Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mens Rights Thread

Options

Comments

Calhoun wrote: »
    I seen something on reddit recently that summed this up, it was in the r/karen joke sub. Basically some woman put a drop of period blood on the floor in a unisex bathroom to basically one up the men.

A guy responded with piss all over the seat and implying you dont want to play this game lol.

If i seen blood on the floor of a pub bathroom id think someone had a fight and a bleeding nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I honestly blame sugar, stress, and sedentry living. I've been stressed before and I would immediately go for the sugar high fat items, but now I have turned full hippy and I go for the herbal teas. India seems to be pretty good, imo, as a lot of the spices curb sugar cravings, and if there's chilli it will wake you up a little bit.

I am usually kind of oblivious to stress, but I've literally realized yesterday I'm having the same issue.

I took a couple of days off last week, just pure "do nothing" relax. Being at home, by myself, doing whatever I pleased, I could have been used for a medical insurance advert the whole extended week end: couple of gym sessions, turkey breast, fish, salad for lunch/dinner, yoghurt for breakfast and so on.

Went back to work on Monday - by lunch I was already craving bad stuff (I mean as food, although I might have secretly wished explosive diarrhea to a couple of coworkers!). By the time I got back home, I said "feck off" to the gym and dug into sandwiches and cookies.

The fact many of us have jobs that are so sh1tty/boring/useless they literally tire your soul is something worth of a consideration. I am lucky enough not to have a spouse or kids weighing my choices down, so come January I'll most likely be handing my notice in, but most people don't have such luxury.

Mind you, that's not at all an exclusively a "male issue", although there could be a case for saying the concept "your job/salary is your worth" to be more important for guys than it is for the ladies.
    I can see how it could be seen as sexist as it doesn't mention women, but male obesity (more overweight imo) is quite a big deal.

It is, but there's a huge fault in the reporting method - the mathematical formula for the BMI is faulty in terms of over-reporting "fatness" as the height increases and "thinness" as it decreases. But don't take my word for it:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265215.php#3

What happens is very simple: a 1.60m tall, 62kg individual is "healthy" according to BMI, while a 1.80m, 82kg one is "overweight" by the same formula.

Considering the vast majority of women are shorter than the vast majority of men, it's clear to see what's happening when reports based on BMI paint the female population as "mostly in an healthy weight range".

When you add the different build distribution by biology - men having higher bone density and muscle mass - the double whammy is complete; The 1.60m, 62kg woman is considered "healthy" while being, in fact, considerably fatter in proportion to the 1.80, 82kg dude...unless she's an Olympic weightlifter and he's a "skinnyfat" soy-latte sipper.

This is not a "sexism" issue as much as one purely made of bad mathematics and sheer ignorance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I am usually kind of oblivious to stress, but I've literally realized yesterday I'm having the same issue.

I took a couple of days off last week, just pure "do nothing" relax. Being at home, by myself, doing whatever I pleased, I could have been used for a medical insurance advert the whole extended week end: couple of gym sessions, turkey breast, fish, salad for lunch/dinner, yoghurt for breakfast and so on.

Went back to work on Monday - by lunch I was already craving bad stuff (I mean as food, although I might have secretly wished explosive diarrhea to a couple of coworkers!). By the time I got back home, I said "feck off" to the gym and dug into sandwiches and cookies.

The fact many of us have jobs that are so sh1tty/boring/useless they literally tire your soul is something worth of a consideration. I am lucky enough not to have a spouse or kids weighing my choices down, so come January I'll most likely be handing my notice in, but most people don't have such luxury.

Mind you, that's not at all an exclusively a "male issue", although there could be a case for saying the concept "your job/salary is your worth" to be more important for guys than it is for the ladies.

It is, but there's a huge fault in the reporting method - the mathematical formula for the BMI is faulty in terms of over-reporting "fatness" as the height increases and "thinness" as it decreases. But don't take my word for it:

What happens is very simple: a 1.60m tall, 62kg individual is "healthy" according to BMI, while a 1.80m, 82kg one is "overweight" by the same formula.

Considering the vast majority of women are shorter than the vast majority of men, it's clear to see what's happening when reports based on BMI paint the female population as "mostly in an healthy weight range".

When you add the different build distribution by biology - men having higher bone density and muscle mass - the double whammy is complete; The 1.60m, 62kg woman is considered "healthy" while being, in fact, considerably fatter in proportion to the 1.80, 82kg dude...unless she's an Olympic weightlifter and he's a "skinnyfat" soy-latte sipper.

This is not a "sexism" issue as much as one purely made of bad mathematics and sheer ignorance :D

Yeah, I used to roll my eyes at the insult towards soy-latter men, but I can kind of see it now after meeting a few. Tbh, I feel like they're two steps short from being bad men imo.

There are a lot of spices that will help curb sugar levels. Cinnamon in a cup of coffee is great, star anise is another, and eating cheese I find is a nice sugar cut. Or chilli to get the blood flowing and 'healthy' stress. Maybe it tricks the body into thinking it's moving?

It's interesting aspect in regards to non western traditional medicine vs western medicine in regards to male sexual health. I've noticed that a lot of Indian healthy teas for men seem to focus on sexual health as well as testosterone, and it's interesting how western cultures seem to belittle the importance of testosterone. Just a strange sidenote to a strange online forum post.

It's interesting aspect in regards to non western traditional medicine vs western medicine in regards to male sexual health. I've noticed that a lot of Indian healthy teas for men seem to focus on sexual health as well as testosterone, and it's interesting how western cultures seem to belittle the importance of testosterone. Just a strange sidenote to a strange online forum post.

I've always had relatively low testosterone levels but I dislike going the western medicine route. It's caused issues with sexual performance before, although it's something that seems to come and go. In China, I get regular acupuncture sessions, which appear to have removed the problem entirely. Haven't had any issues since I started almost 7 years ago, and my sexual life is quite active. I'm in my early 40s btw, smoke tobacco and don't exercise much beyond walking and swimming. There's a lot to be said for the eastern medicines. Sure, a lot of it is very vague on results, but others can be very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

Not sure if it's related, but I remember reading that the way men carry fat is worse for them. ie Overweight/obese men tend to be more apple shaped with fat around the waist, whereas women more pear shaped with fat around the behind and thighs. The accumulation of fat around the waist results in a more significant health risk for cardiac diseases, diabetes and cancer. Maybe this is a factor in having a more aggressive BMI target for men? Because where the fat accumulates is more harmful. Anyway, BMI should only be taken as a loose guideline, not really an accurate indicator.

• Advertisement

newport2 wrote: »
    Not sure if it's related, but I remember reading that the way men carry fat is worse for them. ie Overweight/obese men tend to be more apple shaped with fat around the waist, whereas women more pear shaped with fat around the behind and thighs. The accumulation of fat around the waist results in a more significant health risk for cardiac diseases, diabetes and cancer. Maybe this is a factor in having a more aggressive BMI target for men? Because where the fat accumulates is more harmful. Anyway, BMI should only be taken as a loose guideline, not really an accurate indicator.

Men do indeed tend to carry "intra-abdominal fat", which is basically fat beneath the muscle layer that is in direct contact with the organs (including the heart), hence worse for blood circulation that subcutaneous fat - which is more common in women. The typical hard-as-rock "beer belly" is the most classic example of intra-abdominal fat.

That said, many guys don't store fat intra-abdominally, I am one such examples.

The BMI doesn't have more or less "aggressive" targets for men and women, it just heavily favours people of shorter heights; Which is no surprise whatsoever, seeing it's a completely made up formula invented by a mathematician (not a physician) back in 1830, when the average height of a man was around 1.64m in Europe...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if you wanted a simple measure, your waist as measured by a tape typically around your bellybutton (not pants size) should be at or under 50% of your height

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭iptba

Just a random post that came up in my Tumblr feed:
    3000s

college is like [meets a rlly pretty woman] [meets an ugly man] [meets a loud man] [meets a woman with life-changing insight] [meets a man with no regard for other people] [meets a man who perceives himself as the smartest in the room] etc etc
    https://say-never.tumblr.com/post/189380496729

This has 54,981 notes, which means that at least 27,991 people have either liked it or re-blogged it :(

iptba wrote: »
    Just a random post that came up in my Tumblr feed:

https://say-never.tumblr.com/post/189380496729

This has 54,981 notes, which means that at least 27,991 people have either liked it or re-blogged it :(

I imagine that was from America. It sounds sexist, but I kind of find it odd how women are so belittling to men over there. It's just something I've kind of noticed.

Tbh, the whole 'think's he's the smartest' is more daring to ever voice an opinion :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It's all part of the narcissism epidemic if you ask me, it is affecting how people see themselves, image wise and intellectually....it is rampant...these people will be unemployable in years to come!

• Advertisement

It's all part of the narcissism epidemic if you ask me, it is affecting how people see themselves, image wise and intellectually....it is rampant...these people will be unemployable in years to come!

I do wonder how much the depictions of rape and the false studies about rape have changed how women view men.

Are we all creatures so desirous/afraid of them that we will spend most of our adult life in jail having a very bad time? :confused:

I do wonder how much the depictions of rape and the false studies about rape have changed how women view men.

Some influence all right, but in all fairness this "boys=scum" attitude, especially in American movies and TV series, has always existed. It's only natural it rubs off the real population, pretty much like many Irish and British teens go around speaking in an American accent (conversely, a friend of mine in the US has a little daughter who picked up a British accent off of...Peppa Pig!!!).

Are we all creatures so desirous/afraid of them that we will spend most of our adult life in jail having a very bad time? :confused:

The bolded one, spectacularly strong one. Guys deny their very own nature for that. There's an entire chapter in Norah Vincent's "Self Made Man" about the sheer, unquestionable, unstoppable power women hold on men, usually without even realizing, through sheer attraction/seduction.

Some influence all right, but in all fairness this "boys=scum" attitude, especially in American movies and TV series, has always existed. It's only natural it rubs off the real population, pretty much like many Irish and British teens go around speaking in an American accent (conversely, a friend of mine in the US has a little daughter who picked up a British accent off of...Peppa Pig!!!).

The bolded one, spectacularly strong one. Guys deny their very own nature for that. There's an entire chapter in Norah Vincent's "Self Made Man" about the sheer, unquestionable, unstoppable power women hold on men, usually without even realizing, through sheer attraction/seduction.

I think the powers overstated, but I grew up with sisters and I got used to their freinds flirting to get stuff :P

I do wonder about what effect it would have if men could sexualise themselves in the same women could. Wearing padded shirts, tatoos, underwear to make a bulge bigger, guy liner to narrow eyes, makeup to give a more one night stand appealing face, and special hand wear to make the hands look stronger and more masculine. As in, wear outfits that are giving biological hints at sex.

There's a bit of a movie coming out about the modern day, and very little talked about, horror that was Guatanemo Bay.

I wonder how much they will focus on the female to male emotional/sexual/physical violence that occured? It seems to have been really weaponized agaisnt the inmates to a suprising degree.

You can research it online.

Daddy's home: fathers and the paternity leave dilemma
    Generous paid paternity leave has arrived in Ireland but, while interest is rising, it won't revolutionise family life any time soon, writes Yvonne Hogan
    https://www.independent.ie/life/family/parenting/daddys-home-fathers-and-the-paternity-leave-dilemma-38757540.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Genourous paternity leave has not arrived other than for a minuscule percentage that work in the relevant companies. I know my own place offer zero so you are reliant on social welfare payments of €110 a week (or so). Unfortunately my mortgage is alot more than this so for alot of people the concept of paternity payments are a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Genourous paternity leave has not arrived other than for a minuscule percentage that work in the relevant companies. I know my own place offer zero so you are reliant on social welfare payments of €110 a week (or so). Unfortunately my mortgage is alot more than this so for alot of people the concept of paternity payments are a waste of time.

Three companies that is it and even at that it will take allot longer for the stigma of paternity leave to go away.

Its not just a case of making it available but also having it done in a manner that isn't damaging to the career. It would go allot easier if legal protections around maternity leave were extended to paternity.

Does anybody else find it funny that men are seen as sex obsessed/one track minded when all of the great artists, cooks, architects, and even psychologists are men? :P

Does anybody else find it funny that men are seen as sex obsessed/one track minded when all of the great artists, cooks, architects, and even psychologists are men? :P

Well anyone who thinks this is probably a big sexist. The great works of men are evidence that this is not the case but there are probably some who did these great works because it made them more attractive to the opposite sex.

It also doesn't mean all the great works have been men, women have delivered some very important stuff to the world.

Well anyone who thinks this is probably a big sexist. The great works of men are evidence that this is not the case but there are probably some who did these great works because it made them more attractive to the opposite sex.

It also doesn't mean all the great works have been men, women have delivered some very important stuff to the world.

I would respectfully disagree with that one, I have no doubt how attractive a man thinks he will be to women does/can dictate what a man does, especially when it comes to what they earn....when it comes to the extreme's where a person defines their life on what they do or achieve very often sacrifice all the things that normal life brings....creative talent or the pursuit of excellence is torture more often than not...it is testament to human endeavor that drives a person, man or woman, to succeed in the extreme!

As for men being sex obsessed I think men (that are sex obsessed) grow out of that phase in their early twenties...I can only speak for myself, but when I'm in the company of other males and more often than not that is where I find myself...we never talk about sex or women!

• Advertisement

I would respectfully disagree with that one, I have no doubt how attractive a man thinks he will be to women does/can dictate what a man does, especially when it comes to what they earn....when it comes to the extreme's where a person defines their life on what they do or achieve very often sacrifice all the things that normal life brings....creative talent or the pursuit of excellence is torture more often than not...it is testament to human endeavor that drives a person, man or woman, to succeed in the extreme!

As for men being sex obsessed I think men (that are sex obsessed) grow out of that phase in their early twenties...I can only speak for myself, but when I'm in the company of other males and more often than not that is where I find myself...we never talk about sex or women!

Well thats why i said some and not all, i was mainly countering the point of absolutes because nobody can say for sure what one group of people will do based on something as simple as sex.

I remember when the myth that men think about sex every 7 seconds was effectively debunked with this study:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/thinking-about-sex/
    A study done through Ohio State University (OSU) for the January 2012 issue of the Journal of Sex Research revealed that the median value for the number of times men thought about sex was 19 times a day (as compared to 10 times a day for women). To collect the data, 120 male and 163 female unmarried heterosexual OSU students between the ages of 18 and 25 were armed for a week with golf tally counters and instructed to click them each time sex crossed their minds. (Other students tracked how many times they thought about eating and sleeping.) Among the individual men in the study, there was a range of between one and 388 thoughts of sex a day, while with women it was between one and 140.

I was amazed it ever got any traction.

Also, these are younger men, so men who are older may think about sex less.

I remember when the myth that men think about sex every 7 seconds was effectively debunked with this study:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/thinking-about-sex/

I was amazed it ever got any traction.

The amount of ridiculous narratives regarding men that have gotten way too much traction is off the charts these days...I'd be inclined to advise young men to keep away from media these days...and feminists....if they are not trying to convince you that you are complicit in a rape culture, you are somehow toxic by virtue of your gender...obnoxious stuff!!!

Eh, I was being petty and meant mostly all. You don't need to regulate the evil man, Calhoun :P

Tbh, I want to write a novel for myself not so that I'll get laid. I used to believe that when I was younger, but I don't believe men are doing everything to get laid.

Edit: As a sidenote, I'm not a sexist and that's a pretty big accusation imo.

Eh, I was being petty and meant mostly all. You don't need to regulate the evil man, Calhoun :P

Tbh, I want to write a novel for myself not so that I'll get laid. I used to believe that when I was younger, but I don't believe men are doing everything to get laid.

Edit: As a sidenote, I'm not a sexist and that's a pretty big accusation imo.

Not at all i don't personally care what you do, but when it comes to men's rights i try to focus on equality, although i am bad at it at times and just react. Would hate to be so hard line and non self-aware like some militant parts of other sexes.

I never said you were sexist either, i was referring to anyone who thinks that all men are only motivated by sex are sexist. The only part if your statement that was possibly sexist would have been that all the great works are by men.

Well, I find as I get older, that I spend more time thinking about the emotional aspects of intimacy rather than the physical. I've been single and dating most of my adult life, so I've had a wider variety of experiences than many others. At least in conversations, this shows up a lot. In any case, I still think about sex a few times a day, but I also think about romance. My 20s I was always thinking about sex, my 30s was when it started declining, and now in my 40s, it's an occasional thing.

Still... I think different people (m/f) have different sexual drives. I would consider my own sexual drive to be lower than many of my friends. ;)

I'm on my third published book, and none of them were to get laid. They were for my own sense of achievement.

Women want to believe that they're the center of the universe for males. That sex is their overwhelming trump card to influence us. Honestly, I don't think it is except for young males, and a minority of older guys, but stereotypes must be promoted.

Not at all i don't personally care what you do, but when it comes to men's rights i try to focus on equality, although i am bad at it at times and just react. Would hate to be so hard line and non self-aware like some militant parts of other sexes.

I never said you were sexist either, i was referring to anyone who thinks that all men are only motivated by sex are sexist. The only part if your statement that was possibly sexist would have been that all the great works are by men.

Ah, I see what you mean, and I can see how my comment was a little bit sexist in some ways. The next paragraph is more of a continuation of the paragraph tha na reply just to let you know.

There are cultural reasons why men are remembered more and why the achievements of men have had more of an effect, but it doesn't devalue what men have accomplished. We have built roads, the internet, a lot of modern medicine, the buildings around you and the food that is delivered. I am not in anyway saying that women are lesser or have accomplished less, but I am highlighting what men have accomplished.

Men are not animals and we are not fragile masculine creatures that need help. Men are people who have an extremely vital part in the society and society would be worse off if the men dissapeared, which is absurd that some people (not you calhoun) have to be told that.

The amount of ridiculous narratives regarding men that have gotten way too much traction is off the charts these days...I'd be inclined to advise young men to keep away from media these days...and feminists....if they are not trying to convince you that you are complicit in a rape culture, you are somehow toxic by virtue of your gender...obnoxious stuff!!!

You should keep an eye out for how often arousal and punishment feature in a lot of hollywood films. You can see it in the new Harley Quinn film where the character is stripping and then breaks the mans legs, and, imo, its a sign of a bad view of men. Kind of like wearing revealing clothes and then glaring at a man :P

Ah, I see what you mean, and I can see how my comment was a little bit sexist in some ways. The next paragraph is more of a continuation of the paragraph tha na reply just to let you know.

There are cultural reasons why men are remembered more and why the achievements of men have had more of an effect, but it doesn't devalue what men have accomplished. We have built roads, the internet, a lot of modern medicine, the buildings around you and the food that is delivered. I am not in anyway saying that women are lesser or have accomplished less, but I am highlighting what men have accomplished.

Men are not animals and we are not fragile masculine creatures that need help. Men are people who have an extremely vital part in the society and society would be worse off if the men dissapeared, which is absurd that some people (not you calhoun) have to be told that.

Indeed we seem to have lost our way in the mainstream internet age, you only have to look across the border. It not the only issue but one of the reasons why the likes of the Tories are doing so well even though they have basically fed the English people a **** sandwich for the past 10 years is that they are attacking men or the history of men in the same way that labour and the left are.

The fact is in the UK much like the rest of the modern world we live in is built upon the bones of men.

If i was a citizen i would be very reluctant to vote in the current labor government also.

• Advertisement

Indeed we seem to have lost our way in the mainstream internet age, you only have to look across the border. It not the only issue but one of the reasons why the likes of the Tories are doing so well even though they have basically fed the English people a **** sandwich for the past 10 years is that they are attacking men or the history of men in the same way that labour and the left are.

The fact is in the UK much like the rest of the modern world we live in is built upon the bones of men.

If i was a citizen i would be very reluctant to vote in the current labor government also.

This is so freaking relevant in what is going on in terms of politics, with the legitimization and support of the far right - not just BoJo's election, it started with Trump - plus the Lega Nord in Italy and countless other examples around the world, I'm sure.

Never before a specific breed of "group thinking" had more resonance, arrogance and power than today with the Internet and Social Media. You can't go a single day without being told how you've got it "easy", how [insert group here] are "discriminated" because of YOU, how what you love is BAD, a rich Swedish child telling you shouldn't fly home to spend Christmas with your family which you didn't see for 12 months and nice amenities like these.

Any argument, no matter how relevant and/or researched, is shouted down by a mob. They cry all sorts of "-ism" they can, but then they do the same with no repercussions. The latest trend is now badly hidden "ageism", with the quite childish "OK boomer." reply used to silence anybody over the age of 40 who dares say anything the Internet mob doesn't agree with. Not to mention the Twitter courts of "justice". It's the most glaring form of bullying of the modern age, but nobody really notices.

What happens then? It happens that people retaliate the only way they can't be shut down from doing - vote. The more extremist, racist, homophobic, sexist, idiotic the position, the better. A case of cutting off the nose to spite the face? Absolutely, but that's what utter frustration leads to. And everyone loses - I'll be curious to see how the "poor areas" of Northern England will fare, when they realize any money coming their side was from development projects financed by the EU, for one.

Advertisement