Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best time of year to join French Foreign Legion

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Do many Irish people join the foreign Legion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Piehead wrote: »

Not many, but there are a few:

A young lad from my village (I would say 19 or 20 at the time) told his parents that he was going away on holidays for a few days; rang them from the FFL recruitment office to tell them that he had signed up for 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,028 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Piehead wrote: »
    Not at this time of year.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭4Ad

Knew 2..One lad was a year below me in school (Ennis), strange, stern lad..you wouldn't cross him and that was befote he joined up..
    2nd lad was going out with a girl in the local village, full of ****e talk...also a lad you wouldn't cross, hardy boyo...

While inter railing back in '92 (my God), there was posters in Nice railway station asking people to join...the lad with me seriously considered it, got forms and read books about it...he fell in love, that ended that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Just reread the whole thread in one sitting.
    Only seeing bits of it at a time do not do it justice- it's like seeing the Sistine Chapel bit by bit over a month.
    The artistry involved in this is astounding.
    Max Prophet I for one salute you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

I wonder did this man live his dream?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Perhaps theres no wifi in the hills of Afghanistan so he cant keep us updated,viva le France.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I would like to sign up. Do they allow you to work from home??

• Site Banned Posts: 22 JimCore

Bradlin wrote: »
    Yes, and the locals are very hospitable. They welcome foreigners with open arms, especially those in military uniform.

The French Foreign Legion is a real holiday camp. Plus you get to meet some lovely French people.

What would you know about the legion!?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

You'd want to be a mentalist to join now considering that the Irish Army is recruiting all the time and failing that, you have our nearest neighbours who pay better, the contract is only 4 years instead of 5 and with them you'd have more of an opportunity to go away to different places than with the legion. FFL is only reserved for the lunatics of lunatics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Best time to join is 5 years ago, you'd be out now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Could be off to Ukraine soon.

https://tass.com/politics/1769801

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Have just read through this whole thread once again and once more I am in awe of the op's mastery at wind ups.

Best thread ever to have graced these illustrious boards.

Advertisement