Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baldonnell as a freight hub?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

LXFlyer wrote: »
    I hate to burst a few bubbles here.

The elephant in the room here is the flightpath of the runway and the housing underneath and around it.

I find it extraordinary that over the three and bit pages here, some of the proponents of the notion don't even seem to realise that.

I really cannot see the local communities across south Dublin accepting the idea of Baldonnel's conversion to a cargo airport with a consequent uplift in activity and aircraft size and noise .

The approach to the main runway is across Tallaght, Templeogue, Knocklyon, Rathfarnham, Ballinteer and Dundrum.

At present there are limited flight operations at the airfield, that cause minimal noise disruption to those residents.

The idea that people are going to suddenly accept much greater activity and noise, and at night, is to me farcical.

I cannot see that ever being acceptable to the residents, and politically it could be suicidal for a party that pushed for it.

Over 30 years ago now,I attended a Public Meeting held by Ryanair (I forget the location,but possibly The Belgard Inn) on the topic of the Airline's suggestion to accquire Baldonnel and use it as their Dublin base.

The plan allowed for a new access spur to and from the N7 and the provision of new facilities for the Aer Corps to allow shared operations.

Some Local politicians along with Dr Tony Ryan hisself,were in attendance along with other senior managerial figures,but no M O'L as far as I recall.

The meeting did not go well for Ryanair,as outlined by LxFlyer the locals were not in the least impressed with the possibility of Jets falling from the sky or whizzin over the rooftops on approach.

Such was the vehemence of the response,it appears Ryanair reasessed it's plan and I heard no more of it in the locality.

Oh well.....at least we sleep soundly in our beds at night.

Mind you,it does remind one of why Ireland never embarked on a Lunar Programme :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Main runway not long enough for normal operations. Ideally would also need a parallel taxiway.
    Move the whole lot to Shannon over a phased period. Let the locals have their lie ins.

Maybe the locals shouldn't have moved to an area that had an airport right beside it!??!?!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The posts suggesting that various services at other airports just close and move to Shannon remind me of the Onion article "New STEM Initiative Just Tries To Dissuade Students In Other Countries From Pursuing Science Careers".

Are things that bad in Shannon that they have to resort to suggesting other airports shut down in order to give Shannon more to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Psychlops

a/tel wrote: »
    The security provided by Casement cannot be replicated in DUB unless a secure compound, hanger and associated maintenance facility is built. Basing AC pilots outside a military establishment could be a logistical issue also.

Of course it can. Any stop can be pulled out, Dublin is secure enough as it is right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Air Corps goes from weakness to weakness..You cant spin this in a positive light no matter how you look at it. Same for the Navy.

https://flyinginireland.com/2021/03/cae-to-train-irish-air-corps-pilots-in-the-usa/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,805 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not enough ramp space both for parking and handling multiple widebody / narrowbody aircraft... storage for ULDs, storage for GSE, offices for the staff, parking for staff...

Parking for aircraft ? Where ? There are daily flights operated by / for... UPS, FedEx, DHL, TNT, plus the weekly Air France 777F / 747 and some smaller operators.not enough parking / ramp space..... where is the office space for load masters, ramp loaders / agents, managers, GSE maintenance, pilot briefing, ramp control, and break rooms, toilets, cloakrooms, meeting rooms, training rooms.. GSE parking, tugs, mulags, baggage carts, dollys ? Crew van ?

You ‘see’ a cargo aircraft being loaded, that’s the ‘end’ product... but to make it go smoothly...more space, more hours, more people, equipment, vehicles...places to store them...not even near or anywhere close to being near enough space in baldonnel, airside or landslide.

Also be issues with the transfer of cargo from a legal / security / customs point of view...DOT will never approve it without massive investment and changes... operators won’t want it, it’s not an appropriate facility... not unless the aer corps end up elsewhere.

Advertisement