Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiced Beef?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

dePeatrick wrote: »
    30 years ago no one in Cork had ever heard of it, I introduced it to Cork people and have watched how over the decades it has been adopted and now stated as their own. I had reason to research it over 30 years back and the only historical reference in existence referring to Spiced Beef came from the Midlands.

Now there are dozens particularly in Cork claiming century old traditions of making it. Doesn’t matter in the scheme of things, just interesting to watch something like this happen and see how greedy people can be to claim something as their own.

Like I said previously - you are 100% wrong on this. I’m late 50’s and have been eating this since childhood as did my parents and grandparents before me. I’ll just leave this with you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiced_beef

You’re welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭VG31

30 years ago no one in Cork had ever heard of it, I introduced it to Cork people and have watched how over the decades it has been adopted and now stated as their own. I had reason to research it over 30 years back and the only historical reference in existence referring to Spiced Beef came from the Midlands.

Wow! You personally introduced it to Cork people? :rolleyes:

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Like I said previously - you are 100% wrong on this. I’m late 50’s and have been eating this since childhood as did my parents and grandparents before me. I’ll just leave this with you:

My grandparents are from Cork, they've been eating spiced beef for a lot longer than 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

My family are from Kilkenny and they have always eaten Spiced beef :) Not just a Cork thing ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

My family are all from Kilkenny and none of them ever heard of having spiced beef! It's funny how everyone is different. :D

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    My family are all from Kilkenny and none of them ever heard of having spiced beef! It's funny how everyone is different. :D

Depends on what side of the county :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Autosport wrote: »
    Depends on what side of the county :D

Just asked my cousin from Ballyhale, his text back, word for word... 'wouldn't touch that cork shi+e'

Take from that what you will.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Just asked my cousin from Ballyhale, his text back, word for word... 'wouldn't touch that cork shi+e'

:D

DvB wrote: »

I take from that the recognition of it being from Cork - which is true :D

Case closed. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Its not exclusively from Cork , it's a hangover from the provisioning trade a couple of hundred years , ( sticking food into barrels to take across the atlantic )
    It needed to be salted to preserve it and spiced to cover up the bad flavours when it started to go off ..
    It was common in lots of port cities , it just became a christmas thing in parts of cork city ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Not a single reference to do with it...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Not a single reference to back it up...but off ya go, it has to be a ‘Cork’ thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,139 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Cork things; tripe, langer, spiced beef & drisheen.

Not a single reference to back it up...but off ya go, it has to be a ‘Cork’ thing.

Spiced beef is a form of salt beef, cured with spices and braised or boiled. It is a traditional festive dish in many countries. In England and Wales it has been known for more than 300 years, but is known to have originated from Co. Cork, Ireland. It remains a traditional Christmas or New Year dish in Ireland, but in particular Cork

Did you even read the article? I copied and pasted the first paragraph for you.

Seriously!!!!!!!!!

Did you even read the article? I copied and pasted the first paragraph for you.

Seriously!!!!!!!!!

I think it's a case of don't feed the troll at this stage.

VG31 wrote: »
    I think it's a case of don't feed the troll at this stage.

I think you might be right there :)

I think we can leave the spiced beef discussion now until Christmas. Already can't wait for my sandwiches and batch bread. :)

ie@cork.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement