikes which seemed reasonably well put together and they have an irish distributor which accepts bike to work.

The RadRhino there has a throttle, at least that's what they are calling it. Regarding fat bikes, you're limited to 25Kmh with the pedal-assist anyway and you'll have no problem getting up to that. You'll run through your battery faster for sure as the bike is heavier and there is more contact with the wheels. I selected a fat bike because it's more comfortable and easy to ride. I'm quite heavy and riding this bike is completely different compared to my old road bike. The fact it's power-assisted more than offsets the extra weight.
    maurz wrote: »
    Thanks for reply, much appreciated.
    We have 3 cycle shops in my home town, but only 1 really good 1 in my opinion, however cheapest E Bike is €2200. ( don't really want to spend that much on a bike) They told me they've had too many problems with the cheaper models��*♀️

May l ask you 1 final question is your bike very heavy. Want to be able lift it on to a car bike rack. Thank again.

The bike is heavy, it weighs 31KG. They have lighter variants that might be better for you. It's definitely possible to lift the bike onto a car bike rack but depending on your upper body strength, you might struggle. I wouldn't say the Rad power bikes are cheaply built. Reviews indicate they use decent brand name standard parts. You can certainly pay more for less, especially in Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement