Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boxing Thread 18/12 (Canelo v Smith & GGG v Szeremeta)

• 18-12-2020 11:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

GGG card on DAZN has started. GGG expected to be in the ring at 1am so not too late.

Pitters v Richards a decent competitive fight about to start on Channel 5 now too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,696 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Morrison J wrote: »
    GGG card on DAZN has started. GGG expected to be in the ring at 1am so not too late.

Pitters v Richards a decent competitive fight about to start on Channel 5 now too.

Lovely stuff...

Will try stay up for GGG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Some finish from Craig Richards knocking out Pitters there. Well worth a watch back for anyone who hasn't seen it. Really good fight.

GGG about to ring walk

Target practice for GGG. Polish lad had nothing on his shots to deter GGG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

What time for the Canelo fight against Smith. I think they said 1PM but is that the ring walk or the start of the whole show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

What time for the Canelo fight against Smith. I think they said 1PM but is that the ring walk or the start of the whole show?

Ringwalk 4am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Ringwalk 4am

Hmm, I was concerned about that!
    I'll forget about it for tonight so, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Great finish from Richards. I joined in the 5th and thought he was starting to look lacking in ideas. His corner told him to double jab and that really improved him. Heavy right hand but the left hook to finish it was a bomb!

GGG got a good workout in and looked impressive enough against a limited opponent who was well chosen for him. He might fight 3-4 more times and I think that’ll be him. Great fighter.

Who you all got for Smith vs Canelo? I’m not staying up for that one. I think Canelo gets to the body and Smith will be in a world of trouble. He looks enormous beside him and so he should have some advantages too. He will need a wand of a jab all night to win this. Think he’ll likely need a stoppage to win and it’s hard to see that happening. But maybe. I’d love Smith to do it so frig it I’m gonna say he stops Canelo in Round 9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Callum Smith is a dangerous fight for Canelo. He's no Rocky Fielding he does possess power and a decent chin.

Biggest size difference I've seen since Pacquiao v Margarito

Actually love to see Smith spring an upset but just really can't see it after that John Ryder performance. Think Canelo will abuse his body and stop him late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Yeah. Feel like if canelo can finish kovalev, he can finish tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

Anyone watching this. Any chance canelo is rusty and caught cold.

I'm watching. Weirdly enough I think Smith is going to KO Canelo. The size difference is so massive that I can't see Canelo getting a KO. Think Smith is going to use his reach to jab him to the point of frustration and he'll catch with a hook once Canelo can't get inside him. But then again I've about 7 cans in me so I'm probably just talking utter scutter.

Edit: Love myself a good national anthem. What a stupid tradition that boxing has yet to shake off.

eggy81 wrote: »
    Anyone watching this. Any chance canelo is rusty and caught cold.

Would genuinely shock me given his chin and defence but we'll see. He usually feels his way into these types of fights and takes over as the rounds go on.

I'm watching. Weirdly enough I think Smith is going to KO Canelo. The size difference is so massive that I can't see Canelo getting a KO. Think Smith is going to use his reach to jab him to the point of frustration and he'll catch with a hook once Canelo can't get inside him. But then again I've about 7 cans in me so I'm probably just talking utter scutter.

Edit: Love myself a good national anthem. What a stupid tradition that boxing has yet to shake off.
    I’m in a similar situation cans wise, hence a fiver on smith for the craic. In reality canelo probably rips his body to pieces. I’d really like to see canelo beaten for some reason

Yeah his body shots against Fielding were a thing of beauty. Completely shut him down. Good to see the host nation get a national anthem, next thing to get a national anthem is the manufacturers of the cameras and then another anthem for the textile manufacturers of the ropes....

Yeah his body shots against Fielding were a thing of beauty. Completely shut him down. Good to see the host nation get a national anthem, next thing to get a national anthem is the manufacturers of the cameras and then another anthem for the textile manufacturers of the ropes....

I was just wondering was he American or a Mexican. They love him in USA.

Can’t believe he entered the ring to the old sports stadium ditty. Unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Is Michael Buffer speaking to us from beyond the grave?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Is Michael Buffer speaking to us from beyond the grave?

It’s digital Michael buffer. If he stumbles in his speech we can say he’s buffering.

I’ll grab the coat there now😳

• Advertisement

Why the f*ck did they get Buffer to do a virtual intro for both fighters only for the in ring announcer to do the same thing? Joke shop tbh. That along with the Champion walking out first and the challenger walking out second.

It’s digital Michael buffer. If he stumbles in his speech we can say he’s buffering.

I’ll grab the coat there now��

:D:D niiiiiice

Size difference is crazy.

Fair play to Canelo 5'8 is small for super middleweight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I’ll grab the coat there now��

Cleanest shot of the night.

Haven't given Smith a round. Pure domination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,162 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Smith doesn't deserve to last the distance here, huge gulf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

There's more power in my dick than smith,just another british fighter exsposed on the world stage,bye bye.............

Knockout incoming. Smith has been really poor. Standing in a hunched stance since 1st minute to limit damage. Afraid to let hands go. He’ll be kod I think

Smith's corner has been terrible. No real instructions. Basically spoent most of that time asking if he was okay to continue with no advice on what to do.

• Advertisement

Smith's corner has been terrible. No real instructions. Basically spoent most of that time asking if he was okay to continue with no advice on what to do.

Joe f*cking Gallagher. ****e trainer

Billy Joe Saunders gives Canelo a good fight I think. He'd be motivated for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

gave it a good go, no way Saunders would beat canelo, hasnt got enough power to keep canelo off and doubt Saunders chin is as good as smiths, has canelo ever been rocked, seems to have granite chin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Easy night for Canelo.

Beterbiev at 175 is the one. Doubt Canelo would ever take it though.

This media team absolutely love canelo. He’s in goat territory with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Got up and read the fight report. Thought f**k that thank God I didn’t stay up. Little did I think I’d get such a kick out of the commentary on here!! You enjoyed the cans lads!!

Smith seemingly exposed badly here. Canelo got inside the jab with no trouble. His body work is fantastic. I really want to see BJS in with him though. He’s got better movement to cope with Canelo. The lack of power is the problem so I don’t think Canelo would have to be overly careful to get to him.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Beterbiev at 175 is the one. Doubt Canelo would ever take it though.

Canelo has no fear

I am 6 rds in and know the result

No surprise. Smith not really in to win. Moving back all the time..

Canelo having his way...

Another Brit fighter exposed..

Really enjoy how you can wake up just go straight to the fight on the DAZN app.

Very good performance from Canelo. Smith let himself get bullied. I also think Smith’s corner was crap.

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    gave it a good go, no way Saunders would beat canelo, hasnt got enough power to keep canelo off and doubt Saunders chin is as good as smiths, has canelo ever been rocked, seems to have granite chin.

Not just chin

Ridiculously sturdy frame..

He has been badly hurt..Canelo v Cotto years ago. Not Miguel.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Not just chin

Ridiculously sturdy frame..

He has been badly hurt..Canelo v Cotto years ago. Not Miguel.

GGG definitely rocked him at one point, I think it was Round 11 of the second fight.
    Yes I saw that with Cotto’s older brother but Canelo was just a teenager at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Really enjoy how you can wake up just go straight to the fight on the DAZN app.

Was happy with this myself. I was watching the ring walks live and then I just woke up at 9am. Can't do this staying up for Vegas fights stuff anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,984 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I understand the warrior mentality, but a fight like that could take a few years off Callum Smith's career. When it was clear he had no chance of winning the corner should have pulled him out
    You have to admire his sheer toughness to go the distance(apparently he tore his bicep in the 2nd round)

The shots Canelo landed would have knocked out most fighters. The thing about Canelo is he makes fighters reluctant to throw for fear of what is coming back. I got the impression after a few rounds, Smith knew he was outclassed and just wanted to go the distance.

It's hard to see who beats Canelo, unless he steps up to heavyweight:D

As was said it won't be Saunders. I think triple G will lose a third fight to Canelo.
    Beterbiev might be the only one who can.

I stayed up to watch the fight, but i think this will be the last time I do it.

walshb wrote: »
    Canelo has no fear

We'll see. I still think a lot of the fights he takes are calculated. I'll never forget him binning his belt instead of fighting a more in-prime Golovkin.

Finished the fight..

Smith was, as I thought, a bit too respectful. He didn’t try hard enough, and when he did try, his power wasn’t troubling Canelo. No surprise. Smith has beaten nobody..

Smith showed a good chin and body. Canelo was putting all his power into some shots and Smith took them well, albeit taking the sting out of most them by partially blocking them..

There are not many challenges at 168 for Canelo

I can think of three: Plant, Benavidez and Saunders..

Canelo bests all for me..

I’d love to see him dismantle Saunders, and then move to 175 to fight Bivol. That would be a barn burner..

Saunders’ awkwardness and feet would pose issues, but that is about it. I’d predict Canelo to KO Saunders..

I thought there was a huge improvement in Canelo's engine last night.
    he didn't take any lazy rounds like he did against Kovalev (and even GGG at tie). It was work, work, work and he was even on on his feet between rounds at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Butson

First weekend as a Dazn subscriber and very impressed.
    Watched GGG on Saturday morning and Canelo this morning when I got up. Replays on app straight away, highlights or full fight.
    Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Coneygree

168 looks like his perfect weight. For all the hate he gets for judges cards, strategic match ups and tainted meat, he's going out there and crafting an iron clad legacy for himself. It was always thought that Golovkin would be the one to go up to super middle and light heavy to win belts but its Cinnamon who's doing it. He's only 30, plenty fighting left in him even close to his 60th fight, it all depends on his hunger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

I predicted UD beforehand and only watched it all this morning and no shock really. I would go along with Andrade on co commentary that Smith wasnt there to win really. Bottom line Canelo was walking him down the whole fight and while respect to Smith for lasting the course it was really a mismatch. The bite from the shots were all Canelo as were the head movement, jabs, uppercuts, hooks etc etc.

Height and reach are meaningless if you are on the Canelo level. After Smith said he was surprised at Canelo's jab! Sometimes you would really wonder what world the brits live in.

DAZN commentary was annoying. In the 9th when Smith was leaning on the ropes one of them mentioned that would merit a knockdown and then walked it back. Then at the end there was an argument with Mora over whether Canelo was a 3 or 4 time division Champion. Mercifully youtube link cut off then!

I wasnt an advocate for the Golovkin trilogy before this weekend but now why not?! I would disagree with Canelo sparking Saunders as I think he would be a better matchup but again dont see anything less than a UD. Having been at the Fielding "fight" maybe stay away from dispatching brits!

I like Canelo and rate him, but have to think that the older SMWs from years gone by would be too good...

Imagine a prime Kessler/Froch/Ward/Calzaghe in there....

They'd be far more dangerous than Callum bleedin' Smith.

Barring a Canelo KO, which I don't think he gets, I reckon Calzaghe eats him up with speed, feet, angles, roughness and busyness.

Froch would have the chin and power to really bother Canelo....and far taller and likely physically stronger

Ward; No need to say much here....

Kessler.....too strong and hits quite hard as well....take a great shot himself...

• Advertisement
Advertisement