Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spiced Beef?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Wednesday 4th November forever remembered as the day of the Spiced Beef!

What will tomorrow bring?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

My OH spotted it in the Aldi Christmas book the other day and decided we should try it sometime over Christmas. Christmas sambos are a big thing in our house, spiced beef sounds perfect for them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

The last 2 years I got it in FX Buckley butchers. There is one right beside work which I pass on the way to the Luas - pre Covid and working from home. (I used to get a lot of our meat there, and miss their banter in the evenings). I will drive into the city centre once Level 5 is lifted to get it from them I think!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

We had it last year and it was really lovely. It's going to be a regular in our house every Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I think I'm going to get it early this year actually and use it for sandwiches in December. While I like it a lot, there's so much other nice food on the Christmas days I'd like the chance to play around with sandwiches etc and since I'm working from home....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I bought a batch loaf last Christmas eve, and it just made the nicest Christmas sandwiches. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

We have it in our house every year. It's my favourite part of the Christmas Dinner! :) My grandparents are from Cork, not many people seem to have it in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Quazzie wrote: »
    Anyone know where this can be bought in the Midlands?

I've seen it in Supervalu's and Dunnes but usually closer to Xmas time.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

We are starting to make it next week so its ready for Dec 10th or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Bumping this. What sauce goes best with spiced beef in a sandwich? Horseradish or something sweet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Cienciano wrote: »
    Bumping this. What sauce goes best with spiced beef in a sandwich? Horseradish or something sweet?

I don't put any sauce on it.Cut it as thin as possible and load it into a crusty bread roll .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I got it in SuperValu in Limerick yesterday and cooked it last night. The house was full of Christmas smells.

When making a sandwich, I like a nice mustard, preferably dijon, with salad leaves. Cut it very thinly. If no dijon, maybe some mayo with english mustard.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ShamrockAir

2 slices of butter bread. Sliced spiced beef in it. Cover with grated cheese and in to the microwave for 1 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Fresh bread and spiced beef with some chef brown sauce :) Divine!!!

Boiled my beef this morning for an hour and a half. Can't wait for sambos. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

Posy, Once boiled, keep in the water overnight and allow to cool. Put the spices back over it and put in tin foil. Slice thinly and eat cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Timistry wrote: »
    Posy, Once boiled, keep in the water overnight and allow to cool. Put the spices back over it and put in tin foil. Slice thinly and eat cold.

Thinner the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,828 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought it was a Cork thing, tastes like cornbeef brisket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I bought it last year. Yuck. Like eating beef that a bottle of perfume spilt all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

It's not a Cork thing, I have been eating it in the midlands since I was a kid and trust me that was a long long time ago... I researched it years back as it was the only dish I had come across that only people in the midlands were aware of and sure enough it was only available in the midlands centuries ago. I lived and worked in Cork and introduced dozens of people to it, none had ever come across it before but in true Cork fashion they now claim to be the originator of it. :(

So after decades of promoting it I now see both Dublin and Cork claiming it as their own, not like we in the midlands can claim many dishes as ours but thar ya go...paper never refuses ink and Cork and Dublin people are desperate to claim any cuisine as theirs, I wonder why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Love me the spiced beef, but it's really nice hot out of the pot, no need to wait for it to cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I really like it. It’s a tradition in my family.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

dePeatrick wrote: »
    It's not a Cork thing, I have been eating it in the midlands since I was a kid and trust me that was a long long time ago... I researched it years back as it was the only dish I had come across that only people in the midlands were aware of and sure enough it was only available in the midlands centuries ago. I lived and worked in Cork and introduced dozens of people to it, none had ever come across it before but in true Cork fashion they now claim to be the originator of it. :(

So after decades of promoting it I now see both Dublin and Cork claiming it as their own, not like we in the midlands can claim many dishes as ours but thar ya go...paper never refuses ink and Cork and Dublin people are desperate to claim any cuisine as theirs, I wonder why?

Well to be honest, as a Dub you can keep it, I wouldn't be rushing to claim it as it's awful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I think it came from England a few hundred years ago but has largely died out there but was kept here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

As far as I know ,it was how beef was preserved in the past , so anywhere that was in involved
    in the provisioning trade ( barreled beef for ships ) would have done it ,
    If you get the outside bit it's manky .. but the rest is as good as any pastrami ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

As a dub, born and bred i can hand on heart say I've never ever heard of spiced beef being claimed as a Dublin dish. Remember hearing about it on here and asking around about it, universally it was described back to me as a Cork area thing.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

DvB wrote: »
    As a dub, born and bred i can hand on heart say I've never ever heard of spiced beef being claimed as a Dublin dish. Remember hearing about it on here and asking around about it, universally it was described back to me as a Cork area thing.

Same here. I've only ever heard of it being originally from Cork.

I assumed it was a Cork thing too, never heard of it in Dublin at all!
    The last of my beef was devoured tonight on batch bread, sooo good. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

100% wrong. This is absolutely a Cork tradition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

30 years ago no one in Cork had ever heard of it, I introduced it to Cork people and have watched how over the decades it has been adopted and now stated as their own. I had reason to research it over 30 years back and the only historical reference in existence referring to Spiced Beef came from the Midlands.

Now there are dozens particularly in Cork claiming century old traditions of making it. Doesn’t matter in the scheme of things, just interesting to watch something like this happen and see how greedy people can be to claim something as their own.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement