Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far is your commute and what type of bike?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

30 - 40 km round trip, depending on site, also on a Genesis Flyer, fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

20K roundtrip. SCD to D'inner Cidy
    steel single-speed 16-46 tooth, B17 saddle, Ultegra rim brakes (nice)
    28ml gatorskins,, Dual flat/MTB pedals. Raceblade mudguards
    Timbuk2 backpack with shirt, socks, socks, laptop and papers.
    MTB shorts, POC rain-cape, 700Lumen front 300 back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

25km each way on a 1980 Peugeot fitted with 94 Record. Lockers, showers and drying room in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

25k each way 3 days a week on a road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

About 15km each way on an old Felt hybrid I picked up on DoneDeal for €100. I added mudguards and replaced pads & cables etc. It's a heavy thing but I love cycling it. It's quite different to the road bike and ideal for the rough road surface or anything else I throw at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Blahfool wrote: »
    2k to and from the train station on a woeful road bike...

....Then 5-6k across Dublin on an 80s Peugeot roadie...
    Presumably the Peugeot is locked up at the train station when not in use?

Is it ever tampered with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

12km each way on a trek hybrid. I gots all the gear. Pimped out fully.

I fookin love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blahfool

Presumably the Peugeot is locked up at the train station when not in use?

Is it ever tampered with?

A couple of times a month I'll see a cut lock on the ground, but this is the second bike I've left there in the last couple of years (first one also rough looking) and I've been lucky (so far, others clearly haven't).

I would say its related to appearance / how I lock it, but only because others provide easier targets (single U-lock on the crossbar etc). Actually considered a locker there, not particularly expensive for storing the 'good' bike, but the ABC sales guy wrecked my head enough to put me off.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

veganrun wrote: »
    My commute is currently quite short, I'd say about 5k per day and I use a hybrid. It's a good sturdy bike for commuting with 35c tyres, mudguards, lights etc.

Sounds ideal for a longer commute. Upgrade the tyres to something nice (marathon supremes are way too heavy and slow), wide and fast and stay dry with your mudguards.

I do 14km each way on a 14kg steel touring bike. Wide tyres, mudguards, lights, carrier rack. Drop bars though I mostly use the tops/hoods on the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

25km each way on my Claude Butler trekking bike. Only about 5km is on the road though. The rest is on the Waterford Greenway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

11km each way on a Lapierre Audacio 400 road bike with rear mudguard & lights. 25mm gatorskin hardshells on front & back, yet to get a puncture with them. Shimano Tiagra set up with a 105 rear derailleur as the original one got shredded in the spokes due to a bent hanger. Showers & locker in work & secure bike parking.

I used to do the commute on a Lapierre Shaper 300 hybrid til it got nicked from a hotel carpark. It was perfect for the distance too, would consider getting another one as liked the convenience of not being clipped for the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Currently do about 12km each way on a cross bike, with pannier rack as I don't like back packs/ sweaty back.

Still mulling over changing to the "winter" endurance framed road bike - already have mudguards, is disc braked (albeit mechanical), and I'm planning on extending the commute a bit some of the mornings for training purposes. Looking at light pannier racks, that'll fit over disc brakes, as I weighed the full bag on friday and it wasn't close to half the 25kg limit they generally have even with beers in the bottom! Most light ones don't appear to fit disk brakes though*, although haven't rulled out a bike packing saddle bag either as it is generally just lunches and clothes and a small bit of paper work!

*Edit - it seems the calipers are the issue, so I should be ok, as mine are between the seat stay and chain stay - tortec ultra light ordered to find out anyway! Probably should've tried fitting my existing ones first mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭breadmond

12km each way with about 150m climb in the morning (Don't think I could manage if it was on the way home!)

Use a steel road bike with 105 and disks. 25c tyres at the moment but looking at 32s for winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

breadmond wrote: »
    12km each way with about 150m climb in the morning (Don't think I could manage if it was on the way home!)

Conversely I've the opposite 90m to work, 180m on way home.
    Knowing work is mostly downhill helps a lot to get out the door on the bike!

going home is grand... unless there is a headwind!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

- 13km each way
    - Road Bike (Old Giant Defy 2 with 105)
    - Mostly along the coast, great views, bastard wind ;)
    - Sometimes add in a loop of howth head if feeling energetic

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

6k each way on a Trek 1.2 - I think the tyres are 28s, changed them a year or two ago when I put a baby seat on the back. Can't remember exactly.

All very flat and easy - I used to do 11k each way with about 100m climb in the first/last 1km (depending on direction).

Starting to feel the lack of kms since the new commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭JMcL

Lumpy 14km each way (between 100 and 180m climbing depending on chosen route), mix of busy roads and grass in the middle boreens

Bikes are 2009 Specialized Allez upgraded over the years (Ksyrium wheels, 105 5800 group), or Genesis Croix de Fer with Tiagra, mudguards, rack - soon to have dynamo hub - depending on how the mood takes me (or weather dictates)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I usually get the dart these days cos most fo the work showers are out of action. But when I can it's a 19km trip each way.
    On an Orbea Vector hybrid, Rigid fork, hydrolic disc brakes, 28c tyres.
    Flat bar, 2 usb lights on the front, one at the back. Helmet mounted GoPro session. I use a back pack to carry my gear, using a camelpak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Haven't done it in a while but its about 28k round trip. 14k each way.

Very old MTB, (no suspension) with slicks, carrier and panniers. Pretty much replaced everything on it. I hindsight a decent new hybrid, or Cross Bike would have been a wiser thing to use. MTB is currently broken. Not sure if its worth fixing. I like to move to something with a more upright position.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

4km on a singlespeed - a lot more fun than the hybrid I used to do it on. handy as I don't need a change of clothes but I'd like a longer commute (summer only ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

cdaly_ wrote: »

Sounds ideal for a longer commute. Upgrade the tyres to something nice (marathon supremes are way too heavy and slow), wide and fast and stay dry with your mudguards.

I do 14km each way on a 14kg steel touring bike. Wide tyres, mudguards, lights, carrier rack. Drop bars though I mostly use the tops/hoods on the commute.

I currently have 35c Marathon plus tyres on it. They seem good but the bike definitely seemed slower as soon as I put them on. But I cycle a lot of city streets where people are nice enough to leave bits of broken glass so it's kind of a price to pay for hopefully less/no punctures.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

12k each way.

Old Specialized Sirrus. Not sure what I'd call it but it's a hybrid with bit of racer in there. Converted to 1x up front as literally never used the granny. Sram Apex all around and same mech for 8 years - it's decent entry level stuff. Carbon forks take some of the knocks.

Now have Conti 4 Season tyres - loving them so far this year. 28c up front, 25 on the back. Try to keep them at 100psi so I fly along. Had Gatorskins for years but they were shi*e in the wet, and I lost faith in them.

Only gripe are the rim brakes - when the roads get really minging in winter I go through brakes pads pretty quickly. Would love to get new carbon forks with disc brake mount and convert front at least to disc - but I'm already well into Trigger's Brush territory so might just get a new bike at some point.

No panniers - I use a backpack and I do not leave the house withOUT the Go Pro these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

steamsey wrote: »
    ... and I do not leave the house with the Go Pro these days.
    Without? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

ted1 wrote: »
    30km each way. , road bike , use dynamo wheel in winter, race blades mudguards.
    Use 25mm tyres.

Just bring in shirt, jocks, socks and lunch box each day in a back pack

Fair play. I'm going to be jumping from 7k each way to 30 soon and nervous about whether I'll be able

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭WMP

38km each way which is basically flat with a few bumps along the way. There is an off road bike path that runs parallel to the road and is about 1.5km longer. The bike path runs along a river most of the way so its very nice and has the advantage of no cars, lights etc. Downside is its a rough surface so the road is quicker and less effort.

I cycle 2 or 3 times a week but generally only in the morning and come back by car. I much prefer the morning commute and don't often cycle both ways in one day.

I have a 5 year old ALU Cannondale cross bike (CAADX). I bought it for 940 pounds from Evans cycles. Solid frame and shimano 105 setup but cheap brakes and wheels so I upgraded it over the years. I had the local bike shop build a set of wheels for it about 2 years ago and it was a great upgrade. I think they cost me 500 euro for the wheelset and its a set of DT Swiss R 460 rims and hope hubs - they look and sound great and run beautifully. Light and sturdy wheels that are still perfectly true after a good 10k. Very happy with them. I was going to buy a set of DT Swiss wheels that were common on many CX bikes but he said he didnt like them and could build me a much better set for around the same price. I'm glad I went with his build and the hope hubs.

He also put new canti brakes on it which were a big improvement over the stock brakes. They were frankly sh^te even in dry conditions. Cheap brakes but also not set up correctly which I learned makes a massive difference.

Mine was probably one of the last CX bikes built before disc brakes became standard. But being honest I'd prefer the canti brakes. They don't have the same brute stopping power but are plenty good enough and most importantly require zero maintenance.

I use 28mm conti GP 4000's all year and change to 42mm conti speed rides for the winter. Can recommend the speed ride tyres. Good grip in the wet, snow and ice and run very nicely also.

This year I upgraded the gear train to 1 x 11 SRAM force and am very pleased with that setup. I have 11 - 36 on the back and 42 on the front which gives me a good range. It also makes it a good winter road bike option when I dont want to take my nice road bike out in the ****ty weather.

I have clip on mudguards and carry my gear on my back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭tc20

7km each way on my 3 yr old BTW Lapierre Cross 300 with a pannier. Bike has hydraulic discs & front suspension.
    Nice climb each morning up Windgates, takes around 25mins each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Little under 8km each way.
    Surly cross check.
    Rear pannier for lunch/clothes or to pick up things in the shop on the way home.
    Front mounted child seat at times for the crèche run.
    My favourite part of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Short commute for me of about 2k each way with 1km at 6% or so on a Cube Hybrid Cross bike.

Great fun coming home though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

This was me for years. I'd say I had over 20K km city/urban cycling on my single speed. There's no better bike for urban stuff, even if the commute is a bit on the longer side. What changed it for me was having a route that took me down the coast from Portmarnock, the strong winds just made the singlespeed difficult to use. But if I ever moved closer I'd be back on my trusty single again.

Yeah I think 10k is the sweetspot for using a singlespeed in Dublin which is basically anywhere within the M50 if you work city centre

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Currently 5 km With pannier, locks,lunch and rain gear.planet X road bike
    15 -20minutes with hill both ways.
    Never realised I was so unfit!

Advertisement