Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing Thread 18/12 (Canelo v Smith & GGG v Szeremeta)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Billy Joe Saunders gives Canelo a good fight I think. He'd be motivated for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

gave it a good go, no way Saunders would beat canelo, hasnt got enough power to keep canelo off and doubt Saunders chin is as good as smiths, has canelo ever been rocked, seems to have granite chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Easy night for Canelo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Beterbiev at 175 is the one. Doubt Canelo would ever take it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭eggy81

This media team absolutely love canelo. He’s in goat territory with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Got up and read the fight report. Thought f**k that thank God I didn’t stay up. Little did I think I’d get such a kick out of the commentary on here!! You enjoyed the cans lads!!

Smith seemingly exposed badly here. Canelo got inside the jab with no trouble. His body work is fantastic. I really want to see BJS in with him though. He’s got better movement to cope with Canelo. The lack of power is the problem so I don’t think Canelo would have to be overly careful to get to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,592 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Morrison J wrote: »
    Beterbiev at 175 is the one. Doubt Canelo would ever take it though.

Canelo has no fear

I am 6 rds in and know the result

No surprise. Smith not really in to win. Moving back all the time..

Canelo having his way...

Another Brit fighter exposed..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Really enjoy how you can wake up just go straight to the fight on the DAZN app.

Very good performance from Canelo. Smith let himself get bullied. I also think Smith’s corner was crap.

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    gave it a good go, no way Saunders would beat canelo, hasnt got enough power to keep canelo off and doubt Saunders chin is as good as smiths, has canelo ever been rocked, seems to have granite chin.

Not just chin

Ridiculously sturdy frame..

He has been badly hurt..Canelo v Cotto years ago. Not Miguel.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Not just chin

Ridiculously sturdy frame..

He has been badly hurt..Canelo v Cotto years ago. Not Miguel.

GGG definitely rocked him at one point, I think it was Round 11 of the second fight.
    Yes I saw that with Cotto’s older brother but Canelo was just a teenager at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Really enjoy how you can wake up just go straight to the fight on the DAZN app.

Was happy with this myself. I was watching the ring walks live and then I just woke up at 9am. Can't do this staying up for Vegas fights stuff anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I understand the warrior mentality, but a fight like that could take a few years off Callum Smith's career. When it was clear he had no chance of winning the corner should have pulled him out
    You have to admire his sheer toughness to go the distance(apparently he tore his bicep in the 2nd round)

The shots Canelo landed would have knocked out most fighters. The thing about Canelo is he makes fighters reluctant to throw for fear of what is coming back. I got the impression after a few rounds, Smith knew he was outclassed and just wanted to go the distance.

It's hard to see who beats Canelo, unless he steps up to heavyweight:D

As was said it won't be Saunders. I think triple G will lose a third fight to Canelo.
    Beterbiev might be the only one who can.

I stayed up to watch the fight, but i think this will be the last time I do it.

Canelo has no fear

We'll see. I still think a lot of the fights he takes are calculated. I'll never forget him binning his belt instead of fighting a more in-prime Golovkin.

Finished the fight..

Smith was, as I thought, a bit too respectful. He didn’t try hard enough, and when he did try, his power wasn’t troubling Canelo. No surprise. Smith has beaten nobody..

Smith showed a good chin and body. Canelo was putting all his power into some shots and Smith took them well, albeit taking the sting out of most them by partially blocking them..

There are not many challenges at 168 for Canelo

I can think of three: Plant, Benavidez and Saunders..

Canelo bests all for me..

I’d love to see him dismantle Saunders, and then move to 175 to fight Bivol. That would be a barn burner..

Saunders’ awkwardness and feet would pose issues, but that is about it. I’d predict Canelo to KO Saunders..

I thought there was a huge improvement in Canelo's engine last night.
    he didn't take any lazy rounds like he did against Kovalev (and even GGG at tie). It was work, work, work and he was even on on his feet between rounds at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Butson

First weekend as a Dazn subscriber and very impressed.
    Watched GGG on Saturday morning and Canelo this morning when I got up. Replays on app straight away, highlights or full fight.
    Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

168 looks like his perfect weight. For all the hate he gets for judges cards, strategic match ups and tainted meat, he's going out there and crafting an iron clad legacy for himself. It was always thought that Golovkin would be the one to go up to super middle and light heavy to win belts but its Cinnamon who's doing it. He's only 30, plenty fighting left in him even close to his 60th fight, it all depends on his hunger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

I predicted UD beforehand and only watched it all this morning and no shock really. I would go along with Andrade on co commentary that Smith wasnt there to win really. Bottom line Canelo was walking him down the whole fight and while respect to Smith for lasting the course it was really a mismatch. The bite from the shots were all Canelo as were the head movement, jabs, uppercuts, hooks etc etc.

Height and reach are meaningless if you are on the Canelo level. After Smith said he was surprised at Canelo's jab! Sometimes you would really wonder what world the brits live in.

DAZN commentary was annoying. In the 9th when Smith was leaning on the ropes one of them mentioned that would merit a knockdown and then walked it back. Then at the end there was an argument with Mora over whether Canelo was a 3 or 4 time division Champion. Mercifully youtube link cut off then!

I wasnt an advocate for the Golovkin trilogy before this weekend but now why not?! I would disagree with Canelo sparking Saunders as I think he would be a better matchup but again dont see anything less than a UD. Having been at the Fielding "fight" maybe stay away from dispatching brits!

I like Canelo and rate him, but have to think that the older SMWs from years gone by would be too good...

Imagine a prime Kessler/Froch/Ward/Calzaghe in there....

They'd be far more dangerous than Callum bleedin' Smith.

Barring a Canelo KO, which I don't think he gets, I reckon Calzaghe eats him up with speed, feet, angles, roughness and busyness.

Froch would have the chin and power to really bother Canelo....and far taller and likely physically stronger

Ward; No need to say much here....

Kessler.....too strong and hits quite hard as well....take a great shot himself...

• Advertisement

I like Canelo and rate him, but have to think that the older SMWs from years gone by would be too good...

Imagine a prime Kessler/Froch/Ward/Calzaghe in there....

They'd be far more dangerous than Callum bleedin Smith,

Barring a Canelo KO, which I don;t think he gets, I reckon Calzaghe eats him up with speed, feet, angles, roughness and busyness.

Froch would have the chin and power to really bother Canelo....and far taller and likely physically stronger

Ward; No need to say much here....

Kessler.....too strong and hits quite hard as well....take a great shot himself...

Froch would only beat canelo because he'd have 80'000 fans behind him!:D

Froch is tough, but he was limited enough. There is no way he beats Canelo.
    Ward and Calzaghe probably would beat him.

I disagree that Smith did not not go there to win, of course he did. It's simply that he was outclassed by a better fighter. The moment they both smiled at each other in one of the late rounds summed up the contest for me. Smith's landed a punch and tried to follow it up , that punch would have landed against a lesser opponent, but Canelo saw it coming. Smith in that moment was acknowledging Canelo was the better fighter
    I will be surprised if Saunders is keen to face Canelo now. Canelo will stop Saunders if they do match up. He won't be able to take the punishment Smith took.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Funny I was thinking about how much I’d love to see Ward fighting Canelo. I think Ward would demolish him. I’d like to see Hopkins or Taylor in there too it would be vicious. I think Froch too rugged, he’d take some hits on the way in though so hard one to call.

Saunders has great footwork though as well. I don’t think he’s that easy for Canelo to tag. I think GGG would get stopped this time. A prime GGG beats Canelo for me and for me it’s a 1-1.

Canelo is awesome it can’t be denied. I just don’t root for him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Anniepowaa

clueless the lot of ye absolutely no body past or now gets in the ring and demolishes canelo they may win but nobody is demolishing him

Anniepowaa wrote: »
    clueless the lot of ye absolutely no body past or now gets in the ring and demolishes canelo they may win but nobody is demolishing him

AJ :pac:

Anniepowaa wrote: »

I don't think anyone demolishes him.

He has brilliant ring generalship, IQ and smarts to allow him to be competitive

I just think from an era and ATG sense, there are many I would back to beat him at MW to SMW

Same way I think many beat GGG....

Froch is tough, but he was limited enough. There is no way he beats Canelo.
    Ward and Calzaghe probably would beat him.

I disagree that Smith did not not go there to win, of course he did. It's simply that he was outclassed by a better fighter. The moment they both smiled at each other in one of the late rounds summed up the contest for me. Smith's landed a punch and tried to follow it up , that punch would have landed against a lesser opponent, but Canelo saw it coming. Smith in that moment was acknowledging Canelo was the better fighter
    I will be surprised if Saunders is keen to face Canelo now. Canelo will stop Saunders if they do match up. He won't be able to take the punishment Smith took.

I half agree with you on Smith.

It's either he didn't try hard enough, or he is just not that good

I don't think he is that good, and I think he fought a little too casually

A mix of both...

Another hyped Brit fighter who had done nothing of real note.....

He was so languid, labored and slow....looked like a giraffe in how he moved and threw punches...just not that good...

Froch I think would be a very tough fight for Canelo

And, Froch murders Smith by the way.....takes him out....

Froch would be 5 inches taller than Canelo, hit as hard, as physically strong, with a solid chin and body, and could fight and box....fit as a fiddle as well....and not afraid to give it a real go...

Yes, looked a bit awkward, but his size, strength and power combination would see Canelo struggle.....

Canelo is a MW really, and not a huge MW either....

Anyone else think Eubank and Canelo at 168 could be very interesting?

I don't rate Eubank all that much, but he has something about him....a chin, no fear, fit as fook.....a swagger.....and can be very good on defense as well...good inside puncher with decent power and good variation..

I think him and Canelo would make for a great scrap.....

Anyone else think Eubank and Canelo at 168 could be very interesting?

I don't rate Eubank all that much, but he has something about him....a chin, no fear, fit as fook.....a swagger.....and can be very good on defense as well...good inside puncher with decent power and good variation..

I think him and Canelo would make for a great scrap.....
    For a man with no fear he fought with a lot of it against Groves to be fair. Felt his power early and wouldn't engage thereafter. Anyone with a decent jab and bit of movement gives Eubank nightmares. Canelo has way too many tools in his arsenal imo wouldn't lose a round.

• Advertisement

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Funny I was thinking about how much I’d love to see Ward fighting Canelo. I think Ward would demolish him. I’d like to see Hopkins or Taylor in there too it would be vicious. I think Froch too rugged, he’d take some hits on the way in though so hard one to call.

Saunders has great footwork though as well. I don’t think he’s that easy for Canelo to tag. I think GGG would get stopped this time. A prime GGG beats Canelo for me and for me it’s a 1-1.

Canelo is awesome it can’t be denied. I just don’t root for him!

Froch would be tough, but I see him losing widely on points or a possible late tko. Canelo has too much skill for him. Saunders is better than Smith, but again he is not good enough to beat Canelo.

I agree about Triple G, for me he actually won their last fight. He is in decline now, so I think the younger man beats him this time. Canelo in some fights did stack the odds in his favour, but he is a great fighter, and I'm happy i get to see him fight.

Advertisement