Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E bike advice

Options
  • 19-01-2021 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi I am thinking about buying an ebike. I have a Giant bike currently and my cycling is what I call Granny cycling! I would ramble around 15 to 20km in the flat where possible. I like admiring houses gardens and country side.
    I am close to retiring and my husband would cycle a few days a week ; anything from 30 to 60 km. So I am thinking if I had an ebike I could go a little farther with him and still enjoy myself . We have done a few greenways and always enjoy that.
    We would always hire bikes when on holidays Spain Portugal Holland etc and I surprise myself when on holidays I seem to manage a good few kms and enjoy the day.
    I’m sure this is helped by the nice weather and the flat cycling.
    I’m finding there is not that many places in Ireland without hills. I would also like to be able to put it on the bike rack to take with us when we can go places.
    What should I be looking for in an ebike. What is a good brand , what should my budget be .
    Any advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

There's a thread over on the Motoring and Transport forum that can advise:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057998924

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Come over to the dark side.... plenty of real world advice.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2057998924

coleen wrote: »
    Hi I am thinking about buying an ebike. I have a Giant bike currently and my cycling is what I call Granny cycling! I would ramble around 15 to 20km in the flat where possible. I like admiring houses gardens and country side.
    I am close to retiring and my husband would cycle a few days a week ; anything from 30 to 60 km. So I am thinking if I had an ebike I could go a little farther with him and still enjoy myself . We have done a few greenways and always enjoy that.
    We would always hire bikes when on holidays Spain Portugal Holland etc and I surprise myself when on holidays I seem to manage a good few kms and enjoy the day.
    I’m sure this is helped by the nice weather and the flat cycling.
    I’m finding there is not that many places in Ireland without hills. I would also like to be able to put it on the bike rack to take with us when we can go places.
    What should I be looking for in an ebike. What is a good brand , what should my budget be .
    Any advice welcome

Have you tried an ebike yet? There are some you can rent at some bike shops, especially at tourist locations. Would be a good idea to try one or two out first to get a sense of the power, the weight etc.

In terms of a bike rack on the car for the ebike, it will depend on what type of bike and how its set up (battery location etc) but it shouldn't be an issue. Obviously a hitch mounted rack is the best option if you have one.

Budget wise, again that depends. It sounds like something basic will suit you but you'll still be looking at between 500 eur to a few k, depending on specs, make, model.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you able to buy on the cycle to work scheme? the ceiling on that allows for a purchase of a bike of up to €1.5k in a tax efficient manner.
    as DaCor mentions, it doesn't sound like you'd need something top end so that would allow for plenty of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭coleen

Thanks for the advice so far. I never thought about hiring one out that would be a good idea. I don’t need a top end 1 for sure but I would like to get a good one that I would enjoy using.
    I could buy on the bike to work scheme so that should help.
    Is there any web sites that you would recommend,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd say your best bet if find out which bike shops near you stock them, and go talk to them. maybe ring ahead, as they might not keep a full range in stock and may have special arrangements during lockdown.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Also, since you mention going out with your husband, make sure the range on the bike is good enough to get you around the same distance. A bike with a dead battery could be a tough job to get home if far enough away and not used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would also like to be able to put it on the bike rack to take with us when we can go places.
    make sure you can lift it so, they are significantly heavier, though if the battery is removable and there are 2 of you it will make a big difference.

I would consider myself to be fairly strong enough but can struggle with mine as it weighs nearly twice as much as some regular bikes I owned, and it feels like more than twice as much. Every extra kilo ontop of the initial ~12kg feels a lot more.

Reading your first post I think an ebike would be absolutely ideal for someone like yourself. Everywhere is flat on an ebike! just be sure to get a top of the range lock. A removable battery also makes it safer if you are locking it up with a high-end lock, since a pro thief will know a new battery will cost a fortune, as will a removable speedo/computer

rubadub wrote: »
    make sure you can lift it so, they are significantly heavier, though if the battery is removable and there are 2 of you it will make a big difference.

I would consider myself to be fairly strong enough but can struggle with mine as it weighs nearly twice as much as some regular bikes I owned, and it feels like more than twice as much. Every extra kilo ontop of the initial ~12kg feels a lot more.

Reading your first post I think an ebike would be absolutely ideal for someone like yourself. Everywhere is flat on an ebike! just be sure to get a top of the range lock. A removable battery also makes it safer if you are locking it up with a high-end lock, since a pro thief will know a new battery will cost a fortune, as will a removable speedo/computer
    Thank you for that. That is two things I would not have thought about being able to lift it, and removable battery.

where are you based? decathlon sell e-bikes, but i think they're operating click and collect only at the moment, i don't think you can call in to eyeball the bike and get a heft of it.

• Advertisement

where are you based? decathlon sell e-bikes, but i think they're operating click and collect only at the moment, i don't think you can call in to eyeball the bike and get a heft of it.
    Definitely not near me.
    I’m in rural Kerry 😅 So will have to work out how to get a look at 1 or if possible hire 1 for a day or two. Not sure if that is even possible in level 5

Hi Coleen

I live in rural Kerry too, and use an ebike to get to the village and back, a trip of 7km each way. I do go on longer trips in the summer, but its mainly village and back.

My own bike is a muddyfox, which was supplied new with a full kit fitted including 16Ah battery from an online supplier. If you already have a bike, or you know what sort of bike you like, than this is a good option. Its an even better option if you live rural as the local bike shop in the village is not scared of it, its based on a normal bike. Some of the shop offerings are quite unlike standard bikes. I have had this bike for many years, had 1 issue which was promptly sorted by the supplier (3 years after I bought it). The total cost then, including the new bike, was 1350 delivered to Kerry.

My recommendations would be to ask your question on the other thread, which is full of boardie's who have ebikes. The majority have used kits, but there are many that have bought completed bikes, mainly from mail order suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

CramCycle wrote: »
    Also, since you mention going out with your husband, make sure the range on the bike is good enough to get you around the same distance. A bike with a dead battery could be a tough job to get home if far enough away and not used to it.

Just following on from this point, my Haibike gives a ongoing range estimate based on current battery charge and the assistance level you are using. The estimate changes immediately when you change up or down assistance levels.

It's very useful for budgeting your battery power on longer trips as you can see in realtime if you need to stretch out your range by moving to less assistance thereby ensuring you don't end up far from home with the dreaded dead battery.

if your budget allows for a bike with this ability it could be very useful for the situation of riding out with your husband.

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    My own bike is a muddyfox, which was supplied new with a full kit fitted including 16Ah battery from an online supplier.
    Coleen - just to explain, what SlowBlowin is talking about is a conversion kit to convert a 'normal' bike to an e-bike.
    however, if the option is available to you, buying a 'native' e-bike may be better; you also benefit from a higher ceiling on the cycle to work scheme as mentioned (€1.25k spend on a traditional bike, €1.5k on an e-bike)

Duckjob wrote: »
    Just following on from this point, my Haibike gives a ongoing range estimate based on current battery charge and the assistance level you are using. The estimate changes immediately when you change up or down assistance levels.

It's very useful for budgeting your battery power on longer trips as you can see in realtime if you need to stretch out your range by moving to less assistance thereby ensuring you don't end up far from home with the dreaded dead battery.

if your budget allows for a bike with this ability it could be very useful for the situation of riding out with your husband.

Great feature and nice looking bikes but those prices !

Coleen - just to explain, what SlowBlowin is talking about is a conversion kit to convert a 'normal' bike to an e-bike.

No that is an option but I bought a complete bike with a warranty as a complete bike.. A kit would be much cheaper but I wanted to unpack it and go.

Lots more to think of.
    I had heard of the kits for my current bike but I felt as I nor my husband are any way mechanical that it would not be a great idea.
    I will check out the other thread and could ask a guy I know who does repair bikes and lawnmowers chainsaws etc so he might be an option to add a kit to my own bike

You can buy bikes, with a kit already fitted, on the cycle to work scheme. There are several Irish bike shops that just take the kit, fit it too a bike, and sell it as a complete ebike. That's only relevant if you are going to use the scheme.

Many of the bikes available in shops are great (some are not), but a lot tend to be expensive for what they are.

There is a lot to be said for having a local cycle shop and buying from there (service and support), but if you are rural and don't have a good local cycle shop (that embraces ebikes) then you are probably ordering on line anyway.

The bikes already mentioned are technically really great, but it might be too high a price... if you look at the haibike website and don't find them expensive then great. If you fall off you chair when you see the prices then a conversion type bike is probably your thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Bigjimdawg

Hi Coleen,

I do understand the appeal of an e-bike but I would really urge you to re consider. Cycling is excellent exercise and as we age, staying active becomes more important than ever in order to increase our chances of having good quality of life well into our senior years.

Would you consider getting an entry level road bike? These bikes are nice and light and designed for distance so I think it would certainly help in keeping up with your husband. Decathlon offer some lovely entry level models for in and around 5-600 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bigjimdawg wrote: »
    Cycling is excellent exercise and as we age, staying active becomes more important than ever in order to increase our chances of having good quality of life well into our senior years.
    I fully agree, and that is why an e-bike is excellent, she is talking about getting a traditional motorbike, or throttled e-bike.

I don't know if you have ever used one? but lots of people seem to think they are like motorbikes and require no effort at all. There are loads of articles about this, its been done to death in other threads so I will not get into it much here.

Cycling is so enjoyable on them that many will end up expending more calories per year on an ebike than a regular one (i.e. you will be out & about on it a lot more).

• Advertisement

Cycling is so enjoyable on them that many will end up expending more calories per year on an ebike than a regular one (i.e. you will be out & about on it a lot more).

That is 100% true in my case..

she is talking about getting a traditional motorbike, or throttled e-bike.
    not sure i see where she's mentioned this?

I fully agree, and that is why an e-bike is excellent, she is talking about getting a traditional motorbike, or throttled e-bike.

I don't know if you have ever used one? but lots of people seem to think they are like motorbikes and require no effort at all. There are loads of articles about this, its been done to death in other threads so I will not get into it much here.

Okay I understand. Well in that case I do think the e bike be the better option over a motor bike (they are incredibly dangerous). I do think maybe it might be worth taking a road bike for a test and see how you feel OP. But if you would be more comfortable on a motorbike or e-bike that's entirely your decision and the best of luck to you.

Bigjimdawg wrote: »
    Hi Coleen,

I do understand the appeal of an e-bike but I would really urge you to re consider. Cycling is excellent exercise and as we age, staying active becomes more important than ever in order to increase our chances of having good quality of life well into our senior years.

Would you consider getting an entry level road bike? These bikes are nice and light and designed for distance so I think it would certainly help in keeping up with your husband. Decathlon offer some lovely entry level models for in and around 5-600 euros.
    You are sounding like my husband, he says I need to make friends with the hills . I do lots of exercise but I had felt I would enjoy the cycling a bit better if I was not under pressure going up the hills.
    What I really was thinking of was some pedalling but when I got to the hills the engine would do the hard work. I definitely think I need to hire an ebike to see if it is what I’m looking for.

You are sounding like my husband, he says I need to make friends with the hills . I do lots of exercise but I had felt I would enjoy the cycling a bit better if I was not under pressure going up the hills.
    What I really was thinking of was some pedalling but when I got to the hills the engine would do the hard work. I definitely think I need to hire an ebike to see if it is what I’m looking for.

I actually didn't realise that you still do peddle manually with the e-bike..maybe that would be ideal. Best of luck with it.

I had not thought of it as a motorbike or throttled ebike . What I was thinking was more of a traditional bike with assistance on the hills. So maybe that’s not what an ebike is ?
    I definitely think I need to hire one out to see if it was I am looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I had not thought of it as a motorbike or throttled ebike . What I was thinking was more of a traditional bike with assistance on the hills. So maybe that’s not what an ebike is ?
    I definitely think I need to hire one out to see if it was I am looking for

The magic term when it comes to e-bikes (legal ones that is) is "pedelec", or in simple terms, "electric pedal assist". That means the motor kicks in and assists whilst you are pedalling, up to a certain speed (roughly 27kph EU-wide if I recall) after which the motor will not assist you further and you will be pedalling on your own steam, until your speed drops below that threshold and you once again get an assist from the motor whilst pedalling.

Any bike with a throttle is illegal and is not classified as an e-bike.

Lemming wrote: »
    The magic term when it comes to e-bikes (legal ones that is) is "pedelec", or in simple terms, "electric pedal assist". That means the motor kicks in and assists whilst you are pedalling, up to a certain speed (roughly 27kph EU-wide if I recall) after which the motor will not assist you further and you will be pedalling on your own steam, until your speed drops below that threshold and you once again get an assist from the motor whilst pedalling.

Any bike with a throttle is illegal and is not classified as an e-bike.
    Electric pedal assist is exactly what I’m looking for , I am quite prepared to do a good bit of pedalling and put in some effort but wanted just to make it more comfortable on some of the tougher hills

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The price of eBikes is bonkers. An entry level Orbea road bike is €1,000 with an 8 speed groupset and mechanical discs. The eBike equivalent is €2,500. Yes, you would get a nice carbon bike with 105 groupset and hydraulic discs but it's not the same.

When I rented an Orbea Gain last year I cycled 80km in a day no sweat when I'd normally do 40km on my bike. I still had to work uphill but it's less agonising. I cycled my 22km trip to work no bother. There's a lot of long gentle inclines on the second half that I really struggle with, I'd normally get to work pumping sweat. No bother with the Orbea.

In saying that I'm tempted to consider an eBike for commuting 45km work. I'm due to change my car later in the year, I could hold off for a few months and use the money to pay for a new bike...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Halfords do a good range of ebikes (there's a branch in Tralee). I bought a carrera crossfire E last year and I would highly recommend it, a good solid hybrid with a great range and very well priced. They are pedal assist up to 25kph, so completely road legal, and they operate the bike to work scheme.

Advertisement