Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tommy and Hector Podcast

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Sorolla

The podcast from Tigh Naghtan and Garavans in Galway.

i was pure disgusted at their carry on in this podcast - they all came across as pure obnoxious.

I feel sorry for anyone else that were in these pubs on that day

Hector is really good and I love it when he goes on a long monologue.

Tommy is tedious and Laurita is painful to listen to - always whining

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

What did they say or do to the punters in the pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Even the ad they have out right now thanking people for all the listens ain't funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Why would anyone listen to a pri5k who apologised for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭briany

THL podcast is taking a break until September, it looks like. Pity for me as it was one of the only podcasts I would be actively looking forward to. Time to go back into the archives...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I always listen but I'm a bit behind. Break coming at a good time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I don't listen to this crap anymore. What I don't like:

• Laurita is a PITA
    • Tommy is funny but gets too creepy too often; obsessed with sex
    • it's very drink-orientated: that seems to be all they do
    • it's very "country"; as a Dub I found this interesting at first, but now, nah
    • the material went downhill quickly; it's not funny to me anymore at all

There's way better stuff out there: check out Top Flight Time Machine. Now that's funny, in between the rare occasions that the two lads on it rant about their political world view (which is the opposite to mine), but I can forgive them that because the rest of it is hilarious, especially when they start doing the interpretations (Johnny Fanny Powder, Kevin Keegan, Roy Keane, etc.).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

What is a PITA?

Before I start listening to Top Flight Time Machine. What are the lads political world views, and how often do they bring it up. Only so much rhetoric I can listen to before switching off.

PITA = Pain In The Ass

The TFTM lad's politics are liberal, left-wing, and PC. They don't often go on rants about their politics, but it happens now and then. It's easy to bear with it and continue listening because it's so funny: both of the lads (it's a duo) are great. It begins as a football podcast, with them discussing life and football and stuff, but evolves in many ways after a while. They have this thing of going into deep-dives of various books (Roy Keane's biographies, The Twits (Roald Dahl), Kevin Keegan's biography, Roy of the Rovers annuals), each spread over many episodes. You'd have to really give it a season or so to see if you like it or not. It's been going since 2018, with about 5 half-hour episodes each week, so there's millions of episodes by now. The best bits are when the lads do their impressions. Gas. Listening to them do Roy Keane and Kevin Keegan is very funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

"They have this thing of going into deep-dives of various books (Roy Keane's biographies, The Twits (Roald Dahl), Kevin Keegan's biography, Roy of the Rovers annuals), each spread over many episodes."

As described that sounds incredibly tedious and boring. To poo-poo the THL podcast and use that as justification for why your suggested alternative is better falls flat straight away. Reading someone else's writing and cracking wise as you go sounds easy, but to do so on the fly in during organic conversation like THL is hard in comparison

As described that sounds incredibly tedious and boring.

Perhaps, but I can't do TFTM justice by simply describing it in my own words; for someone to understand it and appreciate it, it needs to be listened to.

To poo-poo the THL podcast and use that as justification for why your suggested alternative is better falls flat straight away.

I'm merely giving my own, personal opinion of THL podcast. I used to like it, but not anymore. What I'm saying is TFTM is funny, and THL podcast isn't. My opinion.

Reading someone else's writing and cracking wise as you go sounds easy, but to do so on the fly in during organic conversation like THL is hard in comparison

You're talking about something you know nothing about. I've listened to both, so I know what I'm talking about. Both podcasts have "organic conversation", but TFTM is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Another fan of Top Flight Time Machine here too - got into it early on (via Athletico Mince) and find it hilarious.... especially the Deep Dives which almost never stay on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to bring this back for another season. They've flogged it to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Are people still listening to this rubbish?

Nice one! It's back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

This was alright for about 3 episodes and then became samey. I find Tiernan is best enjoyed in very small doses.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

Hector tries, but when tommy isn't in the mood it's hard to drag anything funny out of him. Just constant snipes disguised as "jokes".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I'm fine with laurita tbh most of the time. In the last episode Hector was talking about getting in loads of steps, tommy seemed a bit jealous and keep interrupting him with really unfunny "jokes". Tommy and laurita kept doing an over the top fake loud laugh. That's when she annoys me. The rest of the show was good, Hectors story about lsd and a car crash in Bilbao was mad

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dee_888

I don't know why I listen to this podcast, I used to love it but I think it has run out of steam. I agree with other posters its very samey...Tommy dominates the whole show and Laurita is like his nasty little side kick with no thoughts or opinions of her own. She just parrots back everything Tommy says. They are both assholes to Hector, I think that is why he was so quiet on the Late Late, the dynamics of the trio are not good...This week again Tommy wants to talk about sex...come on people change the script. Get some intelligent ppl on as guests...its so dull now!! I am still scratching my head and the Laurita and Joe Brolly Union...wouldn't have put those two together!!

• Advertisement

the glamorous brunette...ya it's an odd one alright kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭GavPJ

The THL podcast is gone for eternity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

That was all very sudden. Was there any announcement on the final podcast?

Seems a bit strange that it was just quietly let go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I found it got very samey very quickly. Tiernan in particular is best enjoyed in small doses. I can there being more podcasts announcing they are wrapping up this year. Saturated market and not enough to differentiate most of them.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

They did well to knock 4 years out of it considering it's just the three of them sitting around having a chat.

It had run out of steam...they spent most of the time picking on each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,234 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I used to love it around Autumn/Winter 2020. Kept the spirits up during hat bleak lockdown. Got old fairly quickly after that.

They made a few quid out of it so fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,220 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yep that format has a short shelf life, im amazed it lasted as long as it did,

compare to smartless which is again 3 friends ragging on each other but they have a guest each week, gives it a lot more longevity.

They should start it up again, minus yer wan from Mayo.

Tommy to me comes across as a bit of an arsehole. While funny, and good craic, he seems a bit bit bitter at Hector sometimes. Interrupting stories that Hector is telling, and not in a funny way, more of a snide way.

I might be reading too much into it, but Tommy I think wants to be doing things Hector does (into gaa, horse racing, being able to do a bit of building etc) because that's what he imagines an auld lad in the country which he wants to be, should be into. Seems like he's a bit lost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement